No Time To Die: Why It Should Not Have Been Made (The Way It Was)

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Boyhood crush.

You guys are EASY.

That's what SHE said.

BrokenHandsomeGavial-max-1mb.gif
  • MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    I guarantee you that if Ana de Armas was cast as Nomi, everyone that claimed to despise that character like Reaper above would suddenly have ZERO issues.

Absolutely correct.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Meanwhile wrote: »
    I guarantee you that if Ana de Armas was cast as Nomi, everyone that claimed to despise that character like Reaper above would suddenly have ZERO issues.

Absolutely correct.
    Lashana Lynch is not only a great actress, but she's absolutely gorgeous.
    If I use my white eraser, does that make her albino or just like a medium gray like from a B&W TV show from the 60's?
    Just watching the concluding episodes of Showtimes Dexter New Blood, and Ray Donovan this week, and BBC's The Tourist, and there is definitely a trend at the moment of killing off the main characters, or giving the series a depressing, gloomy ending.

I couldn't help but think of NTTD as I watched these episodes unfold. It's a new craze in Hollywood circles at the moment. All flawed heroes no longer deserve happy endings.

I really hate this. :(
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It could be worse. TV could be stuck in the banal state of 70s television.

It could be better too. 70's cinema was superb. ;)
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 3,564
    Just watching the concluding episodes of Showtimes Dexter New Blood, and Ray Donovan this week, and BBC's The Tourist, and there is definitely a trend at the moment of killing off the main characters, or giving the series a depressing, gloomy ending.

I couldn't help but think of NTTD as I watched these episodes unfold. It's a new craze in Hollywood circles at the moment. All flawed heroes no longer deserve happy endings.

Here's a radical notion: consider the possibility that those in Hollywood circles aren't trying to upset you; rather, they are trying to create storylines that have some resonance to our times. If all the "flawed heroes" (which is to say, all heroes period) are meeting depressing, gloomy endings, then what does that say about the times we are living in? Sorry if you don't like these gloomy, depressing times -- who does? -- but maybe that's why the creators of fiction are telling these sorts of stories. They're just reflecting the times we live in.

PS: "Dexter" is a flawed hero? That's strange, I thought he was a serial killer. You have an interesting definition of the term "hero." Or maybe that's just why I don't watch Dexter, I'm not inclined towards sympathy for serial killers.
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs from my understanding Dexter only kills serial killers rather than innocent people. That’s why he’s labeled a “flawed hero” because he feels the same indulgences as those he kills.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond is also a serial killer.
    Bond is also a serial killer.

Unlike Dexter, Bond is sanctioned by the government. So it’s A-OK! ;)
  • Bond is also a serial killer.

Unlike Dexter, Bond is sanctioned by the government. So it’s A-OK! ;)

A perfectly obvious difference; one that's only ignored when trying to start an argument.
  • Just to save everybody some time:

• @BeatlesSansEarmuffs from my understanding Dexter only kills serial killers rather than innocent people. That’s why he’s labeled a “flawed hero” because he feels the same indulgences as those he kills.

Ah. This is a distinction that I was not aware of. I don't expect to start watching "Dexter" because of it; nonetheless, thanks for the information.

70s TV was great, or at least it was in the UK
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Meanwhile wrote: »

Absolutely correct.
    Lashana Lynch is not only a great actress, but she's absolutely gorgeous.
    If I use my white eraser, does that make her albino or just like a medium gray like from a B&W TV show from the 60's?

tbh as far as I know you only need to have someone black in your families history to be deemed black (Mariah Carey i.e.), so you'd really need to brush her up properly.
    The complaints over Q briefly referencing a male date is so utterly utterly dumb. I wouldn't be surprised if homophobia was a factor.

For example. Nobody complained about Moneypenny dating a gentleman in GE. Nobody complained about seeing M wake up to a phone call with her husband on the other side of the bed in CR. Nobody complained about Moneypenny having a fella in her bed as she was looking up info for Bond in SP.

But all of sudden Q briefly mentions a male date? In the span of what's probably a second and a half? OH MY GOD THE FILMMAKERS HAVE GONE TO FAR!!!

Please.
  • The complaints over Q briefly referencing a male date is so utterly utterly dumb. I wouldn't be surprised if homophobia was a factor.

For example. Nobody complained about Moneypenny dating a gentleman in GE. Nobody complained about seeing M wake up to a phone call with her husband on the other side of the bed in CR. Nobody complained about Moneypenny having a fella in her bed as she was looking up info for Bond in SP.

