Cary Joji Fukunaga - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    #Believe all women, except Amber Heard

I know it's a serious topic, but if/when Depp's career survives this, due to the wealth of bizarre moments, he will have so much material for future characters. He could play a muffin obsessed psychologist, that glitches out during questioning.

Where do they find these so-called professionals?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    mtm wrote: »
    I think we basically have to always believe people when they make these allegations.
    It doesn’t mean you have to accept that it’s true

I like that you disagree with yourself as much as you disagree with others on here. That's a very fair-minded approach!

The two statements you quote aren’t contradictory.

It all depends on one's willingness to condescend with their word parsing, or one's comfort with being disingenuous with potential victims. This of course varies from person to person. Personally, if someone says they believe an account I've given, I like to think they consider the account to be true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I think we basically have to always believe people when they make these allegations.
    It doesn’t mean you have to accept that it’s true

I like that you disagree with yourself as much as you disagree with others on here. That's a very fair-minded approach!

The two statements you quote aren’t contradictory.

It all depends on one's willingness to condescend with their word parsing, or one's comfort with being disingenuous with potential victims. This of course varies from person to person. Personally, if someone says they believe an account I've given, I like to think they consider the account to be true.

This post I'm quoting is just baiting to start an argument as per usual, I'm not interested: try someone else.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    ‘He Needs to Be Stopped’: Sources Say Cary Fukunaga ‘Abused His Power’ To Pursue Young Women on Set
    Nearly a dozen sources say the ‘No Time to Die’ director repeatedly crossed professional lines, using his sets to openly pursue much younger female cast and crew members

https://rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/cary-fukunaga-no-time-to-die-1359656/
    Now that snowball is starting to roll.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    What is it with this industry and creeps trying to get laid?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Cary Fukunaga Accused of Inappropriate Behavior on Multiple Sets, ‘Grooming’ Young Women — Report
    https://indiewire.com/2022/05/cary-fukunaga-accused-inappropriate-behavior-1234722624/

IndieWire have picked up the story.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2022 Posts: 3,382
    Let's wait for some court trials regarding this one, I don't want to judge Fukunaga without any evidence presented yet. I will wait for the verdict and the evidence to prove if he's innocent or not. I have mixed feelings regarding this.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think there's anything actually criminal said to have gone on, is there? Unless there's a civil action it doesn't seem likely to get to court, and he may end up doing that to save his career.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited May 2022 Posts: 554
    Creeps love having power to lord over the ones they pursue. So the status that comes with Hollywood is very attractive.
    Creeps love having power to lord over the ones they pursue. So the status that comes with Hollywood is very attractive.

I would do anything for the opportunity to prove that today’s filmmakers bathing in big budgets/salaries are overrated. So much so that I have a hard time imagining temporary employees with reputations on the line trying to hook up with random colleagues.

I’d be happy if he is out of play for B26 because I think NTTD sucked badly, but I don’t care what happens to him otherwise.

I’d be happy if he is out of play for B26 because I think NTTD sucked badly, but I don’t care what happens to him otherwise.
    NTTD is the only Bond film that I haven’t seen again since the one time I saw it in the theater. It’s also the only one I didn’t get on DVD or Blu-Ray as soon as it came out. I even saw QOS and SP twice in the theater and got the DVD when it came out (and I didn’t care for those films at all). But thought that maybe a second or third viewing might improve them. Nope.

But with this one I just couldn’t even be bothered to give it a second chance. Maybe I’ll watch it again at some point. But have no interest at the moment. In fact I don’t care to see any Bonds any time soon.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Very dramatic, if I may say so. I have never felt my Bond fandom wane over the latest addition.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Very dramatic, if I may say so. I have never felt my Bond fandom wane over the latest addition.

It hasn’t waned. But being a filmmaker myself I realise the endless possibilities and the lack of creative vision to end up with that.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Well at least he never raped any girl… unlike Bond… XD
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    matt_u wrote: »
    Well at least he never raped any girl… unlike Bond… XD

I watched FRWL the other day, and in the gipsy camp two women fight over wanting to marry the same man, Bond gets to sleep with both at the same time to determine who will be the bride. (Extremely far fetched)

Whatever Bond has, Cary ain’t got it. “Incest is fine if everyone is ok with it” is the worst pickup line I have ever heard in my life.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    You can scratch his name off B26.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    “Incest is fine if everyone is ok with it” is the worst pickup line I have ever heard.
    'You don't sweat much for a fat lass' still works in Barnsley. Er, so I've heard...

It’s funny that blokes like Fukunaga and Whedon are revealed to be creeps, but dude bro, gym rat Zack Snyder is apparently a gentleman.
    It’s funny that blokes like Fukunaga and Whedon are revealed to be creeps, but dude bro, gym rat Zack Snyder is apparently a gentleman.

Forget it, @Benjamin_Weekly69. It's Chinatown.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    I don't think there's anything actually criminal said to have gone on, is there? Unless there's a civil action it doesn't seem likely to get to court, and he may end up doing that to save his career.

