Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I can't stand most of today's popular music. I've come to this conclusion (maybe "again") tonight, since our neighbour's daughter (in a nice section of single detached one-family homes in a suburban/rural community), is celebrating her fifteenths birthday. It was announced to the neighbours, and neither my wife and I are spoil-sports (in spite of my age I remember being fifteen myself), but the fact we are not complaining about the noise (I rarely go to bed before midnight anyway, and it is 22:45 right now) doesn't mean that we enjoy the music. It's all the same stuff with electronic drums and autotune and identical rhythms and so on. My wife says she never enjoyed rock music with guitar solos etc. (of the bands from the 60s to, say, the 90s - she never got into those in her home) either, but for me this is a very big break. The music they play tonight sounds as if it was all created by the same computer program. I refused to listen and quite even turning on any radio station when Rap came out, but it seems to be all over the place now. I'll be glad when the party tonight is over, though I hope those young people have fun until then.

Here's why modern music sucks:
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Venutius wrote: »
    The older I get, the more Meldrew I get! I love music but if I can hear anyone else's I hate it, no matter what it is. And I hate any kind of parties, man. Gatherings of people...it's not for me. No, I'm not a psycho - I'm a nice bloke when I'm in a room on my own and I can't see or hear anyone else... ;)

I had to look up "Meldrew" (never heard of him, not being British), and you may be ironic here, but yeah, I don't like mass gatherings, either, and try to stay clear if I can avoid them. And my post wasn't meant to express that I hate everybody else's music, but just the stuff they play on the radio today. I had a similar feeling around 1980, when I stopped listening to popular music entirely, only to get into discovering some of the work from back then in the 2000s and appreciating some of it a lot (say Sting, one of my favourites since then, seen him and even Police three times in big live concerts), and some not at all (say Oasis, Nirvana - bought one album by each and never replayed it). Hasn't changed. But maybe once I'll be 85 and demented and start liking rap.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2023 Posts: 17,809
    The older I get, the more Meldrew I get! I love music but if I can hear anyone else's I hate it, no matter what it is. And I hate any kind of parties, man. Gatherings of people...it's not for me. No, I'm not a psycho - I'm a nice bloke when I'm in a room on my own and I can't see or hear anyone else... ;)

I had to look up "Meldrew" (never heard of him, not being British), and you may be ironic here, but yeah, I don't like mass gatherings, either, and try to stay clear if I can avoid them. And my post wasn't meant to express that I hate everybody else's music, but just the stuff they play on the radio today. I had a similar feeling around 1980, when I stopped listening to popular music entirely, only to get into discovering some of the work from back then in the 2000s and appreciating some of it a lot (say Sting, one of my favourites since then, seen him and even Police three times in big live concerts), and some not at all (say Oasis, Nirvana - bought one album by each and never replayed it). Hasn't changed. But maybe once I'll be 85 and demented and start liking rap.

And then, like Victor Meldrew, you'll be going "I don't believe it!"

I do largely agree about the music of today, though. Based on what I hear coming from my nephews' cars as they go by it's just tuneless noise that they're into nowadays. I also like Sting and The Police by the way.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I can't stand most of today's popular music. I've come to this conclusion (maybe "again") tonight, since our neighbour's daughter (in a nice section of single detached one-family homes in a suburban/rural community), is celebrating her fifteenths birthday. It was announced to the neighbours, and neither my wife and I are spoil-sports (in spite of my age I remember being fifteen myself), but the fact we are not complaining about the noise (I rarely go to bed before midnight anyway, and it is 22:45 right now) doesn't mean that we enjoy the music. It's all the same stuff with electronic drums and autotune and identical rhythms and so on. My wife says she never enjoyed rock music with guitar solos etc. (of the bands from the 60s to, say, the 90s - she never got into those in her home) either, but for me this is a very big break. The music they play tonight sounds as if it was all created by the same computer program. I refused to listen and quite even turning on any radio station when Rap came out, but it seems to be all over the place now. I'll be glad when the party tonight is over, though I hope those young people have fun until then.

