Batman

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Back in 2016, after watching the boring and bad mess BATMAN VS SUPERMAN (and the lame and dull MAN OF STEEL in 2013), I originally deciced to boycot SC Comics movies (JOKER is not really DC), but the trailers and reviews made me change my decision, so I will give it a chance and watch it this Thursday.
    But all this JUSTICE LEAGE, Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE, SUICIDE SQUAD and now apparently a SUICIDE SQUAD reboot, that's rather weird.

IMO, MOS is an awesome film. The longer cut of BVS is an awesome film too IMO. The Snyder Cut of JL is an awesome film IMO. WW may very well be the best film in the Snyderverse. SS could have been a great movie if the suits hadn't gotten involved. The recent SS, Birds Of Prey, Shazam, ... all work very well in my book. In fact, I've had a good time so far with all of these films since MOS, with the exception of the first SS and WW1984. Joker is something else entirely, but a bloody great film. The Batman is the best DC film I've seen since 2008.
    The Batman is the best DC film I've seen with this character since Michael Keaton, and this dark movie certainly is better called Dark Knight than the Nolan vehicle.
    And Pattison does deliver and brings his own fans to the cinema as well, which turns the folks at DC en WB into smart people.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Back in 2016, after watching the boring and bad mess BATMAN VS SUPERMAN (and the lame and dull MAN OF STEEL in 2013), I originally deciced to boycot SC Comics movies (JOKER is not really DC), but the trailers and reviews made me change my decision, so I will give it a chance and watch it this Thursday.
    But all this JUSTICE LEAGE, Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE, SUICIDE SQUAD and now apparently a SUICIDE SQUAD reboot, that's rather weird.

IMO, MOS is an awesome film. The longer cut of BVS is an awesome film too IMO. The Snyder Cut of JL is an awesome film IMO. WW may very well be the best film in the Snyderverse. SS could have been a great movie if the suits hadn't gotten involved. The recent SS, Birds Of Prey, Shazam, ... all work very well in my book. In fact, I've had a good time so far with all of these films since MOS, with the exception of the first SS and WW1984. Joker is something else entirely, but a bloody great film. The Batman is the best DC film I've seen since 2008.

I saw MoS blind in theaters that summer and loved it. I need to revisit that one sometime soon, see how it holds up.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I saw MoS blind in theaters that summer and loved it. I need to revisit that one sometime soon, see how it holds up.

It holds up very well, IMO. I love what they have done with the Superman character. He is portrayed as an angsty tween who turns into a godlike saviour. There's a key moment in the film when he funnels all his strength while in a beam of light bright as the Sun, accompanied by Zimmer's music reaching full "apotheosis". I have tears in my eyes every time I see this.

I furthermore find Cavill a competent Superman. Then again, I got over Reeve's passing long before seeing this film. There were people in my theatre who shouted that Reeve should have played Superman one more time. Uhm... I don't think they were keeping track of things... So yeah, people who cling to the notion that there will never be another Superman if Reeve's isn't coming back, shouldn't watch this film. The rest of us who have moved on and are willing to accept another Superman should judge Cavill as Superman, not as Reeve's replacement. And Cavill is committed! The behind-the-scenes material makes it clear that this guy worked hard, very hard, in fact, much harder (physically speaking) than Robert Pattinson for The Batman. I think he looks the part, I think he acts well. I think he's a great Superman.

And then there's the "Superman doesn't kill" nonsense. He doesn't beat up baddies until they bleed to death, sure. But with Zod destroying entire cities, Supes can keep fighting, or he can think outside the box. There's "killing" and then there's "killing". He's none too pleased about it, but taking out Zod was a necessary sacrifice to save an innocent family. And this little detail has been driving some people insane over the years because "Superman doesn't kill!". No, Superman conveniently hadn't had to kill before. But he's facing a difficult dilemma now, and making a choice, even if there isn't a good choice, is part of his coming-of-age ritual. And since they built on that twist in BVS, it actually makes a lot of sense to go there, especially in times like these. Also, Supes doesn't kill humans perhaps. Well, Zod isn't human. But I digress. Maybe the time has come to consider the possibility that Superman must make difficult decisions sometimes. After all, Batman doesn't kill either, but either through action or inaction did he allow or cause Joker ('89), Penguin ('92), Two-Face ('95) and a truck driver ('12) to die. Let's not go there. The "X doesn't kill" rule doesn't mean that X can't kill under very specific circumstances.

