How do you listen to music?

Comments

Nice! I’m basically exactly in the same boat… Can’t see parting with it but it does seem a little unreasonable to keep it around forever. I remember we were once talking about how we both used PSPs as our primary music devices a long time ago in this thread… I don’t have mine anymore but what a brilliant device. Way ahead of it’s time I think.

The PSP was an odd but interesting one for me. I don't think I used it enough, even though it was a handheld media console as much as a gaming console. Looking back, it was probably a better device than I thought at the time.

And I agree, hanging on to collections of stuff we've collected through the years might be unreasonable. But I guess as long as those things still brings joy, it's worth keeping. When it becomes a problem more than anything else, then it might be time to do a clear out!
    £8.99 in isolation isn't a bad price really, but when you begin to add up other services, it becomes an unnecessary expense, I guess. I've cancelled every subscription I don't need anymore, and those extra few pounds each month (or kroner in my case) really makes a difference.

Haha! That's actually why I'm looking for an ideal storage solution for my CDs. Not that I need them within arms reach, but I want an easy access, organised storage solution which also hides the collection as I don't need them on display.

I've been looking into the customisable storage solutions by Tylko, but they are not cheap. Might be worth the expense though.

Just checked the link there are some cool shelves, I need something for my CD's that is narrow i depth as space in my Movie room is not great.

The great thing about these storage solutions is how customisable they are. I've really struggled finding storage solutions that are smart and also look good. It's usually one or the other. There's always the option of having custom built storage solutions, but that will be even more expensive than these Tylko solutions.

Ikea hacks is an option too, of course.

All my shelves are black very 90's looking around my Movie room every thing is black lol even half of my movie poster picture frames. I hjave no wall mounted solutions though which really would be good in this room.

Although black furniture can look very good, I've purposely stayed away from black furniture at my place, as white or lighter colours make my rooms look more open and spacious. There are a lot of good wall mounted solutions out there; I see a lot of people favour the String Furniture solutions which are very customisable. Others have opted for the Vitsœ 606 Universal Shelving System. Both of these solutions are great, but out of my price range.

I really love modular furniture though. At work we have several Muuto Stacked shelves, and I am considering a Stacked configuration for one of my rooms. I already own a few Panton Wire shelves, which are really great. These two systems are also expensive, and I've only picked up single Panton Wire shelves when I've had money to spare. That's the cool thing about these systems; you can build them over time, adding one and one shelf if you like. With the String and Vitsœ systems, you're looking at quite the expense just to get started.

A side note: the Panton Wire system was designed by Werner Panton, who's work has featured in several Bond films. His Pantonova modular sofa which shares the style of the Panton Wire shelves, was Karl Stromberg's seating of choice in TSWLM.

vi029-Pantonova-chairs-Atlantis-Stromberg-layout-chair-system-TSWLM.jpg

I like the look of those shelving systems I watched the Vitsoe video, I could really do with something like that to maximize space, my movie room is incredibly cluttered.

Makes sense with the lighter colored furniture, it would certainly make my room look bigger. Problem is all my stuff is black I am not very imaginative lol

The Vitsœ shelving system can carry quite a bit of weight too, I believe, which is a big plus.

At least you're sticking with a palette! The Panton Wire shelving system also come in black, but I don't think any of the other systems I mentioned do.

I need to sort out a spare room it it just full of junk, going to attempt to be ruthless. Once cleared I would envisage shelve around the all the walls, it would free up space if I put all my disk media in there, certainly a consideration. i will definitely look at options.

There's usually that one room that just becomes a dumping ground for all the stuff we don't use. I had a clear out of my belongings a couple of years ago, but it's time to do it again I think. I'm thinking of turning one of my rooms to a media storage room/library. It's not that big, but it could become a great place to store all the stuff I don't need on display in my living room. Right now I have so much boxed up.

Yeah its full of old consoles and records and books and empty boxes :)) and god knows what else. I need to be ruthless and clear the lot. I have a bad habit of holding onto boxes for electrical items like I am going to need them someday.

Don't we all! Stuff like that was part of my last clear out. I thought I'd got rid of all of most of it last time around, then I found some more…

I have a so called clear out every year though never seem to clear much or new stuff appears from nowhere :))

Several years ago I read that when you bring one new item into your home, you should get rid of another. There might be something to that.

Sound logic, i have 3 weeks off now so time to sort out my music and clutter.

Been looking for new ear pads for my Bluedio Headphones as they are torn slightly, I have only recently realized they can be removed. I will look for some good quality ones.

