The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2022 Posts: 40,464
    I don’t think he can actually do that because of DGA rules. Actors aren’t allowed to take over as director after production kicked off with a director.

Vin is just gonna have to find a director he can boss around like Stallone and Eastwood do.

This is correct.

That one video I saw this morning with Vin and Justin looked odd, as if the latter was being held hostage. I can't wait to hear why he left beyond the generic "creative differences" response. Wouldn't surprise me if Vin's ego got in the way once again.
    Lin quit mere days after Brie Larson was announced as part of the cast.

Coincidence? 😉
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Coincidence? 😉

Yes.

If you think the problem child in that cast is Brie Larson and not Vin Diesel, you're delusional.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 1,394

Coincidence? 😉

Yes.

If you think the problem child in that cast is Brie Larson and not Vin Diesel, you're delusional.

Vin has been there since the start and is basically the Kevin Feige of the Fast franchise.

And maybe Justin Lin got on with Larson as much as Chris Hemswirth did..

Louis Leterrier is being eyed to step in as director of Fast X:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/fast-x-louis-leterrier-justin-lin-fast-furious-franchise-1235013401/
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,024

Coincidence? 😉

Yes.

Vin has been there since the start and is basically the Kevin Feige of the Fast franchise.

And maybe Justin Lin got on with Larson as much as Chris Hemswirth did..

Wrong. It’s Vin that’s the problem. Stop watching garbage YouTube.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/fast-x-director-justin-lin-quit-vin-diesel-difficult-fast-and-furious-10/

And frankly, Justin Lin did A LOT more for this franchise than any of their stars will admit. It’s because of the direction he took the franchise ten years ago that it turned into a bigger franchise.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Haven't heard his name in quite a while.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't get the problem. :-? I have had to work with people that I didn't like, and it was mutual. I'd put up with them during work hours, knowing that when I left the building, I wouldn't have to put up with them until I was back at work. Why is it so hard to believe that actors don't get on. It wouldn't be the first time that one actor has rubbed another actor up the wrong way.

I have seen that interview posted commented by people from all sides. And it doesn't matter who they are pro or anti towards, the temperature drop in that room, when Don Cheadle says "What have I told you about touching me" is palpable. Ooof, the banter train just derailed.

And for what it's worth, I have no opinion on Brie Larson either way, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen her in anything.

---

As for this thread, I still haven't seen the latest released film, but it sounds like it hasn't jumped the shark, it has jumped the ocean. I would say that they could trim the fat a little, but I don't think that is going to happen.
    One thing this supposed fallout between Justin Lin and Vin Diesel reignited is my interest in seeing BETTER LUCK TOMORROW. It’s been in my queue for a long time but maybe I should finally get it out of the way.
    One thing this supposed fallout between Justin Lin and Vin Diesel reignited is my interest in seeing BETTER LUCK TOMORROW. It’s been in my queue for a long time but maybe I should finally get it out of the way.

I've never heard of it until now but I've added it to my Watchlist, it sounds good. Funny, apparently MC Hammer wired Lin the funding needed for the film because he enjoyed the script so much, saving it in the process.
    The story I know of it was when Roger Ebert ranted at Sundance because some other critic suggested the movie reflects badly on Asian Americans and Ebert wasn’t having it.

IIRC, he called TOKYO DRIFT the best of the franchise at the time of release when most critics were outright dismissing it.
    Roger loving Tokyo Drift is gold; the man was surely always capable of surprises, considering how critically panned the film was.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Cop and a Half! Ebert found young Norman D. Golden II's performance arresting.
    I remember catching TOKYO DRIFT on HBO just out of boredom. Maybe my expectations were low enough, but I remember thinking it was much better than it’s reputation. Plus, it eventually lead up to FAST FIVE which is probably among my favorite action films of the 2010s. Justin Lin was obviously the best thing to happen to this franchise, so it’s too bad he had to leave in this manner.
    Fast Five is my favorite of the franchise and one of the better action films out there in general. I remember being floored by the train stunt during one of the trailers that played before its release in theaters, knowing I was going to have a great time with it.
    Fast Five is still the pinnacle of the franchise, and I think the vast majority of fans agree, even if they have other personal favorites. The film is an absolute trash masterpiece, the culmination of everything good about these movies. The characters, the setpieces, the soundtrack ("Danza Kuduro"!!), the cinematography...and, of course, the vault chase, which I still think is among the best car chases ever put on film. As much as I have gotten so much pleasure and enjoyment from the sequels that came later, a big part of me wishes the franchise had ended there. What a grand ending it would have been.
    Fast Five is still the pinnacle of the franchise, and I think the vast majority of fans agree, even if they have other personal favorites. The film is an absolute trash masterpiece, the culmination of everything good about these movies. The characters, the setpieces, the soundtrack ("Danza Kuduro"!!), the cinematography...and, of course, the vault chase, which I still think is among the best car chases ever put on film. As much as I have gotten so much pleasure and enjoyment from the sequels that came later, a big part of me wishes the franchise had ended there. What a grand ending it would have been.

