Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Metro.co.uk: Man's body found upside down in dinosaur statue 'after he fell in getting phone'.
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/24/mans-body-found-upside-down-in-dinosaur-statue-after-he-fell-in-getting-phone-14634965/

Sometime best to accept your phone is gone.
    And be careful around dinosaurs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw some folks having a laugh about that; I'm all for a bit of bad taste humour but that just sounded like a horrible and sad way to die to me.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,351
    Just stumbled across TND on German TV while channel surfing. The rule is of course that one has to finish a Bond film when coming across it on TV. It has been a while since I've seen the film and even longer since I have seen it dubbed in German. And it is annoying as hell that for some reason German voice actors in 1997 where apparently not able to pronounce "stealth". I kind of understand why they didn't translate it. Without going into it too much, the word for a stealth ship would most likely "Tarnkappenschiff" which is probably hard to fit on the dub. But, maybe tell the voice actors that it isn't pronounced "steltz". It's like the worst possible cliche of Germans speaking English and every single person does it. It's like the dubbing director instructed them to pronounce it like that. Bizarre.
    Enjoying the film, though. Would be a shame if Bond no longer popped up in a random prime time slot on free TV after the Amazon thing goes through

Mod edit: profanities deleted.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @ImpertinentGoon
    Please avoid f bombs and other profanities. Thank you! :-)

As for the comment itself, all I can say is that dubbed Bond films are horrendous. If Germans watched films in English since childhood, your problem would be automatically solved. ;-) One cannot properly pronounce words in a language one refuses to listen to.

Personally, I insist on watching films in their original language, whether they are in English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Italian, Spanish, Korean, ... As long as subtitles are available for films that aren't in English, French or Dutch, I refuse to watch them in any other way than the original dub.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Important event last Saturday, traveled a few hundred miles to New York with the family. Brought everything needed I thought, suit and jacket, accessories. Day scheduled at the last moment, I discovered the cleaners paired my suit jacket with my son's trousers. He's slightly shorter, and thinner than me of course making them unwearable.

I blamed society and worked it out, it did cause some excitement.

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @ImpertinentGoon
    Please avoid f bombs and other profanities. Thank you! :-)

As for the comment itself, all I can say is that dubbed Bond films are horrendous. If Germans watched films in English since childhood, your problem would be automatically solved. ;-) One cannot properly pronounce words in a language one refuses to listen to.

Personally, I insist on watching films in their original language, whether they are in English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Italian, Spanish, Korean, ... As long as subtitles are available for films that aren't in English, French or Dutch, I refuse to watch them in any other way than the original dub.

I honestly didn't know there was a profanity rule here. Sorry for that and thank you for the tactful reminder and the edit. My apologies.

I have recently gone back to watching more things dubbed when I am watching more casually. But for English stuff my brain often enough then does a weird thing, where I try to figure out, what the original dialogue was.
    Important event last Saturday, traveled a few hundred miles to New York with the family. Brought everything needed I thought, suit and jacket, accessories. Day scheduled at the last moment, I discovered the cleaners paired my suit jacket with my son's trousers. He's slightly shorter, and thinner than me of course making them unwearable.

I blamed society and worked it out, it did cause some excitement.

One of the recurring scenarios I play through in my head, while probably never needing it, is having to buy a new suit in a strange city on short notice. No idea why.
    What did you end up doing?
    The Telegraph: Humans could live to 150, say scientists.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/27/humans-could-live-150-say-scientists/

This is great news as we might live long enough to see at least ten or twelve Bond films.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/27/humans-could-live-150-say-scientists/

This is great news as we might live long enough to see at least ten or twelve Bond films.

Not at the present pace...at least looking at it from my age And one of these days, only on Amazon Prime.

Singer Warren Zevon, stricken with cancer, once famously said he hoped to live long enough to see the next Bond movie. He actually made it. Unfortunately, it turned out to Die Another Day.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm thinking Warren Zevon enjoyed it very much. The dialog even referenced his song "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Studies like this have been done before, taking other variables into account, such as the maximum number of heartbeats a mammalian heart is designed for. This concluded with a max age for humans of 144.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Studies like this have been done before, taking other variables into account, such as the maximum number of heartbeats a mammalian heart is designed for. This concluded with a max age for humans of 144.

I'm glad to know you've still got a few years left in you yet, Thundy. MI6 expects you to do your duty. ;)
    Most kung fu I watch is eng dubbed , sometimes you can't even find eng dub (Adventure in Denmark only French dub available)
    Why blue tint on blu rays instead of normal unedit color ?

Why sound out of sync (Kellys Heroes blu)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have been quiet annoyed by the growing amount of on-line film critics that have proliferated the Internet since it's inception. I was in my 30s when the world went on-line, so it still seems relatively new to me. As someone that appreciates film history and scholarship, it has saddened me to see the death of the professional, literate, well-researched and well-trained film critic.

These amateurs are exactly that. They think if they understand a few basic terms that they have the tools to intelligently dissect film and put it in some kind of context. But it's just crap, with a few exceptions. This obsession with "Character Arc" for instance. In most major film school programs, character arc is hardly addressed or touched upon. It's considered a minimum to have your character follow a path/arc. On these boards, or with other amateur critiques, I see character arc used and discussed as if it is some form of high level film analyses. No, it is beyond basic, and only mentioned if you seem to have no direction for your character, and if that is your approach you will probably not be in the program long. You might talk about it for a few classes in your first year, but then it is assumed. It's like cinematography, you are expected to have learned the basic rules of composition before you are accepted into a major program. Go back and read the works of the great critics, whose writing was fine art in itself: Pauline Kael, Roger Ebert, James Agee, Kenneth Turan, etc. See how often, if ever, "Character Arc" gets mentioned.

Pauline Kael... Yeah, not a big fan. ;-)

But I wholeheartedly agree, @Birdleson.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Pauline Kael, James Agee, Andrew Sarris, and Manny Farber are usually regarded as the greatest American film critics in terms of style and influence. Unlike her contemporary Sarris, Kael was also a Bond fan. Her writing style was also the most conversational and intimate, which helps account for her popularity. She had plenty of eccentric opinions, but great critics rarely conform to a consensus.

The contemporary obsession with character arcs might stem from the emergence of long-form TV storytelling. In movies a character arc was to be expected, but for many decades TV shows were serials with static characterization. Over the past 20 years though, story arcs have become de rigueur for TV, and the same is true for character arcs. Online TV criticism is notoriously bad (it mostly consists of self-style "recaps"), and I wouldn't be surprised if it has led to bad online film critics too. The internet is a great Democratic medium, but when you have large numbers of anything then Sturgeon's Law is the law of the land.
    Just found out that the Fox channel on Sky is being removed from the platform. Gutted! It had some great shows on there. Also angry to find out the reason why is our old friends at Disneycorp. That right, Fox stuff is going to Disney+. That means no more Walking Dead or The Orville for me because I refuse point blank to give any more of my hard earned to this all domineering company.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have been quiet annoyed by the growing amount of on-line film critics that have proliferated the Internet since it's inception. I was in my 30s when the world went on-line, so it still seems relatively new to me. As someone that appreciates film history and scholarship, it has saddened me to see the death of the professional, literate, well-researched and well-trained film critic.

These amateurs are exactly that. They think if they understand a few basic terms that they have the tools to intelligently dissect film and put it in some kind of context. But it's just crap, with a few exceptions. This obsession with "Character Arc" for instance. In most major film school programs, character arc is hardly addressed or touched upon. It's considered a minimum to have your character follow a path/arc. On these boards, or with other amateur critiques, I see character arc used and discussed as if it is some form of high level film analyses. No, it is beyond basic, and only mentioned if you seem to have no direction for your character, and if that is your approach you will probably not be in the program long. You might talk about it for a few classes in your first year, but then it is assumed. It's like cinematography, you are expected to have learned the basic rules of composition before you are accepted into a major program. Go back and read the works of the great critics, whose writing was fine art in itself: Pauline Kael, Roger Ebert, James Agee, Kenneth Turan, etc. See how often, if ever, "Character Arc" gets mentioned.

Yes, character arc is a grand term for what I understand, as an interested amateur, to be the basic tenet of interesting drama, which is simply change. Showing change from one state to another makes something interesting; having it stay the same isn't. I might be wrong, I haven't taken a course.
    But I guess that just because it's a very basic requirement of drama to have your character follow an arc, it's not exactly wrong of any critic to point it out if a character doesn't. As it is so basic, as you say, then a film being found not to have one is a fundamental flaw and probably worth mentioning.
    I know it's very important is any film about Noah. :D
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,639
    Talked with Newmars agent , he's clueless about autograph forger , there's a reason why Piece of Past has a bad rep , seems every PoP autograph I see discussed is deemed a forgery

Burt Ward doesn't care much (talked with him) , after all its not him being scammed

If I had been a celeb and found out he's forging my signature I'd go ballistic !
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,639
    Bob Baker Jr to auction letters his dad got from Bruce Lee , it seems not only did Lee use weed but also cocaine (or "Coca Cola" as Lee called it) , not really surprised :

Bruce to Anna Capri : "I can get you any drugs you want" , also been rumors for years that Baker supplied drugs and guns to Lee so again , no surprise
    Due to covid, I worked nine days before finally getting a day off. Now due to staff having to self-isolate , I had been promised a few days off but no more. I guess I'll be working flat out again covering other people's hours.
    The problem I'm having is it's starting to affect me, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm depressed but Hell I'm really feeling down. I was so looking forward to getting some time off.
    Ok Rant over
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's horrible: you shouldn't have to do that.
    Due to covid, I worked nine days before finally getting a day off. Now due to staff having to self-isolate , I had been promised a few days off but no more. I guess I'll be working flat out again covering other people's hours.
    The problem I'm having is it's starting to affect me, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm depressed but Hell I'm really feeling down. I was so looking forward to getting some time off.
    Ok Rant over

You have every right to rant, @Thunderpussy! You deserve some time off; we all do. If there's no way out of this, for now, let me just say that I applaud your stamina and truly admire your dedication. I'm also sure that you'll get that much needed time off eventually.

Take care, mate. And don't hesitate to send a PM if you really need to blow off steam!
    Thanks @DarthDimi and @mtm It was just a rant. It has to be done, I understand .
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,800
    @Thunderpussy: I know how you feel. I once had to work every day for two weeks solid (including Sundays). All the while my car exhaust was broken and hanging like a thread and I couldn't get any time off to get it fixed. It was ridiculous but sometimes these things have to be done to keep the peace. You don't get any thanks for it, though. Well, not apart from your pay anyway. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    @Thunderpussy: I know how you feel. I once had to work every day for two weeks solid (including Sundays). All the while my car exhaust was broken and hanging like a thread and I couldn't get any time off to get it fixed. It was ridiculous but sometimes these things have to be done to keep the peace. You don't get any thanks for it, though. Well, not apart from your pay anyway. ;)

Yes that's the worst thing: by rights you should just be able to say no, but unfortunately we know the real world isn't like that and bosses tend to keep grudges about that sort of thing, it's not fair.
    mtm wrote: »

Yes that's the worst thing: by rights you should just be able to say no, but unfortunately we know the real world isn't like that and bosses tend to keep grudges about that sort of thing, it's not fair.

Yes, in a perfect world you could just say "no" but as I recall I was rotaed for all of it so it was just expected I would do it as they were short staffed. I do find it very hard to say "no" to people. That's one of my faults: always trying to please others, whatever the cost.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,540
    mtm wrote: »

Yes, in a perfect world you could just say "no" but as I recall I was rotaed for all of it so it was just expected I would do it as they were short staffed. I do find it very hard to say "no" to people. That's one of my faults: always trying to please others, whatever the cost.

But saying 'no' is the hard part, isn't it? We don't want to come off as complainers, sour our relationship with our superiors, pass our work on to somebody else... I guess that sense of duty can be strong, even if deep down inside we "don't wanna".

Look at me... I'm supposed to be enjoying my annual Summer vacation, or better still, my honeymoon! And here I am, just married but working long hours every single day just to create good study material for my students. Why not during the school year? Because then, I've got my hands full with everything else, such as stupid paperwork, keeping myself available at all times for students and parents, organizing extracurricular activities, and more. My wife keeps telling me to calm down, relax, and enjoy these weeks off. And so what if I have to re-use material I created over five years ago? Well... it's that sense of duty. I detect new opportunities and ways to improve my lessons. Digital possibilities keep expanding and so I want to jump on some of those wagons, just to supply students with the kind of visual and didactic tools we never had. I could just say, "screw this!", like some colleagues of mine, and simply not care. But I do care, and I take it so do you, @Thunderpussy and @Dragonpol.

Until, at some point, the fuse is blown and we've had enough. So yeah, time off is more important than anything else, more important than big fat paychecks even. But hey, I suck at taking my own advice. ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,945
    Here's a much shallower and less important whine: I just wore my Skyfall-style Barbour jacket out for a quick 20min walk because it looks like it's going to rain, and yet again I'm absolutely covered in sweat! I remember why I almost never wear it because it doesn't let your skin breathe at all - what is it made of, plastic bags?! :D