The GEORGE LAZENBY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    And will never attend any Bond-related events.....
    "Sadly George was highly offensive in his interview. All his answers revolved around sexual conquests and often very inappropriate"

Lazenby = Langella = Burt Ward , theyre all the same.....cept Langella is actually a legit actor
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Tracy wrote: »
    "Sadly George was highly offensive in his interview. All his answers revolved around sexual conquests and often very inappropriate"

Lazenby = Langella = Burt Ward , theyre all the same.....cept Langella is actually a legit actor

Not a very nice thing to say about your hubby.
    Considering George has often been explicit in his stories, I do wonder what exactly he said this time that was so offensive? What was so different and shocking about this interview?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Considering George has often been explicit in his stories, I do wonder what exactly he said this time that was so offensive? What was so different and shocking about this interview?

He was speaking to the wrong crowd this time. What may play well in pubs with a bunch of mates doesn’t when there’s families brought in.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Dame Diana Rigg watching from heaven: "Oh, George, you've never changed, you're still the same bastard I've met decades ago. :))

Maybe it's a good thing that Connery's also dead? I mean his opinions might be worse this time? Maybe him attacking the #metoo era and maybe him defending Fukunaga, and telling the crowd "Yesh, I shee no problem in what hish doing."

At least he died with a good reputation.

He was speaking to the wrong crowd this time. What may play well in pubs with a bunch of mates doesn’t when there’s families brought in.

Good point.
  • cwl007cwl007 England

Good point, hadn't actually considered that most of us know about his past 'endevours' via edited DVD extras and pre recorded TV interviews. The difference with this is the audience got the full untethered , unpolished versions. Add that to him not reading the room and boom. What a muppet he is.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 1,639

Not a very nice thing to say about your hubby.

I know :D

We dont know these people , i mean Bruce Lee was prolly a drug dealer for goodness sake.....what "shocked" me is that Paul Wei supposedly did jail time for beating his wife once but again we dont know their private lives at all , only the image. Laz shouldve known better when there were kids there.....it has become a bit too pc these days , if youre white and play a black person then its immediately racist , that happened with Eckbo so he will no longer play that character......wouldnt be surprised if sitcom Borettslaget will never be re-run as Robert Stoltenberg plays pakistanis in it. Then you have the n word by the major in Fawlty Towers , thats prolly censored on TV today i guess ?
    Oh come on! @Tracy stop hurting your husband, you promised your father that you will obey him. 😄
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of Oliver Reed 😆.

Laz kicked his ass if hes telling the truth.....Laz is prolly more honest than Burt "puppy mill" Ward , ill give him that , heh (i doubt they were seriously considering Ward in The Graduate.....)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The thing about George is that he’s pretty much known for making the worst career decision in the history of movies. Maybe he’s just plain dense?
    Bond almost died out with Golden Gun so Bond dying out in the 70s might not be so far fetched as one thinks.....i also doubt the scripts wouldve been so much better as fans think if Laz continued , scripts couldve been the same regardless. They say Game of Death wouldve boosted his career but that too is no guarantee his career wouldve survived. Maybe he couldve tried doing westerns in Italy , shame it didnt happen. The big question is w/o Rigg & Savalas to support him in DAF would he be able to carry the load himself , if Savalas didnt return ??
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Not excusing Lazenby--at all--but these are the same stories I heard him tell at an event years ago. He's kind of a doddering old man, isn't he?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    mtm wrote: »
    The thing about George is that he’s pretty much known for making the worst career decision in the history of movies. Maybe he’s just plain dense?
    He's his own worst enemy, that's for sure.

Bond almost died out with Golden Gun so Bond dying out in the 70s might not be so far fetched as one thinks.....i also doubt the scripts wouldve been so much better as fans think if Laz continued , scripts couldve been the same regardless. They say Game of Death wouldve boosted his career but that too is no guarantee his career wouldve survived. Maybe he couldve tried doing westerns in Italy , shame it didnt happen. The big question is w/o Rigg & Savalas to support him in DAF would he be able to carry the load himself , if Savalas didnt return ??

Agreed about Golden Gun, it's still the lowest grossing Bond film, totally a failure (financially, by marketing and maybe by quality also), It's still the lowest point of the series, but Bond dying at the time was still impossible as the Producers are experimental at keeping the franchise alive, and it's unlikely that they would ran out of budget to make more Bond films, as EON's budget was still stable, especially that LALD as turned out, profited well, so there was still some remaining budget at the time, and could possibly make another Bond film after Golden Gun.

I would say that the time the franchise nearly died was in 1989/1990's after LTK, because EON was also suffering financial problems due to some court issues and lawsuits, added to that was LTK's low box office due to some tough competitions, that it took 5 or 6 years before the release of another Bond film (Goldeneye).

Back to Lazenby:

Peter Hunt would still be directing (he'd said that he would direct another Bond film as long as Lazenby would return), so he would likely to find some talented actors/actresses that can again counterpart Lazenby's acting, so it would have been a different cast.

Again in terms of script, Peter Hunt would likely to continue directing him, and as he loved to do faithful adaptations of the novels (look at what he'd done to OHMSS, it would likely to happen in all of Lazenby's films), maybe all of the remaining Fleming books would be faithfully adapted to screen, but the Problem was if the producers would allow that, especially their idea was to cash in on several trends that would not be done had they adapted the novels faithfully, but again it depends on how Hunt's version of DAF would have turned out, if it turned out to be successful then the Producers might allowed Hunt to do what he wanted to do.