One of the best aspects for me is how grounded the action feels while still playing as ridiculous and impossible; most of the stunts, driving and crashes are realistically done and the film doesn't have an over-reliance on CGI to create the spectacle. That's one of the big reasons why I've been disappointed in the last several installments (among other issues).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,325
    ‘Fast X’: ‘Jack Reacher’ Star Alan Ritchson Joins Next Installment In ‘Fast & Furious’ Franchise
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2022/05/fast-x-jack-reacher-alan-ritchson-joins-fast-furious-franchise-1235022989/amp/

I am happy for the actor, Alan Ritchson was great in Reacher
    53647159-0-image-a-14_1643739147923.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=480%2C270
    Scott Eastwood set to reprise his role in Fast X:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/scott-eastwood-to-reprise-little-nobody-role-in-universals-fast-x-1235028305/

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I was excited to see him cast. I still need to check out Reacher. Been too focused on films lately that I've set a ton of shows to the side unfortunately.
    The family expands a little more as Rita Moreno joins Fast X as Dom's grandmother:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/rita-moreno-to-play-dominic-torettos-grandmother-in-fast-x-1235031393/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Gal Gadot Reportedly Coming Back For Fast And Furious 10
    https://gamerant.com/gal-gadot-fast-and-furious-10-return-report/

Maybe its Gisele's evil twin out to endanger The Family lol

If she somehow survived, it'll be another series where death really means nothing, robbing those moments of any emotional weight they had. Han returning was ridiculous enough (in a series that jumped the shark a long time ago).

If she somehow survived, it'll be another series where death really means nothing, robbing those moments of any emotional weight they had. Han returning was ridiculous enough (in a series that jumped the shark a long time ago).

I thought the same, Fast films are getting as bad as Star Wars for no body really dies.

I thought the same, Fast films are getting as bad as Star Wars for no body really dies.

They're overblown family dramas now (and I suppose they always have been) that don't even grip me in the action/stunts department. Too much implausibility, too much CGI. At least the fifth and sixth installments were exciting and fairly practical (for the most part, anyway). I just can't find excitement in a rocket car shooting into space or that car hook ridiculousness in the last one. I'll keep watching them, I've made it this far, but I'm not terribly optimistic anymore.

They're overblown family dramas now (and I suppose they always have been) that don't even grip me in the action/stunts department. Too much implausibility, too much CGI. At least the fifth and sixth installments were exciting and fairly practical (for the most part, anyway). I just can't find excitement in a rocket car shooting into space or that car hook ridiculousness in the last one. I'll keep watching them, I've made it this far, but I'm not terribly optimistic anymore.

It just occurred to me despite owning the film I still have not seen F9, as the Rock is not in it and F8 was a step down for me I did lose a bit of enthusiasm for the series.

It just occurred to me despite owning the film I still have not seen F9, as the Rock is not in it and F8 was a step down for me I did lose a bit of enthusiasm for the series.

F9 was certainly one of the weakest installments yet for me.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

F9 was certainly one of the weakest installments yet for me.

I never finished it. Once they went to space it was a what the fuck moment
  • I have genuinely loved the F&F franchise since the first film, even up through F8/FATE. But F9 was so bad on so many levels that as soon as it ended, I had this terrible realization that the series was over for me. I will watch the last two, but I don't have a single drop of enthusiasm or excitement about it, which makes me sad.
    I haven’t watched any of them since 7.

Apart from 4, I liked Justin Lin’s films the most. They’re more tongue in cheek which I think really helped the series, with 5 being the best.

Him walking off of 10 after only a week’s with of shooting tells me this franchise is done. It probably should have ended with 7. But it’s a moneymaker for Universal, and they’re always gonna keep pushing their franchises.
  • I haven’t watched any of them since 7.

Apart from 4, I liked Justin Lin’s films the most. They’re more tongue in cheek which I think really helped the series, with 5 being the best.

Him walking off of 10 after only a week’s with of shooting tells me this franchise is done. It probably should have ended with 7. But it’s a moneymaker for Universal, and they’re always gonna keep pushing their franchises.

Justin Lin directed F9, but he also wrote it. I believe it's the first script he's ever written, and it shows. It's a narrative mess.

I hate to say it, but I agree that the series should have ended after part 7. It was a beautiful send-off for Paul and for the whole series.