The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Despicable Me
    Kong Curling
    Ternet Ninja
    A few more Lana Turner films I ordered this week.

51JyTR3eDHL.jpg

515WN5sTrPL.jpg

51bv6lzLAIL.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    reign-over-me-dv-s.jpg
    Reign Over Me (2007) € 1,50
    hqdefault.jpg

Yes, I know, it's not considered the best Godzilla movie. But it's Godzilla.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,620
    Gerard wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Yes, I know, it's not considered the best Godzilla movie. But it's Godzilla.

....I'll agree to that!!!! :))

After the "high budget spectacular" of INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER, Toho gave the reins to Jun Fukuda for the next two films (EBIRAH, HORROR OF THE DEEP, and SON OF GODZILLA). Gone were scenes of monster destruction in large urban settings, and instead we had small island battles (i.e., smaller budgets). But they - as you know - are still a lot of fun and the Godzilla suit used in SON is fairly unique. And you do have a very touching scene at the end of the film when the island freezes over. Like the Bond movies, even the worse Godzilla film has a great moment or two that makes it worth watching.

Ishirō Honda would return to the series with 1968's DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, which was originally intended as the conclusion of G's saga. Of course, that didn't happen :D
    Continuing my Lana appreciation with.............

s-l400.jpg

A few films I picked up from a local shop..............

6c9affe9-1b6d-4dc5-be4f-9aa1faad7faa.a5a1f46497627bd0a63183ca4b284d01.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

4758998_so.jpg

22e2e79e-c171-4bdd-a022-f7e7c9865e7d_1.4935ae9e3bd72275bacd3799891b85c3.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

6db8d803-3c54-4633-a9a7-4aa259fd59ea_1.ebcd2ca42ff3ee555efd8e0442367ee7.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

0032429276889_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

91Fthz9z19L._SL1500_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    91Fagd6BPvL._RI_.jpg
    ---
    @ToTheRight Night and the Hunter and Lawrence of Arabia, you don't get much better than those two films both masterpieces. It's a shame Laughton never directed again, he nailed German expressionism.

I really need to revisit the Jason films.
    91Fagd6BPvL._RI_.jpg
    ---
    @ToTheRight Night and the Hunter and Lawrence of Arabia, you don't get much better than those two films both masterpieces. It's a shame Laughton never directed again, he nailed German expressionism.

I especially love Night of the Hunter. Big Mitchum fan!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    91Fagd6BPvL._RI_.jpg
    ---

Bob was great in both Cape Fear films and I thought he did justice to Marlow especially in Farewell, My Lovely.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Nice selection @ToTheRight. You can't go wrong with a bit of Mitchum, plus some F13 (shame that The New Blood got butchered by the sensors, and will never see an deluxe/uncut edition*).

*Still one of my favourites though.
    Great pickups as always @ToTheRight.

As a fan of classic era noir, I can’t recommend NIGHT OF THE HUNTER highly enough; it is a GREAT film. Criminally overlooked at the time of release, it is now seen as a classic. And of course, you have the Spike Lee’s DO THE RIGHT THING homage for modern audiences.
    EB19961124REVIEWS08401010344AR.jpg
    lovehate-dorightthing.jpg?w=809
    … and you have the start of Shelley Winters run of bad luck around bodies of water……
    :))
    98c4a2a353fe20895b66541514449b7c.jpg
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    91Fagd6BPvL._RI_.jpg
    ---

Bob was great in both Cape Fear films and I thought he did justice to Marlow especially in Farewell, My Lovely.

I agree, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. He was a great Philip Marlowe. I never saw the CAPE FEAR remake. I forgot Mitchum has a part in it.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Great pickups as always @ToTheRight.

As a fan of classic era noir, I can’t recommend NIGHT OF THE HUNTER highly enough; it is a GREAT film. Criminally overlooked at the time of release, it is now seen as a classic. And of course, you have the Spike Lee’s DO THE RIGHT THING homage for modern audiences.
    EB19961124REVIEWS08401010344AR.jpg
    lovehate-dorightthing.jpg?w=809
    … and you have the start of Shelley Winters run of bad luck around bodies of water……
    :))
    98c4a2a353fe20895b66541514449b7c.jpg

Great stuff, @Dwayne !. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is superb. Wonderful cinematography. I moved to a rural area about 7 years ago, and there are a few roads and rivers that remind me of this film.

Nice selection @ToTheRight. You can't go wrong with a bit of Mitchum, plus some F13 (shame that The New Blood got butchered by the sensors, and will never see an deluxe/uncut edition*).

*Still one of my favourites though.

I'm looking forward to watching THE NEW BLOOD, @MajorDSmythe. I really hadn't seen these F13 movies in ages. I watched that odd one with Shavar Ross. I thought it was still pretty good. Looking forward to Part VI.

Here's another film that arrived in the mail for me today....................

s-l1600.jpg

Lana Turner and my hero, Sir Roger Moore!
    This is going to be interesting.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,271
    @ToTheRight Gregory Peck also has a role in Martin Scorsese's Cape Fear, its an excellent film highly recommended. De Niro is brilliant as Max Cady. It's very Hitchcockian and Neo Noir.
    @ToTheRight Gregory Peck also has a role in Martin Scorsese's Cape Fear, its an excellent film highly recommended. De Niro is brilliant as Max Cady. It's very Hitchcockian and Neo Noir.

