Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    I think Khan should really have been an Indian or Asian actor.

I think in one of the prequel comics to that movie,it’s revealed that Khan was surgically altered so that he wouldn’t have been recognised and to keep his cover as “ John Harrison “.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I realize that an Indian or Asian actor would be more culturally appropriate but Montalbán created such a powerful, charismatic character that I see Esai Morales as a natural successor in the role; either way, I felt that Cumberbatch was miscast.
    I actually think Cumberbatch was great in the same way I think Pine was great; different universe, different circumstances, they didn't end up being 1:1 with their counterparts etc.

My issue is the whole "John Harrison" thing. No reason for the misdirection.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,021
    What stupid is that the writer Roberto Orci tried to defend Cumberbatch’s casting by saying they didn’t want to cast a POC as Khan because they didn’t want to inadvertently demonize someone of East Asian descent. Which is just DUMB, because in TOS they make it pretty explicit that Khan and his crew are actually a very diverse collection of ethnicities, it was intentional to mirror the already diverse crew of the Enterprise.

But that was a weird fad during the mid-2000s/early 2010s when studios were scared to offend POCs by making them villains. That’s why “The Mandarin” is a white in IRON MAN 3 and why Liam Neeson played an Arab in BATMAN BEGINS. It’s still white washing, despite good intentions.

Thankfully we got the real Mandarin in SHANG CHI, which I thought they did a good job with. Like hey guys, it’s okay to cast POC as villains. After all, actors LOVE playing the bad guys.
    I actually think Cumberbatch was great in the same way I think Pine was great; different universe, different circumstances, they didn't end up being 1:1 with their counterparts etc.

My issue is the whole "John Harrison" thing. No reason for the misdirection.

I actually applaud them for trying to keep the plot secret.I actually saw the film pretty spoiler free so didn’t know for sure if Harrison was Khan.I had my suspicions but didn’t know for sure until I saw the film.

In the context of the film it makes sense in universe.If you are going to wake up a world famous dictator from the 20th century,you would want to change his identity and appearance so he doesn’t get red flagged by the likes of facial recognition systems we have even today.This was a black operation run by Section 31,so they didn’t want the rest of Starfleet finding out.

I haven't been 100% on board with every bit of this season of Discovery so far - not whole episodes that I dislike or anything, more just an uncertainty about where this was all heading - but that midseason finale was terrific, and I still contend that "Choose To Live" is an all-time great Trek episode.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,267
    I haven't been 100% on board with every bit of this season of Discovery so far - not whole episodes that I dislike or anything, more just an uncertainty about where this was all heading - but that midseason finale was terrific, and I still contend that "Choose To Live" is an all-time great Trek episode.

Interesting I waa debating whether to buy Season 4 as its no longer available on Netflix UK. It is on Pluto TV though not on demand and I missed too many episides to randomly jump in on the show.

I am not a big fan of Discovery though I stubbornly keep watching Trek hoping it improves.
    Disco has had some very good episodes throughout its run, but it’s never an all timer IMO.

LOWER DECKS episode “wej Duj” is already up there for me. That’s been the most satisfying Trek show of the modern era.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Last week, on Christmas Eve I finally finished my few years long viewing of The Next Generation and then today, New Years Day, I finished The Next Generation movies. Viewing all of them for the first time. It was a satisfying show and set of movies and I’m sad that there aren’t more of that series to watch. I know there’s Picard so I’m very much looking forward to it. I still need to watch Discovery, Enterprise, Deep Space 9 and Voyager. I may even get around to the animated TOS, Lower Decks and Prodigy.
    Last week, on Christmas Eve I finally finished my few years long viewing of The Next Generation and then today, New Years Day, I finished The Next Generation movies. Viewing all of them for the first time. It was a satisfying show and set of movies and I’m sad that there aren’t more of that series to watch. I know there’s Picard so I’m very much looking forward to it. I still need to watch Discovery, Enterprise, Deep Space 9 and Voyager. I may even get around to the animated TOS, Lower Decks and Prodigy.

