Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,483
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The future of Bond doesn't excite me at all

Write your own James Bond story that, if it turned into a film, would excite you.

I'm not holding my breath really for the next official Bond film (it will come, just not for a long time I don't think, and I will certainly get excited and go see it when it does), so I'm toying with a bunch of Bond creative projects.

Even if you have no interest in writing, I bet you have a hobby or two that you could incorporate Bond into.

Yeah you're right mate. I wish I had @peter level writing chops to write my own Bond stories 😅

It's just a waiting game at the minute, I'll get more excited when we get some more concrete news
    I think this guy Idris Elba has something. Perhaps he could be the next Bond. Sorry if his name has been suggested before.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I think this guy Idris Elba has something. Perhaps he could be the next Bond. Sorry if his name has been suggested before.

Too young I think.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 15,785
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Frankly my excitement is at a low too. Between coming off an era neatly wrapped up and a lot of things I don’t like up in the air regarding the next one, I have no problem just waiting around for now. In the chance NTTD ends up being the last good one for me, at least for a long time, I can live with that. Nothing could be more annoying than the countless issues and delays to conclude one actor’s tenure.

Sadly, I'm not too excited for B26 either.

Even worse, say we get another 6 year gap,(depending on the approach the next film takes), I can envision skipping it in cinemas and renting it from Redbox a few months later.
    Never thought I'd feel that about Bond, but TBH very few films get me excited enough to catch them in the cinema. Often when I do see them later, I'm glad I had saved my money and fuel.
    To me, this is crazy; I can’t imagine my love of Bond dropping to a point where I won’t watch a new one in theatres day one.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 12,243
    My love of the Bond we have already is about as sturdy as ever. My concern / lack of enthusiasm is what is to come. I have more interest in the new game being developed right now. If I get the reassurance I need later B26 will be as it should and we get solid news in general about it, my hype will rebound. As things are right now I’m more than fine with what I’ve got.
    To me, this is crazy; I can’t imagine my love of Bond dropping to a point where I won’t watch a new one in theatres day one.

It's weird. Just about everyone I know personally skipped NTTD in the cinema. I myself never saw any of the latest STAR WARS films and only a small handful of the Marvel and DC movies in the cinema. I used to be a huge Superman fan, for instance.
    And I'd seen all the previous Star Wars films during their releases.
    I still love Bond, but if there's too long a wait or the film either steers too far from seeming like a Bond film, I may just watch it on Blu-ray.
    Damn...if there's too long a gap I might not even be around for it regardless.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So with a couple of years before EON start looking for an actor, it would appear that many candidates mentioned in this thread are going to be out. Sorry @JeremyBondon that includes Aidan Turner you’d have to think.
    Also with Bond #7 needing to be under 40 and willing to sign up for a decade, then I think we’re looking at actors in their mid to late 20’s at present.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Of the know commodities, Hoult and Lowden are at the top of my list.
    I’d be willing to chuck Harry Styles into the mix.
    Few more years of acting experience under his belt. He could be primed to take the role in 2025
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Can you imagine Harry Styles seducing Monica Bellucci? No way ;)

He’s too youthful, and will be in the future, similar to Turner.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I keep drifting back to Josh O'Conner, because I think he's a terrific actor and is basically how I envision literary Bond. But of course what makes for a good literary Bond doesn't necessarily make for a good cinematic Bond. Also, he's around the same age as Connery was in Dr No, and tbf Connery looks younger than I remember in that film, but O'Conner still looks quite boyish. People really are just built different these days.

With how long Bond 26 is going to take to produce even the actors were suggesting now might be aged out and how do you judge twenty-year-old on whether they'll be a good Bond in x-number of years. It's an impossible game.

sigh-prince-charles.gif
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    His ears are too big and I bet his fingers are HUGE. Like very large sausages....

I jest of course ;)! He's a good actor but maybe I do see too much of King Charles in him thanks to The Crown. However, he's only 32 which seems to put him in a good age range given the articles that come out over the last few days.

As an added bonus, he could also sing the theme tune @NickTwentyTwo ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Heaven wrote: »
    His ears are too big and I bet his fingers are HUGE. Like very large sausages....

Sounds more like he'd be suitable to play Q :D
    Benny wrote: »

As an added bonus, he could also sing the theme tune @NickTwentyTwo ;)

Olivia Wilde could be the Bond girl! Chris Pine the villain?
    Venutius wrote: »
    Dominic West's from Sheffield - that's a no-no for a start! ;)

I actually think West could have been a great Bond. In an alternate universe he is one of the few, with James Purefoy and Jason Isaacs, I could have imagined him instead of Craig. I still think they went for the best choice, mind you, but I would have taken Dominic West over Clive Owen or that guy from Avatar in a heartbeat.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    mtm wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »

Sounds more like he'd be suitable to play Q :D

:D :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Dominic West's from Sheffield - that's a no-no for a start! ;)

I actually think West could have been a great Bond. In an alternate universe he is one of the few, with James Purefoy and Jason Isaacs, I could have imagined him instead of Craig. I still think they went for the best choice, mind you, but I would have taken Dominic West over Clive Owen or that guy from Avatar in a heartbeat.
    Yes, agreed. West, Purefoy and Isaacs all seem to be cut from similar cloth and could well have made a decent stab at it in other circumstances.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Isaacs does kind of look like the perfect Bond: he’s an excellent actor with good range too.
    I think he basically plays a 007-style character in The Tuxedo..?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    Isaacs does kind of look like the perfect Bond: he’s an excellent actor with good range too.
    I think he basically plays a 007-style character in The Tuxedo..?

Yes, he does. He was very debonair in it.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I thought West was excellent with Whishaw in The Hour and I love Jason Isaacs in everything he's in, in another lifetime I think he would've been a brilliant Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wonder if Isaacs wasn’t interested, or perhaps the producers wanted to break the mould slightly in 2005.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Just had a look at Isaacs in some scenes from The Tuxedo. He’d have been great! He was probably a bit too old at the time at about 40. I was aware of him before, but having just seen those clips of him I can’t help but think we are really scraping the barrel right now with Harry Styles and Josh Connor [-X
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Isaacs reminds me a lot of Dalton. Very similar features
  • Twelve years, 24/7. It's also lonely at the top.
    Isaacs terrific and so versatile. He's good at villains as well as more admirable characters, which is great for a Bond to be a credible person of action and danger. Alas - warning, here it comes - Isaacs was hooked...for another role. For which he was FANTASTIC !
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    So it seems Isaacs is another one who got away. Fassbender being the recent one.
    Issacs even looks a bit like a modern version of a young Hoagey Carmichael in The Tuxedo. Definitely very much in the realm of 'quintessential Bond', and can see him in the place of Fleming's Bond with a scar and a comma of hair over his brow.

That said, I'm always sceptical of considering actors who have played Bond-esque roles that are essentially meant to be parodies, or even if played straight draw heavily upon the popular culture depiction of a 'James Bond type spy'. Any actor approaching the role of Bond has to do something different with it, all while still recognisably embodying the character. In that sense the only thing the producers had to go with Issacs was an impression of Bond, not a role in which his potential to play the character was authentically showcased. Hence, I can very much see why he wasn't considered.