"You killed my dog "...John Wick discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Man, oh, man...

John Wick: Chapter 5 confirmed, will shoot back-to-back with Chapter 4:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/john-wick-5-confirmed-by-lionsgate-sequel-will-be-shot-back-to-back-with-fourth-installment-1203006611/

God damn! I cannot wait for more John Wick. It blows my mind how that the brilliant John Wick flick in 2014 managed to spawn 4 sequels. I would have guessed we could have had a 2nd one, but even a trilogy seemed far fetched.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    While the rest of the world was taking a dump on him for Dracula, Speed, The Matrix (sequels), I stood by Keanu all the way. And he's finally found his role. What the T-800 was to Arnold, John Wick is to Keanu: that one part that just resonates with the actor to perfection.

I consider the three John wick films we've gotten so far to be nothing short of action movie brilliance. They were also clever at the time to incorporate some subversive comedy and to build an intriguing "hitman mythology". We cannot overstate in how good a shape Keanu is in these films, and how "cool" his moves are. Even in their best days, Seagal and several other action stars were never this good. And let's not forget that Keanu is getting up there in years. He's right there with Cruise and Craig as 50+ dudes who have found their second youth, it seems. I profoundly respect and admire what Keanu is achieving with John Wick.

So while I'm smart enough to realise that three good films are no guarantee for another set of awesome sequels, I have faith, and learning from @Creasy47's post that there will be at least two more under the Christmas tree, gets me super-jazzed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,009
    I really wish I had the same level of excitement as you guys have - I absolutely love the first Wick film but neither of the sequels have come close. I feel like the horse will be well and truly dead and flogged by the time the fifth film comes about.

Oh well, I'll always be able to rewatch the Red Circle sequence another million times instead, I suppose! :)
    I really wish I had the same level of excitement as you guys have - I absolutely love the first Wick film but neither of the sequels have come close. I feel like the horse will be well and truly dead and flogged by the time the fifth film comes about.

Oh well, I'll always be able to rewatch the Red Circle sequence another million times instead, I suppose

I can see that, easily. The sequels went a certain direction and you'll either accept that or not. And that boils down to taste, ergo something that is pointless to argue about. :) When I saw JW 2, I found it a tad 'less' than the first film, but it was my introduction to the unbelievably hot Ruby Rose, so that kept me going in the theatre. :p The third film, though, really struck a chord with me and made me realise how much I love the world of John Wick.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Oh well, I'll always be able to rewatch the Red Circle sequence another million times instead, I suppose

I can see that, easily. The sequels went a certain direction and you'll either accept that or not. And that boils down to taste, ergo something that is pointless to argue about. :) When I saw JW 2, I found it a tad 'less' than the first film, but it was my introduction to the unbelievably hot Ruby Rose, so that kept me going in the theatre. :p The third film, though, really struck a chord with me and made me realise how much I love the world of John Wick.

Good to hear that, @DarthDimi! As I say, I'm jealous. I would love to be excited for the next two.

I loved the opening twenty minutes or so of the third film, if that's any consolation! Wick on a horse was quite something.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Good to hear that, @DarthDimi! As I say, I'm jealous. I would love to be excited for the next two.

I loved the opening twenty minutes or so of the third film, if that's any consolation! Wick on a horse was quite something.

And not any horse - a Mustang, same as his car. ;-)
    Great 1 hour video of Scott Adkins interviewing Chad Stahelski.

A very interesting point at around the 48th minute mark: Stahelski reveals that the glass museum fight in John Wick 3 is directly influenced by the glass museum fight in Moonraker.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Interesting! Especially happy to hear there will be 4 AND 5 John Wick films coming up. I love this series. And yes, Dimi, the whole world is intriguing and so far cinematically very well done, lush and fascinating and eerie. I loved Keanu in The Matrix, but hated the two sequels to that. So having a series that I enjoy thoroughly is such a treat. Keanu is perfect for this role.
    Very interesting indeed. And yes, 4Ever, Keanu is perfect as John Wick.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Keanu Reeves on John Wick vs Neo - "They wouldn't fight," even if Neo accidentally hits John Wick's dog with his car, Reeves theorized Neo would bring the dog back to life by manipulating the Matrix and then team up with John.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven't updated this in a while but Deadline reported today that, unsurprisingly, Ian McShane is set to reprise his role as Winston in John Wick: Chapter 4:

https://deadline.com/2021/07/john-wick-chapter-4-ian-mcshane-returning-1234793776/

So far, this is honestly my favorite cast of the series, particularly thanks to Donnie Yen and Hiroyuki Sanada. Shamier Anderson should be a great addition, too, considering just how jacked and intensive in training he is for his performance.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I just finished chapter 2 and 3 last night for the first time. Great action movies. I think I'd rate part 3 as my favorite. However, a lot of it is just one gun and fight scene after another and at times, it becomes repetitive.

The final 30 minutes of Part 3 is nothing short of brilliance.
    I just finished chapter 2 and 3 last night for the first time. Great action movies. I think I'd rate part 3 as my favorite. However, a lot of it is just one gun and fight scene after another and at times, it becomes repetitive.

It doesn't get repetitive for me, I love all the action, but I do think Chapter 3 certainly could use a bit more silence and ruminating in between the death and high body count.