But all of sudden Q briefly mentions a male date? In the span of what's probably a second and a half? OH MY GOD THE FILMMAKERS HAVE GONE TO FAR!!!

Please.

Didn't you know? Straight white males are an endangered species nowadays. ;)
    It's like Fox News talking about how there's a "War on Christmas" because people are saying "Happy Holidays" thus there's a steady decline for the holiday, yet when you look at the numbers 93% of the US population celebrates Christmas anyway.

I guess going from 94% to 93% is a cause for alarm!
    I wondered if Bond hung out with Q and his date since he ended up rooming with Q?
    I could picture Roger Moore's Bond socializing, opening the champagne, but would Craig?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The complaints over Q briefly referencing a male date is so utterly utterly dumb. I wouldn't be surprised if homophobia was a factor.

Please.

I know I am. I won't be around in 30 years. Whom can I blame for this...?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Nobody complained about Moneypenny having a fella in her bed as she was looking up info for Bond in SP.

Remember the rumours that it was C in Moneypenny's bed and the real reason she gave him the death glare after Nine Eyes got the nod was because she saw it as a personal betrayal? There'd've been a few complaints if that'd been true!
    Never heard of that rumor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Was it a rumour or just a joke made on here? I made one about it being 009. Maybe this is how some rumours start.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Troy wrote: »

70s TV was great, or at least it was in the UK

Certainly better than the deck we get now...
    Venutius wrote: »
    Nobody complained about Moneypenny having a fella in her bed as she was looking up info for Bond in SP.

Remember the rumours that it was C in Moneypenny's bed and the real reason she gave him the death glare after Nine Eyes got the nod was because she saw it as a personal betrayal? There'd've been a few complaints if that'd been true!

I first heard that theory from YouTuber Joe Darlington. It's certainly feasible.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I wondered if Bond hung out with Q and his date since he ended up rooming with Q?
    I could picture Roger Moore's Bond socializing, opening the champagne, but would Craig?

Another good idea for a theatre spin-off for Craig to do. Bond and Q spending an evening talking about their lives and careers possibly with Moneypenny and Q's date (that's Tanner, right?) dropping in and out.
    The original theatre idea was a one-man play in three acts about Bond alone in his Jamaican villa coming to terms with his life over the span of five years.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    We all know it was me in Miss Moneypenny's bed. Let's not kid ourselves.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Please.

I know I am. I won't be around in 30 years. Whom can I blame for this...?

Youm can blamme the grammmar Nazims who insisted youm use words like whom.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The original theatre idea was a one-man play in three acts about Bond alone in his Jamaican villa coming to terms with his life over the span of five years.

I'll have one of those...

Here's a radical notion: consider the possibility that those in Hollywood circles aren't trying to upset you; rather, they are trying to create storylines that have some resonance to our times. If all the "flawed heroes" (which is to say, all heroes period) are meeting depressing, gloomy endings, then what does that say about the times we are living in? Sorry if you don't like these gloomy, depressing times -- who does? -- but maybe that's why the creators of fiction are telling these sorts of stories. They're just reflecting the times we live in.

PS: "Dexter" is a flawed hero? That's strange, I thought he was a serial killer. You have an interesting definition of the term "hero." Or maybe that's just why I don't watch Dexter, I'm not inclined towards sympathy for serial killers.

Dexter only kills bad people, so in my book that makes him a flawed hero (no different to Bond in many respects). But then again, you haven't watched the series, so you shouldn't really comment on something you haven't watched.

And nothing `radical' about you said with the Hollywood circles. It is reflecting the times we live in, which is why I think some light hearted relief wouldn't go amiss in these gloomy times we are now in. Isn't that what we go to the cinema for?
  • Just watching the concluding episodes of Showtimes Dexter New Blood, and Ray Donovan this week, and BBC's The Tourist, and there is definitely a trend at the moment of killing off the main characters, or giving the series a depressing, gloomy ending.

Dexter only kills bad people, so in my book that makes him a flawed hero (no different to Bond in many respects). But then again, you haven't watched the series, so you shouldn't really comment on something you haven't watched.

And nothing `radical' about you said with the Hollywood circles. It is reflecting the times we live in, which is why I think some light hearted relief wouldn't go amiss in these gloomy times we are now in. Isn't that what we go to the cinema for?

I'm telling you why I don't plan on watching it; not commenting on the content of the show itself. Certainly you understand the difference.

And again, Bond's "License to Kill" is issued by Her Majesty's government; Dexter's decision to kill is entirely his own. Repeating myself: "certainly you understand the difference."

Repeating myself again: