The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Unerrated Ken Adam set, IMO.

I prefer late 70's sci fi space stations to modern CGI sets.
    Agree about the negatives of CGI and Ken Adam’s set designs. That said, from an engineering point of view, MR isn’t very accurate.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Unerrated Ken Adam set, IMO.

I prefer late 70's sci fi space stations to modern CGI sets.
    Agree about the negatives of CGI and Ken Adam’s set designs. That said, from an engineering point of view, MR isn’t very accurate.

Yeah. So much for science fact. :D
    We need more scenes like the glass museum fight. I like seeing valuable expensive antiques get smashed.

The proposed 'Bond 17' that we didn't get with Dalton was supposed to have a punch up in an armour museum, which I would have loved to have seen! Though I reckon the sword fight in DAD was a variation on it!
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I must be on a Lewis Gilbert kick lately as I've been appreciating his Bondian work.
    When I was a kid I would've named this as my favorite Gilbert film because Blofeld's in it, and Sean.
    I remember having a buddy stay over when I was in 5th grade, and my folks rented this one. He'd never seena Bond movie before and loved all the ninja scenes. He also loved the fight in Osato's office.
    I distictly remember us talking about which cute girls went to our school, and I mentioned I liked girls that looked like Karin Dor. I didn't think there were any like Karin in our school.
    Strange how the scene where Bond first meets Helga and Ostao can bring up such vivid memories.
    I love the drop in the ocean scene as outlandish as it is. Today the TV screen in Aki's Toyota would be 16:9.
    Well enjoy yourself.
    Tiger thinks Little Nellie is crap.
    This can only be for children!
    Great line.
    Aki: "..Bond-san won't touch that terrible girl.."
    Bond: "Oh, heaven forbid!" :))
    Kind of wish we'd get more fun action scenes like Little Nellie in the next era.
    Some of the chase scenes in the Craig era kind of leave me feeling meh, even though technology has advanced. The SP Aston martin chase in Rome is kind of flat and the aerial dogfight bit in QoS just doesn't grab me. Must be all the green sceen (though this film has some dodgy back projection, too).
    Aki: "..Bond-san won't touch that terrible girl.."
    Bond: "Oh, heaven forbid!" :))

Love that scene. Great rapport there!
    @ToTheRight. I think the Bond folks stayed at the Toyko Hilton during filming. The Beatles also stayed there on that leg of their 1966 tour. I wonder if their paths crossed. :-?
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 15,785
    @ToTheRight. I think the Bond folks stayed at the Toyko Hilton during filming. The Beatles also stayed there on that leg of their 1966 tour. I wonder if their paths crossed. :-?

That would've been interesting. Considering how the Bond publicity was affecting Connery at that time, he could've gone to The Beatles for advice. :D
    Many folks don't rate YOLT highly, but for me - other than FRWL - its' become my go to Connery film. A great score, iconic scenes, great camera work, the Blofeld reveal, the ninjas, etc.. It just works for me.

...plus Akiko Wakabayashi (who I just finished watching in a Godzilla flick the other day) and Mie Hama. :x
    Here we go.......Bond transformed. :D

Bond does look ridiculous in that wig and make up.

That said, Connery really sells the Aki death scene. Much like Roger selling the tension during the bomb disarming all while wearing a clown outfit.

I think it's Connery's sublety that does it for me. No over the top histrionics, no exagerrated facial expressions. No laughable "DELLA!!!!!!!" type lines.

All the Bond actors have performed a similar type of scene. From my own personal experience, I think Connery, Moore and Craig most nail what that scenario is like.
    Many folks don't rate YOLT highly, but for me - other than FRWL - its' become my go to Connery film. A great score, iconic scenes, great camera work, the Blofeld reveal, the ninjas, etc.. It just works for me.

...plus Akiko Wakabayashi (who I just finished watching in a Godzilla flick the other day) and Mie Hama. :x

That's right! They're both in KING KONG VS GODZILLA.
    I should watch that one again sometime. I'll no doubt rank this Bond higher next time I do a ranking. It's so easy to watch and enjoy.
    Since I'm "half watching" YOLT on Daikaiju TV (it is part of a celebration of Mie Hama's pending 79th birthday), I'll add one additional point that has puzzled me for many years.

While what happened to Mie Hama and Akiko Wakabayashi after they were cast in YOLT, I've never read anything about why they were cast.

