Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited November 2022 Posts: 6,682
    Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

I actually enjoyed this more than the original Under Siege. Halfway through the film, there is a moment after which the movie just goes nuts, and becomes a very fast-paced, busy and exciting action film. This and On Deadly Ground (solely thanks to the last part of the film) must be the most action-packed Seagal movies from his 1988-2002 period. Eric Bogosian and Everett McGill are great.

This was a fine way to bring Phase One of my Seagal marathon to an end, corresponding to those theatrically-released films in which Seagal is the lead or almost-lead. Next up, Phase Two: The DTV Years.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbldore no wonder this series was cancelled this film is a crime to cinema, what an absolute mess. The story telling and acting is atrocious.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    finally saw Top Gun Maverick. Wow.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

I actually enjoyed this more than the original Under Siege. Halfway through the film, there is a moment after which the movie just goes nuts, and becomes a very fast-paced, busy and exciting action film. This and On Deadly Ground (solely thanks to the last part of the film) must be the most action-packed Seagal movies from his 1988-2002 period. Eric Bogosian and Everett McGill are great.

I agree; I liked the first one but enjoyed this one even more.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Top Gun: Maverick I am not the biggest fan of the original though this sequel is fing amazing.
    Top Gun: Maverick I am not the biggest fan of the original though this sequel is fing amazing.

Didn't do much for me, feel the same as do about the M:I films, once seen, cant be bothered to watch again!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Didn't do much for me, feel the same as do about the M:I films, once seen, cant be bothered to watch again!

The action scenes were great but the story was only average.

Not a fan of the first Top Gun though loved the technical aspects of the sequel.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Unkept Gems… Second time seeing it, and it induces even more anxiety watching this guy drown in his addiction.

Sandler just nails this pathetic, greasy and sad man who has resigned all free will to his games of chance….
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad : Probably the best of the trilogy, with two Bond alumi (the gorgeous Caroline Munro, and an unrecognizable Robert Shaw), and a fantastic performance by Tom Baker (hilarious in hindsight, considering that it wouldn't be the last time he would meet green-skinned scantily clad natives ; "Power of Kroll", anyone ?). And the special effects by Ray Harryhausen are top notch (especially the statue of Kali). All in all, a good way to spend some two hours. They don't make them like that anymore, and it's a crying shame.
    Gerard wrote: »
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad : Probably the best of the trilogy, with two Bond alumi (the gorgeous Caroline Munro, and an unrecognizable Robert Shaw), and a fantastic performance by Tom Baker (hilarious in hindsight, considering that it wouldn't be the last time he would meet green-skinned scantily clad natives ; "Power of Kroll", anyone ?). And the special effects by Ray Harryhausen are top notch (especially the statue of Kali). All in all, a good way to spend some two hours. They don't make them like that anymore, and it's a crying shame.

I am a huge Harryhausen fan and consider this his finest overall film; from a purely technical standpoint it’s Ray at his peak.

Here I am in 2003 with the master.

GE1a1Ro.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

I am a huge Harryhausen fan and consider this his finest overall film; from a purely technical standpoint it’s Ray at his peak.

Here I am in 2003 with the master.

GE1a1Ro.jpg

So that s what Harryhausen looks like. Love your tie, by the way.
    Lol, Ray’s wearing the tie.
    A couple of camp classics
    Barbarella (1968)
    This one is apparently getting a remake, which is probably good and bad! Worth watching only for the presence of Jane Fonda who looks great in and out of some wild costumes! Its a harmless affair, silly and psychedelic as you would expect from this era. Mime legend Marcel Marceau makes a rare vocal appearance ( I remember him in Mel Brooks 'Silent Movie' as the only one who speaks! 🤣) and for trivia fans a certain 80's band got their name from Milo O Sheas character, an d we also get John Phillip Law ( I must seek out his 'Danger Diabolik' film) as a wingd angel!! So, a cult classic, and a literal comic strip! Boom boom!

