Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I must confess I'm not a big fan of changing Bond's ethnicity, with that being said Sope Dirisu would be an excellent choice.

He's a much better option than Rege Jean Page or even Idris Elba ever was for the role in my opinion
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Dirisu reminds me very much of a young Denzel in terms of his charisma and presence. In fact, he reminds me more of Denzel than Denzel's actual son does.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dirisu reminds me very much of a young Denzel in terms of his charisma and presence. In fact, he reminds me more of Denzel than Denzel's actual son does.

To me, it's wild how charismatic Denzel is and how utterly lacking JDW is in that department. He just feels so flat in so many of his performances, with the recent Amsterdam being an example of that.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,930
    Guess JDW takes after his mam! I know how he feels - my father looked like a cross between Clark Gable and Elvis, but I got none of it and I look like an uglier version of my mother... #noeffinjustice! :))
  • peterpeter Toronto

💯!!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    While studying there he played quarterback for the University of Birmingham Lions American Football team.
    Sorry, can’t habe Dirisu. He’s secretly an American!
    Is Gangs of London worth a watch? The only thing I’ve heard about it is that it had a crazy fight sequence in ep 1 or 2 of the first season.

Also on the topic of young British actors having three good episodes in a big TV show and being linked to Bond: Has Ewan Mitchell been mentioned? He’s pretty good in the couple of House of the Dragon episodes he’s been in and he certainly has a „cruel mouth“.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,962
    I feel very smug that I was the first to mention Sope Disiru back in January 2018.

Yes I hadn't come across him as a Bond candidate until I saw him mentioned in this thread a year or two back, I'm sure it was probably yourself. He seemed a good shout from then onwards, it's fun that it's got to the point where he's being asked about it now.
    He's certainly ridiculously handsome enough, convincingly a man's man, and a good actor, plus it sounds like he would certainly consider it. Definitely one to watch, if not the strongest candidate so far.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 12,837
    Is Gangs of London worth a watch? The only thing I’ve heard about it is that it had a crazy fight sequence in ep 1 or 2 of the first season.

I loved it, but I think how much you’d like it really depends on how big an action movie fan you are. As a TV drama, while it’s not bad at all, it isn’t really anything special compared to some of the stuff we’ve been spoilt with over the last decade. Characters are pretty shallow, plot gets a bit silly, the dialogue is painfully generic, and it’s quite serious in tone too, not much in the way of levity, so it drags a bit at times. But the performances are great, and when the action kicks off, it’s really, really good, as you’d expect from something with Gareth Evans involved. There’s one episode focused on a raid on a country house that puts most blockbusters to shame.
    While studying there he played quarterback for the University of Birmingham Lions American Football team.
    Sorry, can’t habe Dirisu. He’s secretly an American!

Also on the topic of young British actors having three good episodes in a big TV show and being linked to Bond: Has Ewan Mitchell been mentioned? He’s pretty good in the couple of House of the Dragon episodes he’s been in and he certainly has a „cruel mouth“.

I was coming on here to say the same thing about Ewan Mitchell albeit i think he is early 20s so probably still young.

Also one more for the Sope bandwagon here!
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Sope looks like he could be the next Shaft. He'd be great.

THIS is how Bond supposed to look like:

312449951_10160225765924637_5183277593747913497_n.jpg?stp=cp0_dst-jpg_e15_fr_q65&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5bac3a&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=AcB8r5Or1qUAX9N3k1r&tn=2nSiyRcSrYA7qq6E&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-58h4dg3hZwoTnCYpluJvZBpraqIIRlUT25TtKLYzC0Q&oe=6357083B
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Who is that? He's got Bond written all over him.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    He looks like an 90's one hit wonder singer in that photo @JeremyBondon
    I'm guessing you didn't read the GQ article I posted in this thread recently.
    Aidan is still on the list, but Sope is gaining a lot of positive comments on his potential as Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Benny wrote: »
    He looks like an 90's one hit wonder singer in that photo @JeremyBondon
    I'm guessing you didn't read the GQ article I posted in this thread recently.
    Aidan is still on the list, but Sope is gaining a lot of positive comments on his potential as Bond.

Well. You'd be wrong, as they look like the guy below. Also, I don't really care for GQ. Also, how does Sope look older than Turner? Dude looks over 40 easily.

COV.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Who is that? He's got 'cry me a river' written all over him.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    An inside source told me they are going with Justing Bieber. Because of the initials. It makes sense.

