Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Piercings and tattoos tend to be fairly public, those hidden, noted. Because most are public, I'm not sure if I am supposed to notice and/or have a reaction. Perhaps because I don't like either, I cannot be objective and say something like, "Great tattoo," or "Love the nose ring." I say nothing, but I do notice. For me, they add nothing that enhances one's appearance. I don't feel the same way about pierced ears. If that's a contradiction, so be it. Sure, I've been caught up in fashion trends. But those are easily disposed of when one grows tired of that trend.
    Basically the same position that I have, as posted above (minus the fashion trends, which I am not following no matter when). I'm not commenting either, but notice...and quite frankly dislike it. But again, to each his own.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,645
    You can run but you cant "Hyde" :D

Will Danny set up a certain Elvis musical in prison , one wonders :D

That 2070s Show , bah bye rapist
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Piercings and tattoos tend to be fairly public, those hidden, noted. Because most are public, I'm not sure if I am supposed to notice and/or have a reaction. Perhaps because I don't like either, I cannot be objective and say something like, "Great tattoo," or "Love the nose ring." I say nothing, but I do notice. For me, they add nothing that enhances one's appearance. I don't feel the same way about pierced ears. If that's a contradiction, so be it. Sure, I've been caught up in fashion trends. But those are easily disposed of when one grows tired of that trend.
    Basically the same position that I have, as posted above (minus the fashion trends, which I am not following no matter when). I'm not commenting either, but notice...and quite frankly dislike it. But again, to each his own.

haha are we a conservative bunch! Maybe half the people i know have tattoo's, and like you, I only ever found one estetically pleasing, but I don't understand why one would want to wear one on the body. I love paintings of monet, but I don't need any bridge on my arm, no matter how beatifully drawn.
    It's a cultural thing that took flight. In Brasil, i.e., I don't think there's a single person without a tattoo. But then again it's quite normal to adjust the boy over there. Operations are standard.
    I think people think it adds to their uniqueness, whilst to my mind it does exactly the opposite.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,943
    Yeah, tats are so ubiquitous in the UK now that you're more of a non-conformist if you don't have any. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yeah, tats are so ubiquitous in the UK now that you're more of a non-conformist if you don't have any. ;)

One more reason to be a non-conformist.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »

One more reason to be a non-conformist.

Never in my life will I have anyone needle ink in my flesh and skin. Never will I have anyone put holes in my body either. Piercings and tats aren't my thing.
    I have never understood the craze around piercings or tattoos myself. Never going to get any myself, but I don’t judge people who do. Just a matter of personal preference!
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,545
    @CommanderRoss - That I have never had a desire for a tattoo and never will, does that make me conservative? I don't think you mean it prejudicially. But it is an interesting point. Have we reached the point that our likes and dislikes automatically label us?
    I don't think any of this makes us conservative or some such thing. Body paint, hair cuts, dress codes, ... trends change all the time. Sometimes I like the latest trend, in this case I don't. Simple as that, I think. 😁
    There's nothing wrong about being conservative, except that being "conservative" has been hijacked by people that aren't (they're not conserving anthing), but instead building a massive reactionary drive to do away with everything past progress has achieved in favor of a medieval concept. I call them "Destructives", since they don't "conserve" anything but wish to do away with any progress since 1776..
    There's nothing wrong about being conservative, except that being "conservative" has been hijacked by people that aren't (they're not conserving anthing), but instead building a massive reactionary drive to do away with everything past progress has achieved in favor of a medieval concept. I call them "Destructives", since they don't "conserve" anything but wish to do away with any progress since 1776..

You are, of course, absolutely correct.

But people have been tattooing themselves for thousands of years. 'Bad boys' got a tattoo in the '50s. It's not like having your arm tattooed is a thing of today. That's why I don't think it's got anything to do with being conservative or progressive or whatever. ;-) What does seem to be a thing of today -- though I'm open to the suggestion that I'm wrong -- is that

- more and more young people get a tattoo, and get away with it (i.e. parents and schools allow it);
    - people attach some meanings to it, like "this one reminds me every day that I am a fighter";
    - some people get their first tat when they're already middle-aged, either "going with the flow", or trying to stay youthful that way.

Anyway, I still struggle with the idea that you'd voluntarily allow ink, and the heavy metals in it, to slowly leak into your blood, which may cause severe damage over time. I also don't get why your best friend's name or your lover's name has to be carved in your flesh; when they are your friend or lover no more, you're either stuck with it, or have to go through another painful procedure to have the tat removed. (A ring or a bracelet is so much easier...). And let's not forget that skins never stay the same. Eventually, tats lose color and shape and end up as ugly ink blots.

