Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @QBranch, I'm curious. Was there a plan to shoot footage of Bond actually firing at White while speaking to him on the phone, then they just scrapped it to be the final version we see today where Bond shooting White is left as a surprise?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,165
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I just remembered that I once did a little map graphic about the PTS of Quantum that I posted somewhere else, which might be of interest to you lot as well:

nzte5m2c8sn61.png

It basically charts the real-life locations of the car chase on a map.

1. Villa Gaeta on Lake Como in northern Italy. Strictly speaking not QoS but the ending of CR. Bond shoots Mr. White in the leg after tracking him down via Vesper's phone. Off-screen he presumably dumps him into his boot and gets going.

2. Tunnels on the SR249 at Malcesine (240 km/150 miles, without highways). The opening shots of QoS. Bond is by now getting chased by bad guys in two Alfa Romeos. He loses his driver's side door here. Maybe MI6 transfered White to Lake Garda for an interrogation, before deciding they actually need to go to the safe house in Siena. Maybe Bond was supposed to take White to Bozen, north of Garda, and decided to take the scenic route, before his chasers forced him south. Anyway, he is being chased along the eastern shore of the lake.*

3. Tunnel at Tremosine sul Garda (284 km/175 miles without highways). The chase continues through the very picturesque and memorable tunnel in Tremosine sul Garda on the western shore of Garda. The carabinieri here are very helpful to their colleagues all over the country as upon Bond and one remaining Alfa entering the tunnel they immediatly realize and warn that they are headed for the quarries 300 km to their south.

4. Marble quarries at Massa-Carrara (575 km/357 miles without highways). After driving for 300 km without anything of note happening and Bond making the decision to not go directly to his destination in Siena but to take in some more scenery to the west of the optimal route, we rejoin the chase in the famous marble quarries of Massa-Carrara. Having been warned by their northern colleagues that a car chase is going to come their way in a couple of hours, the carabinieri join the chase, but are swiftly taken out by the remaining Alfa. That car in turn is finally taken care of by Bond and the chase ends.

5. Siena (741 km/460 miles without highways). Bond does a further 166 km/100 miles leisure-drive through beautiful Tuscany with a shot-up car that has no driver's side door and is caked in marble dust to finally get to his destination Siena. Mr. White has been in the boot the entire time and sadly missed all the wonderful scenery 007 got to enjoy (Oh and by the way: That MI6 safehouse is inside Siena's restricted traffic zone, so Bond can expect a hefty fine through the automated toll system at the town gates, unless he somehow got a special permit.).

*To me, the footage looks like they are driving southward on the SR249 with the lake to their right, but all sources I found are unanimously saying the start is on the eastern shore going north. If they were going south, that would strengthen the Bozen theory (he got blocked somewhere around Mezzana and turned south), but then why would he ever turn up on the other side of the lake instead of going straight south?

I am fully aware of how ridiculous this is. I just love this part of Italy and always have to laugh when they drive from the lake straight into the quarry

So did Bond suddenly decide to change suits after he dumped White into the boot?

That's just the case of the films being directed by two different people. Considering the thought that was put behind making Bond's journey match up geographically, what he's wearing while driving is about as unimportant as it gets.

That sounds like a genuinely careless attention to continuity.It’s like Rian Johnson switching Kylo Renns scar from where it was on one side of his face at the end of The Farce Awakens to the other side for The Last Jedi.

@AstonLotus, oh, please. I love that you're comparing a mild change in wardrobe to a scar on a character's face changing position. This is the very definition of a nit-pick, which you can do to literally any aspect of a Bond film. To pretend otherwise is foolish.
    There is precedent here: we all know Thunderball is terrible solely because Leiter's pants keep changing from shorts to long trousers during the helicopter scene. Literally the worst movie ever, all down to continuity.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Minion wrote: »
    I just remembered that I once did a little map graphic about the PTS of Quantum that I posted somewhere else, which might be of interest to you lot as well:

nzte5m2c8sn61.png

1. Villa Gaeta on Lake Como in northern Italy. Strictly speaking not QoS but the ending of CR. Bond shoots Mr. White in the leg after tracking him down via Vesper's phone. Off-screen he presumably dumps him into his boot and gets going.

