Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,930
    True, Dragonpol. Employers, like landlords, usually vote Tory - so Tory govt policies are going to reflect that. As the son of a Yorkshire coal-miner, it's the working class turkeys who vote for a Tory Xmas that make me despair.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't get it. Hugh Grant is taking a beating for being allegedly very arrogant during an Oscar interview. But the man was asked silly things like "what are you hoping to see tonight?" (it's the Oscars. I dunno, people winning awards I guess? A guy getting punched in the face, perhaps? What does one hope to see?), "what was filming Glass Onion like?" (he was barely in the film), "what are you wearing?" (one of those tuxes that male actors typically wear, nothing special), "you didn't make it yourself?" (no, Hugh Grant is not a tailor, of course he didn't make the tux himself)... So when Grant was thanked for the interview, he rolled his eyes. If someone asked me a bunch of irrelevant, stupid, unanswerable or obvious questions, I would too.

I know it's a big show and everyone and their mum has to throw in a bit of effort to keep it light and entertaining, but this interview was pointless and ludicrous. (Yeah, Hugh, tell us about those three seconds in Glass Onion. Wow, what was filming like?) I simply don't see what made him rude here.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2023 Posts: 13,894
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I don't get it. Hugh Grant is taking a beating for being allegedly very arrogant during an Oscar interview. But the man was asked silly things like "what are you hoping to see tonight?" (it's the Oscars. I dunno, people winning awards I guess? A guy getting punched in the face, perhaps? What does one hope to see?), "what was filming Glass Onion like?" (he was barely in the film), "what are you wearing?" (one of those tuxes that male actors typically wear, nothing special), "you didn't make it yourself?" (no, Hugh Grant is not a tailor, of course he didn't make the tux himself)... So when Grant was thanked for the interview, he rolled his eyes. If someone asked me a bunch of irrelevant, stupid, unanswerable or obvious questions, I would too.

I know it's a big show and everyone and their mum has to throw in a bit of effort to keep it light and entertaining, but this interview was pointless and ludicrous. (Yeah, Hugh, tell us about those three seconds in Glass Onion. Wow, what was filming like?) I simply don't see what made him rude here.

Between storms in a teacup like that, and Jimmy Kimmel, it make me wonder what exactly the point of the Oscars is. I imagine sitting through Jimmy Colbert Fallon Kimmel's inane jokes, is worse than having to smile through not winning an Oscar.

Hugh Grant did nothing wrong, I would react the same way, if I were asked a series of dumbass questions. I don't know if there is a school for interviewing, but might I suggest she try again? Good lawd.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,930
    At least he didn't give her the response he gave Dennis Pennis...bet he wanted to, though!
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 14,834
    Cate Blanchett got robbed of an Oscar again.

Been interviewed today, two more interviews tomorrow. I think I did okay. But now I think I caught my son's cold. So I might not be at my best when I'll be interviewed this week.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ludovico wrote: »

Been interviewed today, two more interviews tomorrow. I think I did okay. But now I think I caught my son's cold. So I might not be at my best when I'll be interviewed this week.

Are you Cate’s PR person?

Are you Cate’s PR person?

Nope I just admire her a lot.
    Fair enough: I definitely think she's one of the best actors in the game. I never get too outraged about anything Oscars related, though, because, who cares.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think all this BS regarding Hugh Grant is just that. BS.
    That girl interviewing him didn’t have a clue what she was doing. Giving a pretty girl a microphone doesn’t make her a journalist.
    Fair enough: I definitely think she's one of the best actors in the game. I never get too outraged about anything Oscars related, though, because, who cares.

I shouldn't, but it's still meant to be a prestigious reward.
    Anyway,,I had my first job interview of the day, my sixth or seventh since I've been made redundant.
    Good luck with it, Ludovico, I was thinking about how you were getting on after they stuck the redundancy on you. Fingers crossed, mate.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Good luck with it, Ludovico, I was thinking about how you were getting on after they stuck the redundancy on you. Fingers crossed, mate.

Thanks. It went fairly well I think. Not my top choice as an employer, but a good package.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Anyway,,I had my first job interview of the day, my sixth or seventh since I've been made redundant.

