Batman

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They definitely did Freeze very well in the Arkham games, but Michael Ansara's stoic performance in Heart Of Ice tops every version of Freeze I have ever come across. And I'd argue that Ed Brubaker gave us a pretty scary Freeze in the first two issues Gotham Central, arguably one of the best DC titles I have ever read. From these and other takes on Freeze, I can definitely see a tragic, menacing and believable villain for the Reeves films.

I don't hate what Arnold did. He worked with the material they gave him for their "toyetic" campiness. But yeah, once is enough.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    They definitely did Freeze very well in the Arkham games, but Michael Ansara's stoic performance in Heart Of Ice tops every version of Freeze I have ever come across. And I'd argue that Ed Brubaker gave us a pretty scary Freeze in the first two issues Gotham Central, arguably one of the best DC titles I have ever read. From these and other takes on Freeze, I can definitely see a tragic, menacing and believable villain for the Reeves films.

I don't hate what Arnold did. He worked with the material they gave him for their "toyetic" campiness. But yeah, once is enough.

Ahhhhhnuld's performance was entirely in sync with that which the Batman films had become. That's what they wanted, and that's what they got. Anyone in that last film doing anything serious would have stuck out like a sore thumb - as with the dramatic aspects of Alfred's story in that film. A shame, too, because some fine actors who could have given wonderful performances in the subsequent "serious" Batman films were "spent" and could not now return, unless the current crew figures the older films are far enough back there in the rear-view mirror. Clooney could portray a sleazy politician or businessman quite well, even now. Arnold certainly can play menacing and serious, and now he's capable of adding the maturity factor to it, but a mature guy who's still physically imposing. Uma Thurman ? She is unique, and can present someone who is both attractive yet evil at once. Anywho, I doubt any actors from the past films, even the Nolan serious Batman films, would be brought back in any capacity, even were they interested.
    Again the following villains have never appeared in a batman film

Hugo Strange
    Clayface
    Maxie Zeus
    Hush
    Cornelius’s Steark
    Deacon Blackfire
    Ventriloquist
    The court of owls
    Man-bat
    Jane Doe

I just am shocked as many of the above would feet Reeves creepy horror element
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The main villain of the sequel may be Hush and they already teased him in the film.
    In the film, the Riddler revealed that Thomas Wayne and Falcone were both involved in the murder of a journalist named Edward Elliot, the father of Tommy Elliot aka Hush.

It's also cool that the sequel will likely be set up in a post apocalyptic Gotham City, a theme Reeves already explored in his two Apes films.

The-Batman---s-Next-Villain-Could-Be-Bruce-Wayne---s-Best-Friend.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500&dpr=1.5
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That Joker scene was terrible. And Reeves’ description of this Joker’s backstory being the result of a genetic deformity rather than a chemical reaction sounds terrible. I’m on board with Reeves on everything he did with THE BATMAN, except for his take on The Joker. I’m glad it was deleted. I want the Clown Prince of Crime, not Joker looking like Jeff Goldblum from THE FLY
    That Joker scene was terrible. And Reeves’ description of this Joker’s backstory being the result of a genetic deformity rather than a chemical reaction sounds terrible. I’m on board with Reeves on everything he did with THE BATMAN, except for his take on The Joker. I’m glad it was deleted. I want the Clown Prince of Crime, not Joker looking like Jeff Goldblum from THE FLY

Agreed !
  • That Joker scene was terrible. And Reeves’ description of this Joker’s backstory being the result of a genetic deformity rather than a chemical reaction sounds terrible. I’m on board with Reeves on everything he did with THE BATMAN, except for his take on The Joker. I’m glad it was deleted. I want the Clown Prince of Crime, not Joker looking like Jeff Goldblum from THE FLY

The makeup really did not work for me. It made me think of Two-Face rather than Joker, but the fact it was only on the bottom half of the face and vaguely in the form of a smile made me wonder if they were going for Joker or for some other Batman villain entirely that I wasn't thinking of. If the intention was to excite the audience with a Joker cameo, the effect was lost on me. It just made me wonder who the character was supposed to be.
    A little restless now. The Batman has yet to get to 700 mill but The Lost City is taking the lead. I was hoping for a bit more dough although evidently the film is already a big success in my opinion.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The Batman is doing pretty good at the box-office, without mentioning that it suffered a lot from COVID shutdowns in China and South Korea. The war in Ukraine will cost $30+M to the film as well.
    In the US the film bested Homecoming, BvS, Guardians 1, Joker and Aquaman.
    I’m quite impressed by this performance since it’s a dark, slow, melancholy 3 hours detective story with little action.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    They really need to stop using Joker.Batman has other villains in his rogues gallery that have not been used folks!