Flash Gordon (1980)
    Mike Hodges ( bizarre choice of the 'Get Carter' helmer) colourful engaging fun romp, with terrific production values! Sam Jones plays the titular lead, and Max Von Sydow is having great time as Ming the Merciless, throw in Topol as Prof Zarkov, Our man Dalton looking dashing as Prince Barin and Queen on music duties, and we have a really entertaining film, though I cant help feeling curious about what original director Nic ('The Man who fell to Earth') Roeg would have done with it?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Flash Gordon (1980)
    Mike Hodges ( bizarre choice of the 'Get Carter' helmer) colourful engaging fun romp, with terrific production values! Sam Jones plays the titular lead, and Max Von Sydow is having great time as Ming the Merciless, throw in Topol as Prof Zarkov, Our man Dalton looking dashing as Prince Barin and Queen on music duties, and we have a really entertaining film, though I cant help feeling curious about what original director Nic ('The Man who fell to Earth') Roeg would have done with it?

I read that George Lucas originally wanted to do a Flash Gordon movie, but couldn t for whatever reason. So he made his own variation on the theme with The Star War instead. (Title changed later.)

Flash Gordon (1980)

I read that George Lucas originally wanted to do a Flash Gordon movie, but couldn t for whatever reason. So he made his own variation on the theme with The Star War instead. (Title changed later.)

Didn't know that about Lucas. What I did hear was that Nic Roeg was a fan of the Flash Gordon comics and would have done a film closer to them!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Last night we watched The Bucket List (2007) for the first time. Totally loved it. Great actors' cinema (sorry, Rob Reiner...but you let them do a great job!). The combination of Nicholson and Freeman is unbeatable.
    I just rewatched Ronin after several years. One of my favorite movies ever, and my favorite De Niro movie out of the 28 I've seen that he appears in. I'd love to write about it in greater detail at a later date.

It's also a very rewatchable film; I could totally see it again tomorrow. But after much procrastination, and in fact after several years, I'm going to watch Dr. No tomorrow.
    A few recent watches.

Night and the City (1992)
    House of Gucci
    Uncut Gems

Enjoyed all three very much. Night and the City and Uncut Gems are similar in many ways.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,895
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I just rewatched Ronin after several years. One of my favorite movies ever, and my favorite De Niro movie out of the 28 I've seen that he appears in. I'd love to write about it in greater detail at a later date.
    Watched it again last week, also for the first time in a while! It's still great - and it's always good to see someone from Sheffield get slapped down... ;)
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 12,243
    Open question for anyone here to answer: has anyone here seen The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone + the original Part III, and opinions on quality differences? 1 and 2 are two of my all-time favorite movies, and while I wouldn't expect Coda to reach that level, I had some optimism it could be an improvement on the original Part III.
    the-return-of-the-musketeers-lg.jpg
    The Return of the Musketeers (1989) been looking to get a copy of this for ages with no luck. Earlier I found it on MGM subscription, I have not seen this since I had it on VHS. I do love this series, the third film is inferior to the superb first two, never the less this belated third entry in the trilogy is a lot of fun.

The Great Train Robbery is on MGM channel also, definitely going to rewatch that later.
    The Return of the Musketeers (1989) been looking to get a copy of this for ages with no luck. Earlier I found it on MGM subscription, I have not seen this since I had it on VHS. I do love this series, the third film is inferior to the superb first two, never the less this belated third entry in the trilogy is a lot of fun.

The Great Train Robbery is on MGM channel also, definitely going to rewatch that later.

'The Return of the Musketeers' is good fun, with a superb score, but it doesn't come near the first two!
    Recently bought a bluray of 'The First Great Train Robbery' one of my favourite caper movies!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,104

'The Return of the Musketeers' is good fun, with a superb score, but it doesn't come near the first two!
    Recently bought a bluray of 'The First Great Train Robbery' one of my favourite caper movies!

Agree the first two are levels above though The Return... still captures some of the magic and feel authentic enough so many years later, it will always be overshadowed by Roy's passing.

Really looking forward to watching The First Great Train Robbery it's been a while, Connery made some great period set films during the 70's.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,727
    Locked up with Covid, I needed cheering, so I did an Indy (not Indie🤣) double bill.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    I upgraded both this and its sequel ( the only ones I want) to bluray, but dont feel it improves picture wise, oh well, still glorious entertainment! So well made, a few dodgy effects here and there, but its still got fantastic scenes, one after another. Ford. Spielberg, Lucas and screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan created a marvellous character in Indiana Jones, and Spielbergs direction is very sharp ( love his use of shadows throughout!) And the action is top notch! Indy 5 is unlikely to beat this, but I hope it at least makes up for the awful last one.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
    Still enjoy this, but it doesn't top the first one. I missed Karen Allen. The humour is a bit juvenile, and the mid section becomes a bit of a drag. Great opening nod to Busby Berkeley, and the rope bridge finale is fun, and the mine cart chase is a cracker, though at times the model work made me think I was watching Wallace and Gromit. Ford is great again, but the rest of the cast is lacking. Rich cinematography from Douglas Slocume and the bluray looks a bit sharper than Raiders. Great to watch as a double bill, will probably watch again just before the new film premiers, this cheered me up no end!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I'm afraid to 'fess that I watched Idris in Beast. Oh, dear. Go on, you can laugh at me - I deserve it. TV movie dialogue, hamfisted backstory, inappropriate and amateur exposition (how did the lion find them again so quickly? 'He must have cut through the mountains'...I kid you not!) and the most annoying kids since that brat in The Road. Thankful all over again that Idris was never Bond.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    OHMSS. Tonight, or last night to be exact, it's after twelve.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Fantastic Planet (La Planète Sauvage), 1973

0h15uyc0gsos.jpg

This fantastic, allegorical '70s science-fiction film never ceases to amaze me, no matter how outdated its animation.

Humans or 'Oms' are pets, cattle and vermin to a more advanced race on an unspecified planet. They try to subsist on what little they can find, while being toyed with and hunted down. Aided by deliciously weird and sometimes disturbing visuals, this story serves as social commentary on Apartheid, racism and the Holocaust itself.

While the film managed to find critical acclaim (and still does), notorious film ignoramus Siskel didn't quite see it that way. Gene, that's because you were a bit full of yourself, wouldn't you say? Anyway, this is a film I love to watch at night, enjoying both its eerie vibes as well as its awkward animation.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DarthDimi wrote: »

0h15uyc0gsos.jpg

This fantastic, allegorical '70s science-fiction film never ceases to amaze me, no matter how outdated its animation.

Humans or 'Oms' are pets, cattle and vermin to a more advanced race on an unspecified planet. They try to subsist on what little they can find, while being toyed with and hunted down. Aided by deliciously weird and sometimes disturbing visuals, this story serves as social commentary on Apartheid, racism and the Holocaust itself.

While the film managed to find critical acclaim (and still does), notorious film ignoramus Siskel didn't quite see it that way. Gene, that's because you were a bit full of yourself, wouldn't you say? Anyway, this is a film I love to watch at night, enjoying both its eerie vibes as well as its awkward animation.

Definitely one I should give a watch.

As for Siskel, I don’t want to speak ill about the dead, but man he could sometimes act as if he was the only valid film critic in the entire world.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

0h15uyc0gsos.jpg

Definitely one I should give a watch.

As for Siskel, I don’t want to speak ill about the dead, but man he could sometimes act as if he was the only valid film critic in the entire world.

He threw Betsy Palmer's address out in the open so that people could find her and complain about Friday The 13th. Am I the only one to find this seriously offensive and, in fact, illegal? I don't care if he didn't have the stomach for a simple thriller. You just don't do that.