NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    NTTD is neither being unanimously praised, nor hated. So will the polarised views remain or not? In ten years from now, assuming another Bond film or two have been made, how will people look back on these films?

Until Bond dies again (not anytime soon I'd think) NTTD will always be remembered as the one where he gets a daughter and he dies. It will always have that notoriety for those elements as well as polarising fans. I'm sure future fans will be divided just as they are now. And I couldn't be arsed because I liked the film.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    @Mendes4Lyfe I went back to the start of this thread, because I remembered you predicting a box office disaster. And you did as well, those were your exact words in fact, so it’s no surprise you’re now trying to downplay the film’s success. But I also found this from you, on page 2

“I think it would be seriously impressive if Bond 25 reached somewhere in the ballpark of 750 - 800 million”

So, NTTD’s gross would be seriously impressive, in your own words, even if we don’t take the pandemic and all those other factors into account. And we obviously should take the pandemic into account, so, to sum up. NTTD did numbers that would be “seriously impressive” in normal circumstances, while there’s a global pandemic going on, after multiple delays affected everything from marketing (can’t re-release the theme song, and there’s only so many times you can make a new trailer) to the release schedule (Bond was up against Venom, Dune, Eternals). And to top it all off, it’s literally the third highest grossing film of all time in the UK.

That’s not a reasonable success like LTK. It’s a very big success, and Spiderman being even more successful doesn’t change that.

@Mendes4Lyfe just got completely hoisted by his own petard. Oh my god, how embarrassing. =))
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    NTTD is neither being unanimously praised, nor hated. So will the polarised views remain or not? In ten years from now, assuming another Bond film or two have been made, how will people look back on these films?

Until Bond dies again (not anytime soon I'd think) NTTD will always be remembered as the one where he gets a daughter and he dies. It will always have that notoriety for those elements as well as polarising fans. I'm sure future fans will be divided just as they are now. And I couldn't be arsed because I liked the film.

Many films get re-assessed over time. OHMSS and LTK are two examples, and they have each seen an elevation in their status in recent years, as a result.

In similar manner...

NTTD will be re-assessed, and it will undoubtedly go down as one of the most important Bond films ever made. That is my prediction.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    You’re 100% correct, @TripAces. NTTD will pave the path for a bright future for our beloved franchise, and will gleefully leave Mendes, chris, slide, and Dimdim far behind. They’ll continue to post their displeasure on this online message board which no one from EON will ever frequent, making their constant vitriol a waste of breath and time, screaming into the void. At least they can take solace by embracing their DAD DVDs and reminisce about “the good ol’ days.”
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 7,500
    NTTD has definitely put us in grounbreaking new waters:

No one can longer say a climax lacks danger because "we know Bond will survive".

No one can joke anymore about "why the Bond villain never just shoots Bond?"

No one can say that Bond can never be a family man.

This puts an exciting premise for the next era. It is not that the next films necessarily will follow up in the same vein. But knowing that anything is possible is exciting.
    TripAces wrote: »

Many films get re-assessed over time. OHMSS and LTK are two examples, and they have each seen an elevation in their status in recent years, as a result.

In similar manner...

NTTD will be re-assessed, and it will undoubtedly go down as one of the most important Bond films ever made. That is my prediction.

NTTD doesn't have to be re-assessed, because it was not a flop like OHMSS and LTK.
    It is already beloved by many Bond fans.

It already has higher imdb- and RT-ratings than OHMSS and LTK. And it was a bigger success at the box office than OHMSS and LTK.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    LTK wasn’t a flop, and neither was OHMSS. Licence To Kill made $156 million from a $32million budget. It made more than 4x it’s budget, almost 5x, that’s not a flop.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    “Underperformed” is the proper term, as in they didn’t perform as well as their predecessors at the box office. TMWTGG is another example, as it was a massive drop after LALD was the highest grossing Bond film at that time.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/James-Bond#tab=summary
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Being the second largest film worldwide with over $700m doesn’t look too bad, no matter how you try to slice it in order to push a narrative that makes NTTD look unfavorable.

Nice try.

Yes. It now stands at $774M and it’s worth mentioning that without theaters being shut down in a lot of regions in China and with an hypothetical day and date release in Australia/NZ as well it would’ve easily crossed $800M worldwide…
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "Underperformed" just makes it sound like a flop, without outright calling it a flop. It's haters can't accept that it was a hit. "But but but it wasn't as big as...." doesn't matter, it still did good numbers. $156 million from a $32 million budget, that's damn good.

I'm a Craig hater, I'll fly that tag proudly, I didn't like NTTD on the whole, and I hated the ending. But I can still give the film some credit, that is has done ok under the circumstances.

Though that link does make for an interesting read. There appears to be a downward trend through the 80's, a brief spike with TLD (introducing the new Bond), then drops down again with TLD. Also the budgets for the Craig era are unbelievable. On one hand, I didn't realize that CR had a budget of $102 million. But then on the other hand, they get ridiculous over the following films. $300million for SPECTRE? Where did it all go?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    "Underperformed" just makes it sound like a flop, without outright calling it a flop. It's haters can't accept that it was a hit. "But but but it wasn't as big as...." doesn't matter, it still did good numbers. $156 million from a $32 million budget, that's damn good.

