Two whole years later- No Time To Die. A fitting end to a particular timeline, or a Bond faux pas?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,511
    @GoldenGun congratulations mate

I wish I could soften my stance and warm to the film, I really enjoy most of everything pre London. Perhaps NTTD, needed to be a more sombre film in general to stick the landing?

Last time I watched the film I was annoyed with the aircraft carrier scene, not only does the stealthy bird remind me of switch blades from DAD, but I hate the way they're joking around and reinstating Bond's code number just felt a bit tacked on. More importanly, all this is happening while Bond's family is hostage, for the first time in the series, it's like the magnitude of this moment was completely lost on everyone making the film.
    Bond has never had higher stakes
    peter wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    It's not an ending I've ever liked in both concept and execution. But I suppose when all's said and done even I can admit it's a logical way to end the Craig era. Just not a satisfying one for everyone.

@007HallY , I definitely understand your perspective. It’s honest and it’s also nice to see how you can see why they ended it this way.

EoN, and the other creatives involved (from all of the writers and director and the distributors), must have known that this conclusion would have ticked off a portion of their built in audience.

But all of them decided to go for it.

I admire them for making that choice, and I luckily loved it since I first laid my tear-filled eyes on the image of my favourite James Bond being blown to smithereens (not to be too melodramatic about it, 😂)

Oh I can't deny it's a gutsy decision for the Bond series. Again, in itself it makes sense to end the Craig era in this way. I can't say I'm against them doing this with other established heroes either (I personally loved Logan, for example, which shares quite a few superficial similarities with NTTD).

I think I struggle with NTTD's ending because I find everything leading up to it to be a bit flawed at times. There's much I really like in the film - I really dig the idea of the nanobots, the idea of SPECTRE being destroyed by this one man out for revenge, the Cuba sequence, the opening in Norway etc. There's genuinely a lot that's great in this movie.

I guess personally, the emotional impact of the ending is dulled because I find that certain plot points take me out of the movie. I never once, for instance, believed that Madeline was a SPECTRE agent and betrayed Bond, nor did I find the revelation that Blofeld had orchestrated this deceit believable. That's a big chunk of the film's emotional heft (which plays into the tragedy of the ending) that's dulled. Safin's strange shift from a vengeful loner into a villain with rather unclear motives is another one (it's a bit tricky to feel that Bond is dying for a noble world saving cause when you have to think about what's actually going on). The first time I watched it I personally found the constant exposition about nanobots a bit on the nose too and just got the sense where it was heading.

So in that sense it's not an ending that hits me in the gut in the way it should. But then again it's a controversial ending. Fans and general audiences seem to have different reactions to it.
    @bondywondy

Boyle was fired because he didn’t want anyone but his writer touching the script they had. He was against rewrites and he was very much against professional script-doctors jumping on board what has been described as quite a dull screenplay.

Unfortunately for him, he didn’t own the rights to the script— EoN did and still does. They fired him because he wasn’t a team player.

Bond, like other tent pole pics, have quite a number of script doctors doing passes. Some may polish dialogue, others, action; some may have to do heavier lifting on story and character. It’s the way of big budget script development.

Danny Boyle comes from an indie background and was still playing in that sandbox when he was canned.

EoN was correct in getting rid of him.

As for NTTD being silly, I guess I’m a silly person because I loved it .

Agreed about Boyle. I remember actually being a bit apprehensive when he was announced as director (I must be the only person who isn't a big fan of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony segment with Craig's Bond and the Queen). He can have a very impressionistic style as a filmmaker which works on films like Trainspotting, 127 Hours and Trance, but I don't think gels with a Bond film. I have no doubt that while his script had a lot of potential I've also accepted that it was also probably a bit dull in places and would have had more 'out there' ideas than the NTTD we got. I don't think we would have gotten a better film under his direction.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @007HallY ... I hear you, and I could never begrudge people for their criticism of any film-- whether it's NTTD, The Godfather, or Citizen Kane (I just can't stand when others belittle opinions, or state their opinions as facts).

There are flaws in the greatest of productions.

In the end, it comes down to personal tastes and prejudices.

With NTTD, I walked out of my first viewing believing that this was an allegory of this character's life, rather than a literal interpretation of a Bond adventure.

Does that make sense?

I've often stated it feels as if I'm watching the final moments of Bond's life seen through his eyes; that the film I'm watching is his final recollections, right before he stops breathing.

From my first viewing to my last, it's always felt like NTTD was dream-like rather than literal.

I don't expect this to be a correct interpretation, but it's certainly one that hit me upon my first watch...
    @007HallY ... I hear you, and I could never begrudge people for their criticism of any film-- whether it's NTTD, The Godfather, or Citizen Kane (I just can't stand when others belittle opinions, or state their opinions as facts).

There are flaws in the greatest of productions.

