Octopussy Appreciation Thread

Comments

• cwl007cwl007 England
    I love OP. It's not because of any particular nostalgia either, I can recall with fondness where/when I was when I first saw several Bond films. With OP however it must have been some time in the late 80's on VHS or TV, vague recollections. No, I love it because it's just a bloody good film.
    We watched it on GJB day after my wife chose a Roger and then I chose OP. (Household democracy!)
    I think it's Roger's best performance, for the most part he plays it straight and not the 'sending the part up' routine he was so fond of telling people of in interviews. As mentioned above there are some stand out scenes.
    I love how cool he is in the backgammon scene, I think it's one of the best examples of Bond poking the hornets nest. Who ever came up with the idea of Bond not even looking at the double 6 after he rolls it deserves a large round of applause, brilliant. I love his sincerity after finding Vijay dead and way he dispatches the twin in the cabin with anger and a vengeful quip as opposed to a silly one.
    Fight on the train, fight on the plane, the fight with the goons in the bedroom, the Sotheby's scene, the car chase and race to the bomb are all great.
    If I could only take my top 10 to a desert island OP would definitely be there.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What can I say about Octopussy that I haven't already said before.
    It's the Bond film I most connect too. I can put it on at anytime and still enjoy it as if it's my first viewing. My first viewing was at my home towns cinema. Long since gone.
    But OP was one of the first films I recall seeing on the big screen, back in 1983.
    Stunning visuals, lush and exotic locations, amazing stunt work and this man called James Bond who despite all odds, saves the world, beats the villain and gets the girl. All with charm and class. With a good dose of humour too boot.
    It easily cemented itself as a film that has had an unbelievable effect on me.
    I adore Octopussy from start to finish.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    We all enjoyed Magda’s balcony acrobatics, right? I know I did!

Yes, and Rogers infamous ad lib
    Magda "what a lovely view!"
    Rog "Yes, I painted it myself!"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Watching Octopussy for the first time on Blu-ray last year I noticed for the first time that some of the backdrops looked rather obviously painted. It's a very small criticism though and I only really noticed it because of the improved picture quality on the disc.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Watching Octopussy for the first time on Blu-ray last year I noticed for the first time that some of the backdrops looked rather obviously painted. It's a very small criticism though and I only really noticed it because of the improved picture quality on the disc.

This interests me Draggers,because I found (if you can believe it and I’m not making it up !!) the Ultimate Edition of OP ,my #1 ranked film,sealed in the charity shop 2 doors down from where I live and I was blown away with the clarity and sound on my DVD player (the DVD cost £1.50 !!!)...so should i stay and collect the Ultimates rather than blue ray ???

I have the Special Editions and other ones that I don’t know what they are ,the special editions are struggling or not even working properly on my DVD and the other ones are average .
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2020 Posts: 1,006
    Has anyone ever attempted to re-edit Octopussy? It seems the biggest criticisms are the same few silly parts including the “charming tune” bit, the cleavage zoom in/out, the Tarzan yell, and the tiger “kitty” bit. Seems like it wouldn’t take much work at all as these are just tiny moments, mere seconds.

The gorilla and clown costumes aren’t a deal breaker IMO (it’s spycraft isn’t it?).

Can we petition EON for edited re-release? Seems like it could potentially be a rediscovered classic like OHMSS minus just a few parts.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Can we petition EON for edited re-release?.

Sure. Good luck.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I don't think it should be Re-edited, just like any other bond film OP has it's flaws, some great serious moments and some silly one's as well. Both should exist.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The short story is one of my favourites.
    Mi6 Confidential magazine have just published a special on Octopussy. Received my copy today (didnt think it would arrive before Christmas, a nice surprise this morning!)
    Its a bumper issue of nearly 100 pages, just flicked through it, but it looks great, cant wait to read this!
    The Telegraph has recently published a surprisingly readable article on the film: "'We wouldn’t get away with any of it today': is Octopussy the most outrageous Bond ever?"
    Off to see OP this evening on the big screen! There are certainly scenes they would never do today ( Bond zooming in on the ladys cleavage with the camera for example) but am reminded of one review back in 83, it ended with the line "...racist, sexist, but unflaggingly entertaining with some marvellous stuntwork!" Yup, just about sums it up!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 17,727
    Revelator wrote: »
    The Telegraph has recently published a surprisingly readable article on the film: "'We wouldn’t get away with any of it today': is Octopussy the most outrageous Bond ever?"