Thanks for that video. Explains a lot. I thought I was getting old early, but it actually IS all the same..
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Art do have standards, just like in acting or in films, that's the same as music.
    Just like picking the next Bond actor and looking into the modern actors' talents, these days, you couldn't find new actors like Cary Grant, Tony Curtis, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and the likes.

That's the same as music, before then, music was very much creative, more talented where musicians could write their own songs, compose their own songs, and play their own songs, and not just that, the lyrics in their song do have a meaning, and those songs written back in the day were really deep, some of them are poetic (look at Simon and Garfunkel or Seals and Crofts, for example).

Now, there are no musicians, only artists, with modern songs that's just didn't makes sense anymore, they can dance, some of them can play instruments, but they couldn't still be considered as musicians because of what I've mentioned above are lacking in them.

When I think of music, those are what qualifies (how the songs are written, their meanings, the compositions and the tunes), nowadays, those are fads, not real music.

Actually, music (if we're looking back in history) are very much high quality that those people wanting to create music are going to conservatories or oratories to practice music, it's being thought, some of them did have experiences by working in choirs or church, and learning different types of notes.

Nowadays, just like the CGIs in the films, almost all of the music now are made of synthesizers and auto-tunes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,552
    The funny thing is that I stopped being on the same musical wavelength as my peers when I turned about 13. That's when I discovered that film music could actually be bought on CD. It changed my life. Since then, my musical diet consists of roughly 95% film music and 5% "other stuff". Saying goodbye to "contemporary music" is something I did almost three decades ago. To tell you the truth, it cost me more friends than it gained me. Because while some of my classmates were visiting clubs with loud beats, I was attending the occasional film music concert.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Here's why modern music sucks: ...

Terrific and highly interesting. So I guess "it isn't just me"...phew. Thanks for the link, @Ludovico!

Thanks for that video. Explains a lot. I thought I was getting old early, but it actually IS all the same..

That video was a true eye opener. And kind of depressing.

That video was a true eye opener. And kind of depressing.

It was my pleasure.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That video may have held few surprises for actual current musicians, but for me it was very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Do I have anything to rant about? (I never have done that here). :-? Not really.
    The only thing going on in my life near that is the exchange rate. Which will KILL my savings that I have worked so hard for. Yes, I am FINALLY leaving Japan! :) After 14 years here[/i], working 6 days a week (sometimes felt like the Beatles song, though). And although it's luverly the U.S. dollar into Japan gives me a lot more yen (so I am making ends meet comfortably on my little Social Security income) - the reverse is awful.

So before I fly home and relocate in the U.S., I will be sending my long-term savings. And will lose (if close to today's rate) maybe more than $4,000. At least. Like just throwing it in the trash. Seeing as my relocation expenses such as airfare plus all other relocation moving costs will be costing me thousands, I need every bit I can manage to save. I am fully retired now (thank God!) but very low income category. Hey ho, c'est la vie. But man, how I rate the exchange rate.

No way around it. I am trying to hang in here through December at least. First of all to see my friends plenty of times, and places I love (autumn is gorgeous here!) but also because the exchange rate maybe - just maybe! - improve by Dec/Jan. I need more dollars for my yen. And no, I could not have done this sooner really because I had to keep a certain level here for emergency (say, if I needed surgery or disaster evacuation) and also, crucially, because the main bulk was not given to me until I actually retired in full from my long-term employer. By then, the rate was up. Not as bad as now, but enough to give me pause.

Other than that, I am not complaining. B-)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Richard Thompson - Oops I Did It Again (4:11)

Richard Thompson- I Feel So Good (Songwriter's Circle) (2:59)
    60afdd58d73bb7e4d78c3eeaedd1f9c6f1eb3c43.gifv
    Good music is good music regardless of type and era. I make room for just about anything if I like it. I find there is more in the 60s and 80s that I like, but not to the exclusion of other decades.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 14,834
    Richard Thompson - Oops I Did It Again (4:11)

Richard Thompson- I Feel So Good (Songwriter's Circle) (2:59)
    60afdd58d73bb7e4d78c3eeaedd1f9c6f1eb3c43.gifv

Nope. I don't think it improves significantly from the original. Or at all, to be honest. It certainly doesn't take anything away from the argument in the video I shares. Besides, it would be like saying Salieri's march of welcome in Amadeus is good because Non piu andrai.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's just just fun as presented. Take it as you choose.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Good music is good music regardless of type and era.
    Agreed. There's only one thing that matters: do you like it or not?

