The Science - Science Fiction thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Cool vid. What popped into my head is that we actually do master the fifth dimension. We use it as what we call 'free will'. We move, i.e. to the left as opposed to the possibility of going to the right, hence deciding that the left universe is the one to go by and making the we-went-right one dissapear. So not only do we move in the fourth, we use the fifth dimension as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For those of you who have ever read Asimov's brilliant and legendary novel series 'Foundation', the new Apple series based on these books may be the first truly spot-on Asimov adaptation. I'm excited. Best sci-fi collection I've ever read.

Another Rotschild visionary.
    Just started reading Needle In a Timestack by Robert Silverberg. Why have I never read this author before, he is great. Ordered more books.
    161185598_max.jpg
    This is the third short story collection with that title. One came out in the 60s and another in the 70s.
    Just started reading Needle In a Timestack by Robert Silverberg. Why have I never read this author before, he is great. Ordered more books.
    161185598_max.jpg
    This is the third short story collection with that title. One came out in the 60s and another in the 70s.

Can you tell me a bit more about his work, @Thunderfinger? I'm intrigued now.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    161185598_max.jpg

Silverberg has been publishing sci fi novels since 1955, when he was 20 and is still working as far as I know. The title story in this book, which didn t appear in any of the previous collections with said name, but in another in the 80s, is about a future (around our present time) where time travel is an expensive but not uncommon activity. People who get their past and thus their present altered in small or big ways, notice symptoms and have a recollection of their previous life for just a couple hours before they forget. One couple experiences this several times, and suspect it is the wife s former lover (who does a lot of time travel) that interferes to win her back.

Time travel appears to be one of the recurring themes in his work, and from what I read so far, he has a really nice flow and writing style, one that never bores you. recommended.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    161185598_max.jpg

Silverberg has been publishing sci fi novels since 1955, when he was 20 and is still working as far as I know. The title story in this book, which didn t appear in any of the previous collections with said name, but in another in the 80s, is about a future (around our present time) where time travel is an expensive but not uncommon activity. People who get their past and thus their present altered in small or big ways, notice symptoms and have a recollection of their previous life for just a couple hours before they forget. One couple experiences this several times, and suspect it is the wife s former lover (who does a lot of time travel) that interferes to win her back.

Time travel appears to be one of the recurring themes in his work, and from what I read so far, he has a really nice flow and writing style, one that never bores you. recommended.

Thanks! He sounds a bit like Asimov.
  • I have read one of Silverberg's short stories that involved time travel and would recommend him as well. He has a good sense of humor and as @Thunderfinger's comment suggests seems interested in the dynamics of relationships. I would definitely like to read more of his work.
    I have read one of Silverberg's short stories that involved time travel and would recommend him as well. He has a good sense of humor and as @Thunderfinger's comment suggests seems interested in the dynamics of relationships.

Yes, you can definitely say that. Pretty captivating whatever the theme-be it time travel, cloning, reality tv (a concept he thought of in 1962) or anything else. Look forward to reading more.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That was good to see, @Thunderfinger.

So sad. But great for "authorities" and their propaganda machinery!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

So sad. But great for "authorities" and their propaganda machinery!

Well, it's the basis of many groups. Belonging is more important than the truth.

More about fractals.
    epic
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2022 Posts: 17,691
    Anyone here watching The Expanse? The show rocks, and there are only two episodes left before it's over!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Six seasons of The Expanse, and no one here has seen it? Wow. Next week is the final episode. This is the best show since Firefly....
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Six seasons of The Expanse, and no one here has seen it? Wow. Next week is the final episode. This is the best show since Firefly....

I've heard good things about this show. The problem is that TV series can be extremely time-consuming and, to me at least, usually not very rewarding, which is why I select them carefully. I burned my fingers on Battlestar Gallactica (remake), for example, four seasons of which felt like a lifetime of boredom. I prefer relatively short series, like Squid Game, The Newsroom, True Detective, The Boys ... I'm not saying I never watch multi-season series; 24 and Breaking Bad are among my absolute favourites. Firefly was short enough (due to being cancelled) and easy to get through. I keep reading the comics as well. But overall I'm a movie kinda guy, and most TV series do a lot to annoy the hell out of me:
    • extreme shaky cam and frenetic zooming-in-out-in-out, all pointless, pretentious and just stupid-as-hell during talky scenes...
    • ... of which most TV series have just too many; they often turn into a wasteland of pointless, cliché, pedestrian dialogue...
    • ... often serving little purpose in the overall narrative...
    • ... which itself is usually a muddled collection of plots and subplots that typically make no difference in the end and thus constitute a total waste of time.

If the cameraman feels compelled to drive me seasick just to give one of a million conversations some kinetic vibe since the scene would otherwise be dull as hell, I'm out. Too many TV series have dragged me down that path towards weeks of TV watching with little reward in the end.

So, despite hearing good things about The Expanse, I'm afraid it might be just another one of those endless commitments, with 10% good stuff and 90% boring filler material. It'll take some more convincing before I might consider sitting down to watch it. ;-)