Cary Joji Fukunaga - Appreciation Thread

15678911»

Comments

• edited September 2022 Posts: 784
    Of course they are each strong in certain aspects, even Spectre is, but they are severely lacking in the writing department which totally ruins it for me.

It might be a wider audience reach thing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Based on your comments, I think it's more of a "you" thing.
  • It might be a wider audience reach thing.

lol
    I have already shared notes on how I think the films could have been improved. I think it's funny that you have a problem with a fan expressing his views on a fan forum, a fan that contributes to the salaries of an incredibly privileged, nepotistic industry.
    I have shared notes on how I think the films could have been improved. I think it's funny that you have a problem with a fan expressing his views on a fan forum, a fan that contributes to the salaries of an incredibly privileged and nepotistic industry.

I actually couldn't care less. I was just taking the opportunity to be humorous. Express away!
  • I have shared notes on how I think the films could have been improved. I think it's funny that you have a problem with a fan expressing his views on a fan forum, a fan that contributes to the salaries of an incredibly privileged and nepotistic industry.

I actually couldn't care less. I was just taking the opportunity to be humorous. Express away!

I didn't realise it was in jest. Keep em coming. :)
  • I

Not really. Plenty of us think the film was terrible!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @ringfire211 … “plenty” is a subjective word.

The reality is that the Bond franchise has not skewed towards the four quadrants of film audiences for quite some time (unlike, say, Spider-Man/Marvel/DC), and hits more with an older audience (of course a new era may see a bump in a younger demo).

But the fact is (not opinion, hyperbole, perspective, but a fact), NTTD made almost $800 million in a world that was still moving through a pandemic.

And since Bond fans tend to be older, this was the audience we know, mostly, who were keeping out of public places like the cinema.

So this $775 million box office take was built via repeat viewings.

I’d say, “plenty” more liked the film than did not.

Just saying…
    I thought he was predominantly referring to Skyfall when I answered him, to be fair.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @CraigMooreOHMSS … I hope not, 😂! That film made “plenty” of box office dollars. I think to the tune of over one billion.

Many eyeballs went back to the cinemas, many times over.
    That's how nostalgia works. Box office alone, not contextualising the pandemic restriction or the delays, without estimating marketing spends, not adjusting for inflation or market conditions, without accounting meta trends in the industry, the competitiveness of other titles or adjacent medias is not going to lead to significant conclusions.

Additionally as time has progressed populations and their access to viewing technology has increased significantly. Considering it is a long running globally recognised brand I am very surprised it is outperformed by the likes of Top Gun when it actually should be able to compete with Spider-Man.

I still think NTTD was poorly written, not as poorly as Spectre, or Skyfall, but still poor nonetheless.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Guys, let’s try to remember the language policy. I realize that was a pretty innocuous term above, but experience tells us that if you start letting things go it can get out of hand.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 4,408
    First look at MASTERS OF THE AIR has been unveiled by Apple TV+ in which Cary Fukunaga has directed four episodes. I really love Austin Butler's accent 😍😍😍 If only he was English, he'd have made a good Bond.

1bypdtO.png
    It looks like Cary Fukunaga has a new film underway and it sounds fantastic. That is a seriously good cast. I have yet to see his episodes of Masters of the Air on Apply TV+ though, I plan to binge that series soon.

https://x.com/DEADLINE/status/1789656887031660834
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 23 Posts: 9,469
    It looks like Cary Fukunaga has a new film underway and it sounds fantastic. That is a seriously good cast. I have yet to see his episodes of Masters of the Air on Apply TV+ though, I plan to binge that series soon.

I read the script on Friday. It's amazing. Dark and violent and captures the crazy summer of NYC in 1977 (a massive heatwave, Son of Sam, gangsters and crooked cops, a robbery and a blackout-- a proper hard boiled noir thriller).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That sounds like a great concept for a movie, fun to the hear script lives up to it!
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    peter wrote: »

I read the script on Friday. It's amazing. Dark and violent and captures the crazy summer of NYC in 1977 (a massive heatwave, Son of Sam, gangsters and crooked cops, a robbery and a blackout-- a proper hard boiled noir thriller).

Sounds like it'll make NTTD look like It's a Wonderful Life.