I applaud Snyder for taking a couple of things a few steps further. People were so angry when Superman Returns channelled the Donner movies too much. Yet when MOS tried something else, people were angry too. I guess WB simply shouldn't make any more Superman films then since whatever they do, it's never going to be good enough. People will always be angry that the clocks didn't stop ticking in 1978.

Not me, though. See, I love the '78 film. I'm okay with the Donner Cut of S2. But S3 and S4 are insultingly bad, moronic films, lost in confusion. MOS is to them what The Dark Knight is to B4Ever and B&R, at least in my opinion. I really dig the look of MOS, the story, the characters and the cast, the action, the music, the whole thing! Adams' Lois is an upgrade from Kidder's. Kidder was cute and all in 1978, and she was a good Lois for the '70s. But in 2013... no, we don't go for that type anymore. As with Bond, things evolve. They change. It's that, or you can choose the more "timeless" approach like The Batman, although that film too toys with tech from now, not from yesterday. I'm a fan of MOS. The film worked for me. And I won't apologise for it.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,394
    Yeah I tend to prefer DC over Marvel these days.Movies like the Snyder trilogy ( the uncut ones ),the first WW,Joker ( Yes it is DC ),Aquaman,The Suicide Squad,and the latest Batman all have a nice variety and don’t look like they just came off the same formulaic assembly line like the MCU films.

The MCU has a more cohesive universe than DC,but they are very kiddy friendly.MCU would never be able to make more adult content like Joker, and the uncut BVS.

If only the suits at DC would have let Snyder do his thing,we would have had a second JL by now and Afflecks solo Batman movie as well as proper MOS sequels ( Cavill is easily the best Superman since Reeve and WB have totally wasted him ).
    Random thought about The Batman / No Time to Die, will put in spoilers just in case.
    I was immediately reminded of Safin when Falcone dropped the “you made me do this” line! What is with villains melodramatically saying this? Like what are they even trying to accomplish, deflecting their own actions and putting fake guilt on the heroes? XD
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Random thought about The Batman / No Time to Die, will put in spoilers just in case.
    I was immediately reminded of Safin when Falcone dropped the “you made me do this” line! What is with villains melodramatically saying this? Like what are they even trying to accomplish, deflecting their own actions and putting fake guilt on the heroes? XD

for me the moent that reminded me about No time to die
    In The Batman, Spiderman No Way Home and No time to Die we end on this depressing moment be it Bond dying Spiderman losing everyone who loved him or all of Gotham being Under water.... I just don't get the trend of ending movies being depressing. its something I hope Bond 26, whether they follow the trend of brining an older actor back or not, bucks the trend and ends on a happy note
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Clint Eastwood could have been a good Batman, couldn t he?

More recently, if it were for Voice Acting, for an animated Batman or Lego Batman. In person ? In Which year ? Big difference in Clint from 1966 to 1972 to more recently...not his fault, it's the way it goes, but cannot tell from your musing which year or decade you might have in mind.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I always wanted to see an older version of the Dark Knight played by Eastwood. One in his mid to late 60s. Grizzled veteran of the streets of Gotham. Alfred's long gone; same with Gordon. Robin, if there ever was a Robin in this imaginary version, was killed decades before. Bruce Wayne is a recluse, but will once in a while, appear at a big fundraiser. He's not a Howard Hughes-type, but it's accepted that as Bruce got older, his playboy status started to fade, and he's far too busy running his foundations behind the gates of Wayne Manor.
    And as The Batman, he's a growling monster of the night. He's bulkier and slower, but he has the blunt force of an aged lion and is so calloused (physically and emotionally), he's able to absorb more and more pain....
    peter wrote: »
    I always wanted to see an older version of the Dark Knight played by Eastwood. One in his mid to late 60s. Grizzled veteran of the streets of Gotham. Alfred's long gone; same with Gordon. Robin, if there ever was a Robin in this imaginary version, was killed decades before. Bruce Wayne is a recluse, but will once in a while, appear at a big fundraiser. He's not a Howard Hughes-type, but it's accepted that as Bruce got older, his playboy status started to fade, and he's far too busy running his foundations behind the gates of Wayne Manor.
    And as The Batman, he's a growling monster of the night. He's bulkier and slower, but he has the blunt force of an aged lion and is so calloused (physically and emotionally), he's able to absorb more and more pain....