In the end, it comes down to personal tastes and prejudices.

With NTTD, I walked out of my first viewing believing that this was an allegory of this character's life, rather than a literal interpretation of a Bond adventure.

Does that make sense?

I've often stated it feels as if I'm watching the final moments of Bond's life seen through his eyes; that the film I'm watching is his final recollections, right before he stops breathing.

From my first viewing to my last, it's always felt like NTTD was dream-like rather than literal.

I don't expect this to be a correct interpretation, but it's certainly one that hit me upon my first watch...

That's a cool way of looking at it. I like it. Actually that's kind of how I view Logan in the context of the X-Men series so I understand what you're saying.

As you said it all comes down to personal taste and how much you engage with a film.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 303
    It seems a black and white kinda thing. No middle ground.

If you never want to see Bond die then you can *never approve* of the decision to kill him off nor approve of NTTD's ending.

No-one will ever convince you to look at the overall merits of NTTD. Bond dies. If you don't like that, deeply dislike that, it's non-negotiable.

But I accept it's time to move on. I don't intend my comments to be harsh on Eon. Bond will return.

;)
    The nanobot technology described in NTTD does not yet exist. Not that Bond films have ever been especially plausible when it comes to science. But the DC films portray a more realistic Bond, which makes dying as a result of a nonexistent technology a less credible writing choice.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    CrabKey wrote: »
    The nanobot technology described in NTTD does not yet exist. Not that Bond films have ever been especially plausible when it comes to science. But the DC films portray a more realistic Bond, which makes dying as a result of a nonexistent technology a less credible writing choice.

Thank you.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Being somewhat thick, I’m not sure how far away nano tech is, but I went with it (not even consciously), as I go with light sabers and batmobiles and men and women who can fly.

Because it’s a movie.

And although nano-tech may not be here in our world, it was still presented in a grounded way in the film-world—at least to me.

Being somewhat thick, I’m not sure how far away nano tech is, but I went with it (not even consciously), as I go with light sabers and batmobiles and men and women who can fly.

Because it’s a movie.

And although nano-tech may not be here in our world, it was still presented in a grounded way in the film-world—at least to me.

When I see a movie set in the old west where the actors have pearly white teeth I get taken out of the film. Funny that a comedic film like Back To The Future III gets this. Same with nanobots. We may have them as depicted in NTTD, someday... in the 23rd Century...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    chrisisall wrote: »

Because it’s a movie.

When I see a movie set in the old west where the actors have pearly white teeth I get taken out of the film. Funny that a comedic film like Back To The Future III gets this. Same with nanobots. We may have them as depicted in NTTD, someday... in the 23rd Century...

I actually have the same problems with white teeth in period pieces.

I just did t have the same issues with nano-tech as you did.

It didn’t take me out of the film.

My brain processed this as being like a virus. As I said, I’m pretty thick, especially when it comes to tech (ask my kids and wife), and the way nanobots were presented in NTTD seemed grounded and simple enough to follow.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,925
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I hate the way they're joking around...while Bond's family is hostage, for the first time in the series, it's like the magnitude of this moment was completely lost on everyone making the film.
    Yes, indeed. I'm all for gallows humour, but a knockabout 'Fairly strong?!' and 'Oops!' a secret tea set isn't it. NTTD has several lurching tonal shifts, but that part of the plane sequence was one of the most inappropriate ones.
    I liked the nanobots in concept. Logically, yes, it's not something that we have in our own time and probably won't for a while now.

But at the same time it feels like it could exist. Like a sort of nightmarish extension of the technologies we have today. It helps that there's the five year time jump in NTTD so there's this sense that the world has moved on while Bond is in retirement. In the context of the film I think it works.

I don't think it negates the initial more 'realistic' (although I don't like this term when describing Bond movies) direction of the first Craig films. The truth is his films were slowly becoming more fantastical by SF, so it makes sense that NTTD builds upon that in the way it does.
    Well, Fukunaga did originally pitch BB and MGW the idea that NTTD should be set entirely in Bond's head while he's unconscious in the SP crater base, so... :D
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 2,882
    Venutius wrote: »
    Well, Fukunaga did originally pitch BB and MGW the idea that NTTD should be set entirely in Bond's head while he's unconscious in the SP crater base, so... :D

Perhaps I'm speculating, but maybe that idea was something producers always had in mind with this film. Not to say that it was always going to be set in Bond's head, but that it was always going to be more fantastical, grand, and in some places dream-like (or perhaps more accurately nightmarish). A step away from the more grounded direction Craig's first two films took. So Fukunaga throwing out ideas such as that make more sense.

Might explain Boyle being hired initially. As I said he has a more impressionistic style as a filmmaker than other Bond directors.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Perhaps I'm speculating, but maybe that idea was something producers always had in mind with this film. Not to say that it was always going to be set in Bond's head, but that it was always going to be more fantastical, grand, and in some places dream-like (or perhaps more accurately nightmarish). A step away from the more grounded direction Craig's first two films took. So Fukunaga throwing out ideas such as that make more sense.

