NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

1155156158160161173

Comments

  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    This time around the extra excitement comes mainly from the fact that in this film there are a lot of characters coming back from the Raimi and Webb universes… NWH it’s like the Queen Greatest Hits of the Spidey universe.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 7,424
    matt_u wrote: »
    This time around the extra excitement comes mainly from the fact that in this film there are a lot of characters coming back from the Raimi and Webb universes… NWH it’s like the Queen Greatest Hits of the Spidey universe.

    Wow. That zzzzzzzzzzzounds zzzzzzzzo exczzzzzzzzziting....
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Posts: 1,165
    I have no interest in watching Spider-Man Homecoming or Far From Home, but even I’ll probably check out the new one if only for nostalgia’s sake.
  • I love Spidey films but not at the expense of Bonds success at the box office. NTTD is without doubt the most intelligent and thrilling blockbuster of any genre ive seen in a long time. The ending was the ballsiest move EON have ever taken with the franchise. I think it may be the main reason DC made the film. Apart from the huge salary of course.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,322
    Minion wrote: »
    I have no interest in watching Spider-Man Homecoming or Far From Home, but even I’ll probably check out the new one if only for nostalgia’s sake.

    I'd recommend them if only for Michael Keaton as Vulture, and Jake Gyllenhall as Mysterio. Also, NWH picks up immediately where FFH left off, so it's worth at least familiarizing yourself with it.
  • Minion wrote: »
    I have no interest in watching Spider-Man Homecoming or Far From Home, but even I’ll probably check out the new one if only for nostalgia’s sake.

    I'd recommend them if only for Michael Keaton as Vulture, and Jake Gyllenhall as Mysterio. Also, NWH picks up immediately where FFH left off, so it's worth at least familiarizing yourself with it.

    I think NWH is doing alright without a couple of Bond geeks disinterested in seeing it.

    Box Office: ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Heads for Historic $220M-Plus Debut

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/spider-man-box-office-massive-previews-1235064378/
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,322
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    I have no interest in watching Spider-Man Homecoming or Far From Home, but even I’ll probably check out the new one if only for nostalgia’s sake.

    I'd recommend them if only for Michael Keaton as Vulture, and Jake Gyllenhall as Mysterio. Also, NWH picks up immediately where FFH left off, so it's worth at least familiarizing yourself with it.

    I think NWH is doing alright without a couple of Bond geeks disinterested in seeing it.

    Box Office: ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Heads for Historic $220M-Plus Debut

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/spider-man-box-office-massive-previews-1235064378/

    The person I was responding to I think was interested in seeing NWH. They weren’t as interested in the first two Spider-Man films and I was just recommending them on their (IMO) merits. I don’t care about NWH’s box office.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    At this rate it will make something like $1.4B by the end of its run, sans China.

    I’ll give it a try in January. The previous two were garbage but I’m curious to see Dafoe’s Goblin and Molina’s Doc Ock again.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,846
    matt_u wrote: »
    At this rate it will make something like $1.4B by the end of its run, sans China.

    I’ll give it a try in January. The previous two were garbage but I’m curious to see Dafoe’s Goblin and Molina’s Doc Ock again.

    Just my opinion, but if you love Spider-Man then this is a movie you should give a shot. It pretty much “fixes” the issues fans criticized of the last two Holland films by giving him a film that feels more traditionally Spidey. I’m really looking forward to where they go with his character now that they’ve effectively given him a soft reboot.

    Actually not too dissimilar from what SKYFALL did, I only hope Holland’s next film isn’t the SPECTRE of Spider-Man’s.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 13,145
    Whilst the box office of other blockbuster films is valid discussion, it’s starting to feel like this thread is becoming too focused on Spider-Man : No Way Home.
    If we can remember this is in large part a discussion for the box office of NTTD. Thanks.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 13,077
    Looks like NTTD is winding down here in Aussie cinemas. This Thursday coming seems to be its last day at Reading, and another week or two at all other chains. It was expected - with what I believe is a 45(?) day window - to wrap up around Christmas Day.

    I'll sneak in one more viewing this week.
  • Yes. Why did Spiderman chat invade a Bond website?
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 603
    Yeah, this thread has basically become a support group for Bond fans unable to cope with the possibility of a Spider-Man movie besting NTTD at the box office.

    Although, admittedly I'm getting a lot of entertainment from the snobbery about American audiences and forum members throwing around the words "adult" and "mature" to somehow argue that NTTD has more on its mind than the escapism of Marvel.

    FYI: A movie where a supervillain sits in prison but sends out orders via his henchman's bionic eye is comic book stuff. And don't even get me started on the nanobots.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Yeah, this thread has basically become a support group for Bond fans unable to cope with the possibility of a Spider-Man movie besting NTTD at the box office.

    Although, admittedly I'm getting a lot of entertainment from the snobbery about American audiences and forum members throwing around the words "adult" and "mature" to somehow argue that NTTD has more on its mind than the escapism of Marvel.

