Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here's a trailer for Strange New Worlds :)

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Yay, that appears to be much better fun than Disco and Picard.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,311
    They keep coming...

Who else will be featured?

Character trailer for Lt. Erica Ortegas:

Strange New Worlds looks like a lot of fun. Will I need to have seen all of Discovery before watching this?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    TR007 wrote: »
    Strange New Worlds looks like a lot of fun. Will I need to have seen all of Discovery before watching this?

I don’t think you’ll need to have watched S2 for this. SNW is supposed to work as a show you can enjoy without having seen too much of past Trek as it’s supposed to be more episodic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yes I certainly hope not as I can barely remember S2 of Discovery now :)

I don’t think you’ll need to have watched S2 for this. SNW is supposed to work as a show you can enjoy without having seen too much of past Trek as it’s supposed to be more episodic.
    Thanks, glad to hear it.
    That’s the thing of S2, it wasn’t really ABOUT Pike, Spock, and Number One. They were featured supporting characters, with Mount’s Pike having become immediately popular because he’s exactly the kind of captain fans want to see lead a show.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SNW looks kinda cool. All I have to say is that the hand phasers better look like the ones from TOS. If not, I'll give it a hard pass.
    I loved that DISCO made a phaser that combined elements from the phaser design in “The Cage” with the phasers seen in TOS.

sttoscagephaser2-jpg.898537

ST_Phaser-Fern_005.jpg

ANV-STDPHS6-2.jpg
    I loved that DISCO made a phaser that combined elements from the phaser design in “The Cage” with the phasers seen in TOS.

sttoscagephaser2-jpg.898537

ST_Phaser-Fern_005.jpg

ANV-STDPHS6-2.jpg

I may be able to live with that. Carry on...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Star Trek: Picard , S2, ep5 Almost speechless though I enjoyed it, immediately going to rewatch it. There were some genunely great idea's and moments in this episode, and one thing they touched upon that gave me foreboding chills in real terms.

Frakes directed and you can tell, the directer of the previous 2 episodes had a cameo... Marty's mum.
    Star Trek: Picard , S2, ep5 Almost speechless though I enjoyed it, immediately going to rewatch it. There were some genunely great idea's and moments in this episode, and one thing they touched upon that gave me foreboding chills in real terms.

Frakes directed and you can tell, the directer of the previous 2 episodes had a cameo... Marty's mum.

Wasn’t it just fantastic? I really can’t tell where this season is going. For the past five weeks I’ve been on the edge of my seat watching it and this week was no different. It’s a huge improvement over season 1. I’m loving it!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Wasn’t it just fantastic? I really can’t tell where this season is going. For the past five weeks I’ve been on the edge of my seat watching it and this week was no different. It’s a huge improvement over season 1. I’m loving it!

The interaction between two legacy actors was brilliant, wow.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,105
    After second viewing this is definately my favourite Picard episode.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I had a lot of fun with this episode, it's just a good solid watch.

I like that we have Star Trek turning into its old Desilu stablemate Mission Impossible for a few scenes too :)
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 1,394
    I’m up to episode 4 of season 2 of Picard.While it’s definitely an improvement on the train wreck that was S1,the anti white male hatred by the shows ( mostly female ) writers is disgusting.Any white male besides Picard is depicted as evil,incompetent or both.

Why does 2024 Guinan not recognise Picard? Didn’t they meet a century earlier in a two part TNG episode called Times Arrow? And really,that racist comment she made to Picard about how “ life was better for people who looked like YOU “.Ugh.

They just can’t help themselves can’t they? Star Trek from the very beginning was progressive,but you don’t have to disparage an entire race or gender to do it.

The cameo by the punk from The Voyage Home was fun though.
    New 4K version of Star Trek TMP Director's Edition is out now on Paramount+. I don't have it. Not gonna get it for one movie. I love this version of TMP, but I can wait until September for a hard copy. My favourite Trek movie is the one with the whales... then TMP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’ve heard it’s impressive, especially the sound apparently. They’ve gone back to the original ADR tapes so it all apparently sounds like it was recorded yesterday. Very interesting.
    I was shocked to hear how good the ADR was remixed. It sounds like a brand new film.
    Having worked on ST TMP a billion years ago, I'm always amazed that it continues to get re-released all these years later.
    Iv grown to love TMP over the years.The directors cut in 2001 was a huge improvement on the original and it’s a damn shame Paramount didn’t go all the way and release this new version in theatres.It was designed for the big screen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I absolutely love TMP. It's a quiet ST film, but it's got a bit of a 2001 vibe and I like that. Probably my favourite one.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I absolutely love TMP. It's a quiet ST film, but it's got a bit of a 2001 vibe and I like that. Probably my favourite one.

Even more than the one with the whales-? ;)
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Iv grown to love TMP over the years.The directors cut in 2001 was a huge improvement on the original and it’s a damn shame Paramount didn’t go all the way and release this new version in theatres.It was designed for the big screen.

It’s going to be released in selected theaters on May 22nd, 23rd, and 25th.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Star-Trek-TMP-Directors-Cut
    AstonLotus wrote: »

It’s going to be released in selected theaters on May 22nd, 23rd, and 25th.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Star-Trek-TMP-Directors-Cut

I’m talking a FULL theatrical release worldwide.Not everyone lives in America and not everyone can get to those fathom events.

It’s more than the Snyder Cut will ever get.

Old films getting a FULL rerelease isn’t a thing studios do anymore, ever since home video became more prevalent and advanced over the decades.
    Picard Season 2 ep 6 a bit of a mess the writing is allover the place and they just keep introducing too many sub plots.

Looking forward to Season 3 though and praying 🙏 it's a great send off.