Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Yes, at facebook they really know what they're doing. I'm member of quite a few ww2 aviation groups, but most are threatened by FB with closure for showing Nazi symbolism (ww2 fighter planes with swastika's on their tail) or for using the word 'Japs' for 'Japanese'. As 'Japs' is considered racist.

Kind of ironic, considering Japan was part of the Axis.
    Well, FB is the ultimate sewer pit of the Internet. It's a moral and intellectual disaster area. Honestly, I don't understand why people still bother with it.

As an expat I find it very useful to connect with home. Or to contact local businesses.

There's always email... where people still bother to type full sentences. 😊

Yes but texting the business via messenger is faster and you know when they've seen it.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 17,279
    Well, FB is the ultimate sewer pit of the Internet. It's a moral and intellectual disaster area. Honestly, I don't understand why people still bother with it.

In my day to day life, Facebook is by far the easiest way to keep in touch and reach people, either by Messenger or via various Facebook groups. There's really no other option: Messenger is preferable to text messages, email is only used for work purposes, and nobody uses WhatsApp where I live. Some people use Snapchat, but you really can't compare that with Facebook and Messenger.

Would I like another option than Facebook? Sure, but there isn't any. Out of 5.4 million Norwegians, 3.4 million have a profile on the site, and 76% of my age group uses Facebook on a daily basis. It will certainly take time for a viable option to emerge.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Happy New Year

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar

<:-P
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Happy New Year

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar

<:-P

Gelukkig nieuwjaar! Happy newyear everyone!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Strange sentiments in a moaning thread. 😉😉
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Moan of the same in 2022. 8-|
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I just spent 25 consecutive hours with a FFP2 mask on with 2 hours of (bad) sleep. I’m not even able to rant anymore.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    matt_u wrote: »
    I just spent 25 consecutive hours with a FFP2 mask on with 2 hours of (bad) sleep. I’m not even able to rant anymore.

Be careful. Free breathing and good sleep are both essential for your immune system, as well as cognitive functions. Hope you are able to read this.
    I just came back from Thailand and both of my two 7 hours flights got constantly delayed so yeah it was a long trip to come back home, more than a full 24 hours actually. Long trips are kinda frustrating nowadays with all this Omicron panic, without mentioning all the money burned for tests and policies…
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Sounds brutal. Sorry to hear that. What brought you to Thailand?
    Sounds brutal. Sorry to hear that. What brought you to Thailand?

Yeah I’m happy it’s over. I went to Thailand (Phuket actually) to celebrate Christmas and New Year’s Eve with my girlfriend’s family and I have to say it was wonderful, except for this nightmarish journey back. We visited the island where Boyle shot The Beach as well. The round trip was also fine. Given the fact that in Thailand are very strict with COVID rules and applications it was a little stressful - we did a usual PCR test before the flight, another one at the airport right after we landed, another one after 6 days and a last one 48 hours before the flight back - but in the end it was worth it… especially because the last time I left Europe was for a Bali trip back in Summer 2019… pre COVID a life ago.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Damn. At least you had a great holiday.
    Absolutely. The week before our flight to Thailand saw Omicron cases skyrocketing like crazy especially where I live. Literally half of my best friends got it and spent the holidays in quarantine so I feel double lucky. This devastating trip back home perhaps it was the price to pay.
    Good to hear you had a good trip. But the way back sounds infuriating. Respect. I'm glad it's over, @matt_u!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Balje has decided that no one is allowed a happy new year. His will be done.

I am already on it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Completely off-topic but:

@MajorDSmythe I've been wanting to know this for a while. I could search for the answer, I guess, but it would ruin the fun. Is that... Richard Johnson?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

@MajorDSmythe I've been wanting to know this for a while. I could search for the answer, I guess, but it would ruin the fun. Is that... Richard Johnson?

It is, yes. As far as I see, it's from one of the Bulldog Drummond films.

I have always thought so. Wish we could've gotten more films in that series.

I am already on it.

Did YOU pour mayonnaise in my mailbox?

Once considered for the role of James Bond too, I believe. He was a good actor and he certainly looked the part.

I am already on it.

That could have been anyone.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Ah, I didn't know those films.

Are you talking about sex?

I might have read somewhere that there was a 3rd film planned, but after Some Girls Do, the plan for more was scrapped.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Once considered for the role of James Bond too, I believe. He was a good actor and he certainly looked the part.

And by Terrance Young, no less. Johnson was his first choice.

I might have read somewhere that there was a 3rd film planned, but after Some Girls Do, the plan for more was scrapped.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I can see why Young would have wanted Johnson as he had the upper class, bon viveur look down pat. Of course he later moulded Connery into Bond instead and was as responsible as anybody for the early success of the film Bond and his character.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sorry for being pedantic and nitpicking, @MajorDSmythe, but "Terrance Young" triggers the same sentiments in me as "Ian Flemming" (with two "m"s). I can't help remarking on it, or I'll feel a physical hurt. The name is "Terence" Young.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Sorry for being pedantic and nitpicking, @MajorDSmythe, but "Terrance Young" triggers the same sentiments in me as "Ian Flemming" (with two "m"s). I can't help remarking on it, or I'll feel a physical hurt. The name is "Terence" Young.

well it is the whining, moaning and complaining thread.....

I have that same feeling when people imitate Connery's Bond with an exaggerated "sh" sound. He never said "Mish Moneypenny" or "Jamesh Bond" like a sailor with a mouth full of chewing tobacco. Unlike the Connery of The Hunt For Red October, who mentions that people will "tremble at the shound of our mishile drillsh", his Bond voice was fairly clear and polished, a few lapses in DAF and NSNA notwithstanding.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 13,894

I sincerely apologise, it was a slip of the keyboard. At other times, I have spelled his name correctly.
    Connery only started the sh sounds when he got his new teeth
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,688

I sincerely apologise, it was a slip of the keyboard. At other times, I have spelled his name correctly.

Yeah, no hard feelings. I do my own typos now and then (with my eyesight somewhat going down the drain these last few years - but wait until May or so, when I'll probably have cataract surgery!))...but still...