I dont think Clint was a fan of these type of movies! It was reported recently that he talked his son out of accepting a part in Suicide Squad 2!
    Eastwood in a live-action Dark Knight Returns could have been glorious.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

I can see why IRL the suits would turn this down (sequels! McMeals and McToys!!!!), but I think this would have made an interesting film…

• edited March 2022 Posts: 616
    Eastwood was the top choice to play Two-Face on the Adam West series, until it was decided that the character would be too gruesome for television.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Villains aren't exactly known for holding themselves accountable for their own actions. If they're not blindly evil then to some degree they at least have a warped sense of self righteousness , satisfying their logic to justify their actions.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,394

He never would have done it.Clint stayed away from fantasy and science fiction movies his whole career ( The closest he came was Firefox ).He certainly never would have done a comic book film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's not about whether he'd do it, it's a simple "what if", and, as @talos7 pointed out, the Hughes brothers had envisioned him as an older Dark Knight.... I think conceptually it would have been very cool.

Hopefully Keaton's return will have some of these ideas implemented...
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,544
    I have always thought that Clooney could make a good 'Dark Knight Returns' Batman. He's a great actor who looks the part; he has aged with dignity and grace.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have always thought that Clooney could make a good 'Dark Knight Returns' Batman. He's a great actor who looks the part; he has aged with dignity and grace.

Clooney was not the problem with "Batman and Robin"; he did a fine job. His scenes with an ailing Alfred are some of the best in any Batman film.

Clooney’s lingering back injury (which he got during the making of SYRIANA) would prevent him from playing Batman again, even if he wanted to.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Clooney’s lingering back injury (which he got during the making of SYRIANA) would prevent him from playing Batman again, even if he wanted to.

The Backman

Here's some dialogue, borrowing from another aging actor and role: "It's not the years, it's the back, man."
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

You know, that when Darren Aronofsky was about to do the Batman reboot (which then became Nolan's BB), he suggested Clint Eastwood to play Batman. If he was jokning, I don't know, but WB did not react to well about this. Then he suggested Joaquin Phoenix ... or ... Christian Bale to play Batman, but his screenplay was rejected by WB.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2022 Posts: 45,489
    talos7 wrote: »

I didn t know that. Would have been awesome, although I pictured him in the role much earlier.

You know, that when Darren Aronofsky was about to do the Batman reboot (which then became Nolan's BB), he suggested Clint Eastwood to play Batman. If he was jokning, I don't know, but WB did not react to well about this. Then he suggested Joaquin Phoenix ... or ... Christian Bale to play Batman, but his screenplay was rejected by WB.

Would have been great as well. Aronofsky has done some swell stuff.
    Half a billion dollars, folks! Keep buying those tickets. Had my third viewing yesterday.
    Loved it.

First half was near perfect - lost a little bit of interest in the third quarter before the finale.

I think would of been a strong 9 or 10 for me if somehow they could trim 30 mins.

Score was ace, film and direction was superb too - Seven vibes also came to mind.

Only criticism for me (and I say this very lightly) was that I thought the end action sequence could of been a bit more held back from Marvel territory and maybe the flying section kind of felt a tiny out of place with this take on Batman. I didnt like Wayne Manors interior either for some reason.

The batmobile was great and the sound insane!

Will watch again in a few weeks
    Having seen the film three times now, I can safety say that I am absolutely sure this is the Batman film I have been waiting for for years!
    Having seen the film three times now, I can safety say that I am absolutely sure this is the Batman film I have been waiting for for years!

My second showing is hopefully thursday