Might explain Boyle being hired initially. As I said he has a more impressionistic style as a filmmaker than other Bond directors.

That’s an interesting idea.

I never did fully understand the Boyle hiring , so this could be an explanation (plus there was supposedly a “golden idea” in their pitch (which I never discovered what that was. I’d love to get my hands on the actual script one day)).
    Yeh, could well be. Have to say, I was disappointed when Boyle was hired and relieved when he walked the plank. Happy & Glorious was funny but that was enough Boyle and Bond for me (and wouldn't the Queen have called him 'Commander Bond'? ;) ).
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 2,882

That’s an interesting idea.

I never did fully understand the Boyle hiring , so this could be an explanation (plus there was supposedly a “golden idea” in their pitch (which I never discovered what that was. I’d love to get my hands on the actual script one day)).

Perhaps it was Bond's daughter being introduced to the story? If I recall correctly that was a Hodge idea but I don't know for sure. Would have been odd considering Madeline didn't even seem to be in the story until it came to further drafts... again, from what I recall.

I'd love to read it too. From how Boyle described it at the time (ie. about a future Cold War, Bond going back to his roots etc.) I thought it was going to be a more low key, FRWL style adventure. Having subsequently seen little bits of information about the script, as well as very early concept art floating around these forums, it seems more like it was always going to be that bigger, more fantastical and even 'different' Bond movie. Certainly more 'out there'. The basic elements of NTTD were set out by producers anyway (Bond retiring, going on a final mission, and dying by the end being the main ones) so it's possible they were interested in trying to push things in the direction/tone I mentioned. Which makes sense considering it was Craig's last film so it would have stood out in relation to his tenure (as the NTTD we got does).
    Just came by to this thread to say I still can’t be bothered to rewatch the film. And that’s just the second time that happened to me during the entire cannon, the first time being DUD in 2002. I’m a big Brosnan fan and I rather watch Mamma Mia than DUD (actually, I have an emotional allergy to both). And I love SP over NTTD, and that says a lot, I think. The bits I did scarcely rewatch felt cringeworthy to me, with bad and uneven writing and acting. Oh well, it’s my loss, since for me it’s been 11 years since a proper Bond film came out.
    I think Boyle said that he and Hodge had a 'very different' idea for Bond finding out that he was a father. He said most of the story took place in Russia and took Bond back to his Cold War roots, so she could've been older than Mathilde turned out to be.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 5,975
    Dwayne wrote: »
    While things my change in the future, for now my opinion on NTTD hasn’t changed: as a Bond film it ranks in the middle of the pack.

On the positive side, NTTD is a far better film than SP and I felt that the chemistry between Craig and Léa Seydoux was better. The action was good, I thought that the homages to prior Bond films – especially OHMSS – were well handled, Zimmer’s score was top-notch and Craig (as always) is excellent.

The elephant in the room, is of course, Bond’s death. Maybe my Bond fan card should be revoked, but for whatever reason, I was not as moved by it as I thought I would be. In fact, Leiter’s passing affected me more – especially during my first viewing of the film.

Oddly, I’m not entirely sure why I feel that way. Perhaps subconsciously I viewed Bond’s death scene as being too passive and I would have liked something more “in battle.” Again, that was my impression in October 2021, and I still haven’t been able to shake it. That said, whenever Bond 26 is released and I have a chance to really place the Craig era in context (for me), I may feel differently.

My two cents anyway.

A quick aside: While NTTD did good box-office in the US (maybe not as well as some would have liked, but still good), I don’t remember there being a lot a “buzz” about the fact that Bond died at the end of the film. And by “buzz” I’m not referring to the film press, but to more general media. You would have thought that given the status of Bond in popular culture; it would have been the topic of wide conversation. I could be wrong about this, but I don’t recall any. Maybe with super-heroes being killed right and left, the "death of the hero" is somewhat passe.

I think I largely agree with this assessment.

Leiter's death was a shock to me--bracing--because it felt like the stakes were high again.

Blofeld's death was muddled, and the impact less--also because it was the second major death in quick succession. Okay, anything can happen now.

Bond's death was--drawn out--and by that point, even though I had avoided spoilers, I was kind of anticipating it (from all the nanobot exposition about funerals and families, etc.).

But then I was *very* moved by the memorial toast (pitch-perfect), and by the final scene with Madeleine and Mathilde as well.

