Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Looks better than any Star Trek I have seen.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Certainly aiming more for the optimistic tone for the earlier shows. Hope it’s as episodic as they’ve said it would be. Would be nice to have singular episodes that tell a story within 45 minutes. Only carryover between episodes is character stuff.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Strange New Worlds does look good.
    Anson Mount is the only decent thing to come out of the Kurtzman era of Trek so i will at least give the first few episodes a watch.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,271
    Star Trek: Picard , S2, ep2 Well this is dark, interesting nonetheless. I am viewing this series as a movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought it was really good fun. It's all fairly well-worn ground for Trek, but done well nevertheless. And this main cast are much more characterful and likeable than the bland Discovery crew.
    mtm wrote: »
    I thought it was really good fun. It's all fairly well-worn ground for Trek, but done well nevertheless. And this main cast are much more characterful and likeable than the bland Discovery crew.

I am enjoying Picard its the closest thing to good Trek in sometime, John De Lancie was brilliant as always, that was a pretty intense scene, loads of references in this one, the references worked in the context of what's going on.

I rewatch Picard which rarely happens with Discovery.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,935
    Yes I liked Q slapping Picard and Picard swearing at him. They have been confronting each other for decades, it’s time it turned nasty and bitter.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Does anyone know if ST:SNW will be available in Europe?
    Paramount+ is supposed to launch sometime this year in Europe, but I don't think a date has been given. Just a vague "Mid-2022".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd like to see SNW but I don't think I'll be signing up to yet another streamer for it. This and a Grease show and a HALO show... it's not for me.
    We have another James T. Kirk for Strange New Worlds: Paul Wesley (from Vampire Diaries).

paul-wesley-filming-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-1647364386.jpg?resize=480:*
    zebrafish wrote: »
    We have another James T. Kirk for Strange New Worlds: Paul Wesley (from Vampire Diaries).

Not sure how I feel about this, just realised who the actor is. Why did they have to bring Kirk into this show.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2022/03/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-james-t-kirk-paul-wesley-1234979489/amp/
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,312
    I also wonder why they decided to tell stories that include Kirk. The actor's face gives me a strong Jim Carrey vibe, not so sure if that was a good choice. If this goes into the direction of Discovery, I'm out of here anyway.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Are they doing the ‘different ships have different badges’ thing?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I also wonder why they decided to tell stories that include Kirk. The actor's face gives me a strong Jim Carrey vibe, not so sure if that was a good choice. If this goes into the direction of Discovery, I'm out of here anyway.

I also wonder why they decided to tell stories that include Kirk. The actor's face gives me a strong Jim Carrey vibe.

I thought exactly the same thing.

He looks a bit malnourished.And in today’s woke era are they going to still convey him as a skirt chaser?

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Now I can’t not see Jim Carrey
    AstonLotus wrote: »

He looks a bit malnourished.And in today’s woke era are they going to still convey him as a skirt chaser?

I could easily see a modern interpretation swinging both ways.
    Both ways ? What a quaint concept when you're dealing with aliens as well as humans ! Some of those non-humans - who knows whether gender concepts would even apply ! I can see Kirk as the character in the old bet-in-the-bar joke about the guy walks into a bar with an octopus which can play any instrument. He challenges for money and of course the octopus plays piano and drums and guitar wonderfully. When It encounters a bagpipes, though, it pauses. The guy gets nervous, about to lose the first bet ever. "What's wrong ? Can't you play it ?" he asks and the octopus says "Play it ?!!? If I can figure it out I'm gonna &^$% it !" Yeah. Kirk would be the octopus and the bagpipes would be some new-to-everyone alien the randy captain encounters.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Now I can’t not see Jim Carrey

I sincerely hope he plays it the same way.

The Center Seat: 55 years of Star Trek
    This limited series has recently appeared on Prime Video free to watch for subscribers. Its good.

---

Last week's episide of Picard was underwhelming, a bit of a filler episode.
    Will Wheaton looks very thin, hope he is well.
    Will Wheaton looks very thin, hope he is well.

He seemed OK during the documentary, his arms do look thin I agree.

----

Bill's energy at 90 is remarkable.

Happy 91st Birthday Bill Shatner (22nd March) what a legend.
    I'll give this to DISCO after having finished its fourth season: I like that they don't go for a villain, but rather just present people with conflicts of interest and ideas on how to resolve a critical situation where lives are at stake. I felt Trek since 2009 had become way to reliant on villains, when Trek has traditionally presented antagonists, a very key word to distinguish from mustache twirling villains. More emphasis on how communication is far more lucrative than basic PEW PEW battles.

The show still has its pacing issues and trying to figure out how characters fit in. Overall, S4 was a step in the right direction when it comes to showing a more optimistic view of the future, especially compared to the earlier seasons. That said, I don't really expect the show to improve. I can see it chugging along for another three seasons, calling it a day with the seventh season as that's become the defacto final season for most of Trek. Aside from PICARD of course, given they've already confirmed S3 will be its last.
    Star Trek: Picard , S2, ep4 this show has lost its way a bit in the last few episodes and the writers clearly have not watched any episodes with a legacy character that appears in this.

A lot of this makes no sense and not because its complicated, it's just badly written.

... And why is literally every other character negative or just plain nasty, and this happens through both seasons so far.

I did not pick up on this admittedly on first watch, my attention was meandering, big links to
    Gary Seven
    at the end of the episode.
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 4K Restoration Trailer

Chills, I can't wait to see this. I absolutely love this film.

May 22nd - 25th limited Cinema release.
    4K physical release in September.

Living in UK I need to find a way to watch it. According to reports Paramount+ is coming to the UK this summer though no confirmed specific date.

Screen shots from the restoration...
    vulcan-1068x449.jpg

vger1-1068x448.jpg

vger3-1068x448.jpg

kirk-1068x448.jpg
    Does look very good doesn’t it.The film has aged like fine wine ( especially since the initial release of the directors cut ).

It’s basically a remake of a TOS episode called “ The Changeling “ so I do wonder why Kirk didn’t try talking V’Ger to death 😉
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Star Trek: Picard , S2, ep4 this show has lost its way a bit in the last few episodes and the writers clearly have not watched any episodes with a legacy character that appears in this.

Kirk Thatcher? :)