NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

1159160162164165172

Comments

  • NTTD was a huge hit critically and commercially. Facts speak for themselves. Marvel and superhero genre are sadly more popular in America than Bond but he's a Global icon just as popular as ever and America is no longer the barometer for box office success it once was.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Is it true that theaters in the UK may be close starting from December 27th?
  • Posts: 1,314
    Probably -
    Just back from no way home. I thought it was really good. It is what it is, but in terms of knowing the audience and delivering the goods it soared where Bond crashed and burned IMO.

    I hope we go down the celebratory, fun and confident road with the next interation
  • A Bond film that's a mix of GE and CR is what I'd like to see next. $Billion gross easily.
  • Posts: 724
    NTTD was a huge hit critically and commercially. Facts speak for themselves. Marvel and superhero genre are sadly more popular in America than Bond but he's a Global icon just as popular as ever and America is no longer the barometer for box office success it once was.

    You make it sound like no way home isn’t breaking records worldwide. Are you okay?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,298
    Clearly, NWH is one of the biggest films we've had in years if not decades. It's steamrolling previous records. I don't think anyone is denying its incredible successes.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Posts: 692
    I'm not even sure why it's a competition. Bond is Bond. Spidey is Spidey. Like one of them, like both of them, or like neither. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

    The Numbers has it as $774m ww. Spidey's opening weekend was 600m worldwide and will trounce Bond soon but not a big deal, Bond still did well.

  • Posts: 625
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

    MGM just hasn't updated the numbers yet.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,517
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm not even sure why it's a competition. Bond is Bond. Spidey is Spidey. Like one of them, like both of them, or like neither. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

    Exactly. Super thrilled to have had NTTD and NWH in such short order. At the end of the day, IMO, the theatre-goers are the winners.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 652
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm not even sure why it's a competition. Bond is Bond. Spidey is Spidey. Like one of them, like both of them, or like neither. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

    Exactly. Super thrilled to have had NTTD and NWH in such short order. At the end of the day, IMO, the theatre-goers are the winners.
    Sadly, theatres just closed here again in Quebec ... and we are in the midst of another lock-down. Glad to have had the opportunity to see NTTD so many times in recent months. It feels like a respite from this cursed pandemic ....
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,517
    As far as I know ours are still open, but who knows how long that'll last.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,560
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

    It could be. I don't see any showtimes (AMC/Alamo) for NTTD here in NYC after Tuesday (12/21).

  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,354
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

    It could be. I don't see any showtimes (AMC/Alamo) for NTTD here in NYC after Tuesday (12/21).

    All of my local theaters pulled it upon Spidermans release. Figure in the states it can be purchased today in stores.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    LA is still showing it.
  • Posts: 1,314
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 4,247
    I would be very surprised if the next Bond era isn't mission-based and standalone adventures.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,953
    I have zero expectations of what the next Bond era will hold. It could either be a throwback/old school type of Bond film or be something completely different from what came before, including Craig’s run.
  • Posts: 1,314
    The introspective darkness seems a little dated moving forward IMO. Especially as we all have a good reason to escape from reality for 2 hours.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Well I have a feeling they will go for some more lighthearted stuff with the next one. I agree that darker entertainment may be dated in a post pandemic world, especially for a globetrotting adventure with Bond in it, and going that route will mark a fresh new start after the more serious Craig era.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,953
    Matt007 wrote: »
    The introspective darkness seems a little dated moving forward IMO. Especially as we all have a good reason to escape from reality for 2 hours.

    Introspective darkness can be escapist entertainment.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,547
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

  • I shudder to think what the BO for the new Matrix film will look like.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I shudder to think what the BO for the new Matrix film will look like.

    I'm feeling a massive flop.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,953
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    Marvel fans are happy to enjoy all the cute Easter eggs whereas there’s a subset of Bond fans crossing their arms over Craig driving a DB5.

    Thankfully I saw SKYFALL with the right crowd in theaters. When that DB5 showed up, everyone cheered. The logistics of how Craig Bond got it did not matter one iota.

    Though I think Easter eggs can only be done well depending on execution. I love GHOSTBUSTERS, but all the references in AFTERLIFE fell flat for me.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,314
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    You know what. I’m mistaken to a degree. I watched far from home the night before and they kind of blended into one. Yeah - accept your point to a degree.

    I thought far.. was the better film. But they were both great.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 4,247
    I have zero expectations of what the next Bond era will hold. It could either be a throwback/old school type of Bond film or be something completely different from what came before, including Craig’s run.

    Yeah, could be. But honestly, I'm seeing a very slick adventure for Bond 26. And I can't help but think in the vein of TLD, GE & CR.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I don’t know it really looks like its NA run is over with $160,772,007.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,354
    matt_u wrote: »
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I shudder to think what the BO for the new Matrix film will look like.

    I'm feeling a massive flop.

    It would have been more successful not releasing it around Spiderman. It should have been released at Thanksgiving
  • I like Spiderman movies but give me Daniel Craig era Bond ahead of him anyday
Sign In or Register to comment.