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Do I have anything to rant about? (I never have done that here). :-? Not really.
    The only thing going on in my life near that is the exchange rate. Which will KILL my savings that I have worked so hard for. Yes, I am FINALLY leaving Japan! :) After 14 years here[/i], working 6 days a week (sometimes felt like the Beatles song, though). And although it's luverly the U.S. dollar into Japan gives me a lot more yen (so I am making ends meet comfortably on my little Social Security income) - the reverse is awful.

So before I fly home and relocate in the U.S., I will be sending my long-term savings. And will lose (if close to today's rate) maybe more than $4,000. At least. Like just throwing it in the trash. Seeing as my relocation expenses such as airfare plus all other relocation moving costs will be costing me thousands, I need every bit I can manage to save. I am fully retired now (thank God!) but very low income category. Hey ho, c'est la vie. But man, how I rate the exchange rate.

No way around it. I am trying to hang in here through December at least. First of all to see my friends plenty of times, and places I love (autumn is gorgeous here!) but also because the exchange rate maybe - just maybe! - improve by Dec/Jan. I need more dollars for my yen. And no, I could not have done this sooner really because I had to keep a certain level here for emergency (say, if I needed surgery or disaster evacuation) and also, crucially, because the main bulk was not given to me until I actually retired in full from my long-term employer. By then, the rate was up. Not as bad as now, but enough to give me pause.

Well congrats on retirement!

I think variety of choices does matter too. I'm not judging anyone who likes to drink Carlsberg, but if that's the only beer available in a pub, I won't be too happy.

I think variety of choices does matter too. I'm not judging anyone who likes to drink Carlsberg, but if that's the only beer available in a pub, I won't be too happy.

What, even though it's "probably the best lager in the world"? Surely not! ;)
    I’ve often whined and grumbled about censorship of art here, particularly concerning the original Ian Fleming Bond books. But I was very pleased to see what Konami is doing with their upcoming Metal Gear Solid collection:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/metal-gear-solid-re-release-features-disclaimer-for-outdated-content/

This is exactly what everyone should be doing when it comes to rereleasing art: add the warning so people understand up front, and don’t try to alter the history after that. Like, what is so hard about this? A perfectly simple solution, if you ask me. No one has to play / watch / read anything that offends them.

Also, I’ve seen a lot of people complain about the game’s technical aspects as to how it looks and runs, but I feel like it’s much ado about nothing. The gameplay I saw looked just fine and I can’t wait to finally have these classics on my Switch!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Even if it was, I'm really not into lager.

If you're into lager, Carlsberg sure beats Heineken, not matter if DC made commercials for the latter.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LucknFate wrote: »

Well congrats on retirement!

Knowing @4EverBonded the way I do, she deserves every second of it. :-)

I'm not into alcohol at all. I'm not a drinker.

We all have our character flaws. (No, just kidding...good for you but I'm not part of your crowd...uhm, grouplet.)
    edited August 2023 Posts: 17,809

We all have our character flaws. (No, just kidding...good for you but I'm not part of your crowd...uhm, grouplet.)

I've been a teetotaler all of my life. As you can see from some of my posts, I'm crazy enough without any outside help. :)

Alcohol is OK but one mustn't overindulge too much:

If you're into lager, Carlsberg sure beats Heineken, not matter if DC made commercials for the latter.
    I'm at a holiday resort and just learned it the hard way.
    I've been a teetotaler all of my life. As you can see from some of my posts, I'm crazy enough without any outside help. :)
    Wha'??? Not even a wee dram o' single malt?
    Boy Nadine Dorries irritates me. Her successor has literally no shoes to fill: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66568270.amp
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,930
    I'm another lifelong non-drinker. Which is not easy when you're working class from the North of England! But my father was a violent alcoholic waster and I didn't want to be anything like him, so... Ok, he breathed and I do too, so I couldn't be totally consistent but I did what I could... ;)