I've been saying that for years now. I'm no Batman nerd but I've played the games and know of the history and there are so many incredible villains that haven't gotten a single screen appearance ever. I'd love to see someone tackle something new and fresh.

Having said that, I've still not seen The Batman but I'm hoping I can check it out in theaters this weekend if it's still playing nearby.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think bringing in Joker with every new iteration is inevitable, so I can’t be upset over that. He’s the most popular villain, it would feel wasted NOT to bring him up at some point. I think as long as it’s balanced with bringing in villains that haven’t been used before on screen then it’s just fine. The Nolan films could have just stuck to the same villains that had already been used in the Burton/Schumacher films, but they brought in villains we hadn’t seen before. Matt Reeves should consider bringing unused screen villains.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Saw The Batman for the first time with my son yesterday. I absolutely loved it. Strong cast with no weak links. Solid story, and visually appealing. And that score. Wow!
    On the way home we were discussing who the villain in the next film could be, although it seemed to tease the Joker with his brief scene with the Riddler, I do wonder if that could be a ruse. Maybe the Joker was caught by Batman in his first year of donning the cape, which is why the Joker is in Arkham.
    As has been mentioned by @matt_u the villain Hush would make a great follow up villain to this film. Although the Joker will likely get his turn, it would be refreshing to see Batman go up against a villain that isn't so familiar to audiences.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I see the film is going to hit HBO Max in just two weeks already so that'll likely be the first time I see it then. I'm really looking forward to discussing it finally.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Benny wrote: »
    Saw The Batman for the first time with my son yesterday. I absolutely loved it. Strong cast with no weak links. Solid story, and visually appealing. And that score. Wow!
    On the way home we were discussing who the villain in the next film could be, although it seemed to tease the Joker with his brief scene with the Riddler, I do wonder if that could be a ruse. Maybe the Joker was caught by Batman in his first year of donning the cape, which is why the Joker is in Arkham.
    As has been mentioned by @matt_u the villain Hush would make a great follow up villain to this film. Although the Joker will likely get his turn, it would be refreshing to see Batman go up against a villain that isn't so familiar to audiences.

That's exactly the case. Watch the deleted Joker scene. It's fantastic.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I see the film is going to hit HBO Max in just two weeks already so that'll likely be the first time I see it then. I'm really looking forward to discussing it finally.

I wonder if the film can reach 800 million BO. Once streaming begins, those numbers go down fast, no? If so, I wonder how profitable the film will have been for WB eventually. Not that I'm that concerned, really. It's an amazing film, and already a critical success. I'm sure there will be more film films in this run. And that's good because I really want to spend some time in this Gotham with this Batman and these villains.
    Revelator wrote: »

Was this the episode where Joker taped over the recording of Lifestyles of the Orphaned and Privileged Batman was waiting to see?

Joker : Batman , Batman , Batman.....how many rivers have you crossed IN America ?

None , as in zero , as in you have never crossed a river IN America ?

Batman , with greek accent : That is correct , Cousin Joker
    A few weeks ago my favourite podcast (NowPlayingPodcast) did a small "who's your favourite Batman" poll. The results:
    1. Christian Bale (34.1%)
    2. Michael Keaton (26.4%)
    3. Kevin Conroy (13%)
    4. Robert Pattinson (11.5%)
    5. Ben Affleck (6.3%)
    6. Adam West (3.8%)
    7. Will Arnett (3.4%)
    8. George Clooney (1%)
    9. Val Kilmer (0.5%)

Now they did the same thing with Joker:
    1. Heath Ledger - 65.3%
    2. Mark Hamill - 14.7%
    3. Jack Nicholson - 13.3%
    4. Joaquin Phoenix - 5.3%
    5. Jared Leto - 0.7%
    6. Barry Keoghan - 0.7%
    7. Cesar Romero - 0%

I find these results rather interesting.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,897
    The Joker placements don't surprise me, although the Batman ones do. I think it's more the fact that the Nolan films are rather popular. Perhaps this is just me applying my own personal opinion onto it too - I thought Bale's performances as Wayne in his last two were hit or miss. His Batman was solid, although as everyone points out the voice became a bit distracting as time wore on. Kilmer's rather low as well (then again Clooney did have some good moments as Wayne, despite the film he was in).

