Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Aston Lotus would probably have posted something by The Critical Alcoholic, but that guy likely didn’t see the film at Cannes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2023 Posts: 14,861
    mattjoes wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    They’re piling up guys..

I haven't seen that video (it's enough to read about these complaints, why bother getting into them in depth if I haven't seen the film yet) but I was wondering if the person in the video saw the film or is just reporting other people's comments.

It’s the Matt Walsh from the Daily Wire, just another stooge of the “anti-woke” brigade, I wouldn’t give him the time of day.
    mtm wrote: »
    Definitely feels like the same fears of Nomi in NTTD because a trailer featured her throwing jabs at Bond.

“OH NO A WOMAN IS GONNA GIRLBOSS BOND!”

Yes I remember a poster on here telling me that Nomi absolutely definitely would get the better of Bond and make him look silly repeatedly, because that's how films and 'woke' (yawn) are nowadays. Then the film came out... and she got the better of him precisely 0 times.
    If you watch TSWLM you'll see Anya making Bond look silly many more times than Nomi manages.

What is the source of the fear these men on YouTube etc. have of Waller-Bridge? I don't get what it is which started it for them: it's not like she's done a lot of big movies, and there's nothing hugely overly feminist about Fleabag- it just happens to be about a woman. Was it just because she briefly played a robot in Star Wars?

A lot of boys were upset because the robot she played was a “woke droid”, basically a droid demanding the liberation of her kind from slavery.

It’s very odd; do they think she invented/is the character? And why are they against freeing slaves?
    a22c993231407cab2f028f3f59656ab35badff71.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One month to go now. If it's moderately entertaining and better than KOTCS, I'll consider it a success. I don't at all expect it to be better than the original three.
    The majority of the reviews for Indy 5 are saying that it's somewhat episodic, formulaic, globe-hopping, and jammed with perhaps one too many setpieces. Ironically, this is pretty much all I want. I have said this before but these are supposed to just be episodic pulp cliffhangers with exotic locations and lots of action. It sounds like that's just what this movie is, so I don't doubt that I'll be perfectly content.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited May 2023 Posts: 467
    Hey, isn't Matt Walsh the guy who says the titular line in Star Wars?

Sorry, different Matt Walsh.

These guys talk about pop culture because it's a Trojan horse to make a political point. A lecture about the perils of feminism? Bo-ring. A review (often from someone who hasn't viewed it) about the fifth entry in a beloved franchise that won't probably reach the heights of the 80s entries, blaming it all on a few convenient scapegoats, like a feminist agenda? This may strike a chord with people who are way too much emotionally involved with the series.
    They're still following, a decade later, the "Gamergate" template. They approach a topic about which some fans are passionate and irrational about and they whisper some lowest-hanging fruit theories to channel their disappointment or their anger into a rallying point for a cause.

I'm quite amazed about how much the discourse at this place is cordial and balanced. A few people know a lot about the production background for the Bond franchise, and we have been spared a lot of the non-sense about Barbara Broccoli ruining Bond during the Craig years (yeah, by bringing it back to levels of commercial and critical success the franchise hadn't seen since the seventies), the stuff that's precisely ruminated in this type of videos when they talk about Bond. When Martin Campbell didn't return, nobody here blamed it seriously on "Barbara" being unable to retain talent. When Danny Boyle left, it wasn't just due to "Barbara". We don't take every rumour about the casting of the next actor as fact (especially the ludricrous ones), just because some "agenda" could magically explain it.
    Consider that it might be the same with Star Wars. I don't put Kathleen Kennedy's track record at Lucasfilm at the same level as what Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson have achieved in the Craig years, but I'm simply suggesting that she's getting used as a convenient target and an excuse to push political causes by making her the only decision maker about Star Wars.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There is a bit which gets aimed at 'Babs'. Nowhere near the insanity of the Kennedy stuff, but there's a slight lingering atmosphere sometimes. I do find that nickname in particular has a whiff of the patronising about it.
    I'm tired of the "Babs" nickname. I'm also tired of her being held responsible for everything good and bad, and Michael Wilson being a non-entity.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Some boys are in fear of PWB because she frustrates the hell out of them. Fleabag shows a woman who seems sexually free; she’s also witty, combative, rebellious, funny, and, as we find out in her journey, troubled and guilt ridden and complicated. A three dimensional and very real woman who likely would not give these same troubled boys the time of day…

But there’s really not a whiff of anything political about PWB, the writer/actor. She just writes stories. Just stories. And that must frustrate the angry boys who can’t pin her down with their simplistic labels, but they continue trying to do so. The same little boys who only read Breitbart, who continue to rage against “Hollyweird” (another Breitbartism), and who now see the same complaint in all their favourite franchises.

Instead of posting reviews from someone with a political agenda, @AstonLotus , why don’t you wait to watch the film and make your own decision?

