The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

Comments

Physics has well and truly left the race track :))
    Major Spoilers in this trailer

That makes the DAD Iceberg para surfing scene positively realistic!!!! :))
    Yes, you cannot simply suspend disbelief to watch that, you can't intentional avoid critical thinking or logic, you would have to go beyond that, you'd have to suspend intelligence, reasoning, power of choice and, well, taste.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, you cannot simply suspend disbelief to watch that, you can't intentional avoid critical thinking or logic, you would have to go beyond that, you'd have to suspend intelligence, reasoning, power of choice and, well, taste.

Or, you can just allow people to enjoy whatever they want to enjoy. I love the Fast & Furious films, yet I also love such films as Goodfellas, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Wolf of Wall Street, Dances with Wolves, Bridge on the River Kwai and 12 Angry Men.

Judging people on their movie taste is quite frankly not what I want to read on this discussion forums.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »

Or, you can just allow people to enjoy whatever they want to enjoy. I love the Fast & Furious films, yet I also love such films as Goodfellas, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Wolf of Wall Street, Dances with Wolves, Bridge on the River Kwai and 12 Angry Men.

Judging people on their movie taste is quite frankly not what I want to read on this discussion forums.

Why not? Isn't that what we do all the time here?

And why shouldn't I ask you, yes you - and actually this is wonderful because I do respect your particular opinion - why do you happen to like the FF films? Just so I can understand why a guy with an apparent stellar taste likes this sort of thing. Heck, answer me only if you want to. I am genuinely curious. Not picking a fight or trying a social experiment here. Just really curious as to why you'd like this tuned car culture heavy CGI'd poorly acted franchise.

I'm curious because people argue the validity of some threads in these Bond forums, and this one seems to be thriving, even though this has nothing to do with spy flicks or the action spy genre. It's almost an antithesis, IMO. It's crass, vulgar, cheap, ... It's the equivalent of a wife beater in a room filled with dinner jackets. XXX's Zander Cage's would be coarse and disgusting as well, but it would have a tangent to the spy genre. MI films, I do understand having a place in the forums, but FF having its own thread here? And thriving with 17 pages? I'm curious as to why. That's all.

In fact, I asked the very same thing about the DC/Marvel threads. And someone answered me aptly. Although it didn't convince me much. Yes, I'm aware there are threads such as "The illness thread" or "The Brexit discussion", but hey, I find those odd entries as well.

So, why do you like FF, @DaltonCraig007?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,949
    The effects there are pretty terrible really: at no point does that stuff look real. That plane doesn’t even look real when it flies over, let alone the Spider-Man car.
    mtm wrote: »
    The effects there are pretty terrible really: at no point does that stuff look real. That plane doesn’t even look real when it flies over, let alone the Spider-Man car.

Hell, even Charlize Theron's hair doesn't look real :-D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Because, to put it simply, they are dumb, fun, mindless action flicks. I don't expect the same things from a Scorsese films than I do for a Fast & Furious film. I do not even expect the same level of filmmaking quality in a F&F film than a James Bond film.

Just because I might enjoy spending 100 euros to eat at some super fancy restaurant, doesn't mean I am inherently unable to enjoy a 2 dollar burger at the local McDonalds joint.

Some nights, I just want to sit back, relax and enjoy 2 hours of pure popcorn entertainment. And other nights I want to enjoy the filmmaking brilliance of a Spielberg, Coppola, Fincher or Kubrick film. It all depends on my mood. And it would be terribly boring for me (and everyone) if I only liked one genre of film with zero interest or knowledge about any other type of motion pictures. Discussion would become stale rapidly.
  • Fast 8 was a bit much, and I haven't watched the spin-off just yet. Hopeful this one brings more fast car racing and less Russian sub base antics.

It can be the FYEO to our MR. ;)

Well...it looks more like MR multiplied with DAD ... but this would even be more realistic than FF9. It looks stupid but it would be enough for an evening with some mates and beer.
    P.S. the connection between Diesel and Cena is very creative...NOT! Sounds as great as some kind of idea they had with the character of Waltz in SP...

Oh yes, after I watched the trailer my hopes for toning down the silliness 'went out the window.' ;)
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Because, to put it simply, they are dumb, fun, mindless action flicks. I don't expect the same things from a Scorsese films than I do for a Fast & Furious film. I do not even expect the same level of filmmaking quality in a F&F film than a James Bond film.

Just because I might enjoy spending 100 euros to eat at some super fancy restaurant, doesn't mean I am inherently unable to enjoy a 2 dollar burger at the local McDonalds joint.