There's indeed no indication in the article that he's committed any crime. And it appears that he's "smart" enough to target women of legal age. I don't think there will be any civil action. It's just that there are some recurring patterns in his behaviour aimed at vulnerable women that show he's not simply a jerk, but someone who's actively manipulative and harmful towards young women when he works on a specific project.

It's definitely not enough to bring him to court, maybe not even to the court of public opinion, but it's more than enough for many decision makers to prefer not working with him because he doesn't bring enough to the table to justify the toxic conditions he creates on a set.
    The court of public opinion, sadly, needs very little stimulation before lighting more fuses than on Chinese New Year.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited June 2022 Posts: 467
    Except that Fukunaga is no household name. Film fanatics know who he is, but he wasn't an high profile director. What people will ultimately remember is that he's behaved inappropriately, and simply that, because there's no particular incident that's meaningful on its own. For actors or media personalities that people have heard about (i.e. who have an Instagram account with many followers), there's much more backlash, often at the first sign of a potential offence. But for directors? I can name James Toback, Bryan Singer, Brett Ratner, Joss Whedon, Abdellatif Kechiche (Blue Is the Warmest Color), Rob Cohen and Shane Carruth who are more or less done, most of them for quite serious and documented accusations, but it was done quietly and it didn't really make the news, apart of Singer and Whedon who were quite famous due to their involvement with major franchises and, in Whedon's case, being regarded as an auteur.
    Yet, David O. Russell (who's at best a temperamental jerk) and a few others are still active.

Being a manipulative jerk doesn't get a director canceled. Being notoriously difficult and taxing doesn't get a director canceled (otherwise, David Fincher would be done with the industry). But the combination of the two, even if you're talented, can be enough to send you into director's purgatory, where you only get offered DTV films shot in Romania or Bulgaria and starring Steven Seagal (as Bruce Willis is now retired).
    Fukunaga had some kind of a bad rep with his collaborators, he got a major opportunity with directing a Bond film, he could have cleaned up his act, and his darker impulses still got the better of him. He still tried to use this newfound fame in ways that are mostly evocative of a petty pick up artist, while posing as a male feminist. Definitely not the best idea.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's definitely not enough to bring him to court, maybe not even to the court of public opinion, but it's more than enough for many decision makers to prefer not working with him because he doesn't bring enough to the table to justify the toxic conditions he creates on a set.

Yeah, you just wouldn't bother, would you? If you're a producer in charge you don't want the hassle of some kind of abuse case potentially happening on set, with people walking out and suing each other and just generally causing issues; and if you're a more on-the-ground person, you just don't want to work with someone who seems to be a dick. I think someone mentioned these stories have been circulating for a while, so I guess maybe that process had started already.
    It's tough to hire "tainted goods". It's also becoming increasingly more difficult to hire goods that are untainted. ;-)

Due to his sudden popularity in the "court of public opinion", Johnny Depp may become one of the first big names who got "cancelled" by studios and then "reinstated" as it were by ardent fans. Not sure Fukunaga will ever receive the same goodwill, should he need it, that is. He's just not big enough for that. Depp's charisma is all over the place; fans would regret not having him around. I doubt that Fukunaga shares the same fan love...
    Depp was damaged goods even without the lawsuit. That's the main reason for which he's not on PotC anymore. People put the blame on Amber Heard, but they forget the issues were mostly of his own making.
    He had turned into a very capricious actor, with constant requests, causing production delays with the budgets ballooning, while he was extremely professional on his early parts. He would be late on set, hadn't learnt his lines for the day, etc. He wasn't reliable for promo too. And his fee was still high. That's why he started to lose parts.
    He pushed for a Lone Ranger movie, which lost money. Outside of established franchises, he mostly had duds (remember Mordecai?).
    I'm definitely not an Amber Heard supporter, and I have no idea about how much of a wreck she is outside a film set, but she's there on time, she's in good shape, having trained for weeks, and she does her part as she's supposed to do.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Watching that outcome, was like watching a boxer getting knocked to the canvas, yet the blows keep coming. I didn't think it would go so well for Depp. He didn't get his $50M, but in the eyes of the public, he has had his reputation repaired. It'll be interesting to see, career wise, where he goes from here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Had his reputation repaired overall, I'd say, and gets a cool $8.3 million or so from Heard apparently in the end. I'm also eager to see where his career goes (and how Amber's ends up) after this.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 725
    David Fincher is pretty much cancelled. His last studio movie was in 2015. Mank was a Netflix production. He is just too expensive for the returns he brings in. Studios took heed to that eventually.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 467
    Fincher still has Brad Pitt’s trust. After Gone Girl, he developed the sequel to World War Z which was ultimately cancelled by Paramount, but not because of him. And he has a new film coming for Netflix, produced through Plan B (Brad Pitt’s company) and starring Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton. It’s simply that the business for mid budget films, the kind that Fincher tends to favor, isn’t great at the moment. But he’s typically a “one for them, one for me” director with Mank being the one for “him”.

Otherwise, Scorsese, Snyder, Rian Johnson, the Coens (including solo) or Ridley Scott are all developing projects for streaming, and all very much not cancelled.