    Lol this post is beyond ridiculous. First, we knew since ages that Spidey would’ve been a super hit and the highest grossing film of the pandemic era. It was reported a lot in this thread over the last couple of months. So if someone is feeling disappointed by that we are talking about fools but inhere no one seems surprised by that. Second, are you really trying to deny the fact that Spidey is a lighter and more kid friendly kind of entertainment than a Bond? It’s fine if you feel offended by the fact that US audiences seem to care only about standardized Marvel superhero movies - just look at your domestic poll - but at least do that without spreading nonsense…
  • Posts: 699
    The cope and seethe in this thread. Lol.
  • Posts: 603
    matt_u wrote: »
    Second, are you really trying to deny the fact that Spidey is a lighter and more kid friendly kind of entertainment than a Bond?

    NTTD is dumber than a box of rocks. The death of its hero is a grasp for significance that the film doesn't earn, but it's being used as a strawman to silence any criticism.

    Take a couple of the better Marvel films -- IRON MAN and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER -- and you'll see two solidly crafted comic book entertainments that deliver the goods with little to no pretensions, and both have stronger writing than NTTD.

    And since some of you are still tearing out your hair about the U.S. box office, take note that NO WAY HOME is breaking records in the U.K. as well:

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/spider-man-no-way-home-defies-u-k-omicron-surge-with-no-time-to-die-besting-opening-haul-1235063648/

  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    Yes. Why did Spiderman chat invade a Bond website?

    The haters just want to rub in Spidey's better figures.

    Perhaps if Doctor Strange appeared in NTTD and bought back past Bonds and past Villains the haters would be doing cartwheels instead of nattering in glee to rub salt in Bond's wounds.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    So? In the UK Spidey is doing great but it won’t go anything near Bond’s whopping £97M.
    The fact that you hate the film doesn’t mean it’s a bad film and the worldwide success of the film proves audiences liked it a lot. Let’s not forget NTTD over performed globally. Given the pandemic, its older demographic more reluctant to pack cinemas and such a long delay no one saw it crossing the $700M mark.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,152
    matt_u wrote: »
    So? In the UK Spidey is doing great but it won’t go anything near Bond’s whopping £97M.
    The fact that you hate the film doesn’t mean it’s a bad film and the worldwide success of the film proves audiences liked it a lot. Let’s not forget NTTD over performed globally. Given the pandemic, its older demographic more reluctant to pack cinemas and such a long delay no one saw it crossing the $700M mark.

    Exactly. People aren't bringing kids to Bond as they would Spiderman. Its a moot point comparing Bond to really anything Marvel..
  • manovermanover uk
    Posts: 170
    Why all this angst...what's wrong with people.
    Bond has done very well...Good boxoffice...generally good reviews...its all cool guys.
    Spiderman obviously will do well as well...so what?
    Enough space for other movies to do well as well...once again..so what.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 603
    matt_u wrote: »
    The fact that you hate the film doesn’t mean it’s a bad film and the worldwide success of the film proves audiences liked it a lot.

    I thought it was mediocre and probably wouldn't rate it in the bottom five, believe it or not. I think its script is comic book nonsense and even idiotic, but so are the scripts for DAF and MR... the difference being that fans wouldn't argue the latter are examples of "mature" adult entertainment. The Craig fetishists, however, are going on and on about NTTD like it's the second coming of Ingmar Bergman.

    As for whether the Bond films are geared to kids, explain to me why they're deliberately produced with a PG-13 rating -- wouldn't EON aim for an R if it was meant primarily for adults?

    Also, this:


  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    Oh come on…
  • Escalus5 wrote: »
    The Craig fetishists, however, are going on and on about NTTD like it's the second coming of Ingmar Bergman.

    What rubbish. If you hate the film you don't have to stink it up for those who appreciate it, and actually want it to succeed.

  • Posts: 603
    What rubbish. If you hate the film

    I didn’t hate the film — I thought it was mediocre. Maybe try reading my posts before you comment.

  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    Perhaps if they weren't so nasty....calling it nonsense and idiotic and referring to Craig fans as fetishists and then trying to be so ignorant about it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,846
    I like Spider-Man and Bond. I like NO WAY HOME and NO TIME TO DIE.

    Both being box office hits is a win IMO.
  • Agreed. I also own over 1500 Spidey comics.....
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,152
    I like Spider-Man and Bond. I like NO WAY HOME and NO TIME TO DIE.

    Both being box office hits is a win IMO.

    Me too. It's not a competition. Spiderman would have outgrossed Bond, pandemic or not
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,292
    Bond and Marvel play in different leagues. Bond’s audience for roughly a 60% is made of over 35. Marvel is for everybody. I had a Spider-Man backpack when I was 5. Even tho its fair to say that Marvel plays a league on its own even within the superhero genre, especially if you think about the fact that FFH would’ve likely outgrossed Infinity War’s $2B without COVID (and a China release).

    I mean. No sane person was pissed or angry when Avengers outgrossed SF - the highest grossing Bond film ever produced and that probably won’t ever be topped - by more than $400M.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 11,290
    I'm a birdwatcher. At one time I didn't so much care for penguins. Yeah, got over it.

    74ecf44159732bd26a01740abd654ab1_w200.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.