Some nights, I just want to sit back, relax and enjoy 2 hours of pure popcorn entertainment. And other nights I want to enjoy the filmmaking brilliance of a Spielberg, Coppola, Fincher or Kubrick film. It all depends on my mood. And it would be terribly boring for me (and everyone) if I only liked one genre of film with zero interest or knowledge about any other type of motion pictures. Discussion would become stale rapidly.

See? That wasn't hard. And I knew that I'd respect your opinion. And it's a very valid one indeed. I too have some guilty pleasures, a burger and a dumb film are needed once in a while, even if only to ease the day's pressure to be serious.

That being said, I'd put the FF films even lower than a Michael Bay film in the dumb category. But as you very well know, that's only a matter of opinion. And forums are made to discuss opinions. Thank you for answering. Gonna grab that burger now ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I find it amusing that Diesel has essentially turned Fast and Furious into xXx, especially when the last xXx film was so half-baked in almost all departments.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I find it amusing that Diesel has essentially turned Fast and Furious into xXx, especially when the last xXx film was so half-baked in almost all departments.

I was really expecting something like fast five or even the first one but now that they have crossed billion twice, there is no turning back.

I was really expecting something like fast five or even the first one but now that they have crossed billion twice, there is no turning back.

That's for sure. They're pretty much critic proof now, too. Even if they did make one that was more widely considered poor, they'd do gangbusters. People seem to lap it up.

Fast Five was the last one I truly enjoyed. The sixth and seventh had individual sequences that I appreciated, but that last one.....sheeesh. The spin-off was rubbish too, but it had all the ingredients that guaranteed its success.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I like your answer @DaltonCraig007 . I feel exactly the same. But this movie is maybe really too much for me.
    Vin Diesel suggests that the 10th (and final?) Fast & Furious outing could be split into 2 parts. One releasing in May 2021 and the second in May 2022.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I also read somewhere that 10th film could be the last one.
    100 days left until Fast & Furious 9 opens in its first batch of countries on May 20th (France, Norway, South Korea, Indonesia).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,441
    How long (a month ?) it wil take before Fast & Furious 9 wil be delayd too and if not are people here not think Bond should have got Fast & Furious 9 release date and Fast & Furious 9 the November one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The release date has been pushed back a year now, to April 2nd, 2021:

https://collider.com/fast-9-release-date-delayed-reason-why/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Not surprised at all, more big films will do the same very soon.

Not surprised at all, more big films will do the same very soon.

You're right. A Quiet Place 2 has, as well.
    Hobbs & Shaw 2 is officially in development:

https://collider.com/hobbs-and-shaw-2-update/

Finally a confirmation! I hope they'll have more practical stunts this time 'round. The first one was surprisingly very fun, The Rock & Jason Statham had great chemistry.

I would rather they keep making Hobbs and Shaw movies rather than the main ones. I don't know if there is a character I'm looking forward to seeing in 9. Hobbs and Shaw was an absolute romp and I liked seeing The Rock and Statham bounce off each other. Hopefully Vanessa Kirby returns as well!
    edited September 2020 Posts: 40,468
    It seems that there's a rather big rumor-turned-confirmation making the rounds now, something ridiculous that surely would've been better saved as a surprise during the film but of course most outlets can't help themselves. In case you're interested:

A rumor begun by Ludacris has been confirmed: Dominic Toretto (not sure which other members of the "family" may join him) is going into space in the latest installment.
    That's hilarious.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The often joked about terrible idea that you somehow knew was going to happen. And yet, I can't look away.
    Ryan wrote: »
    The often joked about terrible idea that you somehow knew was going to happen. And yet, I can't look away.

Fan service come to life. I'm sure it'll be ridiculous but hopefully in a good way.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I was expecting Cruise to take the MI films into space before F&F.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,441
    Movie delayd to May/June 2021.
    Hot on the heels of the announcement that James Bond film “No Time to Die” will open April 2nd 2021, Universal Pictures has also delayed “F9: The Fast Saga”.

The film was originally slated for a May 22nd release this year but was pushed to April 2nd 2021. It will now be moved back a further few weeks and arrive for Memorial Day weekend on May 28th 2021 – like Bond it has now ultimately moved back one full year from its original release.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/f9-the-fast-saga-pushed-to-may-2021/

Possible mean 27 May or 3 June wil be new Dutch release date.
    Justin Lin has confirmed he will direct two more installments after Fast 9 to officially end the series:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/fast-and-furious-franchise-ending-two-more-films-justin-lin-director-universal-vin-dieseli-1234600644/