Good luck with your job search, @Ludovico. Hopefully with that many interviews there's bound to be something turn up!

Good luck to you sir! Looking for a job is always the hardest job; hope someone realizes your value soon!
    I have my fingers crossed for you, @Ludovico. Good luck, mate!
    Thanks all. Today's second interview went very well. Not my first choice of business to work for (the product they sell is kind of boring), but it's more than a decent salary. I hope I get news from the interview I did yesterday, which would be far more interesting.
    Good luck, @Ludovico! Glad to read the interview today went well.
    Good luck, @Ludovico! Glad to read the interview today went well.

Thanks. I did it went fairly well, but beware the Ides of March.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,526
    We've been talking a lot about censorship lately with these new Fleming editions, but it's gotten kind of crazy everywhere else too. You see on social media and the internet, people are censoring words like "K*lling" and "M*rder" and things, and I was listening to the radio the other day and one of the words they cut out of the song was "condom". :)) Thought we were meant to be encouraging those?

I think of the Ricky Gervais quote, that goes something along the lines of "imagine the arrogance to think you deserve to go through life not hearing or reading anything you don't like, or anything you disagree with".
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I think a big part of stuff like "dying" being replaced by "unaliving" or something like it is very directly an influence of TikTok. AFAIK there are no official bans but researchers and inquisitive creators have tested around enough by now to have shown that your videos will basically just not appear for other people if some of these "negative" words appear in them. So youths have started using euphemism to still be able to talk about the full breadth of emotion and the human existence on their favourite app. With TikTok videos either being outright copied to other platforms or a certain sociolect/slang just having taken root amongst a certain group of internet users, these then also appear in other contexts were the original reason for using that wording doesn't exist.

It's a very interesting problem, because this is the intersection of content moderation and censoreship. On the one hand, we've by now realized - or rather it's accepted in a large swath of academia on the topic. I'm not sure what the view in wider society is - that completely unmoderated algorithmically selected social interaction is net negative. It leads to extreme positions being pushed to the top, because they generate attention and it can lead to people being drawn into negative spirals. Teens suddenly getting a rush of posts about eating disorders and suicidal ideation is one of those things. But how do you do that without being overly censorious and also without giving these social media companies the power to dictate what can and cannot be talked about? This is a problem in any situation, which becomes much more obvious - at least in the eyes of western societies - when the company and app in question has very, very strong ties to an autocratic foreign government.
    We've been talking a lot about censorship lately with these new Fleming editions, but it's gotten kind of crazy everywhere else too. You see on social media and the internet, people are censoring words like "K*lling" and "M*rder" and things, and I was listening to the radio the other day and one of the words they cut out of the song was "condom". :)) Thought we were meant to be encouraging those?

I think of the Ricky Gervais quote, that goes something along the lines of "imagine the arrogance to think you deserve to go through life not hearing or reading anything you don't like, or anything you disagree with".

Imagine if we start censoring things that are deemed unhealthy, like s*gar, s*lt, tr*nsf*t, or alc*h*l.
    And now I cannot receive or send emails because my mailbox is full. And now matter how many emails I delete, it's still full.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    And now I cannot receive or send emails because my mailbox is full. And now matter how many emails I delete, it's still full.

My old Hotmail (Outlook) email account which I've had since 2001 is bringing up something similar. It says I'm running out of space for messages and it's wanting me to buy more storage. I'm still able to send and receive emails but I could probably do with deleting a load of the useless messages that come in.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Have you tried really and completely deleting them (Shift+Del) rather than just sending them to your recycle bin (Del)? If the stuff is still in there, it remains on your allotted volume. If you don't want to delete things entirely, store them on you drive and delete them completely on your server/mailbox.
    My mailbox takes a while to register the removal of content.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My mailbox takes a while to register the removal of content.

Mine too, apparently.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 14,834
    It seems that I'm not the only person with that issue. It's happening at the worst moment for me: I need access to emails as I'm job hunting. I've had Zoom and Teams meetings with my current email address. It's also the one I use for my family and my writing workshop.
    Those of you who know me well, know that I’m a high-school teacher. I like to think of my job as one of the most fulfilling in the world. It is also a challenging and at times frustrating job. And it’s a job that seems to want to reinvent itself every few years. But not all changes are good.