2. Tunnels on the SR249 at Malcesine (240 km/150 miles, without highways). The opening shots of QoS. Bond is by now getting chased by bad guys in two Alfa Romeos. He loses his driver's side door here. Maybe MI6 transfered White to Lake Garda for an interrogation, before deciding they actually need to go to the safe house in Siena. Maybe Bond was supposed to take White to Bozen, north of Garda, and decided to take the scenic route, before his chasers forced him south. Anyway, he is being chased along the eastern shore of the lake.*

3. Tunnel at Tremosine sul Garda (284 km/175 miles without highways). The chase continues through the very picturesque and memorable tunnel in Tremosine sul Garda on the western shore of Garda. The carabinieri here are very helpful to their colleagues all over the country as upon Bond and one remaining Alfa entering the tunnel they immediatly realize and warn that they are headed for the quarries 300 km to their south.

4. Marble quarries at Massa-Carrara (575 km/357 miles without highways). After driving for 300 km without anything of note happening and Bond making the decision to not go directly to his destination in Siena but to take in some more scenery to the west of the optimal route, we rejoin the chase in the famous marble quarries of Massa-Carrara. Having been warned by their northern colleagues that a car chase is going to come their way in a couple of hours, the carabinieri join the chase, but are swiftly taken out by the remaining Alfa. That car in turn is finally taken care of by Bond and the chase ends.

5. Siena (741 km/460 miles without highways). Bond does a further 166 km/100 miles leisure-drive through beautiful Tuscany with a shot-up car that has no driver's side door and is caked in marble dust to finally get to his destination Siena. Mr. White has been in the boot the entire time and sadly missed all the wonderful scenery 007 got to enjoy (Oh and by the way: That MI6 safehouse is inside Siena's restricted traffic zone, so Bond can expect a hefty fine through the automated toll system at the town gates, unless he somehow got a special permit.).

*To me, the footage looks like they are driving southward on the SR249 with the lake to their right, but all sources I found are unanimously saying the start is on the eastern shore going north. If they were going south, that would strengthen the Bozen theory (he got blocked somewhere around Mezzana and turned south), but then why would he ever turn up on the other side of the lake instead of going straight south?

I am fully aware of how ridiculous this is. I just love this part of Italy and always have to laugh when they drive from the lake straight into the quarry

So did Bond suddenly decide to change suits after he dumped White into the boot?

That's just the case of the films being directed by two different people. Considering the thought that was put behind making Bond's journey match up geographically, what he's wearing while driving is about as unimportant as it gets.

That sounds like a genuinely careless attention to continuity.It’s like Rian Johnson switching Kylo Renns scar from where it was on one side of his face at the end of The Farce Awakens to the other side for The Last Jedi.

@AstonLotus, oh, please. I love that you're comparing a mild change in wardrobe to a scar on a character's face changing position. This is the very definition of a nit-pick, which you can do to literally any aspect of a Bond film. To pretend otherwise is foolish.
    There is precedent here: we all know Thunderball is terrible solely because Leiter's pants keep changing from shorts to long trousers during the helicopter scene. Literally the worst movie ever, all down to continuity.

@Minion, I'll do you one better: when I watch Brosnan's films any scene is ruined if I so much as spot his hair moving even slightly out of place. If his hair slings down in a thick comma on the right, it best be like that THE WHOLE SCENE. Don't even get me started on Sean's hairpieces in his movies always moving about. No consistency at all, and people dare to call him the best Bond of all! Gaaaaah!

;-)

nzte5m2c8sn61.png

The detail here is off the charts. I’ll be looking over this for days. Very cool stuff. Adds a great deal of detail to the opening of QOS. And people knock the editing without mercy. However, the flash editing, cuts, while Bond is initially I’m the Aston Martin are uncanny in my book. You can hear the engine roaring, and the score...just incredible for me. Plus the breathtaking scenery.

nzte5m2c8sn61.png

@Minion, I'll do you one better: when I watch Brosnan's films any scene is ruined if I so much as spot his hair moving even slightly out of place. If his hair slings down in a thick comma on the right, it best be like that THE WHOLE SCENE. Don't even get me started on Sean's hairpieces in his movies always moving about. No consistency at all, and people dare to call him the best Bond of all! Gaaaaah!