I totally agree with that.
    I love John Wick movies; all of them so far. Halle was great in #3.
    When is #4 coming out?

I'm happy for Ana. I hope she makes the most of these opportunities. She's exploded since Knives Out and NTTD.
    This is funny, John Wick is a complete carbon copy rip off of the Accident Man series (comic books). And now we have Scott Adkins who played Accident Man in the film, interviewing the John Wick director/conceptor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Stamper wrote: »
    This is funny, John Wick is a complete carbon copy rip off of the Accident Man series (comic books). And now we have Scott Adkins who played Accident Man in the film, interviewing the John Wick director/conceptor.

I've not read the comics, but loved the film.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 526
    Outstanding action movies. Love all 3. Keanu’s best films for my $.
    I love John Wick movies; all of them so far. Halle was great in #3.
    When is #4 coming out?

I'm happy for Ana. I hope she makes the most of these opportunities. She's exploded since Knives Out and NTTD.

It’s currently filming and will release on May 27th, 2022.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Ballerina: Knight Out Knives Out

ballerina-knives1.png

Knock Knock John Wick 4: Who Is Knocking at your door

dark-ballerina-shane-gottlieb.jpg
    Thanks, @Creasy47. I don't know where I'll be yet, end of May. Either Japan, the U.S., or Crete. But I will try to see it in the cinema for sure. :)
    The newest installment, now titled John Wick Chapter 4: Hagakure, has wrapped filming.

My money is on the first trailer releasing alongside The Matrix: Resurrections in late December.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nice to find this thread around here.

During my hiatus from this place the John Wick films were movies I had some time to finally dig into after having so many people recommend them to me over the years, and the minute I finished the first one I felt guilty for having waited so long (hard to imagine the first film came out 7 years ago!). I was far more impressed than I thought I'd ever be, as I figured they'd just be fun action movies and nothing else.

The movies are absolutely impressive from an action standpoint, but you know that if you are familiar with the directors and stunt performers and coordinators behind it. What I didn't expect, at all, was to be so engrossed in the actual story of the films. What really sets these movies apart from a lot of impressive and flashy action flicks I've seen over the recent years is just how much you grow to care about John and his allies, and just how well crafted and gradually built up the "lore" of his underworld is. I love the minutiae of that world, the brutality of their kills but the strict professionalism of their rules that can't be broken and lines that can't be crossed, and how they all just exist out there in plain sight without us noticing it.

It's rare for me to like all the movies in a series with anywhere close to equal love, and I am one of those people that wasn't disappointed with 2 and 3. 1 was a great, solid origin, but I love the upped stakes of 2 and how it dared to just end with John saying, "f@#$ the rules" which puts him on the collision course with his own universe in 3 where the stakes get even higher with the price on his head. I very much look forward to where the next movies take us, and I swear we had better get to see John training his new pupper to fight off baddies with him just like Halle Berry's character did in 3. I want to see him and his dog fight off an entire room of killers by themselves. That would be frickin' epic. Then, of course, if they ever choose to end the series they need to have John retire in comfort after wiping out the higher echelons of the underworld, during which time he'll start up a dog shelter with the goal of picking up stray dogs and seeking new homes for them. ;-)

P.S.: I can't be the only person that was literally sobbing when they saw THAT scene at the start of #1, right? All I could do was think about my own dog, and I got so freaking set off. It was a joy to see all those guys get ghosted.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The newest installment, now titled John Wick Chapter 4: Hagakure, has wrapped filming.
    Cool.

ghost-dog.jpg
    519dd2985398a7486a1b6648b307440c--arm-tattoo-tatoo.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2021 Posts: 28,694
    Looks like Johnny Boy is going full samurai. Kind of makes me want a finale where he enlists 46 other operators from their underworld to storm the High Table's big headquarters to kill them all, ronin style.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I saw the first one and disliked it. The first act was decent, and Wick's motivation for revenge was unique. But after the setup, it just descended into a live-action first person shooter video game. Wick walks into a room, headshots a bunch of guys, walks into another room, headshots a bunch of guys, repeat until the end. Honestly I was bored. I was waiting for something interesting to happen, like some kind of twist or something, but there's literally no plot after the first half hour, just shooting, shooting, and shooting.

I think it would have been way better if the filmmakers had taken a realistic approach to the movie instead of the comic book/video game approach. A hitman having his last chance at leading a normal life taken away from him by his former employers is an interesting idea. They could have done a serious movie on this, something like Collateral, but instead they went for a mindless shoot-em-up. It was fun seeing Keanu in a lead role again, but the movie just didn't work for me.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I love all the John Wick movies. I am with Brady, can match his appreciation and reasons for liking the films. I want to add that I'd love to see John in the finale of next one (how many more will there be?) take over the Continental Hotel himself and do something creative with it (I have not thought that through yet). And also see him own a ranch for strays, with Halle installed to manage it. :)

Maybe create his own High Council - but to keep a watch on criminals, rather than directing them to do evil in the world.
    I love this series so much. Pure entertainment where the spectacle and action is worth the ticket price alone. I really hope we get our first look at Hagakure alongside The Matrix: Resurrections in just a month.
    I loved the first film unreservedly but found the sequels to be a bit numbing. The world building is admirable but I much preferred having the scale of the world hinted at rather than explored in detail. Too much of a good thing, etc.