How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,271
    I expected that to be the case. The Bond scores are a mixed bag content wise as well, with some missing a lot of the shorter tracks and cues. There's one from FYEO I really like which is not on the soundtrack album. I really hope they make an extended play of that score one day.

Sennheiser make really good headphones. I only have one pair of headphones myself, and those are Sennheisers (I've probably mentioned them before in this thread). They are not audiophile quality, but they've lasted me seven years of frequent use and still do the job. I've been considering a headset stand too. Not because I want to display my Sennheisers, but because I think they will last longer when placed on a stand, rather than just on any available table or in my backpack, like they do now.

Big special effects films are always best on TV. When watching big blockbusters, I tend to switch out the Macbook with TV, but my TV is 14 or 15 years now and I'm looking to replace it at some point – either with a new TV or even a projector of some sort. Don't know yet how much money I want to spend on a TV or monitor though. The Frame from Samsung is one of the TV's I'm considering.

That video was enough to make me curious about SUPER X-FI – especially as an alternative to a surround speaker setup, which I don't have space for anyway.

Yeah there are still a few of the expanded scores I need to get though a few of them are quite expensive.

I have toyed with the idea of purchasing Sennheiser DAC/AMPS prior to getting the one i ended up buying. Sennheiser tend to have great reviews on there products. The Stealth stands cost me about £8 each though you can get them cheaper online. I will likely buy another stand tomorrow as just put my Skull Candy headphones on the one I bought today, the Skull Candy headphones were on a hook previously on the wall.

SUPER X-FI is a good alternative and cheaper if you get a DAC with it apposed to a whole sound system, plus on the DAC I have you have the customization and the option to switch to surround sound.

My 4K TV is one of the earlier ones when HDR first was introduced it was quite expensive at the time, the price of TV's has dropped considerably. If you shop around you can find good spec's at a reasonable price.

Wow I am watching NTTD on my PC using Scout Mode the way this technology identifies sound location and distance is impressive. the sound design for NTTD is superb it really showcases film making at its best.

Yes, that's usually the case with expanded scores. I only have one myself – and it's not Bond, but the Bullitt score – which is a 2 CD release with the original movie score as heard in the film, and a rerecording done by Lalo Schifrin around the same time for a general release of the soundtrack. I was fortunate enough to find the soundtrack on sale.

I've also looked at other Sennheiser products, such as amps, but those have usually been a bit out of my price range. There are always other options from other manufacturers in lower price ranges though.

Yes, that's my thinking about SUPER X-FI: it's more affordable and there's no need to connect several components. I've had surround sound components before, and it's been such a hassle, with wires, placement in the room etc. In the end I found it better to just sell everything.

TV prices are considerably more affordable now. A 43 inch The Frame is cheaper new than what my old TV cost at the time. I doubt I'll go bigger than 43 inches though. I've even considered the 32 inch TV, but ideally I'd want something between 32 and 43 inches – such as a 36 inch screen. There's no 36 inch option in The Frame range though.

Have you tried watching any of the older films in the same mode? Obviously you're likely to get get more out of the new films sound wise, but it's interesting if there's a noticeable difference with the older films as well.
    The scene in NTTD when the Aston Martin was being shot to pieces, listening in Scout Mode it felt like I was been shot at with a hail of Bullets, it was insane.

After NTTD I watched the pre title sequence to SP which was amazing. Then TND the gun barrel theme sounded great though not Dolby Atmos from streamed source so a step below the two latter DC films.

I listened to FRWL pre title it was good certainly an improvement from before I had the Amp. I changed the settings on each film and every sound mode offers quite a unique experience.

Bullitt I listen to often I have a few other Albums by Lalo in UHD which sound incredible. I did not know there was an expanded edition, I will have to get that.

La-La Land Records did a few PB Bond scores expanded editions that I want though I was not prepared to pay the price they were asking.

Nice! Imagine you'll need to make some adjustments to the settings to get the most out of each film. Much like the Blu-ray and 4K treatments have made the older films look better than ever before, improving the sound experience can make a world of difference too.

The Bullitt soundtrack with the original movie score was released by Film Score Monthly back in 2009. I think it was a limited release, but it looks to still be available on the webshop of Screen Archive Entertainment.

Those La-La Land Records releases weren't cheap, that's for sure. At the time of release I had a lot of other things to prioritise, but if they were released today, I might have considered buying them – at least TWINE, which is probably my favourite of the Brosnan era.