I can only surmise that they were chosen as kind of a package deal - given that they had appeared in several Toho pictures together during the 1960s. I just finished watching them in a 1966 film called ADVENTURE IN KIGAN CASTLE and, of course, they starred together in INTERNATIONAL SECRET POLICE: KEY OF KEYS (1965). The latter film was later redubbed by Woody Allen and released as WHAT'S UP TIGER LIIY?
    Since I'm "half watching" YOLT on Daikaiju TV (it is part of a celebration of Mie Hama's pending 79th birthday), I'll add one additional point that has puzzled me for many years.

While what happened to Mie Hama and Akiko Wakabayashi after they were cast in YOLT, I've never read anything about why they were cast.

I can only surmise that they were chosen as kind of a package deal - given that they had appeared in several Toho pictures together during the 1960s. I just finished watching them in a 1966 film called ADVENTURE IN KIGAN CASTLE and, of course, they starred together in INTERNATIONAL SECRET POLICE: KEY OF KEYS (1965). The latter film was later redubbed by Woody Allen and released as WHAT'S UP TIGER LIIY?

Makes sense.
    A final (list) of minor points about YOLT.

1. The "clear the area" guy is played by Chinese restaurateur (and part-time actor) Michael Chow.
    2. "Darling, I give you very best duck" actress Tsai Chin was also in CR2006.
    3. Uncredited "...but where" US military official was played by actor William Sylvester. Sylvester played Dr. Haywood Floyd in 2OO1.

Unimportant facts for sure, but someday they could help you win a bar bet!!!
    :))
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    A final (list) of minor points about YOLT.

1. The "clear the area" guy is played by Chinese restaurateur (and part-time actor) Michael Chow.
    2. "Darling, I give you very best duck" actress Tsai Chin was also in CR2006.
    3. Uncredited "...but where" US military official was played by actor William Sylvester. Sylvester played Dr. Haywood Floyd in 2OO1.

Unimportant facts for sure, but someday they could help you win a bar bet!!!
    :))

These are great facts. Couldn’t remember which of the actors appeared in CR2006, and I just watched 2001 for the first time so I’ll be on the lookout for Floyd in YOLT next time I watch.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Watching Octopussy on Prime Video, wow this film looks amazing. I won't do a comment on it as I just want to enjoy the film. Though this film really does have a lot of charm despite its obvious failings.
    Watching Octopussy on Prime Video, wow this film looks amazing. I won't do a comment on it as I just want to enjoy the film. Though this film really does have a lot of charm despite its obvious failings.

One of my favorites.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

One of my favorites.

The film is a lot of fun, and some themes seem more relevant now than ever.
    OP was the first Bond film I watched at the cinema so it has a sentimental spot for me.
    Magda Bond scene is funny, this film make me smile, I do love this film.
    John Barry's score is brilliant as always.
    OP was the first Bond film I watched at the cinema so it has a sentimental spot for me.

It was my second in the cinema, but the first Bond film I hounded my folks to take me to.
    It was a Saturday matinee at a theatre now long demolished. We had a lot of fun that day.

It was my second in the cinema, but the first Bond film I hounded my folks to take me to.
    It was a Saturday matinee at a theatre now long demolished. We had a lot of fun that day.

I remember it well as I ate too much ice cream after and threw up on the way home :)) I enjoyed the film nonetheless lol

I remember it well as I ate too much ice cream after and threw up on the way home :)) I enjoyed the film nonetheless lol

Haha!
    I remember my Dad commenting how light Roger Moore's hair looked and then telling me Connery had a rival Bond film coming out later in the year. I was hooked on Bond from that day on and had to catch up with all the rest of the films. We didn't have a VHS player yet (or cable) so I had to wait for the ABC Sunday Night Movie to show the films.
    There are some really good subtle moments in this film, certainly during the sheep's head scene.

Haha!
    I remember my Dad commenting how light Roger Moore's hair looked and then telling me Connery had a rival Bond film coming out later in the year. I was hooked on Bond from that day on and had to catch up with all the rest of the films. We didn't have a VHS player yet (or cable) so I had to wait for the ABC Sunday Night Movie to show the films.

I was 9 years old in 83 and was locked into the two Bond films being released though even at that age and being a Sean fan I was defiantly loyal to Cubby lol

I bought all the magazines at the time promoting both films. Still mourn my NSNA poster, I wrecked it.