Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh look, a picture of a bully.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh look, a picture of a bully.

Takes one to know one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Man I can’t wait for some actual Bond 26 news.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    talos7 wrote: »

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,861

Yes indeed, a long way off though I think.
    Here's some news: Aidan Turner is excellent in The Suspect mini-series. I suggest you all go and watch it.

FXFntGIXgAMbkvx?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was busy watching The Capture on the other side, which was absolutely fantastic and should appeal to a lot of Bond fans I think. Maybe even a future Bond plot in there somewhere what with all the deepfakery and conspiracy?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

The other day I came across an interview with Ben Affleck where he stated that he was signed to play Batman 8 months prior to it being announced. I could see a similar situation with whomever is selected to be the next Bond.

With the various film franchises, specifically DC and Marvel and growing streaming platforms, the landscape has changed exponentially since Craig was chosen. The competition for talent will be much more fierce.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    I don t know if this guy has been mentioned?
    p4YBNS0PCF928.jpg

Cast that man. Is he available though
    Here's some news: Aidan Turner is excellent in The Suspect mini-series. I suggest you all go and watch it.

Put

Will check it out soon

The other day I came across an interview with Ben Affleck where he stated that he was signed to play Batman 8 months prior to it being announced. I could see a similar situation with whomever is selected to be the next Bond.

With the various film franchises, specifically DC and Marvel and growing streaming platforms, the landscape has changed exponentially since Craig was chosen. The competition for talent will be much more fierce.

I do wonder if there's a difference between casting Batman and Bond though. Batman seems to be played by relatively well known and established actors. From what I've read about The Batman the pool of actors considered for the role was relatively small and made up of people like Armie Hammer, Nicholas Hoult, and of course Pattinson. I get the sense for Bond the actors chosen aren't usually quite as well known, and there's often as many as 40 contenders in the early stages. It's harder to keep a lid on that for 8 months than it is with a smaller field of candidates, all of whom are very much known in the industry.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 784

I feel he's becoming more comfortable in the role as the series progresses, I wonder if they shot it chronologically. I hope he gets another shot at role like ATTWN. He is growing as an actor, and I have yet to see him act suave.

I only watch his stuff because I am a bond fan, and he generally tends to stands out from the rest of the cast. I think that's a merit. His chances depend very much on how much the producers want to reinvent the character as he his the most traditional option. Aidan isn't known at all outside the UK, but still has a sizeable fandom domestically.

Gerard Butler
    Henry Cavill
    Rupert Friend
    Daniel Goddard
    Martin Henderson
    Julian McMahon
    David Morrissey
    Alex O’Lachlan
    Ingo Rademacher
    Dougray Scott
    Christian Solimeno
    Antony Starr
    Karl Urban
    Goran Visnjic
    Dominic West
    Sam Worthington

From this list it seems the criteria was physically mature/coarse facial features/somewhat big/wide stature as well as anonymity more so than complexion or pure looks. Some of the names don't make any sense to me, but maybe they did 20 years ago when they were younger. The idea of what is attractive has shifted somewhat since then.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I can't wait for the promotional pics of Bond 7. I can only imagine how stylish and ultra-modern those would look.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've been watching the series The Patient with Steve Carell and Domhnall Gleeson.
    I'm not 100% sold and it's a bit off kilter, but maybe Gleeson has something. He's a very good actor. Not sure he has the right look, and he'd have to dye his hair. He might be a long shot candidate.
    a2u1ezmf2vnu.png

I feel he's becoming more comfortable in the role as the series progresses, I wonder if they shot it chronologically. I hope he gets another shot at role like ATTWN. He is growing as an actor, and I have yet to see him act suave.

I only watch his stuff because I am a bond fan, and he generally tends to stands out from the rest of the cast. I think that's a merit. His chances depend very much on how much the producers want to reinvent the character as he his the most traditional option. Aidan isn't known at all outside the UK, but still has a sizeable fandom domestically.

Productions hardly ever shoot in a chronological order, so I reckon that feeling stems from elsewhere. He plays a complex character, so perhaps it's the character himself, as there are quite a few layers to the plot.

Traditional or not, Bond = Bond in Fleming's vision to me. Sure, if set in present day Bond could change somewhat, but within the margins that make Bond Bond. If they would go the period route then leave him as is. That will of course never happen in Babs her time, but a man can dream.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 12,837
    Bond = Bond in Fleming's vision to me.

Not a fan of Sean Connery then? Fleming didn’t want him, his vision was for a toff like David Niven to do it, and while there’s the old fan myth about him warming to him in the part and making Bond Scottish as a tribute, there’s no evidence of that. He was already researching his own Scottish ancestry and the only quote on the films from him describes Dr No as “dreadful”. I’m sure he was happy with the money but the impression I get is that Fleming, despite his self deprication, took his books a lot more seriously than the film makers who emphasised the tongue in cheek stuff and made it a mega hit did.

The films have always done their own thing, that’s why that’s why they’re still going. I like the books but I think keeping it successful and relevant to modern audiences is a much more important goal for “Babs” than honouring the vision of a man who died fifty odd years ago. And her dad clearly never cared that much about that vision either, so it’s nothing new.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,318

Not a fan of Sean Connery then? Fleming didn’t want him, his vision was for a toff like David Niven to do it, and while there’s the old fan myth about him warming to him in the part and making Bond Scottish as a tribute, there’s no evidence of that. He was already researching his own Scottish ancestry and the only quote on the films from him describes Dr No as “dreadful”. I’m sure he was happy with the money but the impression I get is that Fleming, despite his self deprication, took his books a lot more seriously than the film makers who emphasised the tongue in cheek stuff and made it a mega hit did.

The films have always done their own thing, that’s why that’s why they’re still going. I like the books but I think keeping it successful and relevant to modern audiences is a much more important goal for “Babs” than honouring the vision of a man who died fifty odd years ago. And her dad clearly never cared that much about that vision either, so it’s nothing new.

Yeah, no. Trying to rewrite history isn't very nice. Fleming loved Sean after watching FRWL and after that they got along fine, indeed also "changing" Bond's heritage into part Scottish. These are commonly known facts and been documented time and time again. Thanks to Cubby and probably even more his wife we got Sean. A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with. Don't even start about Cubby Broccoli as he had a very strong vision regarding Bond and cared about every little detail. Do you even know anything about Bond at all?

Stop pushing your false and defamatory agenda. Thanks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yep, absolutely; I'd say that hiring Roger Moore is a sign that they were in the business of making movies rather than following books exactly to the letter! :) And nothing wrong with that either, I'm still of the opinion that Bond is an icon as much because of Broccoli(s) & Saltzman as much as it is down to Fleming.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Yeah, no. Trying to rewrite history isn't very nice. Fleming loved Sean after watching FRWL and after that they got along fine, indeed also "changing" Bond's heritage into part Scottish. These are commonly known facts and been documented time and time again. Thanks to Cubby and probably even more his wife we got Sean. A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with. Don't even start about Cubby Broccoli as he had a very strong vision regarding Bond and cared about every little detail. Do you even know anything about Bond at all?

Stop pushing your false and defamatory agenda. Thanks.

Yikes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As a producer, Cubby made some major gaffes that were as far away from Fleming as you could ever get: the hiring of John Gavin and approaching American stars of the day like Adam West, Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood; tacking on kung-fu in TMWTGG, and sending Bond into Star Wars territory in '79-- chasing superficial crazes of the day, in other words; returning to casting an American in James Brolin; being stubborn to boot in not hiring The Bearded One; ostrazing Connery...

Personally I found Cubby was best with Saltzman (not including his great first solo effort in TSWLM), and in the latter days, post Saltzman, he seemed more a gatekeeper to his sausage factory (although I love a good sausage, so I also love these films), rather than a producer of "strong vision".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it certainly seemed like Michael Wilson was the one with a vision who tried to some inject some freshness into the films in the latter half of the 80s.

Not hiring Spielberg does seem like a terrible gaffe, doesn't it? :D
    At the end of the day both Cubby and Saltzman, along with Fleming obviously would strongly oppose the whole idiotic woke movement and to change everything to appease a primadonna called Craig. He was never my type of Bond and he never will be. He had the luck of CR its script and a very competent director at the helm. Nothing remotely special about Craig.

Again, if they're worth a dime at EoN they cast Aidan Turner, write a good script like CR, get an actual good director like Campbell and make it a typical Bond mission without all the emotive bs around it. It only takes away from the power of Bond. I'll watch a shitty romcom when I choose to do so, which is never, I certainly don't want it to taint Bond. Certainly no dead Bond at the end. Preposterous, truly.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JeremyBondon , you may not like Craig, but if the other creatives, especially the distributors who have to sell the product in varying markets around the globe, felt that killing off this James Bond was preposterous, they would have stepped in at the script stage and would make clear, “we can’t sell this crap”.

