"You killed my dog "...John Wick discussion

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2023 Posts: 13,894
    Creasy47 wrote: »

On one hand, I want to take a moment to applaud the make up team. 0:55 is Scott Adkins! :-O I didn't even realise at first, but watching that bit again, yeah, now I see it. On the other hand, I was hoping that Scott would be the Marc Dacascos of this one, the final fight.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was hoping the same but he definitely gets in on the action to some degree, going off past trailers. It's a bold idea to stick a man like Adkins in a fat suit and let him have fun though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I was hoping the same but he definitely gets in on the action to some degree, going off past trailers. It's a bold idea to stick a man like Adkins in a fat suit and let him have fun though.

Reminds me a little of Van Damme in Enemies Closer (which I am convinced was JCVDs answer to Silva in SF). A departure from his usual films. And if it brings Scott more attention (he's been under the mainstream movie radar too long), even better.

Reminds me a little of Van Damme in Enemies Closer (which I am convinced was JCVDs answer to Silva in SF). A departure from his usual films. And if it brings Scott more attention (he's been under the mainstream movie radar too long), even better.

I couldn't agree more. He deserves it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just watched the trailer...I'm in. I'm very in!
    Looks great.
    It appears the review embargo for the latest installment will lift on March 6th, a whopping 18 days before its official release here in the U.S. They must be super confident in this one.
    I'm super pumped about this film, but the runtime of 2 hours, 49 minutes is a bit daunting. That's longer than NTTD!
    I have to catch up on this series before 4! I’d like a trip to the theater for this!
    I'm grabbing my tickets as soon as they're available at my local cinema.

There are lots of interviews, new stills, a few clips, and B-roll footage out today as well. Exciting times.
    The following interview features clips from the film, so consider that before watching...

So Scott is going to get in on the action. =D>
    The social media embargo for the latest installment lifts at 6 PM EST today, or just under four hours from now. I'm excited to see these first reactions.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2023 Posts: 15,690
    The social media embargo for the latest installment lifts at 6 PM EST today, or just under four hours from now. I'm excited to see these first reactions.

One of the greatest action movies ever made, #JohnWick4 tops all 3 of its predecessors in storytelling, scope & stakes, countless astonishing set pieces, hard to fathom it’s all contained within one film, Bill Skarsgård slays, a hellaciously thrilling franchise finish (?) 9.5/10.

I had reservations about John Wick: Chapter 4's nearly three hour runtime, but the movie earns it. It's an epic with smart pacing that never lets the action feel exhausting, and the set pieces are phenomenal. Great cast of series newcomers, but Donnie Yen is the MVP.

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 was as badass & as awesome as I hoped it would be. I didn't mind the lengthy runtime cause the Arc de Triomphe relentless action alone was worth it. And the gun-fu of Keanu Reeves VS. Donnie Yen lived up to the hype.

#JohnWick4 is a bloody good time. Great action and fight sequences. Donnie Yen is an INCREDIBLE addition to the franchise. He's a highlight of the film. Lots of surprises in this one that's going to deliver a divisive ending.

Brawny, bold & badass, #JohnWick4 brilliantly balances vested stakes with an absolutely spectacular, high octane thrill ride. A soaring, searing, scorching chapter in the saga. The wildest time you’ll have at the movies this year. A pure adrenaline rush.

#JohnWick4's three-hour runtime makes so much sense when you're going that hard. The third act alone... just glorious.

#JohnWickChapter4 is a high-octane punch to the gut that somehow raises the bar for action set pieces. Donnie Yen is marvelous. It’s the pinnacle of contemporary action. Ridiculous, over-the-top, and explosive in all of the best ways.

#JohnWick4 is epic! The fight sequences are electrifying. Reeves owns Wick, and the addition of Bill Skarsgård, Hiroyuki Sanada, Scott Adkins, and Donnie Yen bring this impressive feature to an operatic finale! Fastest 2 hours and 49 minutes ever!

#JohnWick4 boasts next level action from director Chad Stahleski, stunning cinematography from Dan Laustsen & a virtuoso sequence in Tokyo w/ scene stealers Donny Yen, Hiroyuki Sanada & @rinasawayama that already ranks among my favorite action sequences of all-time. Wick rules!

The body count is more than the previous three installments combined. Keanu Reeves, as John Wick, once again does not hold back and is a force to be reckoned with.

I loved John Wick 4. There are some truly jaw-dropping scenes, and you'll never look at stairs the same way again. Donnie Yen is exceptional. One of the best action movies of the last decade, easy.

I loved #JohnWick4. Yes, it's a notably long action movie, but it's a long action movie filled with fantastic John Wick action sequences that truly transcend into that place where it feels like you are watching a masterful, carnage-filled ballet in all the right ways.

