Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• QsCatQsCat London
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah he's great in it, really striking performance. And pretty much in his Remington Steel period too: should have been Bond then: he showed there he could do the cold as well as the charm.
    I remember one of his early 90s thrillers where he's some sort of charmer who turns out to be the murderer too, sort of Dead Calm sort of thing. I think he did something else along those lines relatively recently, although not quite the typical full-on villain sort of thing.

Never Talk To Strangers is what I think you're thinking of! It was a fairly low-budget thing where he was an abuser.

Could be, thanks. Pretty much the only thing I can remember about it is an intensely weird ending to a restaurant scene where the lady he's having dinner with leaves, and the scene ends with him feeling the temperature of a bottle of sake for some reason, and then him looking very meaningful (possibly doing a patented Brosnan thoughtful lip-wipe). It was baffling!
    Trailer

And film, for anyone interested
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784
    We should also not underestimate the fact that the average moviestars today are not nearly as recognisable as those 20-30 years ago. Outside of the UK/US and fanbases of specific films and shows, general audiences are oblivious to even the biggest names mentioned in the thread. Whoever will play 007 will gain worldwide notoriety like Mr Bean, and thus going for a no-name actor serves little purpose beyond an announcement PR stunt.

I still think a 2 picture deal with Idris Elba is the best creative and commmercial decision.

Thankfully you're not at the helm of EoN.

Dare I say Aidan is a worse actor than Cavill, and less charismatic than even you.

He’d still make an ok Bond, that’s how much he looks the part.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,965
    QsCat wrote: »
    Yeah he's great in it, really striking performance. And pretty much in his Remington Steel period too: should have been Bond then: he showed there he could do the cold as well as the charm.
    I remember one of his early 90s thrillers where he's some sort of charmer who turns out to be the murderer too, sort of Dead Calm sort of thing. I think he did something else along those lines relatively recently, although not quite the typical full-on villain sort of thing.

Never Talk To Strangers is what I think you're thinking of! It was a fairly low-budget thing where he was an abuser.

Could be, thanks. Pretty much the only thing I can remember about it is an intensely weird ending to a restaurant scene where the lady he's having dinner with leaves, and the scene ends with him feeling the temperature of a bottle of sake for some reason, and then him looking very meaningful (possibly doing a patented Brosnan thoughtful lip-wipe). It was baffling!
    Trailer

Thanks; that's not the one I'm thinking of it turns out! :)

It was Victim of Love

Don't trust him! :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They were both rough viewings, for sure, when I saw them this year.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    We should also not underestimate the fact that the average moviestars today are not nearly as recognisable as those 20-30 years ago. Outside of the UK/US and fanbases of specific films and shows, general audiences are oblivious to even the biggest names mentioned in the thread. Whoever will play 007 will gain worldwide notoriety like Mr Bean, and thus going for a no-name actor serves little purpose beyond an announcement PR stunt.

I still think a 2 picture deal with Idris Elba is the best creative and commmercial decision.

Dare I say Aidan is a worse actor than Cavill, and less charismatic than even you.

Hahaha. Worse than Cavill!? Is that even a possibility? Cavill cannot even act, perhaps an imitation of a tree, but that's it. Turner is quite a good actor, certainly more than good enough for Bond and he doesn't look like an overgrown chippendale, either.

Also, where I'm from the women in general find Craig to be looking like a builder. Pass him by on the street and you wouldn't even notice him.

Hahaha. Worse than Cavill!? Is that even a possibility? Cavill cannot even act, perhaps an imitation of a tree, but that's it. Turner is quite a good actor, certainly more than good enough for Bond and he doesn't look like an overgrown chippendale, either.

Also, where I'm from the women in general find Craig to be looking like a builder. Pass him by on the street and you wouldn't even notice him.

He’s been terrible in everything except Da Vinci. It might not be his fault, rather the writers and directors. I do like him as a person though, he does seem grounded. If he would channel his natural self more he’d be better off.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Good Lord those Brosnan "classics". I might have to give them a watch at some point :D.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think he's terrible, he's seemed perfectly fine in everything I've seen him in. He can certainly do the accent perfectly, which already puts him above a few candidates! :)
    But I'm not sure he's a movie star, and he's a bit untested in that situation.
    Terrible might be strong, but he gives off stilted performances (like being way too serious in Toast of Tinseltown). Again I think he hasn’t been given roles that allow him to play to his strenghts, which is sad. He comes off as more Bondian in interviews than he does in ATTWN.