‘Digitalization’ is the hip new thing where I live – or rather, digitalization 2.0 (since it’s not like we never used computers before in our classrooms, evidently.) Every Flemish high-schooler has his own laptop now, courtesy of our ministry of education. And so schools are asked to put the machine to good use, understandably so. However, two recent trends, which I am under severe pressure to follow myself, annoy the hell out of me:
    • Printed textbooks are replaced by digital ones. Yes, we save a lot of paperwork that way, but we also impose even more “screen time” on our students, while they are even less encouraged than before to practice their manual writing skills. Also, many students actually prefer to study from (and take notes on) a printed page instead of a screen – so do I – and they print out the digital textbook anyway, often at a much greater cost than when we do it for them.
    • The Internet offers countless classroom tools, fashionably referred to as “apps”, that promise to “make learning fun.” Sadly, many of them have very little to offer in terms of educational value. (Also, learning can be fun all right, but it doesn’t have to be; it should be meaningful and useful first and foremost. The “fun” part can be a pleasant side-effect, but it shouldn’t be a goal on its own, and certainly not in high school or college.) Yet pretty much every week, we are force-fed links to supposedly awesome tools that promise to turn classrooms into playgrounds, which reads like a horror scenario to this teacher. Even worse, many colleagues of mine seem to enjoy putting on the digital party hat. I was under the impression that schools have to turn children into adults, not the other way around.

I am, for the record, not a technophobe. Digital tools can be very useful indeed. But an overreliance on them can also do a lot of damage. More and more am I getting this awkward feeling that laptops and “apps” are replacing us, teachers. But these things have neither my experience nor my understanding of (and love for) my students. I teach because I bloody know what the hell I’m talking about and because I can make difficult concepts in chemistry and physics more accessible to young people. I didn’t enter this profession with a passion and a vocation simply to shout instructions and then passively watch while my students are playing around with computer programs.

Again, a little goes a long way. And if given enough freedom to pick the tools I like and dismiss the ones I don't, I wouldn't complain. But today I was told that tests "should be more digitalized from now on", with the added bonus that "the program can check the answers for you." Apart from the fact that that's not true except in the case of multiple-choice questions or questions that demand a precise number, word or name, I primarily object to the notion that it's a good thing to delegate the evaluation of my students to a machine. I want to check their answers! I want to see what progress they are making. I care less about the points than I care about how today's test compares to the previous ones.

"You're getting old, Dimi! It's called the future so get used to it." Yes, thank you. Again, I have nothing against digital work in school. But I firmly believe that helpful tools are only helpful to those who have already mastered the basics. Think of it this way: a word processor makes life easier for someone who knows how to write; but in the hands of someone who can't even put a few decent sentences together, a word processor is meaningless. School is where you first learn to cover the basics. Let's try to focus on those (again) before we let a program do it for us. Pocket calculators are great, but let's learn some basic arithmetic first. Wikipedia is convenient, but let's memorize some historical and geographical facts first.

Or have I really become a relic of the pre-Internet age? ;-)
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,609
    It seems that I'm not the only person with that issue. It's happening at the worst moment for me: I need access to emails as I'm job hunting. I've had Zoom and Teams meetings with my current email address. It's also the one I use for my family and my writing workshop.

I don't know if it's any help, but in my mail program I can sort the mails by data size and then easily delete those with sizeable attached files.
    Maybe that's somehow possible with your program, too.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 15,818
    Damn. In addition to my loved ones dying off at an accelerated rate, my rent just went up.
    That's all I need. Not sure how this is going to work out. These obstacles and tragedies are building up to the point I'm getting depressed

That said. I have been questioning my own mortality lately. Considering the vast amount of loved ones I've lost the past 3 years, I'm becoming aware of the possibility my number could be up.

So I need to concentrate on the postiive and eliminate the negative. What of the future and what could that look like? My late, great better half would want me to find happiness and live life to the fullest.