I did a mini clear out a week ago. Just a couple of small boxes, but it's better than having to do a big clear out later.

I changed the pads on my Sennheiser headphones last year, as one of the old ones had got loose. Buying new pads was super cheap (not original Sennheiser ones though), but they were a bit finicky to mount onto the headphones. Might buy a second pair in case the same happens again, and in case there are no similar pads available for my model.

I have looked at various pads of differing prices, what i will do before purchasing is watch some reviews on YouTube to see which material is best. My Bluedio's have a silver accent and a blue light when on so may go for something other than plain black ear pads.

Tomorrow i will totally empty one room and try to be ruthless with empty boxes as I have way to many lol

Having a look at reviews is always smart – especially if you go for more pricy pads. The ones I got for my Sennheisers are nothing special, but very similar to the original ones. Maybe a bit softer – which may or may not be a good thing.

I really struggle with clear outs, and being ruthless is the only way I can get it done. I never regret it though!

I could not find many pads specific to the make of my headphones though it appears there are specific size ranges that fit various models, I will measure them to make sure.

This is very likely. I found my replacements searching for my specific model, but I'm sure they will work with other models/brands of headphones as well.

Ended up going cycling along the coast before the footy the weather was too good, though still got weeks off to sort clear out and Ear Pads. Online is cheaper and endless variety though i really wish high street shops existed where i could try the Ear Pads out. Though amazon do a decent sale and return on certain items, though its still a pain sending stuff back.

I bought my replacements through an Amazon dealer. Ideally I would have liked to see the ear pads in person before buying, but the price I ended up paying was affordable enough to take the chance. If they had been on the more pricy end of the scale, I wouldn't have taken the chance buying online.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,272
    Received the Spotify Car Thing in the mail yesterday. It's a small little gadget for those of us that don't have Car Play in our cars, and offers Spotify connectivity through your phone and Bluetooth.

Now discontinued (though still supported), the Car Thing is a nice, minimalistic looking audio receiver and player with voice control feature, touch screen and a turning dial. I ordered one partly out of curiosity and partly for work reasons. I don't drive that much, so I will likely be looking to find a solution where I can use this as a screen and player for my audio setup at home.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I always thought that hardware looked pretty great, with that dial and everything. Makes great sense if you have a car that doesn't support CarPlay / whatever else, will be interesting to hear how you incorporate it into your home.

Spotify is a tough one because I use it a ton but don't love it's business practices really. Cool looking gadget aside I'm not exactly looking for new ways to pay them (which is immaterial anyways, as you said, they're discontinued).

Let us know how it works for you!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Nice! I’m basically exactly in the same boat… Can’t see parting with it but it does seem a little unreasonable to keep it around forever. I remember we were once talking about how we both used PSPs as our primary music devices a long time ago in this thread… I don’t have mine anymore but what a brilliant device. Way ahead of it’s time I think.

The PSP was an odd but interesting one for me. I don't think I used it enough, even though it was a handheld media console as much as a gaming console. Looking back, it was probably a better device than I thought at the time.

And I agree, hanging on to collections of stuff we've collected through the years might be unreasonable. But I guess as long as those things still brings joy, it's worth keeping. When it becomes a problem more than anything else, then it might be time to do a clear out!
    £8.99 in isolation isn't a bad price really, but when you begin to add up other services, it becomes an unnecessary expense, I guess. I've cancelled every subscription I don't need anymore, and those extra few pounds each month (or kroner in my case) really makes a difference.

Haha! That's actually why I'm looking for an ideal storage solution for my CDs. Not that I need them within arms reach, but I want an easy access, organised storage solution which also hides the collection as I don't need them on display.

I've been looking into the customisable storage solutions by Tylko, but they are not cheap. Might be worth the expense though.

Just checked the link there are some cool shelves, I need something for my CD's that is narrow i depth as space in my Movie room is not great.

The great thing about these storage solutions is how customisable they are. I've really struggled finding storage solutions that are smart and also look good. It's usually one or the other. There's always the option of having custom built storage solutions, but that will be even more expensive than these Tylko solutions.

All my shelves are black very 90's looking around my Movie room every thing is black lol even half of my movie poster picture frames. I hjave no wall mounted solutions though which really would be good in this room.

Although black furniture can look very good, I've purposely stayed away from black furniture at my place, as white or lighter colours make my rooms look more open and spacious. There are a lot of good wall mounted solutions out there; I see a lot of people favour the String Furniture solutions which are very customisable. Others have opted for the Vitsœ 606 Universal Shelving System. Both of these solutions are great, but out of my price range.