I think the Craig films nailed their endings, time and time again. Even SP.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    I think the Craig Era having an ending made it work. It had a beginning, a middle (Skyfall) and a proper end. It actually made me like all the preceding films *more* as a result. Certainly, for anyone that didn’t like the fact that Casino Royale was essentially a reboot, NTTD fixes that, by making the whole its own thing and perfectly clear.
    You could, if you wanted, watch the whole thing as a serial. The films are certainly episodic enough, and even though it cannot possibly have been planned, they did a decent job knitting it all together.
    Safin as Bonds shadow even works fairly well - it’s Bonds job to take down Spectre and Blofeld, after all and it’s even personal. But for Safin it is too. And it’s Safin that does it. Blofeld took away Bonds adoptive parents (Oberhausen, M through Silva) and Safins literal parents.
    Orphans and parents are a big deal throughout — so Bond becoming one, and sacrificing himself to save his kid, Mathilde - from either death by nano, or being orphaned as the virus is keyed to Madeline — makes perfect thematic sense.
    It literally goes right back to Vesper and the conversation on the train in Casino Royale.

Given the various messes affecting production over the years, it’s really quite an amazing piece of work, and as Bond fans we should probably stick it on more of a pedestal frankly. Artistically it’s an amazing piece of work.
    And I say that as someone who really didn’t think much of Craig’s casting, and still thinks Brosnan was screwed over somewhat.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Fantastic observations that make a lot of sense, @JustJames!
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,364
    I love Craig's Bond. But I would never lie to myself that his films were properly planned. That would be me being delusional. For me, CR & QoS are the real Bond films of Craig's Bond. SF just joins in. The real problems are present in SP & NTTD....especially NTTD. SP with all its problems is better than NTTD for me. I can rewatch SP, but I struggle with NTTD after Matera.
    I love Craig's Bond. But I would never lie to myself that his films were properly planned. That would be me being delusional. For me, CR & QoS are the real Bond films of Craig's Bond. SF just joins in. The real problems are present in SP & NTTD....especially NTTD. SP with all its problems is better than NTTD for me. I can rewatch SP, but I struggle with NTTD after Matera.

My feelings exactly.

We reach.
  • JustJamesJustJames London

Oh they weren’t planned. Couldn’t have been. But they did a bang up job of making it all look that way narratively, and one of the reasons is that ‘parenthood/orphan’ theme is a through line picked up in every single Craig era movie. It gave them thematic framework on which to build.
  • StrawberryJamStrawberryJam London England
    I've not seen No Time to Die and this is a very deliberate choice.
    I know from videos and reading what most of the story beats are. For me Craig's era ended when he drove off at the end of Spectre. After that moment, I don't want to know.
    Bond movies have had downbeat endings before and worked. Not every movie ends with "That is not the soap" I can understand that. But the decision to end it like this feels very wrong. And I think the song "We have all the time in the world" should only belong to one movie.
    Could Fleming have written a good death for Bond? Am I insane for skipping it? Is there enough good stuff in there to give it a go?
    Or does anyone else, who has seen it, reject it from their own personal Bond canon?
    Or does anyone else, who has seen it, reject it from their own personal Bond canon?

When I read that the ending 'would upset some die-hards' in a review, I actively tried to find out the ending, because I suspected they'd 'gone there'. When I found out they indeed had, I hadn't any desire to watch the movie.
    I did realise that if I ever got into an discussion about the stupid idea of killing Bond off after 60 years of movies, my argument would be lessened by the fact I'd not seen the movie. So I got a dodgy download just to see the thing, which I've since replaced with another quality download, but even now I don't have a physical copy of it, and I've not spent any money on the movie at all apart from a CD of the soundtrack which I'd ordered prior to the film's release.
    I've watched it a few times, because I'd prefer to like it, I honestly would. I always love a new Bond movie, and had booked a whole weekend away centered around the first showing in a city near me in March '20, (which never happened, as we know). But I'm glad I never got to see it in the cinema, without knowing the ending. Because I'd have come out that annoyed and exasperated. Especially after such a strong and fun first half.
    So as much as there is such a thing as a 'personal cannon', I'd say I've rejected it too.

I remember Craig on some America TV show saying he was coming back for a fifth, and I though it was a bad idea, because both SF and Spectre ended with some type of finality. And I was never 100% on board with Craig as Bond anyway, (though he is a phenomenal actor and has great screen presence). But little did I know how much of a bad idea it was going to be.
    The bad idea of all bad ideas.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I want to enjoy NTTD (and the ending) more than I do. I've watched the film 3 times since it's been out in home media and I just can't get into it. I keep thinking this will be a slow burn for me like Quantum was, but each time I watch it I just feel disappointed by it.

I'm truly jealous of fans who can enjoy NTTD. I wish I could the party
    I've watched NTTD once since its release, and thinking back on the film for the first time since, I'm in no rush to watch it again. It simply didn't gel with me. The ending didn't bother me like I thought it would. If anything I was more bothered by them killing of Leiter – but I simply didn't have a good time watching it; the only exception being the majority of the Cuba part.