Truth is, tats are a major turn-off for me. I enjoy the purity of the human body. Same with piercings all over the place. But if other people are cool with them, or desire them, by all means, have fun! Whatever floats anyone's boat.
    I've called Aston Martin today at work. Need to get in touch with someone of interest there. The music they put when you wait on the line isn't Bond music. I'm disappointed.
    Today, I tried a little experiamnt on iTunes : putting a recently bought album on my iPod, knowing that I couldn't read some of the songs on my computer, or engrave them on a CD because iTunes keeps telling me that my computer is not authorized to read these songs, no matter how often I authorize my computer to play these songs. Well, turns out that said "non-authorized" songs can't be read on my iPod either. So, I spent money for nothing. If I don't find a solution, I'll have to buy the CDs, but there is one case (Sissel's latest songs) where it won't be possible. Et M... !!!
    Coming from that last post…
    Today I almost had an accident while driving and trying to handle the Bluetooth connection because these bloody new cars don’t have bloody CD players, damn it! Oh, and I don’t have apple car play.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @CommanderRoss - That I have never had a desire for a tattoo and never will, does that make me conservative? I don't think you mean it prejudicially. But it is an interesting point. Have we reached the point that our likes and dislikes automatically label us?

No, it was in jest. You see, with the majority wanting tattoo's and piercings, we're now the 'backbenchers'. That, and in the nineties, tat's were definately also something for the 'progressive youth'. Not that I, as a youth at the time, was ever willing to let someone mutilate me, but that's besides the point.
    So, we're conservatives, as we, as @j_w_pepper stated it accurately, trying to preserve something.
    @DarthDimi I have no intention to leave my wife, I love her more and more each day, so following your logic it would be safe to have her name inked in my skin. However, personally, I wouldn't for the life of (fill in the preferred diety) know why I would do that. She's in my heart, and I don't need an ink blob to remind me of it. Same goes with my son's name or anything like that. The only usefull tattoo I've ever seen is with very old people, stating 'don't reanimate me!'.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 8,721

No, it was in jest. You see, with the majority wanting tattoo's and piercings, we're now the 'backbenchers'. That, and in the nineties, tat's were definately also something for the 'progressive youth'. Not that I, as a youth at the time, was ever willing to let someone mutilate me, but that's besides the point.
    So, we're conservatives, as we, as @j_w_pepper stated it accurately, trying to preserve something.
    @DarthDimi I have no intention to leave my wife, I love her more and more each day, so following your logic it would be safe to have her name inked in my skin. However, personally, I wouldn't for the life of (fill in the preferred diety) know why I would do that. She's in my heart, and I don't need an ink blob to remind me of it. Same goes with my son's name or anything like that. The only usefull tattoo I've ever seen is with very old people, stating 'don't reanimate me!'.
    Brilliant conclusion to this thread. No further discussion necessary, really.

• edited September 2023 Posts: 1,645
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I've called Aston Martin today at work. Need to get in touch with someone of interest there. The music they put when you wait on the line isn't Bond music. I'm disappointed.

lol ;)

When I was in Venice (the REAL Venice , thank you very much) grocery store I heard "Nobody does it better" , shouldve been Moonraker :P
    Work meetings!

I guess we all have them. I had another one yesterday. An hour and a half, after regular work hours no less. It's not so much the length of the meeting that aggravates me, it’s the utter lack of efficiency that is consistent throughout it. The main reason is an IT colleague who thinks himself the funniest guy in the whole world, an expert in literally everything, and someone who must interrupt the rest of us pretty much all the damn time. But his jokes are worse than bad (borderline insulting, even), his suggestions are on par with what a 12-year old might say, and his attitude is just plain rude.

Much to our chagrin, the ‘chair’ of the meeting, my school’s principal, just lets it happen. I understand that she tries to avoid conflicts and that she doesn’t want to openly reprimand a colleague, but that level of inaction causes frustration and friction. It is not my place to tell the know-it-all IT guy to ‘shut it’, nor to push the meeting to the next point on the agenda. But oh boy, if this behavior doesn’t stop, I’m out of there next time, and it won’t be my fault. I don’t mind spending time on the job, but I refuse to squander it.
    Sounds like the Dilbertization of society is not limited to private companies.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Work meetings!

I guess we all have them. I had another one yesterday. An hour and a half, after regular work hours no less. It's not so much the length of the meeting that aggravates me, it’s the utter lack of efficiency that is consistent throughout it. The main reason is an IT colleague who thinks himself the funniest guy in the whole world, an expert in literally everything, and someone who must interrupt the rest of us pretty much all the damn time. But his jokes are worse than bad (borderline insulting, even), his suggestions are on par with what a 12-year old might say, and his attitude is just plain rude.