I really love modular furniture though. At work we have several Muuto Stacked shelves, and I am considering a Stacked configuration for one of my rooms. I already own a few Panton Wire shelves, which are really great. These two systems are also expensive, and I've only picked up single Panton Wire shelves when I've had money to spare. That's the cool thing about these systems; you can build them over time, adding one and one shelf if you like. With the String and Vitsœ systems, you're looking at quite the expense just to get started.

A side note: the Panton Wire system was designed by Werner Panton, who's work has featured in several Bond films. His Pantonova modular sofa which shares the style of the Panton Wire shelves, was Karl Stromberg's seating of choice in TSWLM.

I like the look of those shelving systems I watched the Vitsoe video, I could really do with something like that to maximize space, my movie room is incredibly cluttered.

Makes sense with the lighter colored furniture, it would certainly make my room look bigger. Problem is all my stuff is black I am not very imaginative lol

The Vitsœ shelving system can carry quite a bit of weight too, I believe, which is a big plus.

At least you're sticking with a palette! The Panton Wire shelving system also come in black, but I don't think any of the other systems I mentioned do.

I need to sort out a spare room it it just full of junk, going to attempt to be ruthless. Once cleared I would envisage shelve around the all the walls, it would free up space if I put all my disk media in there, certainly a consideration. i will definitely look at options.

There's usually that one room that just becomes a dumping ground for all the stuff we don't use. I had a clear out of my belongings a couple of years ago, but it's time to do it again I think. I'm thinking of turning one of my rooms to a media storage room/library. It's not that big, but it could become a great place to store all the stuff I don't need on display in my living room. Right now I have so much boxed up.

Yeah its full of old consoles and records and books and empty boxes :)) and god knows what else. I need to be ruthless and clear the lot. I have a bad habit of holding onto boxes for electrical items like I am going to need them someday.

Don't we all! Stuff like that was part of my last clear out. I thought I'd got rid of all of most of it last time around, then I found some more…

I have a so called clear out every year though never seem to clear much or new stuff appears from nowhere :))

Several years ago I read that when you bring one new item into your home, you should get rid of another. There might be something to that.

Been looking for new ear pads for my Bluedio Headphones as they are torn slightly, I have only recently realized they can be removed. I will look for some good quality ones.

I did a mini clear out a week ago. Just a couple of small boxes, but it's better than having to do a big clear out later.

I changed the pads on my Sennheiser headphones last year, as one of the old ones had got loose. Buying new pads was super cheap (not original Sennheiser ones though), but they were a bit finicky to mount onto the headphones. Might buy a second pair in case the same happens again, and in case there are no similar pads available for my model.

I have looked at various pads of differing prices, what i will do before purchasing is watch some reviews on YouTube to see which material is best. My Bluedio's have a silver accent and a blue light when on so may go for something other than plain black ear pads.

Tomorrow i will totally empty one room and try to be ruthless with empty boxes as I have way to many lol

Having a look at reviews is always smart – especially if you go for more pricy pads. The ones I got for my Sennheisers are nothing special, but very similar to the original ones. Maybe a bit softer – which may or may not be a good thing.

I really struggle with clear outs, and being ruthless is the only way I can get it done. I never regret it though!

I could not find many pads specific to the make of my headphones though it appears there are specific size ranges that fit various models, I will measure them to make sure.

This is very likely. I found my replacements searching for my specific model, but I'm sure they will work with other models/brands of headphones as well.

Ended up going cycling along the coast before the footy the weather was too good, though still got weeks off to sort clear out and Ear Pads. Online is cheaper and endless variety though i really wish high street shops existed where i could try the Ear Pads out. Though amazon do a decent sale and return on certain items, though its still a pain sending stuff back.

I bought my replacements through an Amazon dealer. Ideally I would have liked to see the ear pads in person before buying, but the price I ended up paying was affordable enough to take the chance. If they had been on the more pricy end of the scale, I wouldn't have taken the chance buying online.

I will look around, on amazon there are often alternate sellers at better prices.
    Received the Spotify Car Thing in the mail yesterday. It's a small little gadget for those of us that don't have Car Play in our cars, and offers Spotify connectivity through your phone and Bluetooth.

Now discontinued (though still supported), the Car Thing is a nice, minimalistic looking audio receiver and player with voice control feature, touch screen and a turning dial. I ordered one partly out of curiosity and partly for work reasons. I don't drive that much, so I will likely be looking to find a solution where I can use this as a screen and player for my audio setup at home.

