chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
in Music Posts: 17,687
In order, mine are:
#1 Diamonds Are Forever
#2 Skyfall
#3 Never Say Never Again
#4 Live & Let Die
#5 Die Another Day
And be it known that I am not the biggest fan of most of these movies, but wow the songs rock me.

Yours?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Here are my top five with a slightly different spin on it!

Slow and Smooth Song....Nobody Does It Better...many fall into this category but this one is Bond and beyond! LOL! I love the vocal delivered by Carly Simon and the piano and swelling orchestra just add to a great song!

Rocking and Rolling...I am tempted to go with Live and Let Die, but I will instead chose "You Know My Name". The pace doesn't let up, the beat is amazing as is the vocals of Chris Cornell. Everything comes together to produce a rocking good Bond song!

Big and Bombastic...it has got to be Goldfinger! The horns and the chorus are so wonderfully intertwined. Dame Shirley delivers like no other. Her playful voice, her seductive tones and the wonderful lyrics are simply a song that is big and bombastic!

Modern by Classic...The World is Not Enough by Garbage. This song feels like it could have been in a Connery or Moore film, but updated slightly for modern tastes. Shirley Manson seems to know how to deliver the song like others but make it her own. Love the way the title of the movie is used in this song about two lovers!

Guilty Pleasure Song...Another Way to Die by Jack Black and Alicia Keys! Yes many hate it and I did too when the song came out. Somehow this damn thing has grown on me. It is the mesh of styles? The guitar? The piano cord? Who knows but instead of hitting skip, I usually turn it up and belt it out!

Great idea for a thread! Hope you don't mind me expanding on my answers and giving them categories!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,655
    Wow, that's a novel approach... (NOOOT?)

Anyway, and restricting myself to title songs (omitting the non-title songs that sometimes are much better than the title songs, and also omitting purely instrumential title themes), I'd say the following:

1. You Only Live Twice
    2. Nobody Does It Better
    3. Goldfinger
    4. Live And Let Die
    5. Goldeneye

None of the most recent ones need apply. And Die Another Day is still the worst of them all.

If we included "those other songs" this list would include "Surrender" and "We Have All the Time in the World" among the best, to say the least, but ok...as mentioned above.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    thedove wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread! Hope you don't mind me expanding on my answers and giving them categories!
    I love The World Is Not Enough. I actually love MOST of them. And expanding on answers is fascinating!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,888
    My top 5
    A View to a Kill
    Nobody Does it Better
    Thunderball
    You Know My Name
    Live and Let Die
    Excluding instrumentals:

1. Live and Let Die
    2. You Know My Name
    3. A View to a Kill
    4. Goldfinger
    5. Skyfall

Honorable mentions would be most of the other ones. Overall just a super consistent lineup of terrific songs.
    In no particular order
    1. You Know my Name
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Live and Let Die
    4. Diamonds Are Forever
    5. All Time High
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    1. You Know My Name
    2. Skyfall
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. The Living Daylights
    5. Live and Let Die

Honorable mentions. AVTAK, TB and Writings on the wall.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    You Only Live Twice
    Live And Let Die
    Thunderball
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Goldfinger
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    My Top 5:

1. Live And Let Die
    2. Nobody Does It Better
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. Licence To Kill
    5. All Time High

OHMSS would be in the list if we're including instrumentals.

Those songs that I enjoy with each listening.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    These are my Top 5:

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Instrumental title) - am I the only one to love this?
    2. Goldfinger
    3. Nobody Does It Better
    4. You Only Live Twice
    5. Live and Let Die

It's not that the last 40 years have not had good title songs, but call me romantic - I think the old ones had more time to ingrain themselves into my mind.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Instrumental title) - am I the only one to love this?
    Uhm, no, basically everyone here loves the OHMSS theme...you're just the only one so far who included instrumentals in the definition of "title songs".
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I enjoy instrumental music as much as music with lyrics (that's the definition of song, right?) and did not want to hide my love for the track just because of "song" in the thread's title. @chrisisall , do you agree?
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I enjoy instrumental music as much as music with lyrics (that's the definition of song, right?) and did not want to hide my love for the track just because of "song" in the thread's title. @chrisisall , do you agree?
    It's all good, man. I just don't think of it as a 'song' myself.
    Top 5/

1/ GF
    2/ LALD
    3/ SF
    4/ YOLT
    5/ Nobody Does it Better
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Wow, that's a novel approach... (NOOOT?)