I'll have to watch that one. Always liked De Niro. Great cast with Nick Nolte and Jessica Lange. Strange I never got around to seeing it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Blu-ray of Tombstone Somehow I’ve never seen this classic.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The Blu-ray of Tombstone Somehow I’ve never seen this classic.

Brilliant film, Val Kilmer and Michael Bean are great.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,620
    @ToTheRight : concerning DIANE: between Sir Roger Moore and Pedro Armendáriz, the Bond connections are quite strong.

As for me, when the sales representative at Barnes & Noble wouldn’t let me use my discount coupon to “pre-purchase” DOUBLE INDEMINITY, I went to plan “B” and bought Deadline U.S.A (1952).
    152254_large.jpg

The subject matter of this noir-adjacent drama starring Bogart – the importance of a free press – is all too relevant in today’s world. I've heard a lot about this film, so my Memorial Day viewing schedule is now locked into place.
    @ToTheRight : concerning DIANE: between Sir Roger Moore and Pedro Armendáriz, the Bond connections are quite strong.

As for me, when the sales representative at Barnes & Noble wouldn’t let me use my discount coupon to “pre-purchase” DOUBLE INDEMINITY, I went to plan “B” and bought Deadline U.S.A (1952).
    152254_large.jpg

This subject matter of this noir-adjacent drama starring Bogart – the importance of a free press – all too relevant in today’s world. I've heard a lot about this film, so my Memeorial Day viewing schedule is now locked into place.

Great movie, @Dwayne! I got that on Blu-ray awhile back. Apparently James Dean is in the background in one of the news room scenes. I still haven't spotted him.
    I never tire of Bogart films!
    Two DVDs lately, but not movies :

91VZcQBMdUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS3XKDlRJ0R4ts33I1JFn8sWPsKRdidDeBRFnEyLFAaXNjy_AreLXS99e4nR8mhPGZjSI&usqp=CAU

Speaking of the last one, why doesn't the producers of the show have a merchant site ? I mean, I had to phone them, send them an self-adressed, pre-paid enveloppe and a cheque in order to receive the DVD. It would have been way easier to use my credit card, like on Amazon. Ah, well, I got the DVD of that show, and that's the most important thing.
    550x765.jpg
    Un Long Dimanche De Fiançailles / A Very Long Engagement (2004) - 2 Disc SE with sleeve. € 1,50

IMG-20220604-161213.jpg
    Gerry (2002) € 1,00. My 35th movie in my collection with Matt Damon.
    ouDyHLpkU73NiMlSuoX54Nx1zTI.jpg
    I am very happy to have this Robert Wise Masterpiece in 4K. Bernard Herrmann's score is brilliant.
    This one arrived in the mail last weekend.

A0ZX_1_20130628145986601.jpg

Loved it. It was very cute.

This one is on track to reach my mailbox by Wednesday..............

51aJ5aNm3jL._SY445_.jpg
    As the chief executive accountant representing Lana Turner’s estate, I approve of each and every one of @ToTheRight ‘s many purchases. :D
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 15,801
    As the chief executive accountant representing Lana Turner’s estate, I approve of each and every one of @ToTheRight ‘s many purchases. :D

Thanks, @Dwayne!
    I really liked SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS. I'll watch CASS TIMBERLANE in a couple days. There's still several of her films for me to add to my library.

I watched a rather odd horror film on Youtube that she had done later in her career: PERSECUTION a.k.a. THE GRAVEYARD. Lo and behold it co-starred two of my favorite Hammer horror stars, Ralph Bates and Suzan Farmer.
    @ToTheRight TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is currently showing THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE and I thought of you when I saw this:
    @ToTheRight TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is currently showing THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE and I thought of you when I saw this:

Haha! That's great, @Dwayne!
    I recently upgraded to the Blu-ray of THE POSTMAN ALAYS RINGS TWICE
    . As I have four days off before I start my new job I may pop that one in again.
    I also have that copy of CASS TIMBERLANE to enjoy. Always liked Spencer Tracy. Be cool to see him play Lana's husband. I wonder if he gets killed for his trouble?
    550x801.jpg
    The Settlement (1999)
    Town wide yards sales in my region this weekend. Picked up a few items:

s-l500.jpg

51-wET8cE8L._SY445_.jpg

81Bb-dXZoML._SY445_.jpg

s-l400.jpg

2d3e6e52-2d29-4ad7-8964-2ef5026cd278_1.f3d21dec38ae306367f0ceda2a9a07f2.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

...........and I had to order another Lana Turner film for myself................

512wP5A3BYL.jpg
    3333299316123_1?op_sharpen=1&resmode=bilin&fmt=pjpeg&qlt=85&wid=450&fit=fit,1&hei=450

Yes, it's the Ghostbusters set (minus the third movie, I wonder why, but as I already have it, it doesn't matter).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2022 Posts: 45,489
    A Cure For Wellness
    Star Wars: Episode IX-The Rise of Skywalker
    X-Men: Apocalypse

Also pre-ordered Doctor Strange 2-In the Multiverse of Madness.