Looks like a cool gadget, I have only ever used the free Spotify though I regularly use the free version for Podcasts, I am not sure if its worth me upgrading when I already have Prime Music? Though my Spotify App is constantly telling me I can link Spotify account to Alexa and my smart speakers.

Fell ill on Monday so done absolutely nothing :)) moved my holiday time to the week after next fortuitously so I will de clutter and buy new headphone Ear Pads then.
    I definitely see the reservations and criticisms against Spotify's business practices, and it's sometimes think about too – even though it's my favoured music streaming service. I've discovered a lot of artists through the service though, and I purchase music of the artists I really like when I can.

I've only used the Car Thing in my car for a couple of short errands so far. The voice commands work better than I expected (even when driving on a busy road with the car window open) – though it fails when I try getting it to play Norwegian artists or example; it's not smart enough to recognise non English artists, by the looks of it.

I will look around, on amazon there are often alternate sellers at better prices.

I bought my replacement pads through Amazon, but they only handled the transaction. It was another seller which sold the replacement pads.

Looks like a cool gadget, I have only ever used the free Spotify though I regularly use the free version for Podcasts, I am not sure if its worth me upgrading when I already have Prime Music? Though my Spotify App is constantly telling me I can link Spotify account to Alexa and my smart speakers.

Fell ill on Monday so done absolutely nothing :)) moved my holiday time to the week after next fortuitously so I will de clutter and buy new headphone Ear Pads then.

I don't think it's worth upgrading to a Premium subscription if you already have Prime Music. I tried having Apple Music as well as Spotify years ago, but it seemed unnecessary in the end to have both streaming services.

Oh, that's typical! A clear out is not something that's worth your time when you're ill.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I definitely see the reservations and criticisms against Spotify's business practices, and it's sometimes think about too – even though it's my favoured music streaming service. I've discovered a lot of artists through the service though, and I purchase music of the artists I really like when I can.

I've only used the Car Thing in my car for a couple of short errands so far. The voice commands work better than I expected (even when driving on a busy road with the car window open) – though it fails when I try getting it to play Norwegian artists or example; it's not smart enough to recognise non English artists, by the looks of it.

I bought my replacement pads through Amazon, but they only handled the transaction. It was another seller which sold the replacement pads.

I don't think it's worth upgrading to a Premium subscription if you already have Prime Music. I tried having Apple Music as well as Spotify years ago, but it seemed unnecessary in the end to have both streaming services.

Oh, that's typical! A clear out is not something that's worth your time when you're ill.

I think my Prime Music Unlimited expires in October, I may try the Spotify free trial just to see what it is like. It will be interesting just to compare the services.
    Might be worth a try if your current subscription expires anyway. Don't know the price difference between the two services, as I've never tried Prime Music Unlimited.

I've had a Spotify account since they started out, and a Premium subscription for a long time as well, and never really looked much at other services (Apple Music aside).
    Might be worth a try if your current subscription expires anyway. Don't know the price difference between the two services, as I've never tried Prime Music Unlimited.

I've had a Spotify account since they started out, and a Premium subscription for a long time as well, and never really looked much at other services (Apple Music aside).

Prime Music Unlimited is £8.99 a month, there is some limited 3D music available with that subscription, though the 3D library is increasing.

Prime Music Unlimited is £8.99 a month, there is some limited 3D music available with that subscription, though the 3D library is increasing.

£9.99 for Spotify in the UK, by the looks of it. I imagine Prime Music Unlimited has more to offer as far as options like 3D music goes. Spotify got a very big library of artists and songs though.

£9.99 for Spotify in the UK, by the looks of it. I imagine Prime Music Unlimited has more to offer as far as options like 3D music goes. Spotify got a very big library of artists and songs though.

Technically because you have to pay for Prime subscription first then Prime Music Unlimited you end up paying £7.99 + £8.99, because you get so much with the initial Prime subscription I often forget about that payment lol
    Ah, I see. What does the "regular" Prime subscription include?

It includes free moves and TV on Prime Video a rotation of music on Prime Music (which is in itself a large catelog) and saves you a lot of money on post when buying from Amazon. I do buy a lot from Amazon so it's worth it for me.

Been looking at Dolby Atmos speakers for my PC want to upgrade my Creative Speakers. Looking specifically for something compact.

It includes free moves and TV on Prime Video a rotation of music on Prime Music (which is in itself a large catelog) and saves you a lot of money on post when buying from Amazon. I do buy a lot from Amazon so it's worth it for me.

Been looking at Dolby Atmos speakers for my PC want to upgrade my Creative Speakers. Looking specifically for something compact.

With that much included, the price doesn't seem that bad really.

