The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I love Syd Cain's sets, especially for the voodoo ceremony.
    Kananga's underground lair is great, too.
    I love the fight with Tee Hee.
    ............and we get Baron Samedi having the last laugh.
    Superb ending to a superb Bond movie.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I saw it in the theater when I was 11 years old. It's never fallen below 7 in my rankings.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I saw it in the theater when I was 11 years old. It's never fallen below 7 in my rankings.

I finally got to see it in a theater about 20 years ago. Very clean print with an old United Artists Transamerica logo. Wonderful!
    Great read as always @ToTheRight, still a great watch for me, has terrific set pieces, and memorable set of villains!
    Thanks, @Mathis1! I finally started a normal M-F work schedule last week so I should have more time to post comments and indulge in my Bond fandom. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The wedding scene is even funnier.
    Bond likes to eff up other people's weddings.
    It always looked like the groom was about to burst with laughter as his bride breaks down in tears.
    In honor of Mickey G's birthday today I'm choosing one of his Bond films.............

NO TIME TO DIE

Looks like she's giving him an ultimatum: let Vesper go and she'll reveal all her secrets.
    I actually like the color timing on this film. Kind of evokes an old school Technicolor palette from the late '30's.

FFS, this obnoxious kid needs to give Bond some privacy..........okay he's gone.
    Moving scene at Vesper's grave. I teared up a little in the cinema here.

Primo isn't a bad henchman. He's not Jaws or Tee-hee, but he's pretty damned good.
    This is my 7th viewing of this epic.
    I only have the DVD and it looks solid. I will eventually upgrade to Blu-ray.
    I really like this DB5 chase.
    Madeleine is freaking out. However, instead of screaming like Stacey or throwing a tantrum like Elektra, she has snot coming from her nose instead.
    I love the segue into the titles.
    Next to CR, this is probably my favorite Kleinman title sequence.
    He's been quite excellent since his debut in '95.
    Logas Ash immediately starts kissing Bond's ass.
    The Paloma/Cuba section is a lot of fun. Would've been nice if the film were consistent in tone.
    Madeleine is freaking out. However, instead of screaming like Stacey or throwing a tantrum like Elektra, she has snot coming from her nose instead.
    This instance of snot I did manage to notice by myself. Snot difficult to see, har har.

The background colors are gorgeous. I love the Greek imagery, the DNA strand made from guns, the swimming fish...

Logan Ass.
    Love bit as Bond comes back to the MI6 building.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This instance of snot I did manage to notice by myself. Snot difficult to see, har har.

The background colors are gorgeous. I love the Greek imagery, the DNA strand made from guns, the swimming fish...

Logan Ass.

Haha! Excellent!
    I really like the scene at Q's flat.
    Whishaw is a wonderful Q. Excellent rapport with Craig.
    Ralph Fiennes looks old school. He would've fit right in during the Golden Age of Hollywood.
    The Blofeld scene is pretty funny.
    Craig has some amazing facial expressions during the Blofeld sequence.
    Craig looks a little gaunt in certain shots.
    I think Craig overall looks his best in this film, though.
    I love the section in the woods. Almost feels like it's out of a horror film.
    Safin's lair is quite classic Bondian. I love the WWII era references during the final act.
    Nomi looks bad ass.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 15,785
    The pacing does slow down here, though. I could probably watch all of TLD in the time between Bond going up to meet Safin and then picking up little Dou Dou.
    I'm truly glad Safin didn't actually end up being Doctor No.

That wouldn't sit well with me and just wouldn't make sense. I know some fans are open to anything as long as its done well, but I feel there are limitations.

It's kind of like hypothetically: lets have James Bond turn out to be Santa Claus. He could live in the North Pole in a lavish Ken Adam style set, have reindeer, etc.

Q Branch could be run by elves and Aston Martin could supply Santa Bond's sleigh.

Craig could grow his whitening beard out fuller......as long as it's written and directed well, it could be brilliant.

No. That would be just as effed up as Safin turning out to be Doctor No.

Now we're getting to THE divisive section of this film.

Maybe he should've worn the iconic black dinner suit for his final scenes? Nah.

Too bad he doesn't have something akin to the wonderful Brosnan PTS outfit in GOLDENEYE.

Once he removes that sweater, the braces and white shirt have a John Boy of THE WALTONS look.

Bond's ghost is running around for eternity dressed like John Boy.
    "You have permission to launch."

He could've added:

"Bond, you have permission to die".

I remember that Mike Grell comic from 1989.

PERMISSION TO DIE.

I really liked some of those graphic novel titles back then. SERPENT'S TOOTH, A SILENT ARMEGEDDON and so forth.