Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,318
    It's also funny that's always Shaft (or Blade, or now Black Panther), illustrating that there are literally three black characters they allow to enter their minds, against the trillions of white characters.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I just repeated your point lol

You clearly don't want to comprehend anything, do you? People like yourself disgust me, gaslighting again as a tool. You read what you want to read, twisting words. Are you black yourself, potentially with a inferiority complex? Not necessary mate, you're just as good as everyone else on the planet, just as equal. If calling you out on being an ignorant tit is racist then that's that.

Also, Bond is white like Shaft is black. Your agendas to blackwash Bond is as idiotic as making an intrinsically black character white.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    He's a racist, and should be ignored. Apologies, but if you're bringing his skin colour into the issue in this way, "A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with", that's what it is. People can make every excuse they want to for their "white is right" attitude when it comes to Bond, but it's all a thin veil.

It's the same as people who are upset about The Little Mermaid casting because of "the historical accuracy of mermaids".

*Ding ding ding* we have a winner! "hE'S a RaCiSt!!" Surely that must be it!? People like yourself is what's wrong with the mentality these days. Can't get your way, let's call random people racist for bs reasons. What I said are quotes, from documentaries, regarding Connery in THOSE days. Tell me you haven't heard about the saying 'men want(ed) to be him women want(ed) to be with him'? Also, Bond IS a white character, with dark hair around the 6' mark, a tall man, especially in those days. Nothing wrong with that. The day they will turn Shaft into a white man I'll react the same way. So no buddy, not a racist. Just stop.

Last but not least, Little Mermaid!? We are on a Bond forum.

Ding ding ding. Can't get your way, call every random thing "woke".

Are you serious? You honestly don't see the woke elements trickled down in NTTD? You're having a laugh?

Look around you mate. If I was the black ignorant tit gaslighting everyone and calling them all racist, I think it would be me everyone was coming down on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He's a racist, and should be ignored. Apologies, but if you're bringing his skin colour into the issue in this way, "A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with", that's what it is. People can make every excuse they want to for their "white is right" attitude when it comes to Bond, but it's all a thin veil.

It's the same as people who are upset about The Little Mermaid casting because of "the historical accuracy of mermaids".

*Ding ding ding* we have a winner! "hE'S a RaCiSt!!" Surely that must be it!? People like yourself is what's wrong with the mentality these days. Can't get your way, let's call random people racist for bs reasons. What I said are quotes, from documentaries, regarding Connery in THOSE days. Tell me you haven't heard about the saying 'men want(ed) to be him women want(ed) to be with him'? Also, Bond IS a white character, with dark hair around the 6' mark, a tall man, especially in those days. Nothing wrong with that. The day they will turn Shaft into a white man I'll react the same way. So no buddy, not a racist. Just stop.

Are you serious? You honestly don't see the woke elements trickled down in NTTD? You're having a laugh?

“Woke” is a term mostly misused by people willing to abandon empathy where it bumps into the comfort of their own personal social construct.

Look around you mate. If I was the black ignorant tit gaslighting everyone and calling them all racist, I think it would be me everyone was coming down on.

And there we go again, the idiot calling a member a racist for reading words how he wants to read them. Stop denying and stop gaslighting.

@mtm
    Teaming up again with your likeminded creepy friends again? All good, Thankfully I know you're far beyond saving.
    Well, I think this discussion has run its course.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,861
    It's also funny that's always Shaft (or Blade, or now Black Panther), illustrating that there are literally three black characters they allow to enter their minds, against the trillions of white characters.

You clearly don't want to comprehend anything, do you? People like yourself disgust me, gaslighting again as a tool. You read what you want to read, twisting words. Are you black yourself, potentially with a inferiority complex? Not necessary mate, you're just as good as everyone else on the planet, just as equal. If calling you out on being an ignorant tit is racist then that's that.

Also, Bond is white like Shaft is black. Your agendas to blackwash Bond is as idiotic as making an intrinsically black character white.

@DarthDimi is this acceptable? Why do we have to put up with this?
    mtm wrote: »

@DarthDimi is this acceptable? Why do we have to put up with this?

Haha and here we go again. Typical narc gaslighter whose main job here is to wreak havoc and then play the victim again. Time and time again. Who's we anyway? How about stop manipulating, it is your MO it seems.

@NickTwentyTwo

Perhaps don't call people racist for no reason. Buy some glasses, read what it says and stop twisting words. Clearly you're depressed about Little Mermaid or whatever the deal is and project that onto others.
    Hey man, we have to pay the bills and "MI6Community Havoc Wreaker" pays more than you'd think.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, fellas, let us please give it a rest for now. The mod team will have a few private chats, but this thread must come back on track.
    Okay, fellas, let us please give it a rest for now. The mod team will have a few private chats, but this thread must come back on track.

Clearly there is a very very strong division between two/multiple "groups" on here. That much is clear. It's probably better for each group to go their own way, until the next Bond has a name. However I won't back down from bullying. Just want that to be clear.

That's me done regarding this subject.
    There is no salve for this thread quite like a photo of the man who should be Bond:
    e7f1830149d0bdbe6090885cb2051e51.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There is no salve for this thread quite like a photo of the man who should be Bond:

I wish he was 8-10 years younger and got the job. I'd be elated. What a stud.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 12,837
    Bond = Bond in Fleming's vision to me.

Not a fan of Sean Connery then? Fleming didn’t want him, his vision was for a toff like David Niven to do it, and while there’s the old fan myth about him warming to him in the part and making Bond Scottish as a tribute, there’s no evidence of that. He was already researching his own Scottish ancestry and the only quote on the films from him describes Dr No as “dreadful”. I’m sure he was happy with the money but the impression I get is that Fleming, despite his self deprication, took his books a lot more seriously than the film makers who emphasised the tongue in cheek stuff and made it a mega hit did.

The films have always done their own thing, that’s why that’s why they’re still going. I like the books but I think keeping it successful and relevant to modern audiences is a much more important goal for “Babs” than honouring the vision of a man who died fifty odd years ago. And her dad clearly never cared that much about that vision either, so it’s nothing new.

Yeah, no. Trying to rewrite history isn't very nice. Fleming loved Sean after watching FRWL and after that they got along fine, indeed also "changing" Bond's heritage into part Scottish. These are commonly known facts and been documented time and time again. Thanks to Cubby and probably even more his wife we got Sean. A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with. Don't even start about Cubby Broccoli as he had a very strong vision regarding Bond and cared about every little detail. Do you even know anything about Bond at all?

Stop pushing your false and defamatory agenda. Thanks.

Have they been documented though? Fleming called Dr No dreadful, that’s documented. Fleming didn’t want Sean Connery, that’s documented. Fleming was researching his own Scottish ancestry before making Bond Scottish, that’s documented. Fleming loving Sean after watching FRWL, and making Bond Scottish as a tribute to him? Happy to be proven wrong, maybe a Fleming historian like @Revelator could help us out, but I can’t find any source for that, it’s just one of those things that’s been parroted a lot on fansites over the years. I know he visited the set and enjoyed the money but that’s not really proof of anything. Who knows, if he’d been born in a less racist and more multi cultural time period and the films were just as successful, then maybe he’d have put up with a black or asian guy in the role, in the same way he did the lorry driving bodybuilder.

Also ironic that you’re going on about bullying when you’re literally the only person on here who makes comments like the one in bold. You’re the source of most arguments in this thread in fact, the rest of us seem to manage to get on and stay civil even when we disagree. Probably wasting my breath but it might be worth thinking about why that is. And it might be worth actually finding a black friend (scary I know, but we’re friendly, promise!) in real life who you can use as a sounding board to check how definitely not racist you are, because your comments have made it very obvious you don’t have any.

EDIT: Forgot to say, on Cubby, he tried to cast James Brolin who kept his American accent for the screentest (you can watch it on Youtube if you like). Bond sounding British seems like a pretty important detail to me. He was a great producer but like all of them, he was capable of making mistakes, and he never stuck religiously to the source material.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I wish he was 8-10 years younger and got the job. I'd be elated. What a stud.

I know… I used to say he was too old (and he definitely is lol) but once when I said that, another member said they’d be fine with him even at his current age, so now that’s my line as well. :))
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 2,887
    Have they been documented though? Fleming called Dr No dreadful, that’s documented. Fleming didn’t want Sean Connery, that’s documented. Fleming was researching his own Scottish ancestry before making Bond Scottish, that’s documented. Fleming loving Sean after watching FRWL, and making Bond Scottish as a tribute to him? Happy to be proven wrong, maybe a Fleming historian like @Revelator could help us out

Your wish is my command! Before proceeding any further, a note: Despite being an amateur Fleming scholar, I think the producers need to keep up with the times, because they're making movies for a 21st century audience. Bond's core attributes--as set out by Fleming and carried into the movies--are his Britishness, masculinity, elegance, and toughness. And the 21st century version of Britishness is no longer exclusively white. So if you can find an actor who fits those attributes, he's Bond material. And Fleming was open to casting actors who didn't fit his exact conception of his Bond, as in the case of Connery.