I'll leave now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

312449951_10160225765924637_5183277593747913497_n.jpg?stp=cp0_dst-jpg_e15_fr_q65&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5bac3a&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=AcB8r5Or1qUAX9N3k1r&tn=2nSiyRcSrYA7qq6E&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-58h4dg3hZwoTnCYpluJvZBpraqIIRlUT25TtKLYzC0Q&oe=6357083B

I have been on the Turner Bondwagon since And Then There Were None, and I agree with this. The fact that my 3 choices for the next Bond are all white actors, should tell you where I stands regards Bond casting.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 784
    I am not against Turner being cast but I don’t think ATTWN did him any favours at all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sope looks like he could be the next Shaft. He'd be great.

I agree, and strongly support a more traditional casting. That is a preference, not a prejudice.
    Aidan Turner is still my top choice for Bond but I must admit his chances seemed better after SP than after NTTD, espicially given the producers reinvention comments in recent interviews. Turner would probably be a safe bet and I don't know if that interests them. Time will tell I guess
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    After 15 years of Dan, tradcasting at this point would be reinvention, right? ;)
  • Not wanting a black Bond isn’t racist. @Jeremy is though.
    Bond should be black at some point. I would rather have had Idris instead of SF, SP and NTTD. But changing actors too often doesn’t seem like a good idea.
    Bond should be black at some point. I would rather have had Idris instead of SF, SP and NTTD.

There is absolutely no reason that Bond “should” be black.
    And no absolute reason why he shouldn’t.

If Bond can be blond, Bond can be black.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Best man for the job, and Sope certainly has more traits for the character of Bond than anyone mentioned.

At this point, I give a toss what the skin tone is.

Is the man an alpha? Sope represents this quality head and tails above the closest “candidate” (I put this word in quotations since this is all a game, and we, on the outside, have no real understanding on what’s going on at EON HQ).

Is he athletic and physically menacing? Wayyy more than anyone mentioned— no one is close.

Physically attractive? This is more subjective than the above qualities, but I’d wager that Sope is just as hot to women, as any “candidate”. And as a straight man, I admire his looks, build and athleticism.

He’s more charismatic and charming and natural than any of the other “candidates” that I’ve seen. He’s far more dynamic and exciting than any of the others..

And swagger to spare.

These things matter more to me than the tone or colour of one’s skin. Bond represents England. For King and Country. In the 50s, the archetype was a white man.

In the 2020s, it’s a man who could have any ethnicity.

And for Bond? To me, skin tone really doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t. The attributes of the man in the tux are what makes the character resonate.

May the best man win (black, white, mixed, Asian etc etc).

At this point, the “candidates” seem like wet napkins.

Except for Sope.
    And no absolute reason why he shouldn’t.

If Bond can be blond, Bond can be black.

I didn’t say shouldn’t, just that there is no reason he should be.

I don’t wand a pale , freckled ginger as Bond; no offense, but that is not my preference. If Bond were to be around long enough “should” a pale, freckled be Bond? No. Does it mean that he shouldn’t be? No, it’s just my preference that it not be; it’s just my preference.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    Best man for the job, and Sope certainly has more traits for the character of Bond than anyone mentioned.

At this point, I give a toss what the skin tone is.

Is the man an alpha? Sope represents this quality head and tails above the closest “candidate” (I put this word in quotations since this is all a game, and we, on the outside, have no real understanding on what’s going on at EON HQ).

Is he athletic and physically menacing? Wayyy more than anyone mentioned— no one is close.

Physically attractive? This is more subjective than the above qualities, but I’d wager that Sope is just as hot to women, as any “candidate”. And as a straight man, I admire his looks, build and athleticism.

He’s more charismatic and charming and natural than any of the other “candidates” that I’ve seen. He’s far more dynamic and exciting than any of the others..

And swagger to spare.

These things matter more to me than the tone or colour of one’s skin. Bond represents England. For King and Country. In the 50s, the archetype was a white man.

In the 2020s, it’s a man who could have any ethnicity.

And for Bond? To me, skin tone really doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t. The attributes of the man in the tux are what makes the character resonate.

May the best man win (black, white, mixed, Asian etc etc).

At this point, the “candidates” seem like wet napkins.

Except for Sope.

Great post @peter =D>
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you @Benny ….
    Absolutely a beautifully written, valid , post; but feeling the same does not make one a raging, bigoted racist. I am a big Idris Elba fan; he embodies all of the qualities mentioned by Peter. I would love to see him play a suave spy, but he’s not my preference for Bond.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,514
    I'm conflicted on this because I do think Sope Dirisu is a fantastic actor and embodies what I believe Bond is, although my question would be.
    How far do you stray from convention in Bond before you've lost the essence of what the character is?