I'm a Craig hater, I'll fly that tag proudly, I didn't like NTTD on the whole, and I hated the ending. But I can still give the film some credit, that is has done ok under the circumstances.

Though that link does make for an interesting read. There appears to be a downward trend through the 80's, a brief spike with TLD (introducing the new Bond), then drops down again with TLD. Also the budgets for the Craig era are unbelievable. On one hand, I didn't realize that CR had a budget of $102 million. But then on the other hand, they get ridiculous over the following films. $300million for SPECTRE? Where did it all go?

Explosives? 😉😁
    $300million for SPECTRE? Where did it all go?

Paying the people of Rome to stay off their streets while they filmed a car chase?

Seriously though IMO the best explanation for why SP cost $300 million is that it actually didn’t. I think about $150 million would be a better ballpark for what it actually cost.

Explosives? 😉😁

Oh, of course. Mendes record setting explosion. #-o Still though, I mean.... while I am one of the few people to have something nice to say about parts of SP, that explosion really didn't look so impressive to watch.
    $300million for SPECTRE? Where did it all go?

Paying the people of Rome to stay off their streets while they filmed a car chase?

Seriously though IMO the best explanation for why SP cost $300 million is that it actually didn’t. I think about $150 million would be a better ballpark for what it actually cost.

Really? I am no expert on BO, but if that's true, that SP only cost $150M, how can $300M be quoted? That's quite a jump. $150M would make sense.
    They can quote whatever number for the budget they like. No one outside of their accountants, their auditors and the tax authorities will ever see the real accounts.

IMO budget figures quoted to the public are just pre-release hype like everything else
    "Underperformed" just makes it sound like a flop, without outright calling it a flop.

I think of them as entirely different terms. A film that underperforms is one that is modestly successful but didn’t come close to meeting box office expectations, and LTK was undeniably one.

A flop is something like what WEST SIDE STORY appears to be. Dead on arrival. A $100 million dollar musical dropping like a stone after just one week. NO Bond film has ever seen a catastrophe on that level.
    "Underperformed" just makes it sound like a flop, without outright calling it a flop.

I think of them as entirely different terms. A film that underperforms is one that is modestly successful but didn’t come close to meeting box office expectations, and LTK was undeniably one.

A flop is something like what WEST SIDE STORY appears to be. Dead on arrival. A $100 million dollar musical dropping like a stone after just one week. NO Bond film has ever seen a catastrophe on that level.

Has Spielberg ever had a flop like that before?
    jobo wrote: »

Has Spielberg ever had a flop like that before?

Not like this. Even his lowest grossing film SUGARLAND EXPRESS was a low budget film so it likely made a decent profit.
  • manovermanover uk
    NTTD has outperformed 3 marvel movies and a fast and furious movie in 2021..2nd biggest movie of the year...strong reviews...all in a pandemic...I would say its performed very well indeed.
    Bravo to eon..and well done Mr Craig.
    manover wrote: »
    NTTD has outperformed 3 marvel movies and a fast and furious movie in 2021..2nd biggest movie of the year...strong reviews...all in a pandemic...I would say its performed very well indeed.
    Bravo to eon..and well done Mr Craig.

Exactly and it did that against F9 that grossed $200M in China alone.
    LTK wasn’t a flop, and neither was OHMSS. Licence To Kill made $156 million from a $32million budget. It made more than 4x it’s budget, almost 5x, that’s not a flop.

I know, that both OHMSS and LTK were no financial flops.
    Just wanted to say, that more people went to see NTTD at the cinema than OHMSS or LTK.
  • NTTD was a huge hit critically and commercially. Facts speak for themselves. Marvel and superhero genre are sadly more popular in America than Bond but he's a Global icon just as popular as ever and America is no longer the barometer for box office success it once was.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Is it true that theaters in the UK may be close starting from December 27th?
    Probably -
    Just back from no way home. I thought it was really good. It is what it is, but in terms of knowing the audience and delivering the goods it soared where Bond crashed and burned IMO.

I hope we go down the celebratory, fun and confident road with the next interation
  • A Bond film that's a mix of GE and CR is what I'd like to see next. $Billion gross easily.
    NTTD was a huge hit critically and commercially. Facts speak for themselves. Marvel and superhero genre are sadly more popular in America than Bond but he's a Global icon just as popular as ever and America is no longer the barometer for box office success it once was.

You make it sound like no way home isn’t breaking records worldwide. Are you okay?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Clearly, NWH is one of the biggest films we've had in years if not decades. It's steamrolling previous records. I don't think anyone is denying its incredible successes.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm not even sure why it's a competition. Bond is Bond. Spidey is Spidey. Like one of them, like both of them, or like neither. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

The Numbers has it as $774m ww. Spidey's opening weekend was 600m worldwide and will trounce Bond soon but not a big deal, Bond still did well.

Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

MGM just hasn't updated the numbers yet.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm not even sure why it's a competition. Bond is Bond. Spidey is Spidey. Like one of them, like both of them, or like neither. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Exactly. Super thrilled to have had NTTD and NWH in such short order. At the end of the day, IMO, the theatre-goers are the winners.