Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,356
    escape-to-athena-poster.jpg
    I had a lot of fun watching this, forgot how funny Moore's accent is, I was howling with laughter literally every time Moore spoke.

The film is ridiculous and does meander at times, and wow does the director like long aerial panning shots. It's the first time I have watched this film in HD and it really does look great, stunning Greek locations
    Escape.To_.Athena.1979.1080p.BluRay21.jpg
    escape-to-athena-poster.jpg
    I had a lot of fun watching this, forgot how funny Moore's accent is, I was howling with laughter literally every time Moore spoke.

The film is ridiculous and does meander at times, and wow does the director like long aerial panning shots. It's the first time I have watched this film in HD and it really does look great, stunning Greek locations
    Escape.To_.Athena.1979.1080p.BluRay21.jpg

Great fun, with an all star cast David Niven, Telly Savalas, Elliot Gould, Anthony Valentine and it has a fantastic motorcycle chase, but the present day epilogue is ludicrous, like its strayed into 'Shirley Valentine' 🤣
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Banshees of Inisherin

It was well done and I was certainly down for the concept but still it didn’t grip me for its two hour runtime. It’s a movie about male friendship and some wild stuff ends up happening, it isn’t the worst but it doesn’t feel like quite enough happens over the course of the runtime.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Banshees of Inisherin

It was well done and I was certainly down for the concept but still it didn’t grip me for its two hour runtime. It’s a movie about male friendship and some wild stuff ends up happening, it isn’t the worst but it doesn’t feel like quite enough happens over the course of the runtime.

I liked it, but I didn't love it.

I will definitely watch it again though, as I wasn't sure of what to glean from certain parts. But great performances and wonderful scenery.
    Year of the Dragon (1985)
    Went to see this in January the year it was released! Loved it ao much, went back again the next week. Watching it now, its not as good as I remember. Directed by Michael Cimino, and written by him and Oliver Stone, its the tale if Stanley White ( an ever watchable Mickey Rourke with a wild hairdo!) taking on the Triad gangs led by a power hungry John Lone ( who would have made a great Safin!) Great cinematography from Alex Thomson, the opening parade sequence is superb, and memorable theme music from David Mansfield, though the rest of its score is overly romantic! Has great set pieces, and good characters ( love the demure translator nuns!) And its blood as hell, with violent shootouts and decapitated heads, but some of the drama is overwrought, and it gets a little dull towards the end, which itself is not that great!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,353
    A Hard Day's Night 1964
    Funny with great songs too.
    giphy.gif
    tumblr_mt4ot9uGhF1sztga4o1_500.gif
    Trivia
    John Lennon's written answer to the female reporter asking him if he has any hobbies is the word "tits."
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The Avengers (1998).

Deserving of its reputation. Awful.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Just got back from seeing Sam Mendes' Empire Of Light with Olivia Colman. So good. I recommend it to anyone.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dersu Uzala

That was without question one of the greatest films I've ever watched. All these years later and I'm still finding Kurosawa films I've never seen before that absolutely floor me. What a masterpiece.

@Denbigh, that's one of the few remaining films of the year I'm still really itching to see. I can't wait to get the opportunity.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight: Eight Days a Week by Ron Howard, about The Beatles' touring years, plus all the bonus stuff on the Blu-ray package which totals the whole experience to about three hours. My wife is away for the weekend, so I cranked up the volume on the 7.1 system and sang all the songs along for as loud as I could. Marvelous, and I only regret I (yes! even I!) was too young for being around those concerts in the early Sixties. Wonderful experience.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Tonight: Eight Days a Week by Ron Howard, about The Beatles' touring years, plus all the bonus stuff on the Blu-ray package which totals the whole experience to about three hours. My wife is away for the weekend, so I cranked up the volume on the 7.1 system and sang all the songs along for as loud as I could. Marvelous, and I only regret I (yes! even I!) was too young for being around those concerts in the early Sixties. Wonderful experience.

It’s been some time since I’ve watched my Blu-Ray, but I do remember seeing EIGHT DAYS A WEEK: The TOURING YEARS in a theater back in 2016. After the screening was completed (in my theater at least), we were treated to a shorten version of THE BEATLES AT SHEA STADIUM.

Looking back, even if you had been at one of the Beatles' stadium concerts you may not have heard a thing! They were – by all accounts – very LOUD. And by loud, I mean the screaming fans. John, Paul, George and Ringo couldn’t even hear themselves most of the time, and that was one of the factors that led to their decision to cease live concerts upon competition of that 1966 US tour.

Even though it's out of print, you may wish to see out “Tomorrow Never Knows: The Beatles’ Last Concert” by Eric Lefcowitz (1987, Terra Firma Books). The pictures, mostly by photographer Jim Marshall (1936 – 2010), of the fabs backstage and during the concert itself are priceless. Another good resource in the two-volume set “Some Fun Tonight!” by Chuck Gunderson (2013, Backbeat Books).

FbU0ni_WIAEPDEE.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    George has the best scene @007InAction :))
    tumblr_lt1zm3a5xY1qd9ovdo1_r1_500.gif
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,554
    tar_480x.progressive.jpg?v=1664568028

I don't know why it took Todd Field 16 years to make his follow-up to Little Children. But here it is. And it is a force.

This will not be for everyone's tastes. It is a deeply psychological study that is actually a bit terrifying in places. Field directs this as meticulously as his main character attempts to live her life. (And BTW: the film won't work as well if anywhere else but Berlin.)

A shout out to Bond veteran Julian Glover who has a nice role in this.

DC friend and co-star Mark Strong figures prominently, as well, if only for some comic relief.

Oh...and everything you have read about Cate Blanchett's performance is true. She takes her craft to a whole new level here.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

Yeah, this one just left me cold. One and a half star.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Empire of Light

I liked it more than I thought I would, though I do agree with the reviews mentioning it feels like a couple of different films stapled together around a cinema. Deakins as usual gives the goods though felt he had a more muted feel this time. Not to big on the Atticus and Ross score, seemed overbearing at times.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Went to see this in January the year it was released! Loved it ao much, went back again the next week. Watching it now, its not as good as I remember. Directed by Michael Cimino, and written by him and Oliver Stone, its the tale if Stanley White ( an ever watchable Mickey Rourke with a wild hairdo!) taking on the Triad gangs led by a power hungry John Lone ( who would have made a great Safin!) Great cinematography from Alex Thomson, the opening parade sequence is superb, and memorable theme music from David Mansfield, though the rest of its score is overly romantic! Has great set pieces, and good characters ( love the demure translator nuns!) And its blood as hell, with violent shootouts and decapitated heads, but some of the drama is overwrought, and it gets a little dull towards the end, which itself is not that great!

I loved that when it first came out. Unfortunately time has not been kind to it. When I watched it a few years ago I found it to be bloody atrocious 😄

Mickley Rourke is very watchable in it but it's such a stupid film!

I loved that when it first came out. Unfortunately time has not been kind to it. When I watched it a few years ago I found it to be bloody atrocious 😄

Yeh mate, that's how I feel about it now!

Some films just don't age well. I also found this with The Untouchables as well. Which really shocked me as I'm a massive De Palma fan...!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,691
    My wife picked for tonight The Post, which I'd seen before, but she apparently hadn't. Quite a brilliant Spielberg feature, with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks being outstanding as Washington Post publisher Kay Graham and editor-in-chief Ben Bradlee respectively, on the story of the Pentagon Papers bravely disclosed by Daniel Ellsberg and the magnificent job that both the New York Times and (due to a government injunction against The Times) The Washington Post did in disclosing several consecutive federal administrations' lies and deceptions regarding the Vietnam war. Sort of an immediate precursor for the situations portrayed in All the President's Men, which I recommended as the next movie we'd watch together, and what at the time caused the (probably) most crooked president of the U.S. until then to ultimately resign.

Some films just don't age well. I also found this with The Untouchables as well. Which really shocked me as I'm a massive De Palma fan...!

'The Untouchables' i remember vividly when i saw it in cinema. There was a massive audience reaction, (people cheering and clapping) but I agree, it hasn't aged well at all, best thing about it was Morricone score ( no surprise there!)
    I like to think Connery got his Oscar for his body of work rather than his "ah,Jaysus!" role here!!

'The Untouchables' i remember vividly when i saw it in cinema. There was a massive audience reaction, (people cheering and clapping) but I agree, it hasn't aged well at all, best thing about it was Morricone score ( no surprise there!)
    I like to think Connery got his Oscar for his body of work rather than his "ah,Jaysus!" role here!!

We're definitely on the same page buddy!

I remember at the cinema the audience clapping after the Grand Central station sequence. It was a hugely enjoyable film at the time.

Definitely agree on the score. Absolutely love it!

I remember at the cinema the audience clapping after the Grand Central station sequence. It was a hugely enjoyable film at the time.

The clapping at my showing was when Ness threw the hood Niti off the roof!!🤣
    I loved the shootout on the steps first time I saw it, but its not that great now!
    Have you seen 'Blow Out'?, always think it goes under the radar for De Palma, one of my favourites of his!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I loved the shootout on the steps first time I saw it, but its not that great now!
    Have you seen 'Blow Out'?, always think it goes under the radar for De Palma, one of my favourites of his!

Blow Out is my absolute favourite De Palma.

Blow Out is one of his best. A very overlooked film indeed.

I also love Sisters, Dressed To Kill and Carrie.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 6,814
    ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (1981)
    Or should it be 'John Carpenters ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK' ? Loved this when I saw it in cinema, and again,today, not quite as good. Great idea, the future ( 1997!!!!) and the crime rate has got so bad that New York has been turned into a giant prison, with 50 foot wall and guard towers and helicopters! The Presidents (Donald Pleasance) plane crash lands inside it! Enter criminal Snake Plissken ( Kurt Russell) who is tasked with rescuing him by Security chief Hauk ( Lee Van Cleef) An incentive, a small explosive charge is placed in Plisskens throat, if he doesn't get the Prez back in 22 hrs, he's dead. Neat! Problem with the film is that once Carpenter( who co-writes) puts Plissken into the prison, he's unsure what to do with him! Great cast, Russell's Snake is a marvellous character, and what a cast, as well as Pleasance,Van Cleef, there's Isaac Hayes and Harry Dean Stanton and Ernest Borgnine, and terrific score, it also has a neat twist ending! Trivia fans, the effects ( which are quite ropey) James Cameron worked on!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bullet Train I switched the film off, it is a load of crap.

Aaron Taylor Johnson as Bond give me a break, can not act.

This is like claiming Brosnan wouldn’t be a good Bond based on TAFFIN.

I haven’t seen BULLET TRAIN, but in spite of the impressive cast it has, it didn’t look good in the trailers and I’m not surprised it turned out to be not good according to critics and audiences alike.

This is like claiming Brosnan wouldn’t be a good Bond based on TAFFIN.

I haven’t seen BULLET TRAIN, but in spite of the impressive cast it has, it didn’t look good in the trailers and I’m not surprised it turned out to be not good according to critics and audiences alike.

Brosnan is a far better actor, has charisma and screen presence its not even a contest.

Though I am sure you already know that.
    That’s a matter of opinion than simply “knowing”. But I’ll admit I don’t rate Brosnan all that highly as an actor. He’s charismatic, but he’s very limited and only seems to do a serviceable job than something exceptional. I categorize Henry Cavill on that exact level, which is why I’m not on board with his casting by Bond fandom.

I rather enjoyed Bullet Train an enjoyably silly action flick. I'd certainly give Taylor Johnson a chance as Bond. He's physically up to par and has great comic timing if nothing else...