Just testing my new Headphones now, the UHD tracks I have sound incredible and using the software really enhances the listening experience. Alas the headphones are exposing some of the standard definition recordings more lol

007 and Ipcress File themes which I have in UHD just purr, those tracks really showcases how good the headphones are and leads to the realization you need all your music in UHD to really appreciate the headphones. lol

That's unfortunately the drawback with better equipment – you'll get more of the details in the recordings, or lack thereof!

The Ipcress File score is one of my personal favourite. I imagine it sounds magnificent. I must get my hands on some UHD recordings somehow.

To be fair the HD tracks sound great also.

John Barry's music lends to high quality sound that's for sure. Listening to Daft Punk Tron Legacy score at the moment, sounds bloody amazing.

when i get chance i will test CD's through my external disk drive on PC and see what they sound like.

Edited: Just put Led Zepplin remastered CD on, Stair Way to Heaven sounds incredible through the Amp. This may get me listening to CD's again. Tomorrow I will sort through all my CD's.

I have reached the conclusion SXFI is not the best option for music, SFXI suits gaming, YouTube etc and some films.
    I've never listened to it, but I've heard only positive reviews of the Tron: Legacy score. The film, not so much :))

I don't listen much to CDs these days, as my CD setup and collection is boxed up at the moment. Once I have a better storage solution in place, I will make an effort to give the CD collection more playing time. The quality of CD releases are top notch, no doubt, and it's almost a shame it's not a popular format anymore. On the flip side it means cheaper CDs for those of us that still buy physical releases.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I've never listened to it, but I've heard only positive reviews of the Tron: Legacy score. The film, not so much :))

I don't listen much to CDs these days, as my CD setup and collection is boxed up at the moment. Once I have a better storage solution in place, I will make an effort to give the CD collection more playing time. The quality of CD releases are top notch, no doubt, and it's almost a shame it's not a popular format anymore. On the flip side it means cheaper CDs for those of us that still buy physical releases.

The film Tron Legacy starts well though falls apart in tge second act, brilliant score though.

I put TND CD on it was better than my digital copy. Streaming really has taken us well me backwards, the real quality is in physical copies. The best music system I had was probably one I owned when I was eleven and gone down hill ever since 😂

I still buy the odd CD from charity shops though I will make more of an effort now I have something good to play them on again. Streaming music made me complacent.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,272

The film Tron Legacy starts well though falls apart in tge second act, brilliant score though.

I put TND CD on it was better than my digital copy. Streaming really has taken us well me backwards, the real quality is in physical copies. The best music system I had was probably one I owned when I was eleven and gone down hill ever since 😂

I still buy the odd CD from charity shops though I will make more of an effort now I have something good to play them on again. Streaming music made me complacent.

Yep, that more or less sums up what I've heard about the film.

I think a lot of audiophiles will agree with this. There will always be drawbacks with streaming. It's not that noticeable when it's your primary way of listening to music, but when you start comparing a release on Spotify for example, and a physical CD release of the same song/album, that's when you can hear the difference. That being said, there are obviously a lot of variation in streaming quality as well; I can't speak for high quality streaming, as I've yet to explore any options in that category. For everyday use though, regular Spotify streaming is good enough for me.

I haven't bought many CDs these last few years, but I have a list of releases I want to get. I try to keep an eye on good deals though, and rarely buy releases at full price anymore.

I think a lot of audiophiles will agree with this. There will always be drawbacks with streaming. It's not that noticeable when it's your primary way of listening to music, but when you start comparing a release on Spotify for example, and a physical CD release of the same song/album, that's when you can hear the difference. That being said, there are obviously a lot of variation in streaming quality as well; I can't speak for high quality streaming, as I've yet to explore any options in that category. For everyday use though, regular Spotify streaming is good enough for me.

I haven't bought many CDs these last few years, but I have a list of releases I want to get. I try to keep an eye on good deals though, and rarely buy releases at full price anymore.

On Amazon Unlimited three is a lot of UHD and 3D content, the 3D content is slowly increasing I only benefit from 3D through my Echo Studio Speakers that have Dolby Atmos (I have not tried 3D with new Amp yet 🤔).

When my free trial to unlimited ends in October it's unlikely I will continue. So will just get the basic Amazon Music again which is OK, I have bought alot of Albums from Amazon so always got plenty to stream. I got three CD racks out of storage earlier, it will be interesting listening to them again.

On Amazon Unlimited three is a lot of UHD and 3D content, the 3D content is slowly increasing I only benefit from 3D through my Echo Studio Speakers that have Dolby Atmos (I have not tried 3D with new Amp yet 🤔).

When my free trial to unlimited ends in October it's unlikely I will continue. So will just get the basic Amazon Music again which is OK, I have bought alot of Albums from Amazon so always got plenty to stream. I got three CD racks out of storage earlier, it will be interesting listening to them again.