I'm a big fan of Pattinson's portrayal personally, as well as Keaton's, but having grown up watching the Animated Series Conroy would be near the top for me insofar as you can count him alongside the live action actors.

I wonder if the film can reach 800 million BO. Once streaming begins, those numbers go down fast, no? If so, I wonder how profitable the film will have been for WB eventually. Not that I'm that concerned, really. It's an amazing film, and already a critical success. I'm sure there will be more film films in this run. And that's good because I really want to spend some time in this Gotham with this Batman and these villains.

Remember that Batman Begins did solid but not spectacular numbers at the box office.The stink from the Schumacher era was still there in 2005 and critical success was more important.After that,people were primed for The Dark Knight and the series went stellar.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Remember that Batman Begins did solid but not spectacular numbers at the box office.The stink from the Schumacher era was still there in 2005 and critical success was more important.After that,people were primed for The Dark Knight and the series went stellar.

True! By the same token, studios seem more eager than ever these days to pull the plug when a film doesn't bring in Avengers money.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,340
    Lo
    I am watching The Batman tomorrow, just listening to the score for the second time omg, its incredible.
    I see what you did there, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.
    200w.gif?cid=82a1493b374yjw7q7ewau7lzpjyo80ymp975mwn5ph8iql97&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Those two scores were amazing (The Incredibles), alas still not seen The Batman so been avoiding this thread for the most part.
    A few weeks ago my favourite podcast (NowPlayingPodcast) did a small "who's your favourite Batman" poll. The results:
    1. Christian Bale (34.1%)
    2. Michael Keaton (26.4%)
    3. Kevin Conroy (13%)
    4. Robert Pattinson (11.5%)
    5. Ben Affleck (6.3%)
    6. Adam West (3.8%)
    7. Will Arnett (3.4%)
    8. George Clooney (1%)
    9. Val Kilmer (0.5%)

Now they did the same thing with Joker:
    1. Heath Ledger - 65.3%
    2. Mark Hamill - 14.7%
    3. Jack Nicholson - 13.3%
    4. Joaquin Phoenix - 5.3%
    5. Jared Leto - 0.7%
    6. Barry Keoghan - 0.7%
    7. Cesar Romero - 0%

I find these results rather interesting.

With Conroy so high and Romero so low this poll indicates more the age of the people polled than the popularity of the actor's interpretations themselves.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Leto above Romero is ridiculous.
    batman1966-batman.gif
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 9,770
    batman1966-batman.gif

I will say this Newmar, Romero and Gorshin are the only villain actors who could of done the dark serious batman as well as the comedic one.

with West I wonder if he could of done dark and serious
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Risico007 wrote: »
    batman1966-batman.gif

I will say this Newmar, Romero and Gorshin are the only villain actors who could of done the dark serious batman as well as the comedic one.

Batman with surfer shorts over his costume-how much darker can it get?
    batman1966-batman.gif

Plastic nipples? ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    batman1966-batman.gif

Plastic nipples? ;-)

Yeah, that s insane as well.
    Eartha Kitt and Lee Meriwether both could have performed well in a serious Batman, too. However, in 1966 there was no chance of such a Batman.
    I would think West would have done well as a more serious Batman, perhaps The Dark Knight Returns, Jill St John would make a great (older) Carrie Kelly...
    6ff1934f269a3a500eb8fe706bfe6ded.jpg
    I would think West would have done well as a more serious Batman, perhaps The Dark Knight Returns, Jill St John would make a great (older) Carrie Kelly...
    6ff1934f269a3a500eb8fe706bfe6ded.jpg

Oh wow! I would have said 'no!' if I hadn't seen this lovely image.