You can avoid Discovery.It’s just woke garbage.And Lower Decks is just a silly cartoon parody of the franchise.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,267
    DS9 is brilliant watch that next @QsAssistant plus a lot of TNG characters appear in it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Disco has had some very good episodes throughout its run, but it’s never an all timer IMO.

LOWER DECKS episode “wej Duj” is already up there for me. That’s been the most satisfying Trek show of the modern era.

Yes I enjoyed that one, I think Lower Decks has done quite a few good episodes in fact.
    Star Trek: The Animated Series Yesteryear is exceptional highly recommend.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,021
    AstonLotus wrote: »

And Lower Decks is just a silly cartoon parody of the franchise.

This is simply false. If you watch it, it’s extremely apparent that it’s by people who deeply love Star Trek. The only people that don’t like it are humorless people like Robert Meyer Burnett who treat Star Trek like it’s some religion that needs to be taken super seriously. I highly recommend giving a few episodes a watch.

The problem with "Yesteryear" is that it stands so many miles above even the second-best episode of TAS that it feels like it came in from a different show.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It was that great, yeah.

The problem with "Yesteryear" is that it stands so many miles above even the second-best episode of TAS that it feels like it came in from a different show.

Agreed the other episodes don't stand out, in fact I forget them until I have re watched the Boxset I have.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,021
    Held off on the last few episodes of DISCO, until last night. Pretty good, surprisingly since the first few of the new season kind of left me cold. I don’t think this show ever had anything that would be considered an all timer, but when it’s actually good it’s like putting on a warm blanket.

Burnham being captain solved a lot of issues. Way too much in earlier seasons she would be insubordinate with her superiors which got grating. Nobody seemed to know how to make her a typical maverick protagonist that we always get in Trek and balance that with her being under someone else’s command.

The original idea of focusing on a lieutenant as the main character was pretty novel for Trek, but these writers never quite pulled it off. Might as well just go back to basics. Funnily, the writers on LOWER DECKS have done a much better job by making Mariner that typical maverick but playing it on a different note where it doesn’t always work out and she has to be humbled.
    I have not seen Discovery or the Picard shows. It is on my list though!
    The remaster of THE MOTION PICTURE is looking REALLY sweet so far. I can't wait to get to see the whole thing.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/01/25/preview-of-4k-remastered-star-trek-the-motion-picture-directors-edition-reveals-a-new-level-of-detail/
    The remaster of THE MOTION PICTURE is looking REALLY sweet so far. I can't wait to get to see the whole thing.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/01/25/preview-of-4k-remastered-star-trek-the-motion-picture-directors-edition-reveals-a-new-level-of-detail/

Definitely a must buy for me.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,267
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    We’ll see I guess. Feels like there have been many false starts on this one.
    I don’t know the new director but I’d have been up for Justin Lin returning, I thought he did a great job on Beyond.
    I can't say I am overly enthused by the choice of Director Matt Shankman, who directed WandaVision and Season 7 of GOT. Though I love Trek, they need a good story.
    😂
    I’m more star wars than Star Trek but I did like the original crew films esp 2 and 6.

Picard I tried and I Thought it was a confusing mess. I tire of these remakes that jettison the dna of the original thing that inspired them.

Hard drinking swearing etc. I’m not prudish. It just felt off in the star trek universe to me.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,267
    Star Trek: Picard S2, ep1 I enjoyed it and smiled at call backs, I am just going to go with it and see what happens. The ending was pretty cool though with hindsight Starfleet made an incredibly stupid decision.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I enjoyed that a lot.
    Star Trek: Picard S2, ep1 I enjoyed it and smiled at call backs, I am just going to go with it and see what happens. The ending was pretty cool though with hindsight Starfleet made an incredibly stupid decision.

The series did start very well I am curious where it is going.