The GEORGE LAZENBY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Doesn’t really change my ranking of him as Bond, to be honest. Because he’s always been last anyway.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wow, the appreciation keeps flooding in.
    Not since the Cary Fukunaga Appreciation thread has an appreciation thread had so much... well, appreciation for the individual.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    He’s everyone’s inappropriate and embarrassing granddad or uncle or something, and you still love him regardless… unfortunately in this case they keep giving gramps a big public platform upon which to embarrass himself!

OHMSS is still very high for me, of course.
    Wow, the appreciation keeps flooding in.

Can't wait to read the George Lazenby, uh, disappreciation thread.
    Depreciation
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Benny wrote: »
    I was at the Perth concert on Saturday night.
    Sadly George was highly offensive in his interview. All his answers revolved around sexual conquests and often very inappropriate.
    I’ve met George, he’s not a bad person. But his stories need to remain in the 60’s and 70’s .
    His story about becoming Bond is truly fascinating.
    His escapades after are not.
    George’s film is brilliant, but George is not an actor, and clearly doesn’t know how to conduct himself correctly.

I know a couple of people who worked on the show. They're huge Bond fans, who were mortified and gutted by what happened. They said he went on stage really drunk, and that the situation was far worse backstage, though didn't elaborate on what happened.

:)) :)) oh man...

Bond is in a rough state PR wise it seems... Craig, beloved by the people, is out; 006 is cancelled because he doesn't like intimacy coordinators on film sets, and now this...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah really, I must say I wondered if there was drink involved.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Sadly George was highly offensive in his interview. All his answers revolved around sexual conquests and often very inappropriate.
    I’ve met George, he’s not a bad person. But his stories need to remain in the 60’s and 70’s .
    George’s film is brilliant, but George is not an actor, and clearly doesn’t know how to conduct himself correctly.

I know a couple of people who worked on the show. They're huge Bond fans, who were mortified and gutted by what happened. They said he went on stage really drunk, and that the situation was far worse backstage, though didn't elaborate on what happened.

I bet he got laid.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nah, he'd have told us.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

He had garlic.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    This would be like if Leo attended a Titanic concert and decided to go into details about the his prime years in the Pussy Posse.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,986
    Sounds like there are conflicting reports of how it went.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62879838

Quite a few extra details of what he said there and it almost sounds like a Derek & Clive sketch.

"It wasn't until a brave member of the public shouted, 'Excuse me, this is offensive', that the tension was released and George was jeered off stage and music saved the day"

Is that what happened @Benny - he was jeered off?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 40,490
    "Intimate details of diarrhea."

There's a sentence I never thought I'd read.

I keep seeing he made homophobic comments too but no examples are provided.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    "Intimate details of diarrhea."

There's a sentence I never thought I'd read.

I keep seeing he made homophobic comments too but no examples are provided.

Probably something like "They sent me a girl. They wanted to test if I was a (insert offensive word)."
    or
    "That Brosnan is a (insert offensive word)."
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 2,952
    "Should I tell the diarrhea story? Bond fans love that one."

"Maybe just keep it about Bond, George. There are kids watching."

"I'm gonna tell the diarrhea story."
    007HallY wrote: »
    "Should I tell the diarrhoea story? Bond fans love that one."

"I'm gonna tell the diarrhoea story."

I hope there's a sequel to "Becoming Bond" that includes this little saga.
    007HallY wrote: »
    "Should I tell the diarrhoea story? Bond fans love that one."

"I'm gonna tell the diarrhoea story."

I hope there's a sequel to "Becoming Bond" that includes this little saga.

Haha, I hope there is. But clearly he was eager to tell the diarrhea story at that particular venue....

One could say he couldn't hold it in...
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 6,743
    An audience member was quoted as saying the show had "stunk."
    I wonder if George sang THE DIARRHEA SONG thus overshadowing the Bond music during the concert?
  • Man oh man, I’m seeing all these comments and question if I even want to know what George did.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

Quite a few extra details of what he said there and it almost sounds like a Derek & Clive sketch.

"It wasn't until a brave member of the public shouted, 'Excuse me, this is offensive', that the tension was released and George was jeered off stage and music saved the day"

I wouldn’t say jeered off. There were some mutterings and small cheers when the interview was cut short.
    Later in the show when two stagehands removed the interview chairs there were loud cheers and clapping, suggesting the audience were more than happy that George wouldn’t be returning .
    At the end of the concert, the orchestra, conductor and singers all got a thanks and mention. But nothing about George was said.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2022 Posts: 3,391
    I don't know why the people here were raffled at this.
    It's a Bond related event and the audience were purely Bond fanatics.
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    It's a Bond related event and the audience were purely Bond fanatics.

I do get it to be fair. Literally anyone could have been there, not just adult Bond fans. Maybe you attend such an event with your kids to listen to some live music and hear a former Bond speak about his experiences playing the part. Then you get some drunk old a*sehole telling weird sex stories. I'd be annoyed.

Even barring the 'think of the children' mentality, it's probably the sort of stuff that's really uncomfortable to listen to in that sort of setting.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    The story that sums up Lazenby the best is the one Jim Jefferies (Lazenby played his dad on a show for FX) shared with Conan O’Brien about the many Bond girls he bedded… in the 80s or 90s while they were all part of the same conventions. The details they then add about stuff like the pre-signed pictures in the motel room define him very well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I wouldn’t say jeered off. There were some mutterings and small cheers when the interview was cut short.
    Later in the show when two stagehands removed the interview chairs there were loud cheers and clapping, suggesting the audience were more than happy that George wouldn’t be returning .
    At the end of the concert, the orchestra, conductor and singers all got a thanks and mention. But nothing about George was said.

Interesting, thanks- I hadn't realised it was cut short at all. Sounds like it's for the best.

I wasn't aware of a raffle. Let me know when the tombola comes out.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

I wasn't aware of a raffle. Let me know when the tombola comes out.

It's ruffled, sorry.
    That's it, after this mess, George will never make another Bond film.