Being a big fan and defender of Octopussy I wouldn't mind reading that but sadly it's behind a paywall.
    Being a big fan and defender of Octopussy I wouldn't mind reading that but sadly it's behind a paywall.

Try this. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Revelator wrote: »

Try this. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Yes, that works fine, @Revelator. I knew you could work your magic on it! :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Whatever magic, Octopussy probably remains my least favourite Roger Moore Bond movie, barring (maybe) AVTAK, but that preference keeps changing.
    I've always been a fan of OP and it's one of my most rewatched Bond films. It's very silly in places, but at its heart its a great Cold War thriller with a good dose of Bondian absurdity/adventure.

Honestly, I'd prefer to watch it any day over FYEO and even TLD, as much as I like the latter.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Was on a bit of an OP trip a few weeks back. Yes, I mean Octopussy, not opium (or so I'm told), and it really is a great entry. Thankfully, most/all? of the silliness is confined to the jungle chase rather than spread out across the films' duration. Excellent use of the Indian location - another thing the most recent films could learn a lesson from.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,006
    As others have mentioned, you could literally shave off mere seconds of this film (ie. the “charming tune” bit, the cleavage zoom, the Tarzan yell / “sit!”)

…And I think you’d find Octopussy in most people’s upper half, and even top 10.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,382

Sounds like Octopussy Plot, might be the second coming of General Orlov.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Octopussy...Octopussy...I would never do anything to hurt you.
    Putin's the reason it's the most dangerous decade since World War II or is he really so deluded to think that the West is to blame for his invasion of Ukraine?
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Putin's the reason it's the most dangerous decade since World War II or is he really so deluded to think that the West is to blame for his invasion of Ukraine?
    ..Well yeah after the violent CIA-backed revolution in 2014 followed by 8 years of shelling and terrorizing eastern Ukrainians who don't recognize the illegitimate Kiev regime that consists of literal neo-nazis.

Not to mention NATO's constant provocations and encroachment eastwards, building biolabs and wanting to place missiles in Ukraine that can reach Moscow in mere minutes. Putin has expressed concern about these things numerous times, yet it falls on deaf ears as the West doesn't really seem to care about dialogue or Russia's rights to national security like any other state. If anything he's been way too lenient and patient when dealing with NATO's aggressive behavior.

But on-topic: Octopussy tries to be two things at once, FYEO seriousness + Moore campiness thrown in a blender. It does an alright job at that. Definitely should have been his last movie.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    ..Well yeah after the violent CIA-backed revolution in 2014 followed by 8 years of shelling and terrorizing eastern Ukrainians who don't recognize the illegitimate Kiev regime that consists of literal neo-nazis.

Not to mention NATO's constant provocations and encroachment eastwards, building biolabs and wanting to place missiles in Ukraine that can reach Moscow in mere minutes. Putin has expressed concern about these things numerous times, yet it falls on deaf ears as the West doesn't really seem to care about dialogue or Russia's rights to national security like any other state. If anything he's been way too lenient and patient when dealing with NATO's aggressive behavior.

But on-topic: Octopussy tries to be two things at once, FYEO seriousness + Moore campiness thrown in a blender. It does an alright job at that. Definitely should have been his last movie.

Are you Russian?
  • echo wrote: »

Are you Russian?
    No.

So in your book that justifies starting a war and killing thousands of innocent civilians in targeted missile strikes, not to mention decimating Ukraine's infrastructure? If anything, this reckless war has made Putin and his regime more unstable than ever and he knows he'll either be deposed or killed if he can't bring about a victory for Russia in Ukraine. That's why he has doubled down on his insane invasion of Ukraine when everyone else can see that Russia has irretrievably lost this war. Putin's pipe dream of a reclaimed Soviet empire is coming crashing down in flames before his very eyes and he only has himself to blame for it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is this the tread for NATO propaganda?
    Trying to bring it back by reading all this in General Orlov’s war room voice.