As a matter of fact, Fleming accepted Connery even before FRWL. He was praising Connery before Dr. No opened, as documented in the Fleming interviews thread:

“Cary Grant, David Niven and James Mason wanted to play James Bond. But I said why spend millions of pounds on one of these characters, why not create our own Cary Grant? We made a nationwide search and hit on Sean Connery, a young Shakespearean actor who weightlifts for Scotland and is a very solid fellow." (North American Newspaper Alliance, Feb. 18, 1962)

“Physically he’s a very good example of James Bond—except he’s got rather a strong Scottish accent. He’s very slow moving, powerfully built, six feet tall, dark hair, weight-lifts for Scotland, boxed for the Navy, and plays centre forward for the Variety Artists team at weekends—yes, I think he will be very good in the part, and if he clicks, his fortune is made." (Harper’s Bazaar, Feb. 1962)

Also, look at what Fleming wrote to his mistress Blanche Blackwell in a letter from Oct. 25, 1961: "The producer, Terence Young, seems very nice and the man they have chosen for Bond, Sean Connery, is a real charmer--fairly unknown but a good actor with the right looks and physique."

The documentary Ian Fleming: 007's Creator, included on the Blu-Ray of The Living Daylights, also shows how quickly Fleming accepted Connery when he saw Sean's effect on women.

The idea that Fleming was upset with Connery's casting is something exaggerated by the filmmakers to make themselves look good and enhanced by the usual spiteful film-land gossip.

As to whether Fleming made Bond Scottish in tribute to Connery, there is no clinching evidence either way, but what's beyond denial is that before Connery's casting, Fleming always referred to Bond as English. It's a little too coincidental that Bond suddenly began referring to himself as a Scot only after Connery was cast, starting in a book that referenced Connery's first Bond film.

Fleming was pragmatic when it came to the Bond movies. As Richard Maibaum said: "I did not speak to him about screenwriting. He didn’t seem very interested. He didn’t have script approval, but as a matter of courtesy we gave him the scripts to read. He would make minimal notes in the margin, in very tiny handwriting, that usually dealt with questions of protocol—what Bond called M in the office as opposed to what he called him at their club, things like that."

Fleming was prepared to accept Jimmy Stewart as Bond at one point, so it's clear he was open to unconventional choices, as long as the actor had real or potential appeal to the box office (and women). Connery might not have fit his exact picture as Bond, but he quickly accepted him. A lesson to be applied to future actors.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very interesting post, thank you.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, some good insights there.
    @Revelator thats awesome information, thanks very much.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 615
    It's like those folks who snarkily inject, "What would happen if somebody tried to make a Marvel movie called *White* Panther? Well? What would the SJWs say?"

Thing is, there has been a "White Panther" for 110 years now... He's called Tarzan.

CraterGuns wrote: »
    It's like those folks who snarkily inject, "What would happen if somebody tried to make a Marvel movie called *White* Panther? Well? What would the SJWs say?"

Thing is, there has been a "White Panther" for 110 years now... He's called Tarzan.

“Why isn’t there a straight pride parade?”
    Get that one one Vancouver a lot. Every parade is a straight pride parade.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Okay gents let’s leave it now. @DarthDimi requested this be dropped and we move on.
    No thoughts on my suggestion of Domhnall Gleeson? Or was it so out there that no comment can be made. :))
    Fair play. Loved Domhnall Gleeson in Ex Machina, thought he was fine in Star Wars and I'm looking forward to him in The Patient, but in all of these films, basically, he's a nerdy (sometimes angry) kid. He is an excellent actor, but not for Bond IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yes I didn't mention Gleeson as although he is brilliant, I'm not sure he's quite right for it as he's not really the 'alpha' type, and I don't want to be someone who says 'no' to every suggestion! :)
    It's always good to have interesting new suggestions though. I've certainly not seen him like that before and there's a bit of a Bondy look certainly; he might make a good period Bond. That's quite a suit too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I really didn’t think it would be a solid suggestion
    But thanks for the feedback.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 12,837
    Revelator wrote: »
    Have they been documented though? Fleming called Dr No dreadful, that’s documented. Fleming didn’t want Sean Connery, that’s documented. Fleming was researching his own Scottish ancestry before making Bond Scottish, that’s documented. Fleming loving Sean after watching FRWL, and making Bond Scottish as a tribute to him? Happy to be proven wrong, maybe a Fleming historian like @Revelator could help us out

Your wish is my command! Before proceeding any further, a note: Despite being an amateur Fleming scholar, I think the producers need to keep up with the times, because they're making movies for a 21st century audience. Bond's core attributes--as set out by Fleming and carried into the movies--are his Britishness, masculinity, elegance, and toughness. And the 21st century version of Britishness is no longer exclusively white. So if you can find an actor who fits those attributes, he's Bond material. And Fleming was open to casting actors who didn't fit his exact conception of his Bond, as in the case of Connery.