I think he would be great if you pair him with artistically strong directors, but a Fassbender or a Murphy have a different kind of presence that could redeem even the most mediocre writing.

He is miles better than most choices and probably the safest of them all, don’t get me wrong.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I can watch Brosnan in anything. His highly likeable persona is why I can watch a movie like Grey Owl. I also really love his very Irish film, The Nephew.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, I find his acting amusing at times, but he's always extremely watchable and charismatic; he's a natural star and always was really.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I still remember watching The Manions of America and although corny I actually really enjoyed it.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318
    I don't think he's terrible, he's seemed perfectly fine in everything I've seen him in. He can certainly do the accent perfectly, which already puts him above a few candidates! :)

A very sensible post. Cheers.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I've known several women who thought that Dan was 'hot', but none of them thought he was 'handsome'. I suspect Craig's, er, rugged masculinity trumped the need for a pretty face.

I'd argue that there's a difference between handsome and pretty.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I can watch Brosnan in anything. His highly likeable persona is why I can watch a movie like Grey Owl. I also really love his very Irish film, The Nephew.
    +1

He has headlined serveral projects already, even if they weren’t global successes.
  • QsCatQsCat London

Trailer

It was Victim of Love

Well you've introduced me to an early Brosnan film at least. I enjoy seeing early work of actors, although Brosnan did have a lot of TV work under his belt at this point. I've just got off stage tonight myself.. You never know what the future holds boys, one job leads to another, and another...
    I know most of you would like a known actor to become Bond, but I'd like it to be an unknown myself. And I'm sure the jealously of the idea of a member of this community becoming Bond would prohibit most of you from believing it could happen- but you never know...
  • QsCatQsCat London
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Good Lord those Brosnan "classics". I might have to give them a watch at some point :D.

Around the world in 80 days is worth a watch!

Trailer

It was Victim of Love

Well you've introduced me to an early Brosnan film at least. I enjoy seeing early work of actors, although Brosnan did have a lot of TV work under his belt at this point. I've just got off stage tonight myself.. You never know what the future holds boys, one job leads to another, and another...
    I know most of you would like a known actor to become Bond, but I'd like it to be an unknown myself. And I'm sure the jealously of the idea of a member of this community becoming Bond would prohibit most of you from believing it could happen- but you never know...

Early works of directors are also interesting. You can see their idiosyncracies even without the production value, and then you become sad that most practitioners have to conform to get employed or recognised nowadays.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,932
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'd argue that there's a difference between handsome and pretty.

I'd agree. Was exaggerating to emphasise the point.
  • QsCatQsCat London

He’s been terrible in everything except Da Vinci. It might not be his fault, rather the writers and directors. I do like him as a person though, he does seem grounded. If he would channel his natural self more he’d be better off.

I think I've seen him on stage in a Shakespeare production many years ago,
    then met him after at the stage door briefly. Enjoyed the play enough
    Desperate Romantics was a great series and great experience for a would-be Bond, well before Poldark. I also saw him in the Lieutenant of Inishmore a few years ago. He wasn't terrible in any of them, but it doesn't mean I'd like him to be Bond. But he has done work which has worked in his favour...

Desperate Romantics was a great series and great experience for a would-be Bond, well before Poldark. I also saw him in the Lieutenant of Inishmore a few years ago. He wasn't terrible in any of them, but it doesn't mean I'd like him to be Bond. But he has done work which has worked in his favour...

I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was chosen. Most previous actors have more or less had a similair lack of ”range”.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I'm not familiar with the work of some of the suggested candidates this time around, but I don't hold out any hope that we'll get someone with Craig's ability. So if we have to accept a worse actor, we might as well compensate by having someone who at least looks the part, right? ;)
  • QsCatQsCat London

I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was chosen. The previous actors have had a similair lack of ”range”.