I really which more of these services were available here as well. Both Amazon and Apple have a long way to go as far as availability of both music and movies.

What do you pay for the Amazon Unlimited service? I only have Spotify Premium which is expensive enough, but I use it all the time so the price is worth it.

I look forward to get my CD collection a listen again as well. There are some great (and some not so great) albums in that collection.

I really which more of these services were available here as well. Both Amazon and Apple have a long way to go as far as availability of both music and movies.

What do you pay for the Amazon Unlimited service? I only have Spotify Premium which is expensive enough, but I use it all the time so the price is worth it.

I look forward to get my CD collection a listen again as well. There are some great (and some not so great) albums in that collection.

Amazon Music Unlimited is £8.99 a month or £89.99 a year currently. I already pay £7.99 a month for Prime and because I pay for other services there is no way I will pay for extra Amazon. I always look out for deal's and free trial across all services. I listen to Spotify a lot mainly Podcast's though never paid for the full service.

I need to sort my shelf's out near my PC so i can put all my CD's in arms reach lol
    £8.99 in isolation isn't a bad price really, but when you begin to add up other services, it becomes an unnecessary expense, I guess. I've cancelled every subscription I don't need anymore, and those extra few pounds each month (or kroner in my case) really makes a difference.

Haha! That's actually why I'm looking for an ideal storage solution for my CDs. Not that I need them within arms reach, but I want an easy access, organised storage solution which also hides the collection as I don't need them on display.

I've been looking into the customisable storage solutions by Tylko, but they are not cheap. Might be worth the expense though.
    £8.99 in isolation isn't a bad price really, but when you begin to add up other services, it becomes an unnecessary expense, I guess. I've cancelled every subscription I don't need anymore, and those extra few pounds each month (or kroner in my case) really makes a difference.

Haha! That's actually why I'm looking for an ideal storage solution for my CDs. Not that I need them within arms reach, but I want an easy access, organised storage solution which also hides the collection as I don't need them on display.

I've been looking into the customisable storage solutions by Tylko, but they are not cheap. Might be worth the expense though.

Just checked the link there are some cool shelves, I need something for my CD's that is narrow i depth as space in my Movie room is not great.

Just checked the link there are some cool shelves, I need something for my CD's that is narrow i depth as space in my Movie room is not great.

The great thing about these storage solutions is how customisable they are. I've really struggled finding storage solutions that are smart and also look good. It's usually one or the other. There's always the option of having custom built storage solutions, but that will be even more expensive than these Tylko solutions.

Ikea hacks is an option too, of course.

The great thing about these storage solutions is how customisable they are. I've really struggled finding storage solutions that are smart and also look good. It's usually one or the other. There's always the option of having custom built storage solutions, but that will be even more expensive than these Tylko solutions.

All my shelves are black very 90's looking around my Movie room every thing is black lol even half of my movie poster picture frames. I hjave no wall mounted solutions though which really would be good in this room.

All my shelves are black very 90's looking around my Movie room every thing is black lol even half of my movie poster picture frames. I hjave no wall mounted solutions though which really would be good in this room.

Although black furniture can look very good, I've purposely stayed away from black furniture at my place, as white or lighter colours make my rooms look more open and spacious. There are a lot of good wall mounted solutions out there; I see a lot of people favour the String Furniture solutions which are very customisable. Others have opted for the Vitsœ 606 Universal Shelving System. Both of these solutions are great, but out of my price range.

I really love modular furniture though. At work we have several Muuto Stacked shelves, and I am considering a Stacked configuration for one of my rooms. I already own a few Panton Wire shelves, which are really great. These two systems are also expensive, and I've only picked up single Panton Wire shelves when I've had money to spare. That's the cool thing about these systems; you can build them over time, adding one and one shelf if you like. With the String and Vitsœ systems, you're looking at quite the expense just to get started.

A side note: the Panton Wire system was designed by Werner Panton, who's work has featured in several Bond films. His Pantonova modular sofa which shares the style of the Panton Wire shelves, was Karl Stromberg's seating of choice in TSWLM.

vi029-Pantonova-chairs-Atlantis-Stromberg-layout-chair-system-TSWLM.jpg

Although black furniture can look very good, I've purposely stayed away from black furniture at my place, as white or lighter colours make my rooms look more open and spacious. There are a lot of good wall mounted solutions out there; I see a lot of people favour the String Furniture solutions which are very customisable. Others have opted for the Vitsœ 606 Universal Shelving System. Both of these solutions are great, but out of my price range.