Andrew Robinson has a lot of speaker reviews on his Youtube channel. Maybe you'll find a review of some compact desk/PC speakers there? Here's a pair he reviewed some years ago:

edited September 2022 Posts: 23,271

Andrew Robinson has a lot of speaker reviews on his Youtube channel. Maybe you'll find a review of some compact desk/PC speakers there? Here's a pair he reviewed some years ago:

Cheers I have subscribed I will have a good look at his reviews tomorrow on my day off.

Cheers I have subscribed I will have a good look at his reviews tomorrow on my day off.

He reviews a lot of products, and the videos themselves are good enough that I can watch them without being on the lookout for a new product. He also manages to balance reviews of more high end products and the more affordable products.

He reviews a lot of products, and the videos themselves are good enough that I can watch them without being on the lookout for a new product. He also manages to balance reviews of more high end products and the more affordable products.

I have quite a view tech channels on my YouTube feed, i like seeing what gadgets are out there and have occasionally bought an item I saw reviewed. I have may too much tech :))
    It's very easy to fall for the temptation to buy new tech! There are a few items I've looked at for quite some time, but I've decided to skip getting stuff I really don't need.
    I'm unhealthily obsessed with tech... I'm making a short film for a work thing in the next couple of months, and of course I'll be needing a big new iPad Pro to accomplish that task... or maybe a whole Macbook Pro...
    I'm unhealthily obsessed with tech... I'm making a short film for a work thing in the next couple of months, and of course I'll be needing a big new iPad Pro to accomplish that task... or maybe a whole Macbook Pro...

You work in film production @NickTwentyTwo?

I use the most recent Macbook Pro at work, and I'm really happy with it. Certainly and upgrade to my 2013 Macbook Pro, which I'm typing on right now. The 2013 one still works fine, though the most heavy tasks are better left to the 2021 one.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Nope, I'm an accountant at the moment lol (can confirm that most accountants are lovely people).

Just planning something fun for an office meeting.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 17,272
    Nope, I'm an accountant at the moment lol (can confirm that most accountants are lovely people).

Ah! I hope you have fun making that little something – and coming from a fellow "tech geek", you of course need both an iPad and a Macbook! :D
  • Nope, I'm an accountant at the moment lol (can confirm that most accountants are lovely people).

The Accountants seem to be running MI6 these days! [whatever happened to the quote conversation thread?!]
    I was struggling to find new earpads for my Bluedio UFO headphones, then I thought I would remove the earpads from my HyperX Clouds and they fit great on my Bluedios thankfully, so I ordered some more HyperX ear pads.

My Bluedio's ! have had several years now, such a great pair of 3D wireless headphones they appear to be out of production now. Very happy I can still get some life out of them they cost me around £150, the ear pads that were on the set were completely falling apart.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 17,272
    How much did you end up paying for new ear pads @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

£14.99 they arrived today and were better than the original HyperX earpads, better quality foam etc.

£14.99 they arrived today and were better than the original HyperX earpads, better quality foam etc.

That's more or less the same price I paid for my Sennheiser replacement ear pads. It's a small price to pay for keeping good, functioning headsets for many more years!

That's more or less the same price I paid for my Sennheiser replacement ear pads. It's a small price to pay for keeping good, functioning headsets for many more years!

Agreed, I got to the point I was looking for replacement headphones begrudgingly as the wireless ones I have are still in great condition despite extremely worn earpads. so in a way saved myself money. Putting the earpads on was a bit of a chore lol

Agreed, I got to the point I was looking for replacement headphones begrudgingly as the wireless ones I have are still in great condition despite extremely worn earpads. so in a way saved myself money. Putting the earpads on was a bit of a chore lol

Tell me about it! I probably used half an hour to get mine mounted correctly. Every time I had a part of the ear pad mounted, it popped out again once I had another part in place. :))

Tell me about it! I probably used half an hour to get mine mounted correctly. Every time I had a part of the ear pad mounted, it popped out again once I had another part in place. :))

I had to resort to watching a YouTube video which ended up being bad advice :)) think it took me about half an hour also to figure it out on the HyperX. The Bluedio was much easier as a bracket thing detaches that clamps onto the head set.

I had to resort to watching a YouTube video which ended up being bad advice :)) think it took me about half an hour also to figure it out on the HyperX. The Bluedio was much easier as a bracket thing detaches that clamps onto the head set.

A bracket solution sounds much more user friendly! My headphone ear pads were mounted with a rubber band of sorts, fastened around the edge. Unnecessarily complicated, but it seems to work.