The New Bond Quarter-Frame Game

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    It's not there, rather very far from a factory.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Funeral in Rome, SP?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm really just guessing, sort of... LALD, the fight with Tee-Hee on the train in the end?
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    Moonraker space station?
    Not in Rome and certainly no cemetery wall.
    The fight on the train... is not an entirely bad idea per se, but Tee Hee is nowhere to be seen.
    It's not on a space station, rather in a place that's not too shabby either.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    If it's still a train fight, it basically means either FRWL (fight with Grant), TSWLM (fight with Jaws), or SP (fight with Hinx). But I don't seem to find the frame without having to watch those scenes again just for the purpose of finding out, so I guess I'll have to pass.
    It is shortly before a fight, but not on a train.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Major Amasova tied up in TSWLM?
    Actually I initially supposed from your introduction...
    I found that by accident, because I always thought that Bond flew to New York in the Concorde, but that turned out to be the case in Rio de Janeiro/MR.
    ...it would rather have something to do with some aircraft. I'm just pretty sure he never had a fight on a commercial flight, and his private-plane problems in GF, MR and FYEO didn't really ring a bell here.

I suggested the LALD train fight initially because your quarter frame has a ratio of 1.78:1 (meaning the full frame must have the same ratio), while most of the other movies are more wide-screen. I'll keep searching...
    @Creasy47 , it has nothing to do with TSWLM.
    @j_w_pepper , I did not know that one can identify the film from the frame ratio! How nifty of you!
    Well, yes, LALD and TMWTGG, I believe, were a step back from the Cinemascope of earlier films, to which the franchise returned with TSWLM. So I take it that it is indeed LALD, just not the Tee-Hee train fight?
    Nope, it's not LALD. You will be surprised.
    Yes, I suppose I will be surprised :-).
    Come on now, @zebrafish, we need you to provide some hint to keep this thread active.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 4,312
    As Tina Turner sang: "See reflections on the water..."
    Only in this case, note reflections and shadows.
    Just to keep this going, I'm still stuck.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Inside the Wavekrest when Bond is dumping the money to frame poor old Milton?

(btw a list of already guessed films would be helpful, please)
    OK, I thought it would be easy, but the film has been guessed, I just did not want to say it, because there is no rule that I am aware of that we have to confirm the film when the scene guessed is wrong. It's DAF... now, who's first?
    I give up. Even knowing which movie it is, I don't find a frame that fits on Screenmusings. And I'm not gonna watch the entire film step-by-step just to pinpoint the scene - that's stretching my idea of fun a bit too much. So @zebrafish, from my point of view you may just as well disclose it and start another round. Or ask @Creasy47 to do it, who at least named the correct film.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond climbing around under the oil rig?
    @j_w_pepper , if we make the purpose of this game into scanning the frames on Screenmusings, then it's not a challenge (I realized afterwards that this is from a frame not covered there). Many of the frames here are not on Screenmusings, e.g. the cabin wall from Irma Bunt's helicopter, the curtain from Felix' room in LALD and so on.

For now I will give it one more day and then present the solution. Maybe @Creasy47 wants to have another go, now that we know it indeed is from DAF?

nscAJTb.png
    My mind keeps coming back to looking at a toilet.

And yes, I'd imagine this game operates best when played in good faith and not resorting to sifting through screenshots.

At the same time, though, I do think it'd be best if we get back to actual quarter frames. I know our minds are too sharp with these films that most games would end after a guess or two but I guess that's what keeps it fun and lets everyone have a go eventually. I know I've been guilty of it before but I do try to keep the image a bit more obvious/less zoomed in to be able to make out more detail of a scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,990
    Ah, it's the cabin door of Bond and Tiffany's cruise ship cabin opening- the shadow of the cloche there. Very good!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    @j_w_pepper , if we make the purpose of this game into scanning the frames on Screenmusings, then it's not a challenge (I realized afterwards that this is from a frame not covered there). Many of the frames here are not on Screenmusings, e.g. the cabin wall from Irma Bunt's helicopter, the curtain from Felix' room in LALD and so on.

No, "scanning" (sounds too automated to me) the frames on Screenmusings is not the purpose, though I still think even that poses the challenge to find the correct movie, and I find I get new insights by doing this. But though I've watched most Bond films around ten times (with a few exceptions...I'm afraid I have been ready to see SPECTRE only three times and probably DAD as well, and my love for QOS has also been very limited), I wouldn't be able to recognize every (quarter-)frame just from memory. Just saying how far my patience goes if I don't find the solution, and why I therefore pass on this.
    Well it needed @mtm to come in and solve the game, congratulations! It is the reflection of the cloche on the trolley that Mr. Kidd is rolling in. Underneath is the bombe "surprise". Other clues: It's a scene before a fight, it's on a not too shabby cruise ship and far from a factory (on the high sea). Though cabin doors on ships sometimes look like toilet doors, I do agree.
    It is a true quarterframe, @Creasy47 !

sp2vNbE.jpg

Over to you, @mtm , your artist-eyes seem to be very sensitive to Bond frames.
    Indeed it is! Looked so zoomed in that I thought otherwise. Goes to show how tricky these games can get.
    I hate to be a spoilsport, and it's a game, and I'll live with it, and I wouldn't have found the solution either way, but the "quarter" was indeed cropped on the right side (though something was added vertically at the bottom), so that none of the "cloche" (just learned that word) was visible, and the aspect ratio, which should have been about 2.36:1 as in the full frame was reduced to roughly 1.78:1. Can we just settle for the future on definitely using a full quarter of a frame, as suggested originally by @Max_The_Parrot ?

I know all of this is trivial, but there should be some rules. As I said before, looking for some unknown-dimension segment of a movie frame isn't that much fun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Excellent! Thank you; it was definitely the clues which helped! :)

Here's a fresh one for you:

Framegame-Q1.jpg
    First impression: pretty good. Rather small image (pixel-wise), but aspect ratio in the vicinity of 2.35:1. I'll keep searching.