NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    So Zimmer's No Time to Die score made the Academy Award's short list of 15 scores, out of which 5 will be nominated. Hopefully this will be one of those five as it would be well deserved and would be yet another blow to Arnold fans.

I agree that it's a great score and I would very much appreciate the Oscar, but why, pray tell, do we need to give Arnold fans "another blow"? I like what Arnold has done and I like what Zimmer has done.

Agreed. A daft and unnecessary comment.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Hardly a blow - is it? John Barry at the very height of his skills never received a nomination either. I rather like the line Zimmer walked for NTTD - a mix between both Arnold and Newman with his own style mixed in. That said - I'd be absolutely fine with an new composer for a new Bond.
  • I was going to say...it'll be a blow to Arnold and Barry fans alike! Take that, Barry fans! Another non-Barry Bond composer getting the nom!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Barry won five Oscars. The only other composer to match that record is John Williams. Barry is resting just easy.
  • Barry won five Oscars. The only other composer to match that record is John Williams. Barry is resting just easy.
    Oh really? Yet 2 of his greatest scores ever didn’t even get a nomination? YOLT and OHMSS. His 5 Oscars don’t count for much when they are for lesser works. Yes they’re great but they can’t match his 2 Bond works. I would also throw in TB and TLD. It’s criminal that he wasn’t nominated for any of these. He should have absolutely won those! But not even a nomination? Seriously?

Yet we’re happy because he got 5 wins so all is good? I don’t think so. I think being snubbed just because it’s a Bond score is the height of arrogance and unfairness. By that logic Williams should have never been nominated for any of the Star Wars. I mean those aren’t serious films, right?

To be thrilled for Zimmer and Newman getting nominations is a great disservice for both Barry and Arnold. Because they both deserved it more. Barry especially! And I don’t care if Barry already won 20 or 30 other Oscars. Doesn’t matter. That’s not the point. The point is he deserved more but was snubbed because it’s Bond.

Here’s the thing: did Barry even submit his Bond scores to the Academy for a nomination? They’d been nominating and awarding Bond ever since GOLDFINGER, and given that John Barry was an Oscar darling, it is strange that he didn’t get accolades for Bond. They had no problem nominating Hamlisch and Newman, after all.

But I agree Barry should have gotten a nom or win for Bond, but I highly doubt he was looking back at his career and thinking “OH NO WHY DIDN'T I GET AN OSCAR FOR BOND?? WOE IS ME!!”
    But I agree Barry should have gotten a nom or win for Bond, but I highly doubt he was looking back at his career and thinking “OH NO WHY DIDN'T I GET AN OSCAR FOR BOND?? WOE IS ME!!”

And it would be fair to say that no other Bond composer should feel the same way, as a result.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 721
    Jon Burlingame's book 'The Music of James Bond' reproduces a trade ad published in Variety and elsewhere promoting both the score of OHMSS and the Louis Armstrong song itself for Oscar consideration. He notes in the book that both Broccoli and UA were so proud of the music that this was the first time in the Bond series that they had done so. But as Burlingame notes, music branch members of the Academy just didn't take Bond music seriously at the time.

It can't have helped that Barry himself had earlier somewhat dismissed his own Goldfinger work as "million-dollar Mickey Mouse music." But whatever we might think of it today, back then Bond music just wasn't considered "award-worthy," which is rather ironic given the double Song category wins of recent years-and perhaps a likely third win next year for NTTD.
    Hey, does anyone have a high quality rip of the music from the end titles of the film (from Blu-Ray/4K)? Thank you.
    Interesting how certain parts of the score have a sound design quality to them. Like the sound of crickets in Someone Was Here, and the sound of, uh, wildlife in Poison Garden.
    Zimmer does that with some of his scores. I recall THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 had police sirens playing before the theme kicked in.

And of course, the flapping wings in the Batman scores.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 4,023
    vzok wrote: »

Period.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

Period.
    I couldn’t see the point.
    Instead you made one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,449
    Some comments here are acidic enough to burn holes through steel! So because Barry, ages ago, didn't get an Oscar for his Bond scores, for whatever reason, Newman and Zimmer and pretty much every other composer we'll ever get from here on should just not get one either.

I too think it's a missed opportunity that Barry wasn't awarded by the Academy for his amazing work on YOLT, OHMSS and, in fact, several other of his Bond scores, all of which are undeniably outstanding achievements. But hey, if we're going to complain about the Oscars neglecting certain people, there's a long list of actors, directors, cinematographers we can start talking about. And at least Barry got an Oscar for Born Free (two, in fact), The Lion In Winter, Out Of Africa and Dances With Wolves.
    Barry won five Oscars. The only other composer to match that record is John Williams. Barry is resting just easy.
    Oh really? Yet 2 of his greatest scores ever didn’t even get a nomination? YOLT and OHMSS. His 5 Oscars don’t count for much when they are for lesser works. Yes they’re great but they can’t match his 2 Bond works. I would also throw in TB and TLD. It’s criminal that he wasn’t nominated for any of these. He should have absolutely won those! But not even a nomination? Seriously?

Yet we’re happy because he got 5 wins so all is good? I don’t think so. I think being snubbed just because it’s a Bond score is the height of arrogance and unfairness. By that logic Williams should have never been nominated for any of the Star Wars. I mean those aren’t serious films, right?

To be thrilled for Zimmer and Newman getting nominations is a great disservice for both Barry and Arnold. Because they both deserved it more. Barry especially! And I don’t care if Barry already won 20 or 30 other Oscars. Doesn’t matter. That’s not the point. The point is he deserved more but was snubbed because it’s Bond.

Your angry post is a bit scary, @ringfire211. You are looking for reason and rationality where there is none, in a world that doesn't invite nor nurture it. First of all, I wouldn't call his four Academy awarded scores "lesser works". The Lion In Winter is nothing like Bond; they simply cannot be compared. But it is an impressive score. So is Dances With Wolves. "Lesser works" is a matter of taste, not fact.

Yes, a lot of Bond material from the past, not just the music, was overlooked, and most likely because the Academy refused to take Bond seriously. If you ask me, at least half the Bonds could and should have received a statue in a technical department. Oh well. I'm not going to pump up my blood pressure over it.

The fact that the Academy has been more generous with its Oscars towards Bond in recent times doesn't make up for the past, but it's a sign of some respect, and I welcome that. Nevertheless, the Oscars don't mean all that much in the end. Amidst dozens of completely forgotten Oscar winners, the Bonds continue to be celebrated, loved and--most importantly--watched by generations upon generations of die-hard as well as casual Bond fans. So whenever a Bond film wins a statue, I'm happy, even if it's for Writing's On The Wall and not for Bassey's Diamonds Are Forever; but when a Bond film doesn't get the Oscar, I'm not going to get worked up over it like you seem to be. It's not the end of the world, mate. No need to bring such a short fuse to this discussion. If Zimmer wins, hell if NTTD wins in whatever category, just be happy there's yet another Oscar for our beloved series. I agree there could have been many more, but we can't change the past.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 10,586

Final Ascent - Slowed down with reverb. Sounds incredible:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »
    Final Ascent - Slowed down with reverb. Sounds incredible:

That is better than the original. I love it.
    Very powerful.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just this morning I was thinking "I've watched NTTD a great many times at this point and feel like I could leave it for awhile and come back to it later", and now I want to watch it again immediately. :))
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited December 2021 Posts: 3,985
    Deleted
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited December 2021 Posts: 3,985
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Some comments here are acidic enough to burn holes through steel! So because Barry, ages ago, didn't get an Oscar for his Bond scores, for whatever reason, Newman and Zimmer and pretty much every other composer we'll ever get from here on should just not get one either.

I too think it's a missed opportunity that Barry wasn't awarded by the Academy for his amazing work on YOLT, OHMSS and, in fact, several other of his Bond scores, all of which are undeniably outstanding achievements. But hey, if we're going to complain about the Oscars neglecting certain people, there's a long list of actors, directors, cinematographers we can start talking about. And at least Barry got an Oscar for Born Free (two, in fact), The Lion In Winter, Out Of Africa and Dances With Wolves.

Your angry post is a bit scary, @ringfire211. You are looking for reason and rationality where there is none, in a world that doesn't invite nor nurture it. First of all, I wouldn't call his four Academy awarded scores "lesser works". The Lion In Winter is nothing like Bond; they simply cannot be compared. But it is an impressive score. So is Dances With Wolves. "Lesser works" is a matter of taste, not fact.

Yes, a lot of Bond material from the past, not just the music, was overlooked, and most likely because the Academy refused to take Bond seriously. If you ask me, at least half the Bonds could and should have received a statue in a technical department. Oh well. I'm not going to pump up my blood pressure over it.

The fact that the Academy has been more generous with its Oscars towards Bond in recent times doesn't make up for the past, but it's a sign of some respect, and I welcome that. Nevertheless, the Oscars don't mean all that much in the end. Amidst dozens of completely forgotten Oscar winners, the Bonds continue to be celebrated, loved and--most importantly--watched by generations upon generations of die-hard as well as casual Bond fans. So whenever a Bond film wins a statue, I'm happy, even if it's for Writing's On The Wall and not for Bassey's Diamonds Are Forever; but when a Bond film doesn't get the Oscar, I'm not going to get worked up over it like you seem to be. It's not the end of the world, mate. No need to bring such a short fuse to this discussion. If Zimmer wins, hell if NTTD wins in whatever category, just be happy there's yet another Oscar for our beloved series. I agree there could have been many more, but we can't change the past.

The Oscars barely have any credibility. Kubrick and Hitchcock were I believe ignored throughout their careers. Vangelis's incredible score for Blade Runner wasn't even nominated. But that's just a few that have been ignored.

A back slapping ceremony that means bugger all to me. All I know is I love the music from the Bond films and there's never been a bad score.
    Yes. Any energy at all spent towards anything to do with the academy is wasted, IMO.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just this morning I was thinking "I've watched NTTD a great many times at this point and feel like I could leave it for awhile and come back to it later", and now I want to watch it again immediately. :))

It has great re-watch powers over me, @NickTwentyTwo ... I battle the desire to watch it every evening... Sometimes I say I'll just watch the PTS (knowing that I'll continue watching the rest of the film), other times I say I'll just listen to the soundtrack (which moves me in different ways depending on the track), and then I get so jazzed up, I pop the film in again.... Luckily I've fought the demon many times, and last night was only my 11th viewing (whereas it has the potential to be far higher in views than it is).
    peter wrote: »

It has great re-watch powers over me, @NickTwentyTwo ... I battle the desire to watch it every evening... Sometimes I say I'll just watch the PTS (knowing that I'll continue watching the rest of the film), other times I say I'll just listen to the soundtrack (which moves me in different ways depending on the track), and then I get so jazzed up, I pop the film in again.... Luckily I've fought the demon many times, and last night was only my 11th viewing (whereas it has the potential to be far higher in views than it is).

Hasn't gotten old for me yet, either. And here I thought my five viewings were impressive... ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    FWIW, Dan Romer's score for the HBO Max show, Station Eleven, is nothing short of brilliant. Of course, the show is quite different from Bond, nevertheless it is a score I didn't think he had in him.
    TripAces wrote: »
    FWIW, Dan Romer's score for the HBO Max show, Station Eleven, is nothing short of brilliant. Of course, the show is quite different from Bond, nevertheless it is a score I didn't think he had in him.

I've also heard the show is great too; might have to check it out.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 721
    I wonder if the music of NTTD will have created something of a precedent in the years to come--or even a return to what Barry himself had done in the early years--by means of reusing the music of previous films? There is by now an entire canon of Bond music to be mined by future Bond composers, orchestrators and arrangers. Is it then any wonder that the creatives on NTTD were unable to resist the temptation of delving into its majesties?

And given how self-referential the series has become (never more so than under Craig), I think we can expect the weight of its own tradition to factor ever more highly regarding the music, as well ....
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Feyador wrote: »
    I wonder if the music of NTTD will have created something of a precedent in the years to come--or even a return to what Barry himself had done in the early years--by means of reusing the music of previous films? There is by now an entire canon of Bond music to be mined by future Bond composers, orchestrators and arrangers. Is it then any wonder that the creatives on NTTD were unable to resist the temptation of delving into its majesties?

And given how self-referential the series has become (never more so than under Craig), I think we can expect the weight of its own tradition to factor ever more highly regarding the music, as well ....

I’m all for Bill Conti’s “Make It Last All Night” be reprised in the same way OHMSS and WHATTITW was in NTTD.