Craig says Bond could be played by a woman...

Comments

• edited June 14 Posts: 1,467
    This is why actors are hired to act. Thinking is not their forte. I'd stick to acting, Daniel, and leave the thinking part to others. :D

Barbara Broccoli made it clear James Bond will remain a man. I know Babs loves Daniel but she's not going to go with his 'suggestion'.
    James Bond producer Barbara Broccoli has ruled out a gender swap to the character of the suave British spy, saying the part will always be played a male actor. British star Daniel Craig is preparing to leave the iconic role after the upcoming 25th movie in the series. Many, including Priyanka Chopra, have called for a woman to play the character.

"I always feel that Bond is a male character, that is just a fact. We have to make movies about women and women's stories but we have to create female characters and not just for a gimmick turn a male character into a woman," Broccoli told Good Morning Britain during Bond 25's launch event in Jamaica.

These times... they are a' changin'!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Jambudvipa
    And if they ever do a biopic about Craig, why not give that role to a woman as well?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Oh, come on! Do we really need a whole topic for something Craig has said to just play nice to the journalists for once?

Geez, when he speaks from his heart we get the quote repeated for 5+ years, when he tells the press what they want to hear it's not good either...

Can't we just let it slide? Or if we really need to discuss it, here or here would be perfectly fine too, in my opinion.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Schloss Drache ~ Defender of the Continuation.
    edited June 14 Posts: 12,699
    I'd like to think that Craig was being overly diplomatic there and not wanting to potentially offend either the interviewer or the seemingly forever offended "snowflake generation" who might be watching the (ultimately rather disappointing) Bond 25 launch event. It's also not his decision to make, but more that of the producers and any future writers, so it's a bit of a non-question in that regard. I'd prefer it though if he just told it like it is: "It's a really bad idea and it's never going to happen!"

Like he said, there should always be good roles for women or black actors or whoever to play and go on to define. There's no real need at all for them to be crowbarred into existing franchises with long established male and white characters.

The truth of the matter is there already is a very long established female "James Bond" with a history in novels and comic strips and even some film adaptations and her name is Modesty Blaise, created by Peter O'Donnell. I suggest those interested go and make films about her instead (there's certainly plenty of subject matter awaiting) and leave Bond as he is and always should be.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    No man is an island. =))
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The key thing here is that Craig was asked if Bond could be a woman. He didn't just blurt it out as his own opinion.

When people get asked these kinds of questions, most of the time they will give an answer that doesn't cause a row.

Thankfully, for us, the only word that matters is Barbara's at the moment. And she doesn't possess that chip.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Where a female actor intends to portray the Bond character as a man I'm good with it.

She can compete with any actor pursuing the male role.