And @slide_99 … are you saying you have opinions on films you’ve not bothered watching? Colour-me-surprised (🙄)
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    PWB has destroyed at least one thing. Killing Eve. By leaving the show-running position after the first series.

Second series, the one handled by Emerald Fennell, was mostly enjoyable, but her plan to have a different writing team run by a different woman every season led to the abominations of series 3 and 4.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @HildebrandRarity … I agree with you ; I believe FB2 was why she left Eve, and the second season was quite a dip for me. So much so that I didn’t watch the third (and final season? Or is there a fourth? I really didn’t like Season 2 and lost all interest).

The fourth season was the last, and it was pretty disappointing.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I am somewhat relieved to realize I don't even know what movies or TV series outside the Bond realm you are talking about. Don't enlighten me, please. It may be detrimental to my peace of mind.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Fleabag is one of the best written things in years. I couldn’t be arsed with Killing Eve, came to it late, and wasn’t hugely struck on what I saw, or the cast.
    Everything PWB has been attached to since actually really makes sense (particularly the upcoming Tomb Raider project) and she comes over as a real reflection of us Brits and particularly us Brits of a certain generation. I actually really hope she gets more involved with Bond, because that seems right up her alley too.
    Fleabag would look to camera with an eyebrow at that last statement.
    Killing Eve is a show about an elusive Russian hitwoman, codename Vilanelle, who kills people all over Europe in extremely creative fashions and who's a mixture of sadistic cruelty and wide-eyed naivety. She's played by newcomer Jodie Comer, who's doing a lot of movies these days (The Last Duel, Free Guy, Ridley Scott's Napoléon). She's tracked by some MI6 operative (Sandra Oh), previously a terse desk bound MI5 employee, who is, at the beginning, the only person to believe that the assassin is a woman. After playing cat and mouse for a while, they meet, and their relationship gets increasingly complex, involving a mutual obsession and possibly crush.

The first series is extremely witty, and a welcome change of style and pace compared to the usual treatment of such a plot, with a soft palette photography, girl groups in the soundtrack, etc. After that, the show turns into its own Internet meme version and self-parody, with a dubious attempt at dealing with some mythology (the Twelve, the criminal organization behind the hit jobs). And they ruined the characters.

However, the thing that got Daniel Craig to ask Phoebe Waller-Bridge to polish the script for No Time to Die was Fleabag, her two-series show that's available on Amazon Prime. And I guess that most of the one-liners that work in NTTD (which was a massive improvement over Spectre in that regard), that also suit the personality of Craig's Bond, come from her. There's a lot of bittersweet self-deprecating comedy in Fleabag, and it was a good match for Craig's take on Bond.
    The show takes a while to enjoy, the first scene in particular is a lot to take, but she does something totally unique with the talking to the camera monologue, and when you start having some grasp about the trauma of the titular character, it all makes sense.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I'm tired of the "Babs" nickname. I'm also tired of her being held responsible for everything good and bad, and Michael Wilson being a non-entity.

Maybe because at his age he pretty much is a non-entity. He has done his service and he has stayed on as more of a figure head then of someone with the drive to bring Bond to the big screen. Michael's son might take on more of a role by the time the next film is ready for production.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like this TV spot

I don't mind calling her `Babs', its quicker to type. I also refer to Michael as `Mickey', just to show I am being very fair, equal rights and all that. ;)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Indy films are all on Disney+ now, and they are the nice new 4K HDR restored versions. If you haven't seen these versions they're worth a look- the films look stunning. And Crystal Skull is the most improved.
    There's a 3min Dial of Destiny thing on there too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    New poster... and look who's credited on it...
    Karen Allen

FxbxEb9aEAAqpOS?format=jpg&name=large
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Antonio Banderas doing his best Pedro Pascal, there.
    I was spoiled on the ending, so yeah I heard of that.
    Marion returns to help Phoebe Waller-Bridge (wearing the fedora) snip off Indy’s balls and laugh til the credits run.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Please, no spoiler hints.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I am spoiled severe, and I wanted to be. Now I know it's worth my time to see it theatrically.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 6,682
    I can't believe Mola Ram was Indy's real father all along.
    The majority of the reviews for Indy 5 are saying that it's somewhat episodic, formulaic, globe-hopping, and jammed with perhaps one too many setpieces.
    That's what they said about many of my favorite Bond-movies. I am gonna love it, then!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    The majority of the reviews for Indy 5 are saying that it's somewhat episodic, formulaic, globe-hopping, and jammed with perhaps one too many setpieces.
    That's what they said about many of my favorite Bond-movies. I am gonna love it, then!
    Right on, brother!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Hopefully it's better than Indy 4 and gives Harrison a great send off he deserves
    That latest poster is so cool. *Chef's kiss*
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I've seen a few people having a go at it on Twitter but I quite like it. I prefer the painted Tony Stella one, but this one isn't bad. Bit weird how prominent Banderas is, maybe.