Craig says Bond could be played by a woman...

2»

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 338

How did they deal with the Doctor having been married? How did River Song feel about being married to a woman trapped in a man’s body?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,985
    How come it's always male roles that get called to change gender but never the other way around?

Please let me know of any female roles that have 'become male....'
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Good question. Of course at some point pint in the future Dr Who will do just that.
    I think it will be interesting as to when the BBC production team deem this 'acceptable'. I'm a big Dr Who fan and have no issue at all with the Doctor being a woman because as previously stated the Doctor's body is completely fluid as an in-universe concept. (The fact we had 13 men in the role prior to Jodie Whittaker is just a fluke!)
    However I was keen on her take on the role. Not sure if it was her personally or the scripts/new show runner. Anyway this is just a long way of answering the question. We will see a female role change to a man here but not anytime soon because of the nervousness around the inevitable backlash that would occur if done after just one woman.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Troy wrote: »
    How did they deal with the Doctor having been married? How did River Song feel about being married to a woman trapped in a man’s body?

She’s not been in it for several years. Based on their previous treatment of such things it wouldn’t make any difference.
  • Question (not only limited to the topic discussed here): How could we see Bond presented on screen/books etc. when James Bond eventually enters public domain? Could we see a "Jane Bond" or a completely different take on the character in the future, with the character in public domain – much like Sherlock Holmes?

Once Ian Fleming’s novels are out of copyright, which is only fifteen years away, then yes, anything goes. Any film or TV company will be able to use the James Bond character, and use the character any way they want, like put the character into a comedy or a rom com or a tv sit com.

I think that after 2034 we will see a female actor playing Bond, it’s pretty much a given.

What some people don’t seem to have realised yet is that all of Ian Fleming’s other characters enter the public domain too. Dr No, Goldfinger, Largo, Rosa Kleenex - they are all out of copyright in fifteen years’ time, so any film company can use these characters in any way they want.

• Rosa Kleenex

Sometimes I love spelling autocorrect lol

• edited September 2019 Posts: 17,279
    Question (not only limited to the topic discussed here): How could we see Bond presented on screen/books etc. when James Bond eventually enters public domain? Could we see a "Jane Bond" or a completely different take on the character in the future, with the character in public domain – much like Sherlock Holmes?

Once Ian Fleming’s novels are out of copyright, which is only fifteen years away, then yes, anything goes. Any film or TV company will be able to use the James Bond character, and use the character any way they want, like put the character into a comedy or a rom com or a tv sit com.

I think that after 2034 we will see a female actor playing Bond, it’s pretty much a given.

What some people don’t seem to have realised yet is that all of Ian Fleming’s other characters enter the public domain too. Dr No, Goldfinger, Largo, Rosa Kleenex - they are all out of copyright in fifteen years’ time, so any film company can use these characters in any way they want.

Thanks, @IGotABrudder – that was what I thought. We should just brace ourselves for a another CR67, or rather a CR34 then!
    Rosa Kleenex

Sometimes I love spelling autocorrect lol

Haha!
    So, maybe that’s why there’s rumours of Babs selling EON. Presumably the value will plummet once anyone can make a Bond movie
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So, maybe that’s why there’s rumours of Babs selling EON. Presumably the value will plummet once anyone can make a Bond movie

Nah, not going to happen. I would imagine 'James Bond' and '007' are trademarks of Eon: the copyright on the books may run out but if Bond himself is trademarked you're not going to be able to make a movie featuring him any time soon.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Where did you read that, in The Daily Mirror?

:-\"
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

391eb7d6-1f7a-4be5-9761-8806b37a611b_text_hi.gif
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    00Agent wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »

391eb7d6-1f7a-4be5-9761-8806b37a611b_text_hi.gif

:D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    gcyciz1id5g4.png
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Question (not only limited to the topic discussed here): How could we see Bond presented on screen/books etc. when James Bond eventually enters public domain? Could we see a "Jane Bond" or a completely different take on the character in the future, with the character in public domain – much like Sherlock Holmes?

I think the best medium for a strict adaptation of the novels would be something like Netflix. Watching it at home, the movie wouldn't carry the same kind of connotations and baggage of a cinematic experience. You would just watch it as a straight up spy period piece, without any of the EON iconography glamorizing it. Bond could be as in the novel as a very prickly English gentleman, no one liners or anything that softens his image. He's just a blunt instrument, rather than something to idolize on the big screen.
  • __M____M__ MidwestUSA
    Sure, however the franchise would end. However, I propose a biopic of Queen Elizabeth played by Richard Simmons. It follows the same logic.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    This is why actors are hired to act. Thinking is not their forte. I'd stick to acting, Daniel

Wow, what a smug opinion.
    Playing a real characters and twisting his gender is different than a fictional character.

Let's take Hamlet, there have been countless play adaptations where his gender was bended, and they usually play to small audiences.

Nonetheless, when a work is public domain, it naturally attracts people wanting to bend it.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    This is why actors are hired to act. Thinking is not their forte. I'd stick to acting, Daniel

Wow, what a smug opinion.

Mmmmm, I'm pretty sure it's been said before by some famous Producer or Director?

I think the "problem" with top line actors in an ongoing part, is that they get bored and push to have their character put in ever more dramatic situations, so they can improve their skills and grow as a performer, which on the one hand is fine and only natural for an ambitious and committed thespian, but on the other hand is not always what best serves the character or the production itself.

The production is a collaboration, but when an ongoing franchise becomes popular and the money is rolling in, and where the actor fronting it becomes strongly identified with the lead character, he or she gains more and more leverage until they can end up in a position calling all the shots and over-shadowing the input of the Director and other stake-holders.

So you can end up with everyone wanting to make a melodramatic exit, Wolverine, Iron-Man, Captain America... and now Craig-Bond

Daniel Craig was never satisfied with just playing the part of James Bond, the character always had to be struggling with some internal demons, so that Craig could satisfy his need to do some "real" acting.