The GEORGE LAZENBY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

1222324252628»

Comments

• edited December 2023 Posts: 303
    Good to hear on Mr. Lazenby. All best to him and his family.

'Tis the season I'll be searching him out.

ohmss.gif?resize=670%2C298&ssl=1

George is a tough chap. I'm sure he'll recover. :)

That shot of Lazenby smoking, along with John Barry's music... perfection. The opening to OHMSS is magical. It's the perfect combination of Ian Fleming/Cubby Broccoli Bond.
    Jabbar broke his hip too now , both him & Laz were gonna be in Game of Death
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited December 2023 Posts: 3,390
    Tracy wrote: »
    Jabbar broke his hip too now , both him & Laz were gonna be in Game of Death

@Tracy Laz needs you there, you can save him just like how you did it in the ice skating rink ;).
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited January 17 Posts: 988

God that looks terrible.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I hope Eric Roberts had a nice afternoon shooting his headline role :D
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    007HallY wrote: »

God that looks terrible.

I mean, it's a Z-movie so it makes sense.
  • edited January 17 Posts: 2,897
    007HallY wrote: »

God that looks terrible.

I mean, it's a Z-movie so it makes sense.

Thing is, it really doesn't look cheap. It clearly has a level of production/costume design, varied locations, choreography, and indeed actors (ok, Daniel Craig isn't going to make a surprise cameo, but even Eric Roberts and George Lazenby require a certain amount of money). It simply has all the staples of a relatively well funded but badly made low budget movie - the bad colour grading, the bad ADR/dubbing, weirdly flat or overexposed lighting at points, and indeed the absolute scale of it despite how rubbish it looks. Reminds me of Uwe Boll films more than Tommy Wiseau or Neil Green (so boring and not worth watching).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited January 18 Posts: 6,726
    Haha, the man with the shaven head and the beard at the very end is the prison inmate from Wishmaster 2, the one who wishes his lawyer to go eff himself, and yes, a truly ridiculous scene ensues.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    His best films outside of Bond: The Man From Hong Kong, Who Saw Her Die, and Stoner.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited January 18 Posts: 735
    Wait, has no one's seen Saint Jack, the Peter Bogdanovich film (maybe his best) set in Singapore from 1978?

Lazenby has a small part near the end as a closeted gay US senator set up for blackmail by the CIA, if memory serves. But it's a crucial plot point in a morality tale centered around the titular Ben Gazzara character, with a strong supporting cast (Denholm Elliott, James Villiers) and a seedy milieu fans of American Cinema from the pre blockbuster era will likely enjoy.