Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    I’d be willing to chuck Harry Styles into the mix.
    Few more years of acting experience under his belt. He could be primed to take the role in 2025
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,321
    Can you imagine Harry Styles seducing Monica Bellucci? No way ;)

He’s too youthful, and will be in the future, similar to Turner.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I keep drifting back to Josh O'Conner, because I think he's a terrific actor and is basically how I envision literary Bond. But of course what makes for a good literary Bond doesn't necessarily make for a good cinematic Bond. Also, he's around the same age as Connery was in Dr No, and tbf Connery looks younger than I remember in that film, but O'Conner still looks quite boyish. People really are just built different these days.

With how long Bond 26 is going to take to produce even the actors were suggesting now might be aged out and how do you judge twenty-year-old on whether they'll be a good Bond in x-number of years. It's an impossible game.

sigh-prince-charles.gif
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    His ears are too big and I bet his fingers are HUGE. Like very large sausages....

I jest of course ;)! He's a good actor but maybe I do see too much of King Charles in him thanks to The Crown. However, he's only 32 which seems to put him in a good age range given the articles that come out over the last few days.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator

As an added bonus, he could also sing the theme tune @NickTwentyTwo ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Heaven wrote: »
    His ears are too big and I bet his fingers are HUGE. Like very large sausages....

Sounds more like he'd be suitable to play Q :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Benny wrote: »

As an added bonus, he could also sing the theme tune @NickTwentyTwo ;)

Olivia Wilde could be the Bond girl! Chris Pine the villain?
    Venutius wrote: »
    Dominic West's from Sheffield - that's a no-no for a start! ;)

I actually think West could have been a great Bond. In an alternate universe he is one of the few, with James Purefoy and Jason Isaacs, I could have imagined him instead of Craig. I still think they went for the best choice, mind you, but I would have taken Dominic West over Clive Owen or that guy from Avatar in a heartbeat.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    mtm wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »

Sounds more like he'd be suitable to play Q :D

:D :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Dominic West's from Sheffield - that's a no-no for a start! ;)

I actually think West could have been a great Bond. In an alternate universe he is one of the few, with James Purefoy and Jason Isaacs, I could have imagined him instead of Craig. I still think they went for the best choice, mind you, but I would have taken Dominic West over Clive Owen or that guy from Avatar in a heartbeat.
    Yes, agreed. West, Purefoy and Isaacs all seem to be cut from similar cloth and could well have made a decent stab at it in other circumstances.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Isaacs does kind of look like the perfect Bond: he’s an excellent actor with good range too.
    I think he basically plays a 007-style character in The Tuxedo..?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lagos, Nigeria
    Isaacs does kind of look like the perfect Bond: he’s an excellent actor with good range too.
    I think he basically plays a 007-style character in The Tuxedo..?

Yes, he does. He was very debonair in it.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I thought West was excellent with Whishaw in The Hour and I love Jason Isaacs in everything he's in, in another lifetime I think he would've been a brilliant Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wonder if Isaacs wasn’t interested, or perhaps the producers wanted to break the mould slightly in 2005.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Just had a look at Isaacs in some scenes from The Tuxedo. He’d have been great! He was probably a bit too old at the time at about 40. I was aware of him before, but having just seen those clips of him I can’t help but think we are really scraping the barrel right now with Harry Styles and Josh Connor [-X
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Isaacs reminds me a lot of Dalton. Very similar features
  • DewiWynBondDewiWynBond > Secret Actor <
    Twelve years, 24/7. It's also lonely at the top.
    Isaacs terrific and so versatile. He's good at villains as well as more admirable characters, which is great for a Bond to be a credible person of action and danger. Alas - warning, here it comes - Isaacs was hooked...for another role. For which he was FANTASTIC !
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lagos, Nigeria
    So it seems Isaacs is another one who got away. Fassbender being the recent one.
    Issacs even looks a bit like a modern version of a young Hoagey Carmichael in The Tuxedo. Definitely very much in the realm of 'quintessential Bond', and can see him in the place of Fleming's Bond with a scar and a comma of hair over his brow.