Anyway, and restricting myself to title songs (omitting the non-title songs that sometimes are much better than the title songs, and also omitting purely instrumential title themes), I'd say the following:

1. You Only Live Twice
    2. Nobody Does It Better
    3. Goldfinger
    4. Live And Let Die
    5. Goldeneye

None of the most recent ones need apply. And Die Another Day is still the worst of them all.

If we included "those other songs" this list would include "Surrender" and "We Have All the Time in the World" among the best, to say the least, but ok...as mentioned above.

Good list. I feel lucky to have seen LALD live by Paul.
    Good list. I feel lucky to have seen LALD live by Paul.
    Me too. May 21, 2003 on the European leg of his Back In The World Tour, at the Volkspark Stadium (then called AOL Arena) in Hamburg. (The thing I remember most vividly, however, is 28,000 people singing the final refrain of Hey Jude together).

edited March 2023 Posts: 7,518
    I think my list would be:
    1. You Only Live Twice
    2. Nobody Does it Better
    3. GoldenEye
    4. From Russia With Love (end credits, not instrumental)
    5. Live and Let Die
    But it may change.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. A View to a Kill
    3. Diamonds Are Forever
    4. Licence to Kill
    5. No Time to Die
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1/ YKMN
    2/ SF
    3/ DAF
    4/ GF
    5/ AVTAK
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Based on the October, 2021 Theme Ranking Game https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/20568/quick-big-mi6-title-track-ranking-game, my top five (songs) were:

1. Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey
    2. You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
    3. Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings
    4. Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon (TSWLM)
    5. You Know My Name - Chris Cornell (CR’06)

Interestingly, had we been allowed to rank “The Look of Love” by Dusty Springfield (CR’67) I would have placed it somewhere around 11-12. I love that song but wasn't played during the titles of the film.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 17,241
    This is a tricky one. If excluding On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and The Look of Love, which would have ranked very high on my list if not excluding instrumentals and TLOL for not being a title song after all – my list looks something like this these days:

1. Diamonds Are Forever (I highly doubt this ranking will ever change – it's the perfect title song, IMO)
    2. A View To A Kill
    3. Nobody Does It Better
    4. You Only Live Twice
    5. The World Is Not Enough
    DAF is a brilliant track and the movie is undeserving of it. OHMSS would be a close sixth on my list (didn't know we weren't allowed to include instrumentals).
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,598
    DAF is a brilliant track and the movie is undeserving of it. OHMSS would be a close sixth on my list (didn't know we weren't allowed to include instrumentals).

Yeah. In the "Is the song better than the movie?" game, Bassey's DAF clearly leaves the actual film in the dust. :))
    This is a tricky one. If excluding On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and The Look of Love, which would have ranked very high on my list if not excluding instrumentals and TLOL for not being a title song after all – my list looks something like this these days:

1. Diamonds Are Forever (I highly doubt this ranking will ever change – it's the perfect title song, IMO)
    2. A View To A Kill
    3. Nobody Does It Better
    4. You Only Live Twice
    5. The World Is Not Enough

I also love Diamonds Are Forever, but it just barely misses my top five of 26 or so. I also think that Moonraker is great and unfairly put down by most (including, I'm afraid, Shirley Bassey herself).
    Shirley, unfortunately, I must agree with her there. And no, I won't stop calling her Shirley.
    Shirley, unfortunately, I must agree with her there. And no, I won't stop calling her Shirley.
    I know what you did there. Or to put it differently, roger, Roger. But regarding this deviation, over, Oveur.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 17,687
    DAF is a brilliant track and the movie is undeserving of it.
    If not for John Barry, DAF would have been just another NSNA.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    chrisisall wrote: »

I like both to be honest :))

I’m also one of the few people who actually likes Legrand’s score, but that’s another discussion of course.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

I like both to be honest :))

I’m also one of the few people who actually likes Legrand’s score, but that’s another discussion of course.
    I ultimately agree with you on both points, but regarding the scores, there is no doubt that Barry's DAF score (along with the dialogue) really saved that movie from being a total mess. Legrand's score didn't need to rescue anything, since contrary to common wisdom on this board, I find NSNA to be quite an entertaining movie anyway.
  • A View to a Kill
    Live and Let Die
    Nobody Does it Better
    Skyfall
    You Know My Name