NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

This is a key unreleased piece of music of the NTTD score which I have reconstructed.

Download link in FLAC (includes both the track by itself and mixed with WHATTITW):
    https://mega.nz/file/UVwEVbpa#VYGp-3wX6DOva1yMIYOh3AG5qY2lJworBFiW6x8sEWk

(crossposted in the unreleased Bond music thread)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Apoart from the Vesper theme at the tomb, what other bits of David Arnold's music were used by Hans Zimmer (David Arnold actually likes Zimmer's score, and how Zimmer used his music for the score)?
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    This is a key unreleased piece of music of the NTTD score which I have reconstructed.

Download link in FLAC (includes both the track by itself and mixed with WHATTITW):

Thanks for recreating this, @mattjoes! Great work! It really is a beautiful piece.

While I still can't get behind the idea of OHMSS's themes being used so prominently in NTTD, they are gorgeous themes nevertheless and Zimmer and Mazzaro did an excellent job of incorporating them, Arnold's Vesper theme, and the James Bond theme throughout their score.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,682
    mattjoes wrote: »

Thanks for recreating this, @mattjoes! Great work! It really is a beautiful piece.

While I still can't get behind the idea of OHMSS's themes being used so prominently in NTTD, they are gorgeous themes nevertheless and Zimmer and Mazzaro did an excellent job of incorporating them, Arnold's Vesper theme, and the James Bond theme throughout their score.

You're welcome, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero.

I will say that, if they ever reuse a theme again (apart from the Bond theme), it shouldn't happen in a long while.

Edit: Okay, they can 007 as well. They have my permission.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    I've made a complete List of the unreleased Soundtrack

- Safin (Released on Stevemazzaro.com) 5:09
    - Secrets 0:46
    - La Tomba di Lynd 1:20
    - I Miss You (Vespers Theme) 0:51
    - Message From an Old Friend (Film Version - Bridge Attack is different) 5:40
    - Heracles 3:48
    - It's Just a Number 0:17
    - Heracles Weaponized 0:37
    - Flight To Felix's Ship & Fighting 3:25
    - It's a Good Life 1:34
    - Definitely The Same Desk 1:40
    - Recovering Obruchev's Data 1:43
    - A New Patient 2:13
    - Nanobots 3:16
    - Blofelds Entry 1:54
    - Analyzing Cyclops' Mechanical Eye 0:55
    - The End of Blofeld 3:06
    - Home (Film Version) 3:41
    - We've located Logan Ash 0:46
    - History of Safin 2:15
    - The End of Logan Ash 4:02
    - One Drop of Tea 1:55
    - Make The World a Better Place 6:47
    - Permission to Launch 2:20
    - Poisoned 1:54
    - His Name is Bond 1:00
    - We Have All the Time in the World 3:12
    - End Credits (Square Escape/Home V.2/What have you done/Back to MI6) 3:00

This is really interesting; thank you!

We should mention the 'No Time To Die (Main Title)' which clocks in at 3.50. This is subtly different to the normal version of the track (4.03). This mix elevates instrumentation like the glockenspiel and drum pattern and the lower three note string motif is more pronounced. Structurally it removes Billie's final refrain of 'fool me once' after her long note, going straight to Johnny Marr's Em9 chord, with subtle ascending strings in the background.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Beautiful work, @mattjoes, I love it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Beautiful work, @mattjoes, I love it.

Glad you enjoyed it, @Creasy47.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Me, too. Very lovely. Makes me realize again I wish we had more of Matera in the film (before the explosion).
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,247
    Message From An Old Friend.
    Square Escape.
    Opening The Doors.

Those tracks are quickly becoming one of the best action tracks in the series.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Square Escape.
    Opening The Doors.

Good call. I also really like I'll Be Right Back, despite it's clear ties to Zimmer's other work. Ties in the theme song well and then really gets the heart pumping.

And Cuba Chase, of course, for me as well.
    Square Escape.
    Opening The Doors.

Good call. I also really like I'll Be Right Back, despite it's clear ties to Zimmer's other work. Ties in the theme song well and then really gets the heart pumping.

And Cuba Chase, of course, for me as well.

Aaah! Yes! those too! Love the whole score. The Factory is another one.
    Shouldn't We Get To Know Each Other First at 00:21-00:35 sounds like Michael Kamen's Licence To Kill. The Latina guitar suits the Cuban scene though.
    That's a good one too. Not a lot of bad ones, Norway Chase is unmemorable.
    That's a good one too. Not a lot of bad ones, Norway Chase is unmemorable.

Yeah, I do like Norway Chase though. I think the first two minutes sounds Bondian...and a bit of Gumbold's Safe from OHMSS can be heard in it and I enjoy the male choir/chants as well.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Square Escape.
    Opening The Doors.

Yeah absolutely mate. When the Bond theme kicks in during Opening The Doors, it's like a boost of adrenaline. Such a wonderful arrangement of the Bond theme and so well used throughout the score
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Square Escape.
    Opening The Doors.

Yeah absolutely mate. When the Bond theme kicks in during Opening The Doors, it's like a boost of adrenaline. Such a wonderful arrangement of the Bond theme and so well used throughout the score

Yeah. It's so cool!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Haven't seen many mention 'Gearing up' but I love that too.
    DCisared wrote: »

It is a great one.
    I like it but it's not one of my favorites. I enjoy the minor chord at the very end; it sounds very Barry.
    DCisared wrote: »

Love Gearing Up as well. Zimmer's signature is all over the track, and yet he still allows us hear the Bond theme.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    In Square Escape I thought, I'd heard some Thomas Newman's action cues from SF/SP...
    Newman scored two Bond movies, So I think Zimmer deserves another chance. Just announce him early and pair him up with a Rock Band....maybe U2 or Depeche Mode for Bond 26.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    maybe U2 or Depeche Mode for Bond 26.

Really? Might as well suggest The Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton.
    maybe U2 or Depeche Mode for Bond 26.

Really? Might as well suggest The Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton.

Or New Order & Pet Shop Boys ;) Well, it's just my way of saying EON should get someone or a band that's really suitable for the job. Not that the songs after YKMN are terrible, but I don't listen to them often, like I listen to YKMN or the Bond songs before YKMN.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 441
    So Zimmer's No Time to Die score made the Academy Award's short list of 15 scores, out of which 5 will be nominated. Hopefully this will be one of those five as it would be well deserved and would be yet another blow to Arnold fans.
    Hopefully we get soon the complete score
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    So Zimmer's No Time to Die score made the Academy Award's short list of 15 scores, out of which 5 will be nominated. Hopefully this will be one of those five as it would be well deserved and would be yet another blow to Arnold fans.
    Dune is far more likely to be nominated - knowing the way the Academy works.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    I've made a complete List of the unreleased Soundtrack

- Safin (Released on Stevemazzaro.com) 5:09
    - Secrets 0:46
    - La Tomba di Lynd 1:20
    - I Miss You (Vespers Theme) 0:51
    - Message From an Old Friend (Film Version - Bridge Attack is different) 5:40
    - Heracles 3:48
    - It's Just a Number 0:17
    - Heracles Weaponized 0:37
    - Flight To Felix's Ship & Fighting 3:25
    - It's a Good Life 1:34
    - Definitely The Same Desk 1:40
    - Recovering Obruchev's Data 1:43
    - A New Patient 2:13
    - Nanobots 3:16
    - Blofelds Entry 1:54
    - Analyzing Cyclops' Mechanical Eye 0:55
    - The End of Blofeld 3:06
    - Home (Film Version) 3:41
    - We've located Logan Ash 0:46
    - History of Safin 2:15
    - The End of Logan Ash 4:02
    - One Drop of Tea 1:55
    - Make The World a Better Place 6:47
    - Permission to Launch 2:20
    - Poisoned 1:54
    - His Name is Bond 1:00
    - We Have All the Time in the World 3:12
    - End Credits (Square Escape/Home V.2/What have you done/Back to MI6) 3:00

I thought they channelled John Barry particularly well in some of this score. It’s very noticeable in “A new Patient” for example. That mysterious unresolved phrase.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I agree that it's a great score and I would very much appreciate the Oscar, but why, pray tell, do we need to give Arnold fans "another blow"? I like what Arnold has done and I like what Zimmer has done.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Arnold fans feel that he was done dirty.

The guy did five scores for a decade. I can’t feel sorry for the guy. Let other composers have a crack at it, I say.