;-)

My ribs are hurting laughing from this. Oh my goodness. @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, you are the man! You nailed any points and feelings that I share. :))
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727

nzte5m2c8sn61.png

;-)

:)) agreed.

What the hell did they use to secure Pierce's hair with, especially in GE, it just looks SO impractical - and stays impossibly well coiffed throughout numerous sweaty action set pieces.

Hair & Make-up dep. never had it as busy on Bondfilms as during Brosnan's reign #:-S
    @AceHole, I know it's just hair, but there are certain moments I love in Brosnan's films just because of how his hair looks. Whenever he got that thick hair down in a comma on the side of his face, I instantly think of Fleming's Bond and just smile like a dork. I don't know if how much his hair falls on his right side in a manner close to the literary Bond was ever intentional, but it finds a way to add something special to a scene when it does. Connery and Dalton had moments when their hair did something similar, and it never fails to make me grin.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

nzte5m2c8sn61.png

The detail here is off the charts. I’ll be looking over this for days. Very cool stuff. Adds a great deal of detail to the opening of QOS. And people knock the editing without mercy. However, the flash editing, cuts, while Bond is initially I’m the Aston Martin are uncanny in my book. You can hear the engine roaring, and the score...just incredible for me. Plus the breathtaking scenery.

I don't know if this has to be pointed out, but most of my comments are tongue-in-cheek. There is no way the locations are supposed to be this far away from each other in the universe of the film. Especially the move from the lake to the quarry looks like it is supposed to be basically just on the other side of that tunnel in Tremosine and not a 300 km drive.

And yes, even though there are some problems with the chase in general, the opening shot gliding across the water and then flash-cut to the bonnet of the Aston and *extremely loud* engine noises always makes me sit up straight.
    @ImpertinentGoon, I still find it impressive and interesting, on the whole. I don't expect the route to be exactly down to the minute as to how Bond drives it, but it's cool to me that the geography is as accurate to what we see in snapshots as to what is really there. To me, it's a sign that more consideration was put to designing the chase within the parameters of the shooting location than what you'd expect from another action movie where the scouters just pick cool places to do set pieces regardless of whether the route is remotely close to what the character could conceivably be driving.

Am I crazy for respecting that and thinking it's kind of rad?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 526
    @ImpertinentGoon, I still find it impressive and interesting, on the whole. I don't expect the route to be exactly down to the minute as to how Bond drives it, but it's cool to me that the geography is as accurate to what we see in snapshots as to what is really there. To me, it's a sign that more consideration was put to designing the chase within the parameters of the shooting location than what you'd expect from another action movie where the scouters just pick cool places to do set pieces regardless of whether the route is remotely close to what the character could conceivably be driving.

Yes. This is where I was coming from as well. Plus, just looking up the locations, pics of relative location markers, and so on is also what I was getting at. I understand what are saying about the length etc. But it’s fun and will be cool to research the locations. Offbeat questions: any idea what Mr. White’s house would be worth? That’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen (home included). Looks like his work as a “doctor” paid very well ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @QBranch, I'm curious. Was there a plan to shoot footage of Bond actually firing at White while speaking to him on the phone, then they just scrapped it to be the final version we see today where Bond shooting White is left as a surprise?
    I haven't heard anything about such footage, but needless to say, it would've been cool to see (been hanging for a sniper scene for ages), but not if it meant losing the surprise you mention of White being shot.
    If you google 'Casino Royale ump', you'll see the image of Craig holding the gun while wearing sunglasses, which looks as though they may have filmed additional footage on White's property.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Yes. This is where I was coming from as well. Plus, just looking up the locations, pics of relative location markers, and so on is also what I was getting at. I understand what are saying about the length etc. But it’s fun and will be cool to research the locations. Offbeat questions: any idea what Mr. White’s house would be worth? That’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen (home included). Looks like his work as a “doctor” paid very well ;)

Information is a bit scattered and sometimes contradictory, but it seems like the Villa was seperated into several appartments in the 1980s. One page says there are 22 apartments in there, which seems a ridiculously high number. At least one of those apartments can be rented for short stays at about 250 € per night.
    Imagine coming to your holiday rental and a guy gets shot in the leg on the front porch and then thrown into a car boot :-O

Information is a bit scattered and sometimes contradictory, but it seems like the Villa was seperated into several appartments in the 1980s. One page says there are 22 apartments in there, which seems a ridiculously high number. At least one of those apartments can be rented for short stays at about 250 € per night.
    Imagine coming to your holiday rental and a guy gets shot in the leg on the front porch and then thrown into a car boot :-O

:)) Yes, that would probably deter any future stays
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Did I find a major plot hole?

Question: How does Camille know Bond? She just invites him to her car without meeting prior? And how does she know where exactly he'd be?

Then, she immediately shoots at him over a misunderstanding. If she knew about who he was prior, she would've known that he wasn't actually trying to kill her. If she didn't research who he was, then how did she know where to find him?

Also, how two dimensional does a hitman character have to be to carry a briefcase with just a gun and a picture in it? And how does Camille miss at point blank?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    Did I find a major plot hole?

Question: How does Camille know Bond? She just invites him to her car without meeting prior? And how does she know where exactly he'd be?

Then, she immediately shoots at him over a misunderstanding. If she knew about who he was prior, she would've known that he wasn't actually trying to kill her. If she didn't research who he was, then how did she know where to find him?

Also, how two dimensional does a hitman character have to be to carry a briefcase with just a gun and a picture in it? And how does Camille miss at point blank?

Bond is at the right place at the right time; where Camille was meant to meet the contractor (in front of the hotel he was staying at).

It's a misunderstanding, but one involving a gun and a photo of her, so it's a pretty enormous misunderstanding.

Two dimensional? Maybe. But it's just Slate, he's in the film for one minute. It felt Bondian enough to me.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember Bond deftly handle nearly being shot at point blank range. I don't remember this feeling odd at all.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT: " If she knew about who he was prior, she would've known that he wasn't actually trying to kill her." She didn't know this man as Bond, she knew him as a contractor set up to meet with Camille, by Greene.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,923
    Ok, Camille's gone to meet a geologist who can tell her more about the area that Quantum have been investigating. Greene's found out about it and has called in Slate, a Quantum assassin, to kill her. Slate's taken the geologist and given him to Greene, who's had him killed and thrown in the harbour. Slate's now impersonating the geologist so that he can get close enough to Camille to kill her. Reading between the lines, Slate probably rang Camille to arrange the rendezvous at the hotel and described himself - blonde, white Westerner - so she'll know who to look for. After that, Bond's killed Slate and taken his jacket to cover the signs of the fight in order not to look suspicious as he leaves the hotel. But the receptionist sees a blonde white Westerner in Slate's clothes, thinks Bond is Slate and hands him the package with the gun and photo. Camille then sees Bond outside the hotel - blonde, white Westerner - and thinks that he's the geologist she's come to meet ('You don't look like a geologist'). Something like that, anyway!
    Venutius wrote: »
    Ok, Camille's gone to meet a geologist who can tell her more about the area that Quantum have been investigating. Greene's found out about it and has called in Slate, a Quantum assassin, to kill her. Slate's taken the geologist and given him to Greene, who's had him killed and thrown in the harbour. Slate's gone to the hotel with the intention of impersonating the geologist so that he can get close enough to Camille to kill her. Readig between the lines, Slate probably rang Camille to arrange the rendezvous and described what he looked like - blonde, white Westerner - so she'll know him: Bond's killed Slate and taken his jacket to cover the blood on his shirt. The hotel receptionist sees a blonde white Westerner in Slate's clothes, thinks Bond is Slate and hands him the package with the gun and photo. Camille sees Bond - blonde, white Westerner - and also think's he's Slate/the geologist. Something like that, anyway!

Yep, checks out to me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Ok, Camille's gone to meet a geologist who can tell her more about the area that Quantum have been investigating. Greene's found out about it and has called in Slate, a Quantum assassin, to kill her. Slate's taken the geologist and given him to Greene, who's had him killed and thrown in the harbour. Slate's now impersonating the geologist so that he can get close enough to Camille to kill her. Reading between the lines, Slate probably rang Camille to arrange the rendezvous at the hotel and described himself - blonde, white Westerner - so she'll know who to look for. Bond's killed Slate and taken his jacket to cover the signs of the fight in order not look suspicious as he leaves the hotel. The receptionist sees a blonde white Westerner in Slate's clothes, thinks Bond is Slate and hands him the package with the gun and photo. Camille then sees Bond - blonde, white Westerner - and thinks that he's the geologist she's come to meet ('You don't look like a geologist'). Something like that, anyway!

Great explanation 👍
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ok, Camille's gone to meet a geologist who can tell her more about the area that Quantum have been investigating. Greene's found out about it and has called in Slate, a Quantum assassin, to kill her. Slate's taken the geologist and given him to Greene, who's had him killed and thrown in the harbour. Slate's now impersonating the geologist so that he can get close enough to Camille to kill her. Reading between the lines, Slate probably rang Camille to arrange the rendezvous at the hotel and described himself - blonde, white Westerner - so she'll know who to look for. After that, Bond's killed Slate and taken his jacket to cover the signs of the fight in order not to look suspicious as he leaves the hotel. But the receptionist sees a blonde white Westerner in Slate's clothes, thinks Bond is Slate and hands him the package with the gun and photo. Camille then sees Bond - blonde, white Westerner - and thinks that he's the geologist she's come to meet ('You don't look like a geologist'). Something like that, anyway!

You get the no-prize!
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Deleted
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just dropping by to see if my pal @chrisisall has moved in here yet.
    Yep, I see he has. Plenty of popcorn, brought his sleeping bag. Very good, Chris. ;)

I do like some part of QOS very much - just not certain technical/craft aspects of it. Fine acting throughout, though.
    @Creasy47 @Univex

As promised, my final paper submission of an ecocritical look at Quantum of Solace:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a0bdd020-3a34-43d7-a98c-132cc20b52b6#pageNum=1
    Note: I do NOT hate the movie at all - I absolutely love it X) but I had to be critical of specific elements which was the purpose here haha.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @Creasy47 @Univex

As promised, my final paper submission of an ecocritical look at Quantum of Solace:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a0bdd020-3a34-43d7-a98c-132cc20b52b6#pageNum=1
    Note: I do NOT hate the movie at all - I absolutely love it X) but I had to be critical of specific elements which was the purpose here haha.

Beautiful stuff, I'm glad you remembered to link us! Can't wait to read it later. And kudos to you for remaining objective when it calls for it (something I'm incapable of doing with this film, I have way too much bias and love for it to be that sane and level-headed).
    Really interesting video which takes a look at QOS in depth and examines what went wrong with it.Bear in mind this is NOT as much a hate/bashing video but a genuine look at what the film did wrong and the editor points out what the filmmakers could have done to make it better.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I know that Christensen didn’t want to return, and seemed kind of nasty about it or I recall. Anyone remember more about it?
    Guess the money persuaded him, because he was quite vehement at the time:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8330&t=mi6&s=news

Luckily, he, or Eon, realized he was the most interesting character in the Craig era still alive after QoS and included him in SP.