He just hasn't done enough interesting work. I was a teenager when Craig was cast. I went and watched all of his films as well as Our friends in the North. Love is the Devil, Enduring Love, The Mother, Some Voices, Sylvia, Obsession, among others. He didn't display Bond qualities in them (except Layer Cake I suppose) but he had presence and it was clear he was a capable actor. I was excited to see what he would do with Bond, I imagined a Bond closer to the books- which is what we got. I don't feel that way about anybody else right now..
    Looking Bond-like isn't really enough. Turner has (somewhat) the looks, and certain experience, but I feel he's only an option because there isn't anyone else who is a viable option. I'm tired of well-known actors being touted on here, particularly Cavill. Hasn't he been successful enough? He's had his share-lets have an unknown as Bond next. I don't want to hear another word about Cavill, Hardy or Elba. They've been mentioned for so long that people will be fed up of them even before their first film, if cast.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the work of some of the suggested candidates this time around, but I don't hold out any hope that we'll get someone with Craig's ability. So if we have to accept a worse actor, we might as well compensate by having someone who at least looks the part, right? ;)

Yep you're not wrong there. Many actors suggested here don't even look the part..
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited July 2022 Posts: 251
    Yeah, I find his acting amusing at times, but he's always extremely watchable and charismatic; he's a natural star and always was really.

Brosnan is a brilliant actor. Is there anyone similar nowadays? Not that I can think of. For me he succeeded in being a combination of Moore and Connery. Perhaps erring a little more towards Moore though..
    But you can't ask for more than that. He accomplished a huge amount as Bond and is unfairly criticised by some people on here..
    I've always loved Brosnan as an actor, especially in GE. He deserved better Bond scripts/ films in general. Such a good Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He has headlined serveral projects already, even if they weren’t global successes.

A couple of very small films which he hasn't caused a stir in, and a big TV hit. I'm not completely convinced just yet.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was chosen. The previous actors have had a similair lack of ”range”.

He just hasn't done enough interesting work. I was a teenager when Craig was cast. I went and watched all of his films as well as Our friends in the North. Love is the Devil, Enduring Love, The Mother, Some Voices, Sylvia, Obsession, among others. He didn't display Bond qualities in them (except Layer Cake I suppose) but he had presence and it was clear he was a capable actor. I was excited to see what he would do with Bond, I imagined a Bond closer to the books- which is what we got. I don't feel that way about anybody else right now..
    Looking Bond-like isn't really enough. Turner has (somewhat) the looks, and certain experience, but I feel he's only an option because there isn't anyone else who is a viable option.

Yes agreed; presence-wise there's not much comparison, which does worry me slightly. Maybe he can suddenly spontaneously develop that, I'm not saying he'd definitely be underwhelming, but I just remain to be convinced.

Brosnan is a brilliant actor. Is there anyone similar nowadays? Not that I can think of. For me he succeeded in being a combination of Moore and Connery. Perhaps erring a little more towards Moore though..
    But you can't ask for more than that. He accomplished a huge amount as Bond and is unfairly criticised by some people on here..

Yeah I found it quite interesting on that live GoldenEye watchalong (I think it was) where he actually said that he intentionally pitched it between Connery and Moore. He comes off as not completely making it his own as a result I guess but regardless, it was a big hit and what was needed after the previous couple of films failed to set the world alight.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    We are on our way to NYC today to see Daniel Craig in Macbeth (tomorrow evening). We have front and Center tickets… spear-headed by my wife, a gorgeous Pilates instructor who salivates over Craig….

Some people need to repeat things on loop hoping they can create an echo chamber.

Silly.

Ah wow, have a great time. Well done for getting the tickets, I can imagine they were pretty hot.
    I won't spoil the end for you :D

Thanks @mtm — 😂!!
    We are on our way to NYC today to see Daniel Craig in Macbeth (tomorrow evening). We have front and Center tickets… spear-headed by my wife, a gorgeous Pilates instructor who salivates over Craig….

Some people need to repeat things on loop hoping they can create an echo chamber.

Silly.

Ah wow, have a great time. Well done for getting the tickets, I can imagine they were pretty hot.
    I won't spoil the end for you :D

Thanks @mtm — 😂!!

I'd say post a photo of your gorgeous wife. Perhaps we could form a second opinion on her beauty.