I really love modular furniture though. At work we have several Muuto Stacked shelves, and I am considering a Stacked configuration for one of my rooms. I already own a few Panton Wire shelves, which are really great. These two systems are also expensive, and I've only picked up single Panton Wire shelves when I've had money to spare. That's the cool thing about these systems; you can build them over time, adding one and one shelf if you like. With the String and Vitsœ systems, you're looking at quite the expense just to get started.

A side note: the Panton Wire system was designed by Werner Panton, who's work has featured in several Bond films. His Pantonova modular sofa which shares the style of the Panton Wire shelves, was Karl Stromberg's seating of choice in TSWLM.

I like the look of those shelving systems I watched the Vitsoe video, I could really do with something like that to maximize space, my movie room is incredibly cluttered.

Makes sense with the lighter colored furniture, it would certainly make my room look bigger. Problem is all my stuff is black I am not very imaginative lol

I like the look of those shelving systems I watched the Vitsoe video, I could really do with something like that to maximize space, my movie room is incredibly cluttered.

Makes sense with the lighter colored furniture, it would certainly make my room look bigger. Problem is all my stuff is black I am not very imaginative lol

The Vitsœ shelving system can carry quite a bit of weight too, I believe, which is a big plus.

At least you're sticking with a palette! The Panton Wire shelving system also come in black, but I don't think any of the other systems I mentioned do.

The Vitsœ shelving system can carry quite a bit of weight too, I believe, which is a big plus.

At least you're sticking with a palette! The Panton Wire shelving system also come in black, but I don't think any of the other systems I mentioned do.

I need to sort out a spare room it it just full of junk, going to attempt to be ruthless. Once cleared I would envisage shelve around the all the walls, it would free up space if I put all my disk media in there, certainly a consideration. i will definitely look at options.

I need to sort out a spare room it it just full of junk, going to attempt to be ruthless. Once cleared I would envisage shelve around the all the walls, it would free up space if I put all my disk media in there, certainly a consideration. i will definitely look at options.

There's usually that one room that just becomes a dumping ground for all the stuff we don't use. I had a clear out of my belongings a couple of years ago, but it's time to do it again I think. I'm thinking of turning one of my rooms to a media storage room/library. It's not that big, but it could become a great place to store all the stuff I don't need on display in my living room. Right now I have so much boxed up.

There's usually that one room that just becomes a dumping ground for all the stuff we don't use. I had a clear out of my belongings a couple of years ago, but it's time to do it again I think. I'm thinking of turning one of my rooms to a media storage room/library. It's not that big, but it could become a great place to store all the stuff I don't need on display in my living room. Right now I have so much boxed up.

Yeah its full of old consoles and records and books and empty boxes :)) and god knows what else. I need to be ruthless and clear the lot. I have a bad habit of holding onto boxes for electrical items like I am going to need them someday.

Yeah its full of old consoles and records and books and empty boxes :)) and god knows what else. I need to be ruthless and clear the lot. I have a bad habit of holding onto boxes for electrical items like I am going to need them someday.

Don't we all! Stuff like that was part of my last clear out. I thought I'd got rid of all of most of it last time around, then I found some more…
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Similarly I have a ton of this kind of old stuff built up in my place; electronics boxes, consoles, etc. I have a basket that has all my old gameboy/handheld gaming stuff, and it’s my favourite collection of stuff I have I think; I look back very fondly on my handheld gaming days for some reason. I too need to become a bit ruthless and get rid of some stuff but it would be hard to get rid of any of that I think.
    Similarly I have a ton of this kind of old stuff built up in my place; electronics boxes, consoles, etc. I have a basket that has all my old gameboy/handheld gaming stuff, and it’s my favourite collection of stuff I have I think; I look back very fondly on my handheld gaming days for some reason. I too need to become a bit ruthless and get rid of some stuff but it would be hard to get rid of any of that I think.

I have a collection of both non-handheld and handheld games and consoles as well, @NickTwentyTwo, including the Nintendo 64, Playstation 1 and 3, Nintendo Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and a PlayStation Portable (PSP). The thought of selling it all has crossed my mind many times, since I haven't played the majority of those games for well over a decade. On the other hand I had so much fun playing those consoles back then, and I don't think I can bring myself to put it up for sale. For now, I've only made sure to store everything as properly as possible, with the intention of reassessing in a few years.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nice! I’m basically exactly in the same boat… Can’t see parting with it but it does seem a little unreasonable to keep it around forever. I remember we were once talking about how we both used PSPs as our primary music devices a long time ago in this thread… I don’t have mine anymore but what a brilliant device. Way ahead of it’s time I think.
    @NickTwentyTwo I would definitely keep hold of the consoles especially the handheld ones. I regret getting rid of mine over the years.