That said, I'm always sceptical of considering actors who have played Bond-esque roles that are essentially meant to be parodies, or even if played straight draw heavily upon the popular culture depiction of a 'James Bond type spy'. Any actor approaching the role of Bond has to do something different with it, all while still recognisably embodying the character. In that sense the only thing the producers had to go with Issacs was an impression of Bond, not a role in which his potential to play the character was authentically showcased. Hence, I can very much see why he wasn't considered.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 12,052
    I don't think it would have put him out of the running, he was very much a supporting character in that. Pierce did way more ersatz Bond stuff than he ever did!
    I think there's a chance that he wouldn't have been up for it- his career has always seemed like he goes for the more interesting stuff.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 1,266
    I don't think it would have put him out of the running, he was very much a supporting character in that. Pierce did way more ersatz Bond stuff than he ever did!
    I think there's a chance that he wouldn't have been up for it- his career has always seemed like he goes for the more interesting stuff.

I was actually going to add, Brosnan's tenure wouldn't have helped in that regard! I think there was a sense that they wanted a different type of Bond anyway. Issacs is a great actor, but even if he was considered in an alternate universe he likely wouldn't have played Bond like he did his character in The Tuxedo. I haven't personally seen any other role by him that strikes me as Bondian, and if anything I see more potential in him as a villain. I certainly can't see him playing the type of Bond Craig did in CR.

I mean, in theory playing Bond isn't a case of only a handful of actors (or in any era, one specific actor) being 'the chosen one' but more a situation where the right actor has to fit the right Bond, and beyond that fit the right time frame for that Bond to succeed best in. So perhaps it's just a case where he wasn't the right man.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 706
    Isaacs would have indeed been the most flemingesque Bond. There is this cold inherent cruelty in his eyes. He seems like a perfect fit post-Craig since the cinematic character had a distinct visual and tonal identity before him.

I never saw Dominic West as a better fit than Elba who was the true star of The Wire.
    I think the actor who next plays Bond must come across convincingly as a battle-Hardy-ned warrior. He must be believable at action, whether shooting, kicking, punching or Elba-ing people. He must be able to quickly Turner from warm to cold-hearted when threatened, revealing a Cillian instinct. He must display plenty of Styles and taste for the finer things in life. He must be able to Hoult the bad guy's plans time and time again. When he finds himself at an all-time Lowden, he must bounce back and kick ass again. And when he is unable to complete the mission for himself, he must call in the Cavill-ry, so that we can have a YOLT-style battle again. He must be Sasse, and display a flair for comedy without being too Hamm-y. He must be prepared to go to France and Italy, South Africa and Holland. And of course, he must be in it for the Wyn.

Just keep adding to it as you see fit.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I saw Snake Eyes the other night. Henry Golding is handsome, athletic, and I think has a certain amount of star quality, but I think he'll need a better vehicle than this to catch Eon's eye. I'd like to see him in something with some action, but a better script.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 12,052
    I like Golding in some ways but I'm not sure if I get mega star vibes from him just yet. But he can certainly do smooth and suave.

Oh man, isn't it nice just to be able to have a friendly chat in this thread now? :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have just given myself another viewing of THE MAN FROM UNCLE. Cavill really looks awesome in that '60s setting. I cannot entirely dismiss him from the Bond contest...
    I like Golding in some ways but I'm not sure if I get mega star vibes from him just yet. But he can certainly do smooth and suave.

Oh man, isn't it nice just to be able to have a friendly chat in this thread now? :)

All is fine as long as no mods are involved.
    I saw Snake Eyes the other night. Henry Golding is handsome, athletic, and I think has a certain amount of star quality, but I think he'll need a better vehicle than this to catch Eon's eye. I'd like to see him in something with some action, but a better script.

My main memory of Golding is in Last Christmas - one of the silliest Romantic Comedies I think I've ever seen. I'm not even quite sure why it was even made. He's charming in it, actually much better cast than Emilia Clarke is in her role. I'm not sure if I get Bond from him though.

That said I'm surprised he's been mentioned as much as he has been in the press for the role (not too much, but more than others).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I never saw the end of that film - as soon as I sussed that it was a twist on those Wham lyrics, I switched it off! Not even kidding. I can't be watching tripe like that, man! Based on what I did see, I'd say that Golding's too lightweight for Bond. But that brings us back to the 'is it the role or is it the actor?' conundrum. Looking at that film, I can't picture Golding as Bond - but, as someone else said, if you looked just at Tomb Raider, how many of us would've seen Craig as Bond? No easy way around this one.