He should have been Blofeld, though (if you want to keep Oberhauser, make him Mr. White's Largo). It all would have made more sense.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 538
    Things I Like About Quantum
    1. Craig looks badass in the promo pics for this film. The scars, dirt, spiked hair, distressed eyes and all. They really went all out.
    2. The opening shot of the water
    3. In the vein of Casino Royale, the plot is believable and relevant to our modern world. The plots of the next films would get more ridiculous.
    4. Continuing right off the heels of Casino Royale in the same location gives me goosebumps.
    5. The set pieces (including the fight where they crash into the glass building with the ropes)
    6. Amalric's acting is super underrated here. Greene's weird mannerisms, creepy demeanor, It's a perfect balance between being a psychopath, yet also able to conceal it and be subtle about it, that makes him similar to the actual villains of the world.
    7. Greene having funny moments (i.e. flailing around an axe, and his goofy bug-eyed facial expressions)
    8. "If you wanted Le Chiffre's soul, you should've found a priest"
    9. Craig's body is at its best here. Fit and toned. Not as much meathead as CR.
    10. Craig aged noticeably in Skyfall, so this is the last we see of young Craig. And his hair looks great (before they buzzed it off in Skyfall). I have a mancrush on Craig.
    11. The film's portrayal as the CIA as being willing to cooperate with dictators and easily fooled is accurate
    12. MI-6 headquarters gets a futuristic high-tech makeover
    13. Strawberry Fields is pretty and charming. Craig had good chemistry with her.
    14. Medrano is perfectly cast as a dictator wannabe.
    15. The Tozsca opera scenes
    16. Elvis as the goofy comic relief. (He doesn't have much screentime, so even if you don't like him, he doesn't interrupt the film much)
    17. Plot twist: it's the water. not the oil.
    18. Camille is the perfect counterpart to Craig's Bond. Easily one of the best female leads in the entire series.
    19. Romance isn't forced between Bond and Camille. The ending of their relationship feels genuine and believeable.
    20. Bond killing the police chief - "You and I had a mutual friend!"
    21. Greene's demise is one of the more memorable ones in the series
    22. Camille's backstory, and getting payback on Medrano is satisfying. It ties into together well, as Craig is also simultaneously fighting Greene.
    23. Bond's witty and sarcastic quips (i.e. "Can I offer an opinion. I really think you people should find a better place to meet")
    24. "I was just wondering what South America would look like if nobody gave a damn about coke and communism"
    25. Felix Leiter returns (and has sizable role, unlike NTTD)
    26. The film doesn't run on too long
    27. Quantum of Solace is a badass title for a film. Wins on the uniqueness scale.
    28. Quantum is a cool name for an organization too. I like the mystique behind it. Letting the viewer interpret the organization's identity and goals was better than making it a pathetic spectre subsidiary....
    29. Bond's confrontation with Vesper's boyfriend, the ending in the snow and the necklace.
    30. Many of the most beautiful exotic locations in the whole series
    31. The chaotic production of this film (writers strike) combined with the choppy editing gives it a mystique.
    32. QoS is willing to break away from the Bond formula. It doesn't try to force unnecessary things (i.e. gadgets, moneypenny scenes) that aren't needed for the film.
    33. It pushed the limit of how serious and grounded a Bond film could be. Not every Bond film should be serious; there's plenty of room for fun ones, but (like with LTK) it's nice to see a really dark one every now and then.
    34. The gunbarrel's fast and angry pace fits the movie. Coming at the end, it signifies a closed chapter. And Craig walking out of it is a nice twist to it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Outstanding, MI6Cart - agree with every single point. 👍
    An interesting watch

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Quantum of Solace, I find it rewatchable,

1. I have no problem with the theme song, I liked it, in fact I can listen to it many times, much better than No Time To Die (dare I say it).
    2. Camille is one of my favorite bond girls, much better than Madeleine Swann for sure as a match for Craig's Bond.
    3. Craig at his prime here, no "too old for this crap", no "retired" thing. He is serious, cold hearted assassin, gritty.
    4. As David Zaritsky (Bond Experience) said, this film has all the elements of a bond film, moreso than Licence To Kill, as David said, after watching it, he will go outside whistling the James Bond theme, and very confident, because Bond is doing bondian things.
    5. It left me wondering what Diamonds Are Forever could have been, if they went down this route.
    6. All in all, it's not one of the worst bond films like the critics or the people making out to be.

• Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited May 2022 Posts: 554
    QoS fans, I'd be interested to hear your perspective on this. One thing that's always bugged me about the film is the way they seem to change framing with the final line of "I never left." It's a good line, but I think it's pretty clear the film tries to show him being almost blinded by anger and grief for most of it, only for them to imply he was always committed to the mission?

Then there's how it matches up with the end of CR, and how the end of that film is supposed to be the big 'Bond as we know him' moment, complete with the line and theme. But then QoS immediately goes for the affirmationed angle and it undercuts it somewhat. Again, I love the last scene of QoS on it's own, but it doesn't come together for me in context. Yeah yeah, I know, Writer's Strike, but I was wondering if anybody has a Watsonian explanation.