IF Craig was sole possessor of the idea to kill his Bond (and I suspect not), the true big wigs had to sign off on it; they did so knowing it would create buzz and make $$. They didn’t do it to appease an actor (Universal isn’t in this business to placate the talent, they’re in it to sell and make their coffers even more full).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    At the end of the day both Cubby and Saltzman, along with Fleming obviously would strongly oppose the whole idiotic woke movement and to change everything to appease a primadonna called Craig. He was never my type of Bond and he never will be. He had the luck of CR its script and a very competent director at the helm. Nothing remotely special about Craig.

Again, if they're worth a dime at EoN they cast Aidan Turner, write a good script like CR, get an actual good director like Campbell and make it a typical Bond mission without all the emotive bs around it. It only takes away from the power of Bond. I'll watch a shitty romcom when I choose to do so, which is never, I certainly don't want it to taint Bond. Certainly no dead Bond at the end. Preposterous, truly.

Wow. You experienced the Craig era different than most of us, mate. I don't see what's "woke" about the recent Bond films or why Craig would be a primadonna. I do know, however, that accusations of "woke" come easy these days.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,518
    He's a racist, and should be ignored. Apologies, but if you're bringing his skin colour into the issue in this way, "A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with", that's what it is. People can make every excuse they want to for their "white is right" attitude when it comes to Bond, but it's all a thin veil.

It's the same as people who are upset about The Little Mermaid casting because of "the historical accuracy of mermaids".
    He's a racist, and should be ignored. Apologies, but if you're bringing his skin colour into the issue in this way, "A tall white dark haired male. The type of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with", that's what it is. People can make every excuse they want to for their "white is right" attitude when it comes to Bond, but it's all a thin veil.

It's the same as people who are upset about The Little Mermaid casting because of "the historical accuracy of mermaids".

*Ding ding ding* we have a winner! "hE'S a RaCiSt!!" Surely that must be it!? People like yourself is what's wrong with the mentality these days. Can't get your way, let's call random people racist for bs reasons. What I said are quotes, from documentaries, regarding Connery in THOSE days. Tell me you haven't heard about the saying 'men want(ed) to be him women want(ed) to be with him'? Also, Bond IS a white character, with dark hair around the 6' mark, a tall man, especially in those days. Nothing wrong with that. The day they will turn Shaft into a white man I'll react the same way. So no buddy, not a racist. Just stop.

Last but not least, Little Mermaid!? We are on a Bond forum.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,449

*Ding ding ding* we have a winner! "hE'S a RaCiSt!!" Surely that must be it!? People like yourself is what's wrong with the mentality these days. Can't get your way, let's call random people racist for bs reasons. What I said are quotes, from documentaries, regarding Connery in THOSE days. Tell me you haven't heard about the saying 'men want(ed) to be him women want(ed) to be with him'? Also, Bond IS a white character, with dark hair around the 6' mark, a tall man, especially in those days. Nothing wrong with that. The day they will turn Shaft into a white man I'll react the same way. So no buddy, not a racist. Just stop.

Ding ding ding. Can't get your way, call every random thing "woke".
    Can’t get my way? What’s my way?

I’m not calling random people racist for be reasons, I’m calling you a racist for your racism. Women want him and men want to be him, yes, of course I’ve heard that. You brought up the colour of his skin being one of the reasons.

Bond is a fictional character. He’s not real. He was written the way he was written because it made sense in the 50s. It’s not set in stone. You want him to remain white because you think white is better than black. Not because Fleming once wrote about the colour in his cheeks. It doesn’t matter.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Ding ding ding. Can't get your way, call every random thing "woke".

Are you serious? You honestly don't see the woke elements trickled down in NTTD? You're having a laugh?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funny how it’s always Shaft that comes up in these arguments, as if ‘not racists’ can’t think of any black characters, which is a bit damning of the whole situation in itself. And it never works, because Shaft was a Blaxploitation character: his race was, for better or worse, a defining characteristic in a way it isn’t for many other characters.
    The day they will turn Shaft into a white man I'll react the same way.

Did you get angry and call people names when Johnny Depp played Tonto? Liam Neeson playing Ra's al Ghul? Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan? Elizabeth Olsen playing Scarlet Witch?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,518
    It's also funny that's always Shaft (or Blade, or now Black Panther), illustrating that there are literally three black characters they allow to enter their minds, against the trillions of white characters.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I just repeated your point lol