As a matter of fact, Fleming accepted Connery even before FRWL. He was praising Connery before Dr. No opened, as documented in the Fleming interviews thread:

“Cary Grant, David Niven and James Mason wanted to play James Bond. But I said why spend millions of pounds on one of these characters, why not create our own Cary Grant? We made a nationwide search and hit on Sean Connery, a young Shakespearean actor who weightlifts for Scotland and is a very solid fellow." (North American Newspaper Alliance, Feb. 18, 1962)

“Physically he’s a very good example of James Bond—except he’s got rather a strong Scottish accent. He’s very slow moving, powerfully built, six feet tall, dark hair, weight-lifts for Scotland, boxed for the Navy, and plays centre forward for the Variety Artists team at weekends—yes, I think he will be very good in the part, and if he clicks, his fortune is made." (Harper’s Bazaar, Feb. 1962)

Also, look at what Fleming wrote to his mistress Blanche Blackwell in a letter from Oct. 25, 1961: "The producer, Terence Young, seems very nice and the man they have chosen for Bond, Sean Connery, is a real charmer--fairly unknown but a good actor with the right looks and physique."

The documentary Ian Fleming: 007's Creator, included on the Blu-Ray of The Living Daylights, also shows how quickly Fleming accepted Connery when he saw Sean's effect on women.

The idea that Fleming was upset with Connery's casting is something exaggerated by the filmmakers to make themselves look good and enhanced by the usual spiteful film-land gossip.

As to whether Fleming made Bond Scottish in tribute to Connery, there is no clinching evidence either way, but what's beyond denial is that before Connery's casting, Fleming always referred to Bond as English. It's a little too coincidental that Bond suddenly began referring to himself as a Scot only after Connery was cast, starting in a book that referenced Connery's first Bond film.

Fleming was pragmatic when it came to the Bond movies. As Richard Maibaum said: "I did not speak to him about screenwriting. He didn’t seem very interested. He didn’t have script approval, but as a matter of courtesy we gave him the scripts to read. He would make minimal notes in the margin, in very tiny handwriting, that usually dealt with questions of protocol—what Bond called M in the office as opposed to what he called him at their club, things like that."

Fleming was prepared to accept Jimmy Stewart as Bond at one point, so it's clear he was open to unconventional choices, as long as the actor had real or potential appeal to the box office (and women). Connery might not have fit his exact picture as Bond, but he quickly accepted him. A lesson to be applied to future actors.

Cheers mate great post, knew you’d be able to help. So is the “dreadful” quote from the Andrew Lycett biography bollocks then, or did he just rate Connery but not the film?

Cheers mate great post, knew you’d be able to help. So is the “dreadful” quote from the Andrew Lycett biography bollocks then, or did he just rate Connery but not the film?

I always assumed Fleming's relationship with the first two Bond films was more complicated than we'd imagine. It makes sense - obviously the man himself had tried a few times to bring his creation to the screen, and when it finally happened he got a rather unconventional choice of actor for the part (one who admits that he went into the role 'making fun of it' to a certain extent), with elements of the character that perhaps didn't fully resemble his own creation. That's not to mention the changes one always gets when adapting a novel into a movie - certain ideas are toned down, other parts sensationalised etc. It makes sense Fleming might not have fully warmed to the film initially, the man was human.

I always got the sense he softened on DN, but he was genuinely impressed with Connery. I suspect it's true he was very much willing to accept unconventional actors for the role though.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 2,887

You're welcome! I'll have to try sourcing the quote, but Fleming was frequently self-deprecating about his books (which he dismissed in equally insulting ways), and I wouldn't be surprised if he was being the same way about a film made from his books, especially if he was talking to someone who looked down on Bond. I remember another quote from him about Dr. No where he says those who loved the book might be disappointed but everyone else would have a great time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I remember another quote from him about Dr. No where he says those who loved the book might be disappointed but everyone else would have a great time.

Ouch! :D
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

Netflix's Tudum 2022: Official Announcement Trailer (Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill and Jason Momoa)
    Two of those Actors are considered for the Bond role, let's see how they would fare here.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    MI6HQ wrote: »

Netflix's Tudum 2022: Official Announcement Trailer (Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill and Jason Momoa)
    Two of those Actors are considered for the Bond role, let's see how they would fare here.

After watching that I still haven't got.a clue what Tudum is