Don't we all! Stuff like that was part of my last clear out. I thought I'd got rid of all of most of it last time around, then I found some more…

I have a so called clear out every year though never seem to clear much or new stuff appears from nowhere :))
    Nice! I’m basically exactly in the same boat… Can’t see parting with it but it does seem a little unreasonable to keep it around forever. I remember we were once talking about how we both used PSPs as our primary music devices a long time ago in this thread… I don’t have mine anymore but what a brilliant device. Way ahead of it’s time I think.

The PSP was an odd but interesting one for me. I don't think I used it enough, even though it was a handheld media console as much as a gaming console. Looking back, it was probably a better device than I thought at the time.

And I agree, hanging on to collections of stuff we've collected through the years might be unreasonable. But I guess as long as those things still brings joy, it's worth keeping. When it becomes a problem more than anything else, then it might be time to do a clear out!

I have a so called clear out every year though never seem to clear much or new stuff appears from nowhere :))

Several years ago I read that when you bring one new item into your home, you should get rid of another. There might be something to that.

The PSP was an odd but interesting one for me. I don't think I used it enough, even though it was a handheld media console as much as a gaming console. Looking back, it was probably a better device than I thought at the time.

And I agree, hanging on to collections of stuff we've collected through the years might be unreasonable. But I guess as long as those things still brings joy, it's worth keeping. When it becomes a problem more than anything else, then it might be time to do a clear out!

Several years ago I read that when you bring one new item into your home, you should get rid of another. There might be something to that.

Sound logic, i have 3 weeks off now so time to sort out my music and clutter.

Been looking for new ear pads for my Bluedio Headphones as they are torn slightly, I have only recently realized they can be removed. I will look for some good quality ones.

Been looking for new ear pads for my Bluedio Headphones as they are torn slightly, I have only recently realized they can be removed. I will look for some good quality ones.

I did a mini clear out a week ago. Just a couple of small boxes, but it's better than having to do a big clear out later.

I changed the pads on my Sennheiser headphones last year, as one of the old ones had got loose. Buying new pads was super cheap (not original Sennheiser ones though), but they were a bit finicky to mount onto the headphones. Might buy a second pair in case the same happens again, and in case there are no similar pads available for my model.

I did a mini clear out a week ago. Just a couple of small boxes, but it's better than having to do a big clear out later.

I changed the pads on my Sennheiser headphones last year, as one of the old ones had got loose. Buying new pads was super cheap (not original Sennheiser ones though), but they were a bit finicky to mount onto the headphones. Might buy a second pair in case the same happens again, and in case there are no similar pads available for my model.

I have looked at various pads of differing prices, what i will do before purchasing is watch some reviews on YouTube to see which material is best. My Bluedio's have a silver accent and a blue light when on so may go for something other than plain black ear pads.

Tomorrow i will totally empty one room and try to be ruthless with empty boxes as I have way to many lol

I have looked at various pads of differing prices, what i will do before purchasing is watch some reviews on YouTube to see which material is best. My Bluedio's have a silver accent and a blue light when on so may go for something other than plain black ear pads.

Tomorrow i will totally empty one room and try to be ruthless with empty boxes as I have way to many lol

Having a look at reviews is always smart – especially if you go for more pricy pads. The ones I got for my Sennheisers are nothing special, but very similar to the original ones. Maybe a bit softer – which may or may not be a good thing.

I really struggle with clear outs, and being ruthless is the only way I can get it done. I never regret it though!

Having a look at reviews is always smart – especially if you go for more pricy pads. The ones I got for my Sennheisers are nothing special, but very similar to the original ones. Maybe a bit softer – which may or may not be a good thing.

I really struggle with clear outs, and being ruthless is the only way I can get it done. I never regret it though!

I could not find many pads specific to the make of my headphones though it appears there are specific size ranges that fit various models, I will measure them to make sure.

I could not find many pads specific to the make of my headphones though it appears there are specific size ranges that fit various models, I will measure them to make sure.

This is very likely. I found my replacements searching for my specific model, but I'm sure they will work with other models/brands of headphones as well.

This is very likely. I found my replacements searching for my specific model, but I'm sure they will work with other models/brands of headphones as well.

Ended up going cycling along the coast before the footy the weather was too good, though still got weeks off to sort clear out and Ear Pads. Online is cheaper and endless variety though i really wish high street shops existed where i could try the Ear Pads out. Though amazon do a decent sale and return on certain items, though its still a pain sending stuff back.