Worst Bond song

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2022 Posts: 3,389
    We Have All The Time In The World and Underneath The Mango Tree shouldn't been in that list, if that's included, then they should have also included If You Asked Me To by Patti LaBelle and Where Has Everybody Gone/ If there was A Man by The Pretenders or Surrender by KD Lang.

The main theme for DN and OHMSS are those instrumentals by Barry and Norman, those are the only ones that should be ranked (and hey, I would also ranked the OHMSS Instrumental a lot more higher than the others).

To be honest, I never trust any of this Bond theme ranking lists or any Bond related rankings from any sites.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Couldn't find another thread....however

I really liked Writings on the Wall. I think it's far from the worst. Outside of Another Way to Die, I felt that Craig's films had some of the best songs.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Couldn't find another thread....however

I really liked Writings on the Wall. I think it's far from the worst. Outside of Another Way to Die, I felt that Craig's films had some of the best songs.

Whole-heartedly agree with you @Last_Rat_Standing.
    The Brosnan era had the least re-listenable songs for me.

I just don't find myself listening to it again and again unlike the others.
    MI6HQ wrote: »

The only issue I take with this is GoldenEye. And I quite like Surrender.

All Time High will always be the worst Bond theme in my books.
  • I’m no fan of Lulu’s TMWTGG tbh. I can appreciate that it is somewhat iconic, but it just doesn’t feel like a Bond song to me.
    It's NTTD for me. Still can't remember how that song actually goes. I actually like Eilish as a singer/songwriter as well.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    MI6HQ wrote: »

The only issue I take with this is GoldenEye. And I quite like Surrender.

All Time High will always be the worst Bond theme in my books.

The name is.. BEAR, TED E. BEAR. =))

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,363
    Not that I totally dislike No Time To Die, but i find it hard to believe that a bombastic Composer like Zimmer was involved in such a quiet song. The song is good, but it needed more energy.
    Not that I totally dislike No Time To Die, but i find it hard to believe that a bombastic Composer like Zimmer was involved in such a quiet song. The song is good, but it needed more energy.

I feel like a song with more energy wouldn't have fit the film at all. Maybe up against other Bond themes it feels too quiet, but in the film it was exactly what was needed.

I feel like a song with more energy wouldn't have fit the film at all. Maybe up against other Bond themes it feels too quiet, but in the film it was exactly what was needed.

Yeah, it does fit the film. But I just feel even if a song is melancholic, it can be bombastic as well.
    I'll admit I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the song (prior to the film) as I too was hoping for something a little more bombastic after Skyfall and Spectre... but it did make sense to me upon watching the film.

My understanding is Billie and Finneas watched the PTS prior to the final recording of the song which makes sense given the final version of the song.
    I'll admit I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the song (prior to the film) as I too was hoping for something a little more bombastic after Skyfall and Spectre... but it did make sense to me upon watching the film.

My understanding is Billie and Finneas watched the PTS prior to the final recording of the song which makes sense given the final version of the song.

Yeah. Well, even if I'm not entirely happy with the effort, I'm happy it won an Oscar like the last two Bond songs. But in truth, the last two Bond songs were just following Adele's style. Then again, I can't blame them.
    Never liked World is Not Enough by Garbage, but then I heard it performed by a different singer at a concert of Bond songs and it's actually a really good song but unfortunately I think Garbages performance of it is rather poor. Worst song? Toss up between Writings on the Wall and NTTD.
    Aaah! For me, Garbage's The World Is Not Enough is really good. I can't get enough of that guitar that opens the song and also appears in the chorus. I've always wished that guitar was longer. But still love it.
    I think it's Shirley Mansons voice, I find it weak. It needed someone with a more powerful delivery
  • peterpeter Toronto
    When I was younger, I really had issues with the ballads of the 80s (FYEO, All Time High, LTK)… But as I get older, I find myself respecting these songs and my softening heart embraces them.

I actually love all the Bond theme songs for one reason or another, except for: TWOTW. I have heard this sung by female artists, and I think it’s a lovely piece. I also think the instrumental version(s) is very strong. I just don’t like Sam Smith wailing away like a strangled cat.

But other than this one song, I do find great joy and memories in the other entries…
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I think it's Shirley Mansons voice, I find it weak. It needed someone with a more powerful delivery

I think she was being sultry with the song.
  • RyanRyan Canada

I wish the studio mix had put a bit more emphasis on the percussion much like her live performances. I find that gives the song a bit of a boost while still retaining the melancholic feel.
    Thanks to the new doc we know that Moonraker is Shirley Bassey’s least favourite Bond song. :))
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,389
    Thanks to the new doc we know that Moonraker is Shirley Bassey’s least favourite Bond song. :))

But her vocals in Moonraker is much better than DAF (I mean her vocal rendition in Moonraker is much better than Diamonds, it's lovely and mellow yet powerful).

I'll admit, not a fan of the tone and the score, but the way Bassey sang that song always gets me.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Oh man I'm not sure I can agree, Diamonds is legendary. Hate the film but love the song.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,389
    Oh man I'm not sure I can agree, Diamonds is legendary. Hate the film but love the song.

Sure in terms of instrumentals, DAF is sure great, the orchestra, the tone, it's all great.

But I'm not a fan of the way Shirley Bassey sang it, and the lyrics didn't fit her voice.

The lyrics of Moonraker fits her voice more, and she gave those lyrics a great vocal rendition.
    I'm definitely talking about the vocals, not the instrumentals.

But it's just opinions. I haven't listened to Moonraker in awhile tbf.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2022 Posts: 5,958
    As I get older, I think DAF might be the best, and most Bondian, song of all. (I used to favor Nobody Does It Better and YOLT.)

And the song ushered Connery back in perfectly at a time when the series desperately needed it.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Three excellent choices. I loved the Nobody Does It Better segment of the doc. YOLT might be my favourite of all the themes.

On the other side of the coin, I found the whole situation with Jack White to be a little off-putting. He knew they brought him in at the last minute due to an unfortunate situation with Amy Winehouse, and he took advantage of the situation by putting a bunch of things in the song he knew people wouldn't like. Feels especially disrespectful now knowing the whole picture with regards to Amy Winehouse. But as some people in the doc said, it's always good to be pushing the boundaries with Bond.

Anyway, another thread.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2022 Posts: 5,958
    The Prince anecdote about AWTD was illuminating...and it totally made sense because he too was experimental. Thinking of Burton's original Batman ("Get the funk out!").
    I too am a fan of the song, just the circumstances were a little off putting.
    The opening and end of AWTD is great, but the rest of the song is shockingly sparse when it comes to instruments. Almost like they were singing in an empty room with limited instruments. Although, lately I've started liking the song just as it is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah. Well, even if I'm not entirely happy with the effort, I'm happy it won an Oscar like the last two Bond songs. But in truth, the last two Bond songs were just following Adele's style. Then again, I can't blame them.

It is funny to think that Ms Eilish wouldn’t have been old enough to see Skyfall in the cinema when it came out.