Probably no Manckiewicz (he would not likely to get hired), and Maibaum would likely to stay as the screenwriter.
    echo wrote: »
    Not excusing Lazenby--at all--but these are the same stories I heard him tell at an event years ago. He's kind of a doddering old man, isn't he?

Yes, I also think so, let's just understand the old man 🙂.
    Venutius wrote: »
    He's his own worst enemy, that's for sure.

"He's the architect of his own demise"

- That was Dame Diana Rigg's statement about him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,959

Yikes, DAF without Sean is hard to countenance. In that it's not a very good Bond film (in my opinion), but Connery has turned on his full movie star power for it, which is what makes it watchable because he's brilliant. Stick Lazenby in there and I think it would have pretty much no redeeming features for me (other than it's a Bond film of course, so not all bad!).

Yes, I also think so, let's just understand the old man 🙂

Okay, I understand that he's pretty much always shown over the last 50 years that he's a pillock :)
    In this day and age it shocks me that theres no audience recordings of this....
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Kananga wrote: »
    In this day and age it shocks me that theres no audience recordings of this....

Well as it was in a concert hall with signs declaring photos could be taken, but recording was prohibited.
    There were a plentiful of staff to ensure this.

Yes, I also think so, let's just understand the old man 🙂

Okay, I understand that he's pretty much always shown over the last 50 years that he's a pillock :)

Well, not completely. :)
    He'd fooled the Producers, got married to Pam Shriver, he owned a big property.
    He knows how to make a way to be rich.

He'd still made money.

The guy's a jerk, but he's not complete stupid.
    He's just been fooled by his agent into believing he would turn him into a Clint Eastwood-like superstar.
    Lazenby has always been lewd in television interviews and the like, but from what I've heard recounted about this, he went miles past the line in a way that he never has publicly before. He wasn't merely hinting at sexual escapades, he was going into immense detail about very vulgar things. Anyone who thinks him being canned is just "wOkE" (I hate that f#$%ing word) is delusional.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Lazenby has always been lewd in television interviews and the like, but from what I've heard recounted about this, he went miles past the line in a way that he never has publicly before. He wasn't merely hinting at sexual escapades, he was going into immense detail about very vulgar things. Anyone who thinks him being canned is just "wOkE" (I hate that f#$%ing word) is delusional.

100%.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    George's statement on his FB page:

I am sorry and saddened to hear that my stories in Perth on Saturday might have offended some people. It was never my intention to make hurtful or homophobic comments and I am truly sorry if my stories that I have shared many times, for example in the documentary BECOMING BOND, were taken that way. I only ever wish to share some stories and hopefully entertain some people. I personally have friends within my close circle who are gay and I would never wish to offend anyone. Having been surrounded by strong women all my life, I have always admired and respected women and their wishes.

I figure my real achievements in my life are my kids. Very proud of all. Now in my 80s, family and friends are naturally what's most important to me.

Love George xx
    he shouldnt have been drinking so much then maybe itd be avoided , at least somewhat
    @HildebrandRarity already mentioned this clip before (I had not seen it until it was mentioned), but I feel recent events about Lazenby give this a whole different dimension, haha.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I am sorry and saddened to hear that my stories in Perth on Saturday might have offended some people. It was never my intention to make hurtful or homophobic comments and I am truly sorry if my stories that I have shared many times, for example in the documentary BECOMING BOND, were taken that way. I only ever wish to share some stories and hopefully entertain some people. I personally have friends within my close circle who are gay and I would never wish to offend anyone. Having been surrounded by strong women all my life, I have always admired and respected women and their wishes.

I figure my real achievements in my life are my kids. Very proud of all. Now in my 80s, family and friends are naturally what's most important to me.

Love George xx

You've posted that twice.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 303
    I think it's all an act albeit in bad taste. The reason I say his behavior is an act is this video is the most normal Laxenby has ever been. He's not showing off. If anything he comes over a bit insecure/indecisive regarding playing Bond.

Interview starts at 3 mins 40 - in black and white:

My guess is he has insecurity so has to mention his sexual conquests in many interviews but that 1970 interview is the real George Lazenby. Just his true self.

"I was very uptight. "

Dictionary definition of uptight:
    "worried or nervous and not able to relax:"

In reality he was far from being this confident lady's man on set. He admitted he was uptight... nervous/anxious. A man with self doubt about his time as Bond. Not some guy acting like Hugh Hefner.

My guess is he wants people to think he was like Bond in real life hence his need to mention his sexual escapades!

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Looking at that, I really wish George had done two more. 'The architect of his own demise', for sure.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Love George xx

You've posted that twice.

Apologies, but one was a link which I wasn't sure worked for everyone. Which is why I just copied and pasted his statement in the end.
    007HallY wrote: »
    @HildebrandRarity already mentioned this clip before (I had not seen it until it was mentioned), but I feel recent events about Lazenby give this a whole different dimension, haha.

This popped into my mind immediately when I heard about what happened. I remember chuckling at this clip at the time. Now it feels VERY uncomfortable.