#JohnWick4 is incredible. A symphony of controlled and carefully choreographed violence. Every shot in this movie is interesting. The cast is great. The action is beyond impressive. And with such a long running time, it never feels as though I want less of what's taking place.

John Wick: Chapter 4 is absolutely HUGE. Yes, it's long, but its outrageously good set pieces more than make up for it. A slick, brutal and stylish action epic that sees Keanu Reeves push himself further than before.

#JohnWick4 is, at least from a technical pov, one of the greatest Hollywood action movies ever made. It's visually gorgeous w/ stunningly complicated & creative setpieces. I honestly don't know how they safely did some of these scenes. It's a towering artistic achievement.

#JohnWick4 is an action-packed, bloody, kill-fest, and that's what makes it good! I normally don’t love so much action in my movies but Stahelski makes every frame count. Yes, it’s ridiculous. Yes, it’s video game logic. Yes, it’s extra as hell. Yes, I will be watching again!

#JohnWick4 absolutely rocks, start to finish. Keanu Reeves finds new ways to impress with stunning action and surrounds himself by incredible franchise newcomers. Chapters 1-3 world-built and Chapter 4 could run with all of it. An epic big screen blast.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,351
    Awesome. I just scanned a bit, because getting a sense that this is a great one, I now want to know as little as possible before seeing it.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 40,462
    There's a post-credits scene too!

And my local theater finally updated with available preorder tickets, got mine ordered for the 3:00 showing on the 23rd! I'm so excited.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    John Wick: Chapter 4 currently stands with a 88% score on Rottentomatoes, with a franchise high 8.1/10 average rating.

And on Metacritic, the film stands with a franchise high 77/100 score.

For comparison:

John Wick: 86%, 7.0/10 average rating ; 68/100.
    John Wick 2: 89%, 7.4/10 average rating ; 75/100.
    John Wick 3: 89%, 7.5/10 average rating ; 73/100.
    John Wick 4: 88%, 8.1/10 average rating ; 77/100.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    It's nice to see it have nice reviews, because I wasn't that sure about it. But I'll see if it tops Chapter 1 & 2, because they're still my favourites.
    I rewatched them a week or so ago (for the millionth time) and this is how my ranking stands before I see Chapter 4 next Thursday:

1. Chapter 2
    2. Chapter 1
    3. Chapter 3
    These reviews sound pretty good
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Lance Reddick has passed away. :-(
    I'm in shock. What an actor, what a performer.
    I still need to see all the movies, but this is of course very sad news. Wishing the best for his family and friends. I wonder if there is any way they could quickly add a dedication text to him in 4 before it releases?
    Lance Reddick has passed away. :-(

Wow. Sad news. I liked him as Charon in John Wick movies.
    I'm glad to see him again in John Wick 4 and Ballerina.
    I'm super pumped about this film, but the runtime of 2 hours, 49 minutes is a bit daunting. That's longer than NTTD!

Yes but it's only cool to criticise Bond films for their length.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Yes but it's only cool to criticise Bond films for their length.

I was raised on old movies, which tend to be much shorter, so I have a bad habit of criticizing most modern blockbusters for being too long. It's something I need to get over but I find that, 9 out of 10 times, any two and a half hour action movie could be trimmed by a half hour. Ironically, I thought No Time to Die was one of the 1-in-10 exceptions.
    After waiting a few years, I'll finally be seeing Chapter 4 tomorrow. I can't believe it's almost here.

Meanwhile, the film is targeting a franchise record $115 million global opening, $23 million more than Chapter 3's opening:

https://deadline.com/2023/03/john-wick-chapter-4-box-office-lance-reddick-1235306412/
    Do report back! Still have to get on my marathon!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Do report back! Still have to get on my marathon!

Will do! Seeing it at 3 p.m. EST tomorrow so hoping to share my thoughts as soon as I'm home. I'm so damn excited.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    John Wick 4 is actualy John Wick 5, directer confirmd Spinoff ''Balerina'' is playing before the 4th movie.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/john-wick-team-talk-timeline-spin-off/
    With “John Wick: Chapter 4” hitting screens, director Chad Stahelski has clarified the timeline of the films a little bit with Slashfilm.

Turns out there’s a serious half-year gap between the end of the third and the start of the fourth film – giving Wick time to recover from his fall off The Continental’s roof:

“We figured the first three movies almost happened in like a week, week and a half, somewhere in there. That’s my version, I think Keanu’s is a little different, and I think [‘Chapter 4’] is like six months later. So within a year, I think it all happens. I would say almost within seven to eight months.”

That half-year gap will be partly covered by “Ballerina,” the upcoming Ana de Armas-led spin-off film which takes place between the third and fourth “John Wick” films. Shay Hatten penned the script for that film and explains to Screen Rant how the spinoff will partly unpack Wick’s origin story growing up with the Ruska Roma crime family: