NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I'm a birdwatcher. At one time I didn't so much care for penguins. Yeah, got over it.

74ecf44159732bd26a01740abd654ab1_w200.gif

PROOF that CR was a FLOP
    matt_u wrote: »
    Bond and Marvel play in different leagues. Bond’s audience for roughly a 60% is made of over 35. Marvel is for everybody. I had a Spider-Man backpack when I was 5.

In Germany Bond plays in a league of its own.
    Bond is seen by EVERYONE. Bond is the thing, that passes through every generation. So when a Bond movie is released, you'll find teenagers aswell as the 70+ generation and everyone in between at the theatre.
    With Spiderman and Marvel you mostly just see teenagers and people in their 20's and 30's at the theatre.
    US-Comics in general have no big history in Germany, unlike Bond, that is a father-son-thing from generation to generation.

So No Way Home will become the 2nd biggest movie of the year in Germany, but will not in any case come near No Time To Die.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Bond and Marvel play in different leagues. Bond’s audience for roughly a 60% is made of over 35. Marvel is for everybody. I had a Spider-Man backpack when I was 5.

Bond is seen by EVERYONE. Bond is the thing, that passes through every generation. So when a Bond movie is released, you'll find teenagers aswell as the 70+ generation and everyone in between at the theatre.
    With Spiderman and Marvel you mostly just see teenagers and people in their 20's and 30's at the theatre.
    US-Comics in general have no big history in Germany, unlike Bond, that is a father-son-thing from generation to generation.

So No Way Home will become the 2nd biggest movie of the year in Germany, but will not in any case come near No Time To Die.

That’s pretty sweet, but the rest of the world tells another story. I’d love to see Bond being such a huge thing in Italy as well.
    Spider-Man has a number of incredibly empowered white males. While no time to die had sensitive feminine energy and empowered black women. Yet one is gonna break records in the US and the other flopped. I think the message is clear. They want conservative entertainment.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I don't get the obsession with the records and box office stuff beyond did it make money... NTTD did well and fine enough.
    Spider-Man has a number of incredibly empowered white males. While no time to die had sensitive feminine energy and empowered black women. Yet one is gonna break records in the US and the other flopped. I think the message is clear. They want conservative entertainment.

Uh… what?

That’s pretty sweet, but the rest of the world tells another story. I’d love to see Bond being such a huge thing in Italy as well.

I know.
    Just wanted to let you know, that there is at least one country in the world where Bond is way bigger than Marvel.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Yes. Why did Spiderman chat invade a Bond website?

The haters just want to rub in Spidey's better figures.

Perhaps if Doctor Strange appeared in NTTD and bought back past Bonds and past Villains the haters would be doing cartwheels instead of nattering in glee to rub salt in Bond's wounds.

Thank you. Yes.
  • manovermanover uk
    This forum has become abit weird and odd..
    Why does spideys success impact upons NTTD success?
    Marvel movies have had this type of success for many years...what's the issue?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    So this thread has become a support group for people who hate NTTD to smell each other’s farts?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

I know.
    Just wanted to let you know, that there is at least one country in the world where Bond is way bigger than Marvel.

Same in Switzerland. Marvel movies can't compete against Bond here.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    So in the Netherlands cinema will close at 5PM at least til the 2nd week of January, killing 70/80% of business. That will make Bond lose something like $3M. Just imagine if Bond would’ve come out now… it now stands at $22.3M there…
    If you want to witness a real bomb, look at WEST SIDE STORY.
  • Luckily it didn't come out now, Spidey would have crushed it. NTTD used the best window available to it.

As an aside, Spidey is doing over 500m worldwide as of tomorrow....so NTTD's $773m thereabouts will most likely get punked well before Dec 31 but still the BEST non-Marvel Hollywood movie for the year.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343

Yeah it even dropped a 74% yesterday in the US.

Anyway this new Omicron wave of restrictions will be the cause of NTTD not hitting the $780M mark. It’s mostly the end of an overall better performance than SP, given the circumstances… with SP coming from a huge hype following SF and NTTD following a 18 months delay…
    So in the Netherlands cinema will close at 5PM at least til the 2nd week of January, killing 70/80% of business. That will make Bond lose something like $3M. Just imagine if Bond would’ve come out now… it now stands at $22.3M there…

If I believed in God, I would’ve said Omnicorn was delivered by her to cut down Spidey’s gross box office gross. But even If I don’t, it has the same effect.

The lowest performing Spielberg film since EMPIRE OF THE SUN from the looks of it.

That is news from last week.
    From today on cinemas will be closed completely in the Netherlands.
  • baerrttbaerrtt United kingdom

The lowest performing Spielberg film since EMPIRE OF THE SUN from the looks of it.

Uh… what?

Indeed. That's an incredibly daft thing to say especially when NWH pretty much has the same 'sensitive ' energy and diverse presences onscreen. Spider Man is simply as iconic as Bond,more popular with younger audiences and in a well received film that acts as a literal sequel to every live action big screen SM movie of course the box office is astronomical.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Sense: this makes none.

I teach sixteen to eighteen-year-olds. They've been yelling about "SPIDER-MAN!!!!" for weeks. "Spider-Man is awesome!" "Marvel is cool!" And that 50+ bloke at the end of his famous movie cycle? Yeah, sure, they know Bond, but that can wait. Their excitement involves no politics whatsoever. Besides, Zendaya's ethnicity and Peter's "emo" moments are dropping a stinky load on your "conservative entertainment" thesis, @Benjamin_Weekly69. Don't worry, it's all about one brand selling better than another right now. There is no "message".
    Either that or he is doing too good a job at satire for me to realize it at first glance.
    Having never seen original West Side Story or being familiar with the tunes, I watched the trailer with complete indifference. It was just a series of meme type dialogue and then being told it’s the “cinema event of the year” - that seemed to be a desperate attempt to make me care. Absolutely no desire to see
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    All the people saying B25 did stellar returns for a pandemic film, that we couldn't have hoped for better need to explain how spider-man just absolutely trounced its numbers in the first weekend lol. The narrative that no film could do pre-pandemic numbers is falling apart before our eyes, no way home is set to be at least as successful as the first two entries, if not more.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Having never seen original West Side Story or being familiar with the tunes, I watched the trailer with complete indifference. It was just a series of meme type dialogue and then being told it’s the “cinema event of the year” - that seemed to be a desperate attempt to make me care. Absolutely no desire to see

Me too. I heard about the new WSS film a few months ago and I simply felt … nothing. No anticipation or dread or anything at all. Whatever.

Whereas when I heard that Villeneuve was doing Dune I felt more anticipation for a film than I had felt in years.
    All the people saying B25 did stellar returns for a pandemic film, that we couldn't have hoped for better need to explain how spider-man just absolutely trounced its numbers in the first weekend lol. The narrative that no film could do pre-pandemic numbers is falling apart before our eyes, no way home is set to be at least as successful as the first two entries, if not more.

Spider-Man has ALWAYS trounced Bond at the box office, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Bond still had a stellar performance. I don't think anyone is surprised by this at all. I've said many pages ago that No Way Home was most likely to top the box office at the end.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,449
    Either that or he is doing too good a job at satire for me to realize it at first glance.

Could be. Hopefully, it is. ;-)
    manover wrote: »
    This forum has become abit weird and odd..
    Why does spideys success impact upons NTTD success?
    Marvel movies have had this type of success for many years...what's the issue?

No, not this forum. Just a few people on this forum. The fact that NTTD is doing well means, along with its good scores on various websites, that it is being well-received by the general public, which tells those who dislike the film that they most likely hold the minority view in the debate. It's easier to be able to say that "EVERYONE" [Gary Oldman voice] hates what EON did with NTTD, than to have to admit that "everyone" means those two or three people who live with you. But "EVERYONE" isn't hating NTTD, for from it, in fact, as the numbers and reviews indicate.

So the next step is to look for other numbers that are big enough to somehow crush the optimism surrounding NTTD's BO results. A new film that scoops up a billion dollars overnight can't come soon enough. Such a film would dethrone NTTD as the big film hit of the year in the West. The rhetoric could then be "See! All it took was so-and-so and [insert infantile variation on NTTD's title] means nothing anymore." To quote one E. Carver: "Pathetic!"
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

Spider-Man has ALWAYS trounced Bond at the box office, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Bond still had a stellar performance. I don't think anyone is surprised by this at all. I've said many pages ago that No Way Home was most likely to top the box office at the end.

Don't feed the troll.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,449

"B25" has a name.

The Bond films cannot--can never hope to reach the same levels as Spidey. But NTTD did better than Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals, three films that carry the Marvel Avengers brand, one of which features a lead character from the big Infinity saga.

Spider-Man beating any Bond film was to be expected, in pre-Covid times as well as in Covic times. Returns can be stellar even if they aren't the highest of the year. Even Skyfall made less than The Avengers. So, bad film? We shouldn't be happy for SF now? First place or loser, something like that?
    Were conversations in 2012 like this with SKYFALL detractors?

"Ha! AVENGERS made four hundred million dollars more than SKYFALL. HOW EMBARRASSING for Sam Mendes!"

Were there any THUNDERBALL haters back in 1965?

"The hills are alive with THE SOUND OF MUSIC, not so much for THUNDERBALL!"
    Were conversations in 2012 like this with SKYFALL detractors?

"Ha! AVENGERS made four hundred million dollars more than SKYFALL. HOW EMBARRASSING for Sam Mendes!"

Were there any THUNDERBALL haters back in 1965?

"The hills are alive with THE SOUND OF MUSIC, not so much for THUNDERBALL!"

Now that you mention it, what are we doing here? This entire film series is drowning in the shame of not finishing first all the time. James Bond fans should keep their mouths shut because they've got NOTHING to be proud of. Finishing second--how DARE they!? We should be flogged for our arrogance.