Much to our chagrin, the ‘chair’ of the meeting, my school’s principal, just lets it happen. I understand that she tries to avoid conflicts and that she doesn’t want to openly reprimand a colleague, but that level of inaction causes frustration and friction. It is not my place to tell the know-it-all IT guy to ‘shut it’, nor to push the meeting to the next point on the agenda. But oh boy, if this behavior doesn’t stop, I’m out of there next time, and it won’t be my fault. I don’t mind spending time on the job, but I refuse to squander it.

Well, you're lucky you're not a consultant, hardly any day goes by without a meeting or two, sometimes up to 6 a day. But in my experience it's better to speak out and say something about someone's behaviour. Usually a chair will pick up on it.

When it's a lame joke, you can say something like 'i'd rather we stick to the subject, so we can keep on going', and when he's pretending to be an expert, ask him to write it all down so it can be used as input for (whatever document you can concoct that will not harm anyone, but burn his time). Soon enough, he'll learn to shut it.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Work meetings!

So, basically this:
    Thanks, guys. I wish I was assertive enough for that, @CommanderRoss.
    @DarthDimi - As a retired teacher, my favorite is the 'leadership team.' Generally former teachers who got out of the classroom as fast as possible because they weren't good teachers. Over forty-one years, I only worked for one or two principals who I felt were leaders. The others were either wishy-washy or ego driven autocrats. More often than not the lousy leaders where those threatened by employees smarter and better at their jobs than they ever were. Thus the need to mask their incompetence by being a dictator. The few good ones embraced great employees, were not threatened, and yet were never push overs.
    Work meetings!

There's often that kind of colleague in a working environment. I feel your pain.
    Thanks, guys. I wish I was assertive enough for that, @CommanderRoss.

Oh I only learned this after years of working as, and later for the civil service. When you have as many meetings as I do, you tend to get fed up with people all together, and not giving a toss on how they react. I'm always focussed on the results, and as though some hate me for it because I tend to hurt their ego's, it has helped me succeed. You might just want to try a watered-down version of this next meeting and see how it goes. In my experience, people like this are so not-used to getting some pushback, they usually succomb to it immediately. If he doesn't, you can just pull back on it. You'll be surprised how many people will thank you afterwards for at least doing something.
    @DarthDimi - As a retired teacher, my favorite is the 'leadership team.' Generally former teachers who got out of the classroom as fast as possible because they weren't good teachers. Over forty-one years, I only worked for one or two principals who I felt were leaders. The others were either wishy-washy or ego driven autocrats. More often than not the lousy leaders where those threatened by employees smarter and better at their jobs than they ever were. Thus the need to mask their incompetence by being a dictator. The few good ones embraced great employees, were not threatened, and yet were never push overs.

My experience is exactly the same, and spans both commercial and governent institutions. Good leaders are extremely hard to come by.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Jon Venables is getting another parole hearing. How many times have they let that scum out, and he do exactly what anyone with more than 2 braincells, knew he would do, and they have to lock him back up. Maybe, just maybe, some people are just born evil, and don't deserve to be outside with the rest of us.

Better still, release him, along with an up to date photo of him.
    @MajorDSmythe

I had to look that case up, and it's doubtless tragic. But J.V. wouldn't even have been put in jail over here, since the minimum age of criminal responsibility is 14. There wouldn't even have been a trial in the first place over here. He might have been put into juvenile delinquent care or even a psychiatric ward, but definitely not into a prison. He would have been checked constantly regarding whether he was still a threat to society, and if not, he wouldn't be released. But putting a 10-year old into prison for years is alien to our sense of justice, no matter what that 10-year old might have done.

Now if you tell me he killed (or even just molested) another young child when they let him roam free after the verdict, that may be a different story. But the fact for us remains, that a ten-year old is not legally guilty for things he (or she) might be doing. And I think it's good that way.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    There sadly have been a few cases of this in Germany recently, so there has been some discussion about whether this law should be changed, but not to a degree that there is actually any change to be expected.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jon Venables is getting another parole hearing. How many times have they let that scum out, and he do exactly what anyone with more than 2 braincells, knew he would do, and they have to lock him back up. Maybe, just maybe, some people are just born evil, and don't deserve to be outside with the rest of us.

Better still, release him, along with an up to date photo of him.

I read this and it still makes me feel physically sick.
    As you say @MajorDSmythe some people are just evil.
    A bullet in the head would be too good for scum of his nature.