The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,271
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    This was the start of the villain turning up in the final reel! Wish they did it in every movie!

I am trying to think when the last time that happened, is it really as far back as TSWLM? I suppose you can count TLD.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Stamper?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    "...she certainly had her kicks."

Watch the expression on Connery's face as he takes the gun from Tatiana.
    Great watch, one of the best cheers all.
    And so ends FRWL!
    Great watchalong. Thanks for joining guys!
    Thanks folks, a great watch.

The thing that I’ve always liked about FRWL is how “lean” and muscular it is. Very little is wasted, or stuff filmed just for the hell of it. It’s not that I don’t love GF, but in recent years, this (and YOLT) have become my goto Connery as Bond films.

IMO, FRWL is the Bond version of The Beatles’ Revolver album, in that it was somewhat overshadowed by a later, more showy and elaborate entry (Goldfinger, Sgt. Pepper). But, in many ways, as a film (or an LP), it holds up better.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Thanks folks, a great watch.

The thing that I’ve always liked about FRWL is how “lean” and muscular it is. Very little is wasted, or stuff filmed just for the hell of it. It’s not that I don’t love GF, but in recent years, this (and YOLT) have become my goto Connery as Bond films.

IMO, FRWL is the Bond version of The Beatles’ Revolver album, in that it was somewhat overshadowed by a later, more showy and elaborate entry (Goldfinger, Sgt. Pepper). But, in many ways, as a film (or an LP), it holds up better.

Agreed that is what is so great about the series there is so much variety, in the mood for a gritty down to earth thriller the early films are the best.
    Yes, GF is fantastic, but FRWL is better imo! Glad I picked it! Was gutted I missed it in the cinema reshowings ( Projector broke down!)
    But thst was a terrific viewing! Brilliant stuff
    Yes, GF is fantastic, but FRWL is better imo! Glad I picked it! Was gutted I missed it in the cinema reshowings ( Projector broke down!)

Thanks for organizing this @Mathis1.

As I've posted on other threads, what is impressive - and unique - about the Bond series, is just how much variety there has been over these past 60 years. For every, FRWL or FYEO or CR'06, we have a YOLT or MR.

As I've posted on other threads, what is impressive - and unique - about the Bond series, is just how much variety there has been over these past 60 years. For every, FRWL or FYEO or CR'06, we have a YOLT or MR.

No worries mate.
    Must do it again before Christmas, hopefully @ToTheRight can be available to join us. And we can rope in a few more!

No worries mate.
    Must do it again before Christmas, hopefully @ToTheRight can be available to join us. And we can rope in a few more!

I'd love to. I missed out today regretfully. Some great comments today. Looked like a lot of fun.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 15,801
    MOONRAKRER

Suddenly in the mood for this one. Let's see if I end up ranking this one higher after tonight's viewing..............my last ranking was rubbish. :D
    Jaws lands in a circus tent that appears to be located in the middle of nowhere.

Love these titles.
    Moneypenny thinks Bond is full of s**t.
    As silly as this Bond gets, I love that it sticks to a traditional structure.
    Bond turns down tea and a cucumber sandwich. Love that moment.

One of my favorite "Bond, James Bond" deliveries in the series.
    Everyone blames Bond personally for the loss of the MOONRAKER shuttle. :D
    Bond is getting thrashed.
    If this were a Daniel Craig Bond movie, the pressure of the centrifuge would've caused him to explode like Milton Krest, and the Scooby gang would next toast his legacy.
    Corrine is easily seduced Bond. I kind of miss scenes like this . I suppose we had one in QOS, though.
    The Cubby cameo!
    Quite a bit if sneaky Bond in this one.
    We need more scenes like the glass museum fight. I like seeing valuable expensive antiques get smashed.
    .............I also like seeing operatic singers get their performances interrupted by Bond.
    More sneaky Bond as he enters the C&W warehouse.
    Love the cable car sequence.
    I used to live on a cobblestone hill like the one Bond rolls down. Those were the days. Is should've re-enacted this scene.
    I love Bond's Seiko in this one, though popping off the back casing to pull out the little wire seems like a pain in the arse.
    Bond's cargo passengers start making out with each other.
    Unerrated Ken Adam set, IMO.

I prefer late 70's sci fi space stations to modern CGI sets.
    Jaws is slightly baffled by Drax's perfect race speech.
    I wonder if there were any munchies aboard the MOONRAKER?
    Bond probably hasn't had a bite